New race in Stormblood? - Speculation and Discussion

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I mentioned it in here or not, but while I wouldn'tve minded if they added a new race (I still think the Viera designs that were shown way back were adorable), I also don't mind if they put that focus elsewhere since adding a new race and somehow fitting them into the story seems like quite a bit of effort. I also wouldn't mind if they allowed for more customization and whatnot for the current races, but I unfortunately don't see them doing that either since people will complain about the lack of ability to utilize more sliders and whatnot without giving everyone a free Fantasia (which I suppose they could do, since those are often included with the special edition of every FFXIV release to date as far as I know).

Ultimately, I think the focus will just remain on whatever new jobs they're bringing and the story and regular content to be displayed in Stormblood. Which isn't too bad, really. The new jobs will likely shake things up a bit anyway, and more races and customization to races can always be added down the line.

I'd say Viera is possible considering the "Return to Ivalice" thing they will be doing. If Hydaelyn and Ivalice are connected, they could conceivably be made playable.

I'm like 99% sure they aren't connected. SE is just reusing names.

Like if we went to Illisabard and the Garleans had a city named 'Midgar' I wouldn't expect to canonically find Cloud running around if that makes sense.

I'd say Viera is possible considering the "Return to Ivalice" thing they will be doing. If Hydaelyn and Ivalice are connected, they could conceivably be made playable.

Like if we went to Illisabard and the Garleans had a city named 'Midgar' I wouldn't expect to canonically find Cloud running around if that makes sense.

I think there was a dev statement saying exactly that. While it's using the name, we're not likely to be seeing Ivalician races and stuff. Unless they're enemies, since technically we wouldn't be playing them... hm.

I think there was a dev statement saying exactly that. While it's using the name, we're not likely to be seeing Ivalician races and stuff. Unless they're enemies, since technically we wouldn't be playing them... hm.

Really? I thought I heard the opposite somewhere, that there was a connection between Ivalice and Hydaelyn. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find where I heard that. Might have been from one of Mr. Happy's videos or some article.

I'd like to see another hair style contest, but really more customizations instead of a new race.

I mean.

I need more than four base faces. :|

And more than two for Elezen females, with the left over options just being the equivalent of make up that should have been in the facial features section. :|

(If anyone has ever wondered why female Elezen all look similar, that's why. It's two faces with or without makeup.)

I'd like to see another hair style contest, but really more customizations instead of a new race.

I mean.

I need more than four base faces. :|

And more than two for Elezen females, with the left over options just being the equivalent of make up that should have been in the facial features section. :|

(If anyone has ever wondered why female Elezen all look similar, that's why. It's two faces with or without makeup.)

Ugh I know. I always hear complaints about how people are stealing other characters' faces and I'm just 'uhhhh there's not many options though???'.

PLEASE. PLEEEEEEEASE GIVE ME MOOOOOOOOORE.

Ugh I know. I always hear complaints about how people are stealing other characters' faces and I'm just 'uhhhh there's not many options though???'.

This is actually something people say? With max four different faces and only relatively minor variations beyond that (not counting face paint etc), that seems like a really odd thing to complain about.

I'll hop on the more options train. Scars, tattoos, face types, body types. There is a lot that could be added just looking off some of the F2P games I have poked about in the recent years. Dropping the PS3 support gives me a bit of hope but I'm not holding my breath for anything too amazing just yet either. :P

Really? I thought I heard the opposite somewhere, that there was a connection between Ivalice and Hydaelyn. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find where I heard that. Might have been from one of Mr. Happy's videos or some article.

Stated by our very own Sounsyy!

It's not completely ruling it out, but it's also warning not to assume we're getting the bunnyfolk just because the raid has Ivalice in the title. She goes on to even suggest that it might actually be about the Ascians. There's a good quote from Fernehalwes there too:

Oh, man. This is not as cool an answer as you’re expecting. Final Fantasy is about borrowing, taking things other Final Fantasies did and adjusting it and making it your own. The fact that the XIV team has a lot of people that worked on XII—our main scenario writer, Maehiro-san, also worked on XII, Minagawa-san, the guy that did all of the UI, also XII, he’s working with us, and also Yoshida-san himself being a fan of Final Fantasy XII—this is one of the games they wanted to borrow heavily from because they thought it was really cool, and they really liked the imagery and lore that it had. So they want to borrow from it, and of course they know Final Fantasy XII has its story, and they don’t want to take that story and put it into XIV, because it’s not XIV, it’s XII, but they want to draw on that imagery and those connections. It’s not random, but it might not be as deep a meaning as you think it is.

So, I guess it's more or less a wait and see and don't get your hopes too high sort of thing?

This is actually something people say? With max four different faces and only relatively minor variations beyond that (not counting face paint etc), that seems like a really odd thing to complain about.

Yep, there was a huge stink awhile ago about someone copying another person's lalafell of all things. Blew up pretty big on the tumblr side of the fandom as well. The fact that the character I believe only had similar hair colors and skin didn't seem to matter to the accuser either.