The Family Room (and the Vent Tent) of First Time Raiding Experience

So you want to get into raiding, try out a couple "hard" end game instances, gather a team of fellow adventures together that you can proudly call them "MY TEAM"?

Welcome to the vent tent and family room of first time raiding experiences.

Long story short, I enjoy RP in this game, and I almost spend more than half of my time RPing when I'm logged on. I still call myself a casual PVE player most of the time. BUT some time, just some time - I get that itch. That I want to clear certain contents, get the better level of gears that mostly only drop in those raids, and meet people who are hard core PVE players and talk about nerdy things outside of RP - now, if you're still reading, you know that itch!! 

This past week, I started trying to clear Sephirot Extreme myself as a first baby step to approach the cool kids club of raiding. After few(or more) hours of going around and finding people, recruiting in party finder, talking through mechanics, finally, on the second night of trying, I survived long enough to see the adds in phase 2. As tedious as it may sound like, it was a GREAT feeling to see those adds sprawn - and then we wiped quickly about five seconds later. Honestly it took much longer than I thought, and now I start to get an idea of what I hear about people complaining and talking about when they try to get a raid group together or start trying new content with a team - either way, it's not easy. A good amount of patience and effort has to be put into the process before you get somewhere.

With that said, first time raiding experiences can be...dreading, horrifying, disappointing, though more often than not entertaining. Sometimes it's about learning the fun mechanics and trying to play your class the best you can, sometimes it’s about the people you meet that bring both the misery and the fun. This will be the place for you to vent, to talk about the struggle of trying to get into raid, to share those horrifying and funny experiences with each other, to complain, to encourage one another, or to share the wonderful moments if you've cleared something after weeks of trying - we don't oppose happy posts, though we may just be some bitter grumpy first timers in this raiding world ;) 

After all, it is OK to fail. it is OK to be unexperienced. It is OK to panic or get stressed out in certain situations. Most importantly, it is ok to try out new things - even if you think you’re not ready but you really just want to take that first step and see how it goes. Sometimes, that first step is everything you need to get going. Hopefully, this thread will help you realize that you’re not alone in this experience.

In addition, this doesn't have to be strictly for hard-core raiding experience. Not even just for so-called "raids" instances. For example, as mentioned above I am starting to try and clear Sephirot Ex myself, some consider it soft core raiding because of the complexity and amount of mechanics, but officially it is just a trial. This is for starters, new-comers, and people who may be interested in this sort of experience. Mature raiders are more than welcome to join the discussion as I'm sure you know all about the pain, the struggle and all the other wonderful experiences along the way. ;)

I like Gegenji’s rules on the poor pugs and other terrible tales thread - so I got inspired and borrowed some ideas in regarding to set the rules of what not to do in this thread (Thank you Gegenji! they’re good rules). So, please note that although this is a place to complain, here’s the rules I’d like put down: 

1. No name calling. You can say “the tank”, the “the pug healer” as you wish - but this is a thread to share experiences, not a place to name call your raid buddy who did poorly last night in the practice group and shout at the world that they need to do better - so no public shaming, or starting a catty war with someone specifically. Try not to target a whole group either, for example, one bad pug header doesn’t mean all of them are bad, all in all, just be reasonable with your words - they can be such powerful tools!
  2. At the end of the day, be a kind human (or a cat, whatever it is that you identify with). We all fail at some point, we all panic under stressful situations (and mostly I mean, during raids), we may lose our temper occasionally - but this should be a place for people to bond, over both negative complains and warm encouragements. So - be nice!

I have so much complains myself only after a couple nights of trying (the story about my Sephirot Experience is just getting started) and I can’t wait to share them with you - I’d rather not put all of them in this first post, so I’ll reply under it :)

Enjoy and good luck!

Oh man don't get me started. 

I usually end up having to pug things here and there and it's always the same...

1) "Hey it's a farm party! I have a clear on my alt"  - Dies Over and over again

2) "Hey I watched a video!" - Hasn't watched a video

3) "You never said how were were gonna do that mechanic" - Yes we did

4) "I just need to find a group that won't hold me back" - Is holding everyone back.

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.

4) "I just need to find a group that won't hold me back" - Is holding everyone back.

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.

This, except ours disbanded the static, since they organized it, and poached the best of us while being measurably the worst dps among us by far even when buffed constantly by the bard to his and my own detriment, in an attempt to clear AS4 before nerfs. This denied at least 4 people their timely clear, which we were close to, and their new supergroup still failed to clear before the patch.

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.

This, except ours disbanded the static, since they organized it, and poached the best of us while being measurably the worst dps among us by far even when buffed constantly by the bard to his and my own detriment, in an attempt to clear AS4 before nerfs. This denied at least 4 people their timely clear, which we were close to, and their new supergroup still failed to clear before the patch.

I just gave up on the last raid cycle because it was sort of toxic. It destroyed three statics I was in, and I got tired of it. 

Midas is going a lot better though. 

I know that feel though, I've been in a lot of groups where one person is just bad, but they will never get replaced because of personal reasons (They are dating, married, best friends with the person in charge). So you just end up wiping over and over for weeks until the static explodes.

"I wanted to try clear this on my dps, maybe it's a bad idea. Can I switch job with someone and be healer?" - switches with someone, reenter, heals horribly, messes up on mechanics over and over again BOTH before and after, gets called out then soon enough "sleepy time for me! o/' with smily face

The first run I ever did of sephirot ex was me and a friend was trying to clear Thordan Ex. Well she was getting time for her raid, suddenly she tells me that they needed a replacement off tank to go for their clear. Despite my protests she kept telling them not to let  me leave. Finally they convinced me to go. I'm nearly hyperventilating due to panic from the fact I was filling in for probably the  best tank I know, with this super hard core group. I somehow managed to survive the first two phases, but I didn't get very far into phase 3. Nearly swore off any sort of hard core raider content after that.

Watching a bunch of corpses slide off a sloping deck and into the sea still tops my MMO raid experience chart.

I can honestly say I'd never had to worry about the physics of corpses before that point.

"QUICK RAISE THEM BEFORE THEY SLIDE IN!!!"

Is this a thread to convince people to not raid?

Is the PUG dungeon thread there to convince people not to do dungeons?

Edit: Idk, I think you can complain about something and still like it.

pug thread is for pugs

this thread is for first time raiders. aka the very people who would read this and go "hm i should probably not bother since there is a good chance that the derp they complain about will be me."

but whatever i guess you guys have fun.

If you can't handle possibly screwing everything up and having people complain about  you, then yeah you probably shouldn't raid.

Because you will, a lot. Over and over and over, and people will complain, even if you did everything right. 

However that's the only way you get better, and one day you'll be the person everyone is relying on. So far the only people who I've complained about are those who act like they are god's gift to ffxiv, and turn out to be bad. 

If someone is new and admits they're new, then I don't have any reason to complain about them if they screw up, it's expected.

I learned Levi Ex going in blind as a bat as a tank mind you. But then again I hit it up as it was new at the time.

Regardless there's always going to be someone bitching to you, take it as constructive criticism and move on with your development.

The world would be boring if we didn't have people we didn't like.

pug thread is for pugs

this thread is for first time raiders. aka the very people who would read this and go "hm i should probably not bother since there is a good chance that the derp they complain about will be me."

but whatever i guess you guys have fun.

So I have changed the name of the thread. I feel like perhaps putting "vent tent" as the main theme was giving the wrong idea - that this thread is ONLY about complaining others in raiding. 

WELL IT IS NOT :evil:

But you know, to take care of the delicate flowers out there, including myself sometimes - it is now the Cozy Family Room. It is just fun for a bunch of people who share the same experience to come together and talk about it, venting or not. I hope what you find is not dis-encouragement but the comfort that someone else out there is also trying/suffering/failing/ or succeeding and experiencing the same thing you're trying to do. ^

I'd never want to discourage anyone from raiding at all. I miss it terribly, but I personally don't want to do it without friends, and I'm still burnt by the whole static collapse thing. I want to make sure my next group does not have someone who has that much control of the static alone. I'm positive I'll do this again sometime this year. I just wanted it to be with some of the people who I originally raided with. I wonder if that'll be possible now that several of them have left the game, ostensibly temporarily but it's been quite some time now...

UGHGHGHGGHGHGH

5c5d15ba12186a9f57c15be5ed16130d.jpg 

Well... there's always next week.

Do you even Hallow Ground bruh

I have to use it for a different part of the fight T_T

Sounds like the talk of a quitter.

Hidoi, Aaron-kun.

Had a classic a few days ago in a pug. One healer kept dying and we were struggling.

Healer declairs, "This group won't clear!" and promptly left.

Got a replacement, one shot and done.

What they meant, I think, is "This group won't carry me"

UGHGHGHGGHGHGH

5c5d15ba12186a9f57c15be5ed16130d.jpg 

Well... there's always next week.

Hidoi, Aaron-kun.

Yeah well I don't know what that means! So yeah, take that.

Hidoi, Aaron-kun.

Yeah well I don't know what that means! So yeah, take that.

Hidoi: Japanese word that means 'Awful' or 'How cruel'

If you don't know the meaning of -kun, I don't know how you have survived in the internet.

*Goes back to her summer HW.*

After three weeks of pain, I finally cleared A7S last night (not my POV):

https://www.twitch.tv/ilovebuzzcut/v/65948534

I was so mad at the end I had to turn off my audio because everything was pissing me off. So I did the last run with my headset off. 

Raiding is fun, but at a certain point I'm just tired of a fight and I want it to be over. Even people you like can start to get on your nerves, it's like cabin fever or something. Anyway, on to AS8~