Samurai and Blue Mage in FFXIV - Weapons

I hope the Samurai will dual-wield swords. Final Fantasy XIV already have two sword wielding Tank jobclasses. Gladiator/Paladin and Dark Knight. Not to mention the Red Mage will wield a sword. To give the Samurai jobclass just a single katana would make it too much like the Dark Knight, imo.

tumblr_inline_ojnvylzOpk1smbiof_540.jpg

So to make it a bit more unique in weaponry and stance, it would be cool to see the Samurai swing two katanas instead of just having one, making it a bit less traditional.

That said, if the Blue Mage also returns, it might become the jobclass dual-wielding swords, as it did in FFXI.

tumblr_inline_ojnwjg6BTY1smbiof_540.jpg

However, there are alot of other weaponry versions of the Blue Mage. It could wield a whip, like Quistis from FF8, who was the game’s Blue Mage. Or maybe a magic gun, like the Gun Mage from FFX-2, which was that game’s version of the Blue Mage.

tumblr_inline_ojnwq00a311smbiof_540.jpg

I would personally prefer the whip for Blue Mage and dual-wield katanas for Samurai.

But what do you think?

I've mentioned this in a few places - I don't recall if they were all just in chat conversations or in any actual posts - but I've had... thoughts and opinions on how the weapons would work for these classes.

First and foremost, I'm still clinging to my belief that Samurai will be a heavy-armor DPS class instead of yet another sword tank. As such, it COULD just be a katana and people would likely be fine with it due to finally having that "DPS sword class" many have been clamoring for. However, there's an alternative setup that has been floating about in my head that could work for both.

If it DID end up being a tank, it would need to have an approach to it that is unique to the other three tanks. In my mind, it would be the perfect platform to fix and present the Parry stat and thus be a Parry Tank. Combine that with memories of classic Samurai skills in the older games such as Blade Grasp and the like... and I could see the "weapon set" for Samurai being a katana and an armored gauntlet that couples with it not unlike the RDM's presented weapon and focus combo. Or, I suppose, if you wanted to make it extra thematic and fit more the Iai-style for Samurai - have the weapon and the sheath. Parry animations could possibly include deflecting the blow with the gauntlet/sheath!

As for BLU, I mostly shy away from the whip as the weapon of choice there just because I have ideas for Beastmaster as a pet/vehicle-style tank and they would be the ones using whips. Or bells, I suppose, in which case a Quistis-style BLU-with-Whip could work again. However, I just recall how FFTA Blue Magics used... scimitars, I think? And so I could see that being the weapon of choice for BLU, perhaps wielded in a stylish whirling dervish approach that could be somewhat reminiscent of NIN's twirling and spinning around.

I want SAM to aesthetically be more like the lightly armored ronin thing. But this just might be my inner weeb talking.

e0c0f08e2c76f471615dceca2ffaea79.jpg

Well, if they stick to the style they've done so far, it might not be too far removed from that? I mean... look at how it appears in other games:

latest?cb=20120718054230

latest?cb=20090403110430

latest?cb=20091114191645

latest?cb=20061221035805

It definitely looks like heavier armor in general, but it does have a bit of the Ronin-style look - especially with the female designs. Which is a bit like how the Dragoon outfits have looked over time as well, plus I think there's some flow-y looking DRG gear in FFXIV too. So it's possible to get both while still having that heavy armor look going!

... Or I could just be trying to further weasel in my belief that SAM will be heavy-armor DPS whenever it gets introduced. :blush:

There hasn't been any particular confirmation, but people have been reading into stuff from the last Fanfest - particularly the Spiderman shirt - and suggesting "confirmation" of all sorts of things. This image from Tumblr probably sums it up best:

tumblr_oio616Shbj1uyp93vo1_500.png

Including my joke "confirmation" that Spiderman = Peter Parker = Photography job.

Do you really want the future of SAM to look like this?

dual_katana___ready_to_fight_by_wyky.jpg

Is that what the kids think is hip and happenin' nowadays?

I mean, why stop at only two katanas? Let's make it three.

Y'know, just to be that much extra:

latest?cb=20120819013304

In all seriousness, if we get SAM, I do want it to be a DPS. But no dual-wielding katanas. If it's going to dual wield something, let it be a weapon that's actually sensible to dual wield.

It doesn't matter how many katanas you're weilding if they're all ant-sized and thrown, Chachanji!

Mifune's a pretty tall dude with a lot of normal-sized katanas. He was actually one of my favorite characters in Soul Eater, which is why I remembered him when we got into this "MOAR KATANAS" thing. Good ol' Infinite One-Sword Style, where the dead zone is marked with MORE katanas lined with caution tape. :lol:

But really, I see SAM working with a variety of approaches for how it'd do its weapons:

- Single katana

- Single katana and non-weapon (armored gauntlet, using sheath, or some other new addition like RDM's floaty focus), or

- Single katana and wakazashi (or whatever tinier sword is called)

Two normal-sized swords might be stepping too much on NIN toes, even if NINs' aren't "supposed" to be full-sized swords. Some of them look close enough to it that I don't see "two katanas" happening. Let alone three, six, or "infinite."

... I was gonna joke that maybe the last one could be made into a Limit Break, but that's kinda already NIN's too, ain't it? Summon a bunch of blades and cut the target up with it. I guess they could do a zantetsuken-style sheath-and-draw finisher?

DrZEI.png

did you ever sword so hard that your body was swords

Though it's unlikely, I would sort of like to see SAM designed with something like Johnny's coin/Mist Finer mechanics from Guilty Gear in mind. Actually, I just want SAM to be Johhny from Guilty Gear.

Though it's unlikely, I would sort of like to see SAM designed with something like Johnny's coin/Mist Finer mechanics from Guilty Gear in mind. Actually, I just want SAM to be Johhny from Guilty Gear.

Zenniage/Gil Toss is a classic Samurai move in the games! So if SAM was introduced, I could totally see them including it. Possibly as a ranged attack, and maybe serving as the Tomahawk/Shield Toss/Unmend if they do decide to make it a tank? Throw coin, get aggro.

Zenniage/Gil Toss is a classic Samurai move in the games! So if SAM was introduced, I could totally see them including it. Possibly as a ranged attack, and maybe serving as the Tomahawk/Shield Toss/Unmend if they do decide to make it a tank? Throw coin, get aggro.

As long it doesn't mean we lose actual gil on it. xD

• 2 weeks later...

I meant more a troll on the part of the developers. They "name" it SAM, but it's actually something else. But I'd figure they wouldn't play the dataminers like that... will have to see, I suppose.

That would be unfunny I don't think SE is that tasteless.

*casually sits a sock aside in case Yoshi makes her have to eat it*

I still want like...the ronin style. I'd love the SAM questline to like...go back in the past and show the struggle of Doma vs the Garleans I think it'd be a super interesting and refreshing take on the whole thing. Maybe memories via the soul crystal?

#wishfulthinking