Feeling hopeless

Rainadash

I am new to the game and the concept of RP. No matter how hard I try to roleplay, I end up having nothing to say and walking away. I have role played before in other games, but it was not as complex as this game. I already have a personality for my character, but getting into a RP setting, I feel like i'll say something that contradicts the story of the game or i'll seem too casual. Same with describing how I say things, I don't know a lot of words to use like some people do. Basically, I don't know where to start as a new roleplayer that is overwhelmed.

Don't sweat it so much. Most people don't really care if you don't know a ton about the lore or don't know a lot of obscure words. Most people understand that you're new and won't care that you make blunders, and those who do aren't worth your time anyhow. Just be receptive to advice from others and keep trying to improve, and you'll be fine. :) You can find a lot of lore information here on the forums and wiki as well, if you need a more solid grasp on things to feel more confident.

Exactly what Faye said. ^^ Try not to sweat the small stuff, and remember that we're all here to have fun! Whether you make short posts or long posts, all that matters is that you're having a good time.

If you need someone to RP with, let me know! I'd be more than willing to help you get your feet wet and get you acquainted with any lore hiccups.

Exactly what Faye said. ^^ Try not to sweat the small stuff, and remember that we're all here to have fun! Whether you make short posts or long posts, all that matters is that you're having a good time.

If you need someone to RP with, let me know! I'd be more than willing to help you get your feet wet and get you acquainted with any lore hiccups.

It would be great if there is someone who can help me. You can find someone?

I wouldn't be too afraid about not having a huge vocabulary.

I don't. In English.

I'm Dutch, I still manage. As long you can get your message across well, who cares? I'd sooner take a hundred of just regular folk over some irritating purple prose writer. Really, using thine, thee and fancy ye old English and bloated words doesn't make you a better roleplayer. Really, purple prose doesn't make you any better, in fact, people can rarely execute it well enough, and it only makes them look silly.

So please, don't worry about it.

I'd suggest just keeping an eye out for events, and just hop down there really!

http://balmungrpcalendar.tumblr.com/

Is a nice resource to find them :)! Or of course the event section of the RPC itself!

I have the same problem sometimes and feel like I come off as boring. But this community is very welcoming and forgiving so there is no real judgment. 

The best advice I can give is, don't give up on it if you genuinely enjoy RP. It takes time and a lot of creative effort to really find your character's voice. Everyone goes through it, especially when trying to fit the specifics of the game. Once you find someone who you really connect with when RPing, it will all just click, I guarantee it, and you will know exactly what to say and how your character would react to things. 

I hope the words of encouragement from the fellow RPCers has lifted your spirits, this really is a great community!

To add to the thread, if you're wondering about an in-game term or something, please do ask! FFXIV is full of lore in almost every direction and there's a LOT of information to process and get used to. When RPing, if you come across a word you don't know, I'd just ask the people you're RPing with. How else would you know how it's used?

It wasn't too long ago that lots of people here were new as well. The game is only about 3 years old. (Unless we count 1.0, in which case, it's 6-ish). Don't be afraid to ask questions! Whether here or in a PM or in the RPC chat or in a thread. We've got some guides for basic stuff around the forums, but there's a lot of helpful people around a lot of the time.

We've all been here and know what it's like! I've RPed with nearly everyone in this thread alone at least once or in passing and they're all good people. This game is full of a lot of patient folks. Ruran sent you a messgae, you're free to poke me anytime, and others I'm sure will be the same :)

Hi there and welcome to the amazingly wonderful world of RP. :) I would be more than happy to RP with you and answer any questions you might have.

It must be the teacher/helper in me. I've taught horseback riding lessons in the past and, while many instructors would rather not teach beginners (they do though!) I LOVE them. It's my niche so to speak.

I'm generally on in the evenings as Jaydhe Tokar but I have a couple of other characters I can use as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! Have you had any luck in feeling a little more settled in? If not, and if you still want to try, let me know and some friends and I can help ease you into it. It can be a little daunting to try and dive right into it when new, but all it takes is the right friends to be supportive. :)