So I got my RP identity stolen by this guy...

EDIT on 15/4/2018: So they didn't delete the tumblr, they just changed the icon. But whatever. The harder they are to find to anyone who might think it's me, the better.  

EDIT on 14/4/2018 @ 15.44: Person responsible has most likely deleted the Tumblr posts featuring my character's screenshots as his and he's been reported to SE for impersonation. The matter is, for now, concluded. Although not forgotten and not apologized for and it still stands that I only RP Xihsa'li Tayuun on Omega. I can't control what the person does, so whatever happens on those servers.... as long as it's not tied to me and he stops thieving my screenshots and concepts further, I'm happy.

So I've been playing Xihsa'li Tayuun, my main RP character, since about last... September? October? October 2017,  let's say that to be sure. I have screenshots of my character doing RP activities with my FC in November at least, and you know... minding my own business, everything was fine.

Until today, a newish member of our FC The Path of the Rootless, comes to me and links me a tumblr post... "Look, someone's stolen your identity!" And not only mine, but another ex-FC member's was stolen in the same go. R'avi Tia, a former member, got shafted by the same guy.

...Wait what? Surely not. Who would want to do that? Who would stoop so low and accept so wholeheartedly having no imagination of their own, that they'd use my character? Or R'avi's? 

So I look at this post and lo and behold, I see MY character... with my screenshots *I* took... paraded around like they're this random person's. For the record, I've never used tumblr in my life, don't have an account to my name. So I wouldn't have found out about this if we didn't have a frequent tumblr user as a member.

So I looked further in this post, and come to find out... the idiot posted his own discord tag for all the world to see. And with suspicion, that this might be someone I've known... otherwise, why would they be using my screenshots and know my character's name? So I put his discord tag into my own discord, searched... and voila. I found an old conversation... with a former FC member. What made me more mad that moment was not only that this person tried to pose as me and credit himself for something *I* made.. the last conversation I had with him on discord was one where I comforted him with his mental issues. Nice way to reward a guy who was nice to you, right? 

As I **EXCLUSIVELY** play on the Omega server, 

these characters outside of Omega.... Are not me. Nor will they ever be me.

Not only that, I've since changed my toon to a female model to better fit my character.

They're the Coca Cola Light to my Coca Cola. They're the burnt toast to my full English breakfast.

Perhaps oneday their creator will find something new to try and pathetically imitate. :)

So with all this said and ranted about... Please don't do this. If you ever... EVER... have the temptation to be an asshat and take something someone else made, don't. It only makes you look like the pathetic sad shit of zero imagination or pride you are.

And thank you again for everyone who's been supportive on the Omega community discord and elsewhere.

Edited by Xihsa'li Tayuun
Added Edit

If you are reading this, Identity Thief,  (AND I AM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE), I would just like to ask you... Why.
Honestly, just... Why did you do this, why did you think it was a good idea, why did you do such a thing to someone you knew and roleplayed with.

It's incredible how you don't understand how shocking it is for Xihsa'li to see that you have stolen his identity, his pictures, his profile data, everything, and re-used it for your own personal usage. How would you feel if someone did that to you? Can't you possibly understand how mind-shattering and shocking can be for a roleplayer to find that someone stole their character and recreated it on several different servers?

If there is a part of you that's not completely out of your mind and disrespectful for the work of creativity and feelings of other roleplayers, please, delete all of that.
I have no words.

So this dude made his character on Mateus... what... 2 months ago? 3? And now Balmung?

See when I made mine below e__e  I have fucking screenshots about my entire lifecycle on this game.

He also is using the screenshot I made for my avatar picture when I first started playing. But guess what! Original timestamps are a fucking bitch.

original_xih.png

I feel for you, but just a fair warning, these sort of posts aren't usually allowed on the RPC. Your post would probably have a better chance of not being locked/removed/moderated if you took out any namedropping of this person and anything that could be considered a "callout" and instead just clarify which characters you play and that you have no others (though that may be something better suited to a personal blog, anyway).

Edited by Faye

I didn't think I was name dropping *squints* ...Was I?

I know his name on these forums and have expressly not mentioned it. And name dropping his characters... Well. It's kinda hard not to since he's using **my name**...

If you see a problematic bit, do tell me and I'll censor it.

And of course discord names mean nothing, because it doesn't reveal who the person is. Anyone can change their discord names on the go and be instantly anonymous. I did take those pics out though, just in case. Don't wanna step on any toes over here.

Fixed things

Just imagine that you're one of the writers of those old Forgotton Realms novels, and think about how many idiots he probably heard about out there writing roleplay about their totally super cool character Dryhzzz't. 

Dude just rolled his eyes like pizza pies and moved right on from it. 

Ahahah! Again, I'm not sure if to be flattered or not for this guy to go 'OMFG HE'S SO COOL IMMA BE JUST LIKE HIM WHEN I CHANGE SERVERS!!!!11'

Guess I'll ease up and take it as flattery? His Xih is not the real Xih tho. My Xih is the original. The Coca Cola to his Coca Cola Light.

Character names and Discord names are still names, pretty sure they'd still count. If you say "Xihsa'li Tayuun on the Omega server is the only character I play by that name and I made him before there were any others," sure it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going and look up the other Xihsa'li's, but it might help you get around potentially having your post removed or modified. :P

@

2 minutes ago, Lydia Lightfoot said:

Kick it up a notch. Make another one on another server and make a tumblr for it and go around pretending everything you're doing is what he's doing (which is what you're actually doing). Layers. Layers and layers.

Ahh, but honestly. If I did that, I'd feel like I'm as unimaginative as he is, which is basically the level of an unsentient being needing to parrot anything cool he sees.

I'm sure he'll get bored of that character eventually and move onto something else.

1 minute ago, Faye said:

Character names and Discord names are still names, pretty sure they'd still count. If you say "Xihsa'li Tayuun on the Omega server is the only character I play by that name and I made him before there were any others," sure it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going and look up the other Xihsa'li's, but it might help you get around potentially having your post removed or modified. :P

I did remove much of that stuff. I suppose I can edit it a bit further, as the real content is on tumblr anyway and all my friends, and the Omega community, already know what's up. I can throw up my arms here and be like, I'm done. 

5 minutes ago, Faye said:

How does it look now? :'D

11 minutes ago, Xihsa'li Tayuun said:

How does it look now? :'D

I mean, it still looks very much like a call out. Maybe otherwise it would pass, but linking to a post dropping names doesn't circumvent the name-dropping rules. I'd check with a moderator or review the rules here if you want to know what's acceptable and what's not.

Mhrm... Not sure how it's any of this place's business where links outside go to, but... I took it away. If it's in the rules,  it's in the rules and I get that. 

Don't much matter to me, I said my piece. Can hide this if you want. I'd prefer to be able to check its' contents however, even if no-one else can. 

Sorry for the hassle. :)

The RPC's rules are, for the most part, an extension of the FFXIV Terms of Service, with minor adjustments to make a forum, wiki, and related services work. In that sense, we don't allow callouts by name to any other player here, whether they're a user on RPC or not. Listed right in our rules, we also don't allow "drama" posts or posts that describe a personal conflict, though for fairly obvious reasons that is up to moderator discretion and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

However, as far as the RPC and the staff are concerned, what goes on off-site goes on off-site, and more importantly should stay off-site. The staff will only make decisions based off content found on the RPC. This has put us in a bind before as there are a variety of cases in the past where there was harassment in-game or on tumblr by known RPC users, but as those users followed the rules here, action against them was not taken.

As it stands, it's generally preferred to not drag off-site issues into the RPC's public sections.

With all of that said, given the nature of your post and the edits you've made, the thread can stay so long as any identifying information of the culprit aren't publicly posted here. This includes off-site info: for example, if someone on Tumblr finds out who it is and posts their identity, you can't publicly link the post or tell people where to go. At best, on the RPC you may say "The culprit has been found and identified" with no further details, or simply use off-site communications like Tumblr or Discord to tell interested parties.

If anyone has questions or concerns regarding this, feel free to send me a PM, or post in the Requests and Feedback section.

I'm curious about this. I know the no-call-outs rule but...

This is sort of unprecedented, right? Someone's allowed to flag outside pages and say that's not them, right? I mean, imagine if the mod group here suddenly had a tumblr of graphic ERP being posted on the daily. It's okay to point out that's not the source, yeah?

Edit: That is, in fact, exactly what was pointed out.

Edited by Warren Castille
4 hours ago, Nero said:

The RPC's rules are, for the most part, an extension of the FFXIV Terms of Service, with minor adjustments to make a forum, wiki, and related services work. In that sense, we don't allow callouts by name to any other player here, whether they're a user on RPC or not. Listed right in our rules, we also don't allow "drama" posts or posts that describe a personal conflict, though for fairly obvious reasons that is up to moderator discretion and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

The thing is, the FFXIV terms of service also states that impersonation of another person is against the rules.

And if he just made a character with my name, and appearance and did what he did behind closed doors, that wouldn't be enough. But the fact that he posts as my character, using screenshots stolen from me... is kind of like... I think grounds for impersonation at this point.

Also, the culprit has been known to me all this time. It was obvious due to the way he posted his discord handle on his own tumblr, and having been using that same handle, when dealing with my FC as a member. I also know who he is on these forums, and on the Omega community server.

But I am not outing them willingly. That was not my intention. Because frankly, I'm trying to be better than him. I want him to stop and learn that stealing people's characters is bad, not to burn him publically at the stake.

I only wanted them to see the post because they will know they've been spotted and I wanted those that know my character to see the post so they don't mistakenly think... I go around Mateus and Balmung to ERP with people, or have anything to do with the people or events he posts on those tumblr accounts. That is *NOT* me, even if it's my previous character model and my stolen identity.

That is all. That was the point of this post. To clear myself of anything he might be doing with my concept and my screenshots.

25 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Eh~ if someone steals from you, they steal from you. Just keep going. Move forward and let them linger on old ideas. Nobody can play your character better than you can anyway.

That's the plan! And very correct :)

I recommend reporting him to the GM's if you haven't already. I had a stolen identity/impersonation issue in the past, and while I can't definitively say the GM's did anything as they don't usually divulge those details, they did seem concerned and receptive, and my copycat did disappear.

Just now, Faye said:

I recommend reporting him to the GM's if you haven't already. I had a stolen identity/impersonation issue in the past, and while I can't definitively say the GM's did anything as they don't usually divulge those details, they did seem concerned and receptive, and my copycat did disappear.

I've done so :) With all the details and proof that was posted on tumblr. I wish they just gave him a 'please don't do this' kind of warning, that'd be enough for me.

Well I'd like to say it is surprising but there is a lot of strange out there in the online world, and why people do what they do I don't know.

I have had similar happen, and I know of people in real life that have had this done on things like facebook.

My advice, for what little it is worth, is to not feed their ego/interest. It is a shame you can't un-see it.

Oh yeah. Once my disgust fades, I'm going to forever condemn him in the pile of 'people you don't talk about because they're not worth it' pile. I'm glad everyone has been very supportive in this matter. I had heard about things like these happening to people.... but never ever did I think how widespread it was. 

Is it like a new generation thing? I feel so old. People used to have pride in what they make. Wouldn't using someone else's creation feel insulting to your worth and skill as a roleplayer - as a person, to be so.... fake? That's one of those things I just don't get about people who do this shit.