Far From Home

Kaizyr

Limsa Lominsa.

When Lyra had landed in the island city-state's capital, it was a a stormy night. "Landed" was a generous term. A more fitting and accurate account was as follows: Lyra quickly stowed herself in a large, open crate of animal skins and fleece upon arrival. Upon landing, the Ul'dahn merchant and the port officer found themselves in a heated argument about what tax was appropriate (the merchant insisted her goods were exempt, and the officer insisted there was no such thing), giving Lyra a not-so-small window of opportunity to slip out of the crate. Under the cover of rain, the crash of thunder, she vanished and became part of the general populous of the city.

It had been near two moons since that night.

Tonight, however, was clear and calm. Lyra, sore from an odd-job stint earlier in the day that required her to quite literally sprint around the city to deliver messages, sat by the fountain in the Anchor Yard. She gazed up at the starlit canopy and immediately felt calm.

She grinned to herself. "Nothing beats this view."

"It really is amazing..." Honi chimed in as he made his approach, though the Miqo'te's gaze was locked upward, lost to the stars above. 

The Black Shroud was often plagued with rain and his home with in the forest meant often staring up into the trees canopy. There were moments where he was graced with the beautiful visage of the moon and stars, but nothing could have prepared him for the sights Limsa Lominsa had to offer. The Keeper stopped shy some few feet from her, not wishing to intrude in her moment of relaxation though one could argue he had already. Did her voice carry on the cool night breeze or mayhaps his keen hearing thanks to those cat like ears were the culprit behind him hearing her words. Which ever the case, Honi was there sharing in this moment with her.

"Hello... Again.. Hope I am not bother." He offered a small smile in greeting as he finally tore his golden gaze away from the heavens to look to her. Hopefully the warpaint would serve as a anchor for her recalling the Miqo'te she had met and Gridania because his clothing was nothing like what he once more. It seemed he had adopted the Limsa Lominsa look with a open cotton shirt and matching pants, both dyed a dark blue with subtle orange accents. It played well against his natural reddish skin tone.

More importantly however was what he was wearing upon his head. Thanks to their chance encounter, Honi took a liking to the head wraps and as such, now sported his own. However he had figured out a way to allow for his ears to poke out allow for comfort as having his ears pinned down grew uncomfortable.

Lyra momentarily stiffened at the sound of the approaching voice. Although internally alarmed and on edge--old habits from her old life--she maintained her countenance and turned casually to see who her visitor was. As Honi approached her against the dim lighting of the Yard, she could only initially determine his silhouette, ears, and yellow cat-eyes.

Although aching, she hoisted herself to her feet and balled her hand into a fist, ready for a confrontation. "I already told ya once, cat-ears, I ain't interested in being your 'Drowning Wench', and I damn sure ain't interested in--"

As the nearby lamplight shone on Honi's face, his warpaint was, indeed, an easily identifiable trait to the tensed Hyur. She relaxed slightly at the sight of him but remained mostly wary. "Hey, ain't ya the kid from Gridania a couple of moons back?"

"Cat ears...?" He didn't know how to feel about that as he slowly reached up to touch his own ears. It wasn't exactly a insult but then something in her tone of course didn't sit well with him. 

"Sure am... You mentioned finding you in Limsa Lominsa so.. Here I am... Cat ears and all.. Out of curiosity... What do I call you besides Lyra... Small ears.. No ears? Feisty pirate girl?" He said in a attempt to tease but realized there was a reason why she appeared tense. He thought of her words once more and instantly regretted his need to tease her in some form. "Wait...  Did something happened... Did someone call you a drowning wench? Who even talks like that?"

There was a measure of concern in his voice. All he planned on was seeking out the person who helped him escape a bad situation with a meal, but it seemed he might be able to help in a different capacity.

Lyra sighed, letting down her guard a little more and relaxing her fists into open hands. She placed her hands on her hips and looked at Honi with some regard.

"You's an honest kid, ain't ya," she ascertained, a touch of amusement in her tone. She beckoned him over, sitting down and inviting him to sit with her. "You'd be surprised how many would-be comedians are out here. Seems like everywhere you go, there's..."

She shook her head. "Nah, forget it. What brings ya to Limsa? Can't just be to find me, yeah?"

He found himself moving to take a seat beside her after she welcomed him over, his gaze shifting upwards once more to enjoy the view. "Partly... I was serious about paying you back...You did me a kindness back there and helped me out of a tight spot... Not sure how willing the guards would have been to hear my side of the story... I do have business here though... So.. I'm not entirely a stalker."

The last bit was a joke and he hoped she had a sense of humor. He had encounter another Miqo'te recently and his humor seemed to go over her head. That left Honi wondering about his attempts at humor and perhaps he should stop all together. "Sorry... I guess I fall into the would be comedian category as well." 

She scoffed at the Keeper's stalker quip. "Ha! Well, ain't I just the luckiest girl ever."

Lyra sat back against the fountain, crossing her arms behind her head as she did so. "Least you don't seem like a comedian tryna get yourself wenched." She looked over at Honi, amused by his effort. "Don't you worry none. Comedy's tricky. Ya either feel the delivery or ya don't. Best way to learn is to try, if you ask me."

She shrugged. "So, whatcha got for business out here, any road?"

He took her wise words about comedy to heart, hoping to grow from the valuable lesson she imparted. Following her lead, he too would get comfortable against the fountain, though he would have to swing the rather large long bow he toted back from his shoulder to set beside him. The think stood taller then he was truth be told.

"I am to find a missing brother who aims not to be found it seems.... Tracks grew cold in Gridania but a clue I uncovered suggested he purchased a ticket upon a airship... Destination..." He didn't finish his sentence, simply spread his arms out before him, showing her it was here his brother traveled to.

So this was the ambition that brought the Keeper all the way out to La Noscea. Some chase their dreams; others chase something much more tangible, it seems.

"Yer brother, huh..." Lyra gazed up at the stars thoughtfully. "What's he like? Why'd he go missin' in the first place?"

"Charismatic I suppose is one word that comes to mind. A real charmer and a story teller... He always had grand ideas of leaving the Black Shroud to make a name for himself." Honi said with a faint smile, remembering his older brother. He then shifted uncomfortably and moved on.

"He stopped writing to us five years ago... We thought... We assumed he died... We reached out to other Keepers we knew were out here  explorer but none could tell us about my brother Tocho... But about a fortnight past, I received a package from him and a note. He left me some fine bard clothing and a note telling me to start my own adventurer and that he didn't need these clothes any more.... So here I am.. Chasing him to see what he's been aware for so long... While also living out my own fantasies of being a adventurer I suppose."

And offered a faint shrug as he filled her in on his own reasons for becoming an adventurer.

"Charismatic. A real charmer and storyteller..." Lyra tapped her chin thoughtfully, musing over what Honi divulged about his brother. Then, she shook her head and grunted. "Nah. That ain't the Miqo'te that tried to make a wench outta me."

She let out a short laugh. "Dunno what made me think it could've been. Guess I kinda hoped it'd be that easy for you to find him."

As she sat back again, arms crossed behind her head, she threw a glance at Honi. "Ya tried goin' to the Adventurer's Guild here? Reckon they might have heard somethin'--especially if yer bro might've become an adventurer himself, ya know? I, uh..." She cleared her throat, shifting uncomfortably. "I hear they keep a register of all them adventurers too."

"Great minds think alike... I stopped by earlier... No luck... As far as I could tell, there were no Adventures under the name Tocho working in Gridania or here...  Managed to charm the guild though... Going to let me look through their records.. Might take sometime but I'm a comb through the Keepers who passed by... In the mean time, it sounds like you had a day... I need some food... I owe you some food... Least a drink... Let's just go some place where someone isn't to quick to make either of us wenches though."

Honi pushed himself up from the fountain, turned about and offered a gloved hand. He seemed a world about from the skittish adventurer she had met days before but it seemed his attitude may have changed a big from their first meeting. Regardless, he was offering food and a drink, what could possibly go wrong 

Lyra looked at his outstretched hand with regard for a moment, then decided to take it. "Aye. I reckon we can head to the market in Hawker's Alley, sit by the docks near the Fisherman's Guild afterwards while we mull over how to find yer bro, yeah?"

She hoisted herself to her feet... though with the swift motion in which she did so, her quads cramped for a very brief moment. "Gah!"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Hawker's Alley market was abuzz with Limsa's nightlife. Locals were picking out their ingredients for dinner, and adventurers and seafarers alike were haggling with the armor and weapon vendors for the best deals they could get. A few street performers had set aside space for their routines, of which many folk of wholesome and less-than-savory ilk crowded around to watch.

Lyra fell in line behind a stocky male Roegadyn, who was haggling with the food vendor. She turned to Honi. "Whatcha feeling?"

"... Surprise me...This is your turf so I'll follow your lead, as long as you let me pay.... And then we can talk about this help your offering." He said after a sparing a moment to think over her question.

He assumed that alot, if not most, of the cuisine had something to do with seafood, which he was more then happy to partake in. Truth be told, Honi was not a picky eater at all. More importantly, he wanted to see if she had any more ideas about finding his brother. Though he was still forming his opinions on the Hyur, he was beginning to think she was rather sharp. He hadn't anyone to bounce ideas off of so talking to her could prove helpful. Aside from that, he'd be lying if he didn't say he wasn't the least bit curious to find out more about her. 

"Ha! My 'turf', he says," Lyra laughed. "I ain't been here much longer than you, friend--"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WASN'T SHIPPED?!" the Roegadyn in front of them bellowed, suddenly throwing his hands up in the air. "I just checked the ledgers this morning! You have to have them by now!"

The food merchant shrank away from him, holding his hands up defensively. "I-I'm sorry, sir, but we just--just don't have them yet. Our meat supplier just hasn't made it up here. Maybe his crate is still by the docks...?"

"BAH!" The Roegadyn stormed off, making no more fuss about it.

Lyra watched as he left with idle interest. Unsatisfied customers were commonplace back in Ul'dah, so she discounted his reaction as not worth noting and stepped up to her turn with the merchant.

From Honi's perspective, there was plenty of food at this merchant's stall. Fish of all kinds, some fresh fruit hanging by the bundles, crusty-looking loaves of bread. As the Roegadyn before them lamented, however, there appeared to be no meat.

Though he seemed to keep a cool demeanor, the second he saw the food available his tail seemed to move on it's own, swaying excitedly. He was a easy ready it appeared.

"Not sure what his problem was... I could live like a king with this." Honi waved at the selection at hand. Looks like he wasn't a picky eater either. "So.. What are we having?" 

He looked to Lyra, a goofy grin given. Yes, Honi was one of those. Someone excited at the prospect of eating. "This fish looks good and fresh... The selection of fruit as well... Ooooh never had anything like that before." He spied what looked like a grilled snake on a skewer. Of course it was a eel but he was none the wiser.

Seeing Honi's face light up like a little kid's (or kitten's), Lyra couldn't help but burst out laughing. The "stagger a bit while holding your sides" kind of laughing. It left the food merchant a little confused.

"Uh... Right then," the merchant said, eying Lyra and not really sure how to react. Since the red bandana girl was a little occupied trying to recover from a bout of comedy, he turned to Honi. "What'll it be, sir? As you can see, I've got everything from fruits to fish. Our meat shipment is a little late this cycle, however."

His tail wagged happily, moving back and forth as he spied the selection on hang. He was painfully aware of his excitement and her reaction but paid little mind to it. He wore his feelings on his sleeve, and right now he was excited, no shame in that.

"No worries sir... I'll have... two of those..." He pointed to the eel "and... three of those!" He moved his attention to a grilled fish kebab that had a mix of thick cuts of fish with mixed vegetables. Seemed like a safe bet for Lyra... Who seemed be stuck in her laughing fit. The merchant went about preparing their meal, decided it best to ignore the pair.

"Sure sure... Laugh it up." he said as he turned to her, ear flicking in mock annoyance. "I'm a man who get's excited over food." He said with a grin. This much, was true.

In her fit of laughter, Lyra suddenly scooped Honi up and hugged (rather, huggled) him tightly. "You's so precious, is what ya are!"

If Honi remembered anything about Lyra when they first met on that rainy day in Gridania, he would see a clear difference in her demeanor between today and back then. Where she had hauled crates with stiff, almost hesitant poise, she now seemed relaxed. Unselfconscious. Perhaps more in her element.

Lyra released the poor Keeper from her bear hug-like grasp, her grin wide and bright, in contrast to the soot-covered face against her tan skin.

"Ack!" The startled yelp asked his lips as he was swept up in a hug. His body was instantly rigid, surprised that she had embraced him to the point stood straight and hair on end, fluffing out. The moment of shock lasted but a moment as he tried to wiggle from her surprisingly strong grip and he would go as far as growl. "Unhand me before I bite you!" Seemed to be the best response though it was delivered with a sense of dead pan humor that betrayed the threat. Clearly he was joking, and if he was, that meant he liked Lyra.

"I'm so hungry is more like it" He grumbled after she released him and he turned to pay the puzzled merchant before claiming their meal. "Eat up before I eat it all..."

"Well, can't have ya doin' that." Lyra takes her meal and beckons for Honi to follow her. "C'mon! Let's hang by the docks; they's nearby here."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lyra sank her teeth into the kebab. She wasn't all that particular about food, but the higher quality of the fish and freshness of the vegetables definitely not lost to her as she wolfed multiple pieces down at a time. With the way she ate, one might have even mistaken her for a beast man or uncouth savage--which wasn't too far from the truth.

"So," she said, in between mouthfuls, "this brother-a yours. He wrote ya home, yeah? Until five years ago? What's his last letter say?"

Edited by Kaizyr

Thankfully, Honi was no better in terms of eating as he dug into his own meal with equal gusto. The pair shared a more of silence as they chewed before Lyra lobbed a question his way. Besides the food they were working on, Honi silently reminded himself she offered to help in his search so in the least, he should begin to pass on anything he knew.

"Yes.. Frequently. he traveled... Well.. Everywhere it seemed." Honi too spoke between mouthfuls before pausing long enough to finish off the large piece of fish he was currently battling from his own kebab. "He often spoke of the adventures he was on.. The sights he was seeing... Never spoke of anything that resembled danger... Which is why it was a shock when he stopped writing. His last letter put him around Carteneau... So.. We naturally assumed the worse..."

His last words hung heavy as he spoke of the past great battle, given the fact the devastation associated with it.

Some tomato juice dribbled down her chin as Lyra chewed thoughtfully. "Carteneau? Hmm, that name sounds familiar..."

She thought a short while longer. Then, she scowled in remembrance, swallowing her mouthful. "Ah yeah, I remember now. And it was five years ago. The Flames rallied and made a big fuss about goin' to battle around there."

Lyra took an annoyed bite out of a fish piece, spitting out a fishbone off to the side. "Next thing we knew, hundreds of damn refugees came pourin' into Ul'dah and the surroundin' area, settin' up camps outside the city when the walls overflowed. Kept babblin' about this 'Carteneau' place like the Twelve wreaked vengeance on them."

Edited by Kaizyr

He listened to her tale of how her homeland had been effected by the events five years prior and frowned, pausing in eating his meal to offer a slow nod of his head in understanding. "Trying times indeed... It seems you can see the effects of what happened everywhere... In my own home, the Black Shroud has changed much because of this... Strange creatures appearing.. Huge sections of the forest itself set ablaze... Damn Garlean invaders..."

He growled at the mention of what had happened. He returned to his food and decided to push the topic back to his brother. "We... Thought him gone... For five years.. And then I received a parcel from him some months ago... Curious archers attire... Quality armaments and equipment...  And a note that said, "These belong to you, I no longer need them. Go and start your adventure..."

"He was being cryptic... But it was him sure enough... I need to know why he has been gone for so long... And why he hasn't returned."

Lyra chewed on the last morsel of her kebab just as she chewed on her thoughts regarding Honi's quest. As she swallows that last bit, a simply epiphany hits her. She flashes a bright grin at Honi. "Looks like your bro's gettin' his wish for ya. Leavin' home and endin' up across the sea? On a quest for a lost sibling?"

She booped him on the nose, her expression fading into minor smug territory. "You's already at the start of your own adventure."