Far From Home

Kaizyr

His attention was on the Hyur as he rushed in, the commotion pulling him from his thoughts but it was until Tarp began to speak did Honi damn near pounce him as he rushed to the man.

"Aye! Do you know where she is"  He fired off, nearly tripping over his words with a sense of urgency. The way the man rushed in, Honi could only assume that Lyra went and got her into trouble, and possible not the good kind.

Tarp rested his hands on Honi's shoulders, jostling him with his own sense of urgency. "Mate, your lass friend... She knew what she was doing. The promise she made me keep, the time and place. It was like she knew what was coming! I don't say this about most anyone. Actually, normally I'd right not to care. Most business is business, you know. But their business is--"

He growled, frustrated with his bumbling. "Aww seven hells, mate! Your lass friend--you've gotta save her! I dunno what she meant, but she said to check the Adventurer's Guild for a message--or, or a package or something!"

His eyes narrowed upon the bumbling sailor, the normally calm demeanor the Miqo'te was known for vanishing as the red war paint smeared across his face took precedence and it was clear that despite his jovial nature, Honi could be down right dangerous. The second he heard Lyra was in danger the hackles on the back of his neck stood on end and by the time the man had finished speaking he was gone, tearing off towards the adventurers guild to see what happened to the woman who had fast became his friend.

He ran in a full out sprint, Hyurs, Elezens, Roe, Lalafells and other Miqos passed by with out a moments notice as he navigated the sea of people before him. In damn near moments after receiving the news he was barging into the Adventures Guild, eyes wild as he barked out. "Lyra left something for me!"

Momodi, the guild proprietress, was not manning the counter. Instead, another Lalafell woman was serving as her stand-in. She panicked a bit when Honi came racing up to and barking at her, shielding herself and looking away. "EEEEEK! Please don't eat me!!!"

"Calm down, friend. You don't want to make a scene, hm?" Seated off to the side of the counter was a familiar face: Marcella Rose. She was looking at him with ambivalent regard, but offered a welcoming smile upon seeing his face. "Well! Fancy meeting you here. What seems to be the trouble?"

He never considered how imposing his entrance could have come off as, barging in and suddenly barking out demands. He shied away form the Lalafell, hand raised in a apologetic manner though the urgency in his eyes never left. He was about to speak once more when a familiar voice cut through the air and he wheeled about to look upon Marcella. He heard her words... Saw her smile... And immediately suspicion set upon him.

"Trouble you say..." He clenched his jaw as he picked at his next words. "Friend left something here.. Might you know something about that... or her?" His tail waved backed and forth, flicking in annoyance. He had a strange feeling about the Hyur when they first crossed paths and was wondering if his intuition had been correct.

Marcella merely grinned and produced something from her satchel: Lyra's bandana. It was folded carefully, but the corner of a piece of paper was sticking out from inside. A note?

"Your friend is the one who left this with the Adventurer's Guild, I take it." She offered it up to him casually. "Excuse me for being a tad nosy; I merely thought you'd want to procure it from a more familiar face."

• 2 weeks later...

He froze upon seeing Marcella or rather what she held in her hand, her words nearly ignored. His hair stood on end, as if there was one thing about Lyra to be truth, she would never part with her bandana so easily. Golden eyes would dart from the bandana to the Hyur woman and Honi would steady himself with a deep and slow breath. 

"Thank you... You wouldn't happen to know what happened to my friend, would you..." His tone was neutral, with a slight edge. He hadn't trusted the woman at all and this moment didn't strengthen and possible reason to change the train of thought.

"Well, I assume that's what this note is for," Marcella replied evenly.

She plucked the piece of paper out from inside the bandana and unfolded it for both her and Honi to see. It wasn't a whole piece of parchment, but it was part of a map that detailed Ul'dah. Somewhere near where the Quicksand was labeled, someone had furiously encircled a certain area in ink.

Marcella quirked an eyebrow at the location. "That's a section of passageway that leads to the catacombs... Do you think she could be waiting for you there?"

"Only one way to find out." Those golden eyes scanned over the map, soaking in every detail before he turned to run off. He only mad it as far as the entrance when he came to a stop and looked over his shoulder at the woman. He hadn't a clue who she was aside from Marcella Rose, the woman he met on the ferry. Still, it seemed off that he'd run into her given the circumstances. More was at play then he knew of and Honi found the taste of being kept in the dark was not a flavor he enjoyed.

"You coming or just going to stay there and look pretty?" He asked, trying to hide the nervous energy bubbling with in. For now, he didn't trust the woman as far as he could toss her but it made all the more sense to keep her close by. It he was going to be bit in the ass, he'd at least like to see it coming.

"I was hoping you'd extend an invitation," Marcella said evenly, following Honi out the door.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The passageway to the catacombs was not very well-lit. As Honi and Marcella made their way through it, there wasn't a soul in sight besides their own. It seemed that this section of Ul'dah had long been abandoned and forsaken to any respectable patrol units. This probably meant any kind of shady business could be dealt here, or that Lyra had hiding spots in very low places.

Closer to the catacombs, they started to hear voices.

"We've been looking for you a long time, Halflander," someone's voice echoed. "How you managed to elude us all these years is incomprehensible."

Then, Lyra's voice: "Guess you ain't much good at yer job, yeah?" She chuckled but was cut off by the sound of a smack--probably across her face.

Marcella held up her hand to stop Honi from advancing, and she herself stalked forward to peer around the corner. A surprised look flashed across her face as she looked over her shoulder at Honi. "...Brass Blades--the local authorities of the city," she murmured, with a bit of distaste in her tone. "Actually, calling them 'authorities' would be generous in most cases."

"How about we called them dead instead?" Honi spoke in a low voice but there was no hiding the edge to his voice. He had been quiet the bulk of the trip but the moment he heard Lyra's voice, life had been breath back into him. His face lit up, a range of emotion that shifted from one aspect to the next. Relief that she was alive, fear that something could be wrong with her, and lastly anger that someone dared such a feat.

Standing besides Marcella, Honi had no realized that the bow he held slung over his shoulder had been shrugged off and he already had an arrow notched and ready. It was such a practiced motion thanks to years of training that it seemed nearly mechanical in motion. Regardless, what was more important was the dangerous look held with in the golden eyes. It seemed Honi was ready to get his friend back.

From what they could see from around the corner, Lyra was bound with her hands behind her against one of the catacombs' beams. There were three Brass Blades--a female Roe, a female Miqo'te, and a male Lalafell. Each of them was in full uniform, complete with chainmail and masks. The one harassing Lyra was the Roe.

The Roe crouched down and pointed an accusatory finger at her. "Don't you give me your sass, mongrel. You're valuable merchandise, and the Thornes might prefer you alive because of it... but I'm willing to bed they won't give two shakes of a Wharf Rat if we just decide to gut you before they get here themselves."

Lyra flashed a taunting smirk. "Ya say y're workin' for the Thornes, but looks like I'm the one bein' a 'thorn' in yer aft."

"She's annoying," the Miqo said, drawing her blade. "Can we just skin her already?"

Marcella gestures to Honi. "Lead the way."

Honi peeked around the corner once more, taking stock on the situation at hand. He measured the trio, listing which would be the most dangerous and deciding in which order they should be felled. Interesting enough, the Lalafell's size, it made it the smallest target and the hardest to hit while in motion. The next was the Miqo, who already had a blade out and the last was the Ro, who didn't present a vital enough target for him to attack.

A deep breath taken, Honi pulled back behind cover and readied himself. Now or never, the thought ran through his head and with confirmation that Marcella would move with him, Honi started the attack. His movement was near perfect, years of training shining through as the nocked arrow was loosened in a flawless motion. Moments before he had been behind cover only to stand out and release. His target had not moved and thus, the arrow appeared in the elbow joint of the Lalafell's elbow, piercing the chain mail with the force of the arrow causing the small Blade to fly forward. The second arrow followed moment later, striking the Miqo in her wrist causing her blade to drop. A third arrow was readied as he continued to step forward, waiting for the Ro to present a target he got hit. Despite his earlier comments, it seemed for now Honi aimed to keep the trip alive. People who were dead couldn't answer questions after all.

"Gah! What in the seven hells--!" The Lalafell went thump onto the ground and waved his injured arm reflexively, which only served to irritate the arrow stuck through his elbow.

"REEEEEEEE!" screeched the Miqo, dropping her sword and recoiling to nurse her wrist.

The Roe looked over her shoulder to see her injured comrades. Then her gaze locked in Honi's direction. "Whoever you are over there, you're dead scum!" She drew her blade and began to run--only to trip over Lyra's outstretched leg.

And the moment the Roe tumbled to the floor Honi was there to pin her sword arm with a well placed shot. Years of stalking the Shroud seemingly paid off and the Miqo discovered at that moment that he did have what it took for armed combat. Up until, he had only hunted and fought against primals... This.. This was different. And personal. "My aim is exceptional. I chose to spare your lives but rest assured my next shots won't be loosened with the intention of wounding...  Give me a reason to keep you lot alive." He said in a deep steady tone, trying to sound as intimidating as possible as he hurried to Lyra to undo her binds.

"You fine?" He near whispered as he found against the rope that tied her in place. All the while he seemingly forgot he was with Marcella.

Edited by Zari'to Honi

"Took ya long enough," Lyra teased, as Honi untied her from the beam. She got up and stretched her arms and legs, turning her attention to the Blades that Honi had more or less rendered combat-useless. "Pretty nice shootin' there, mate."

At this point, Marcella walked out from the corner she was hiding behind with Honi. She wore the same calm smile she always had as she surveyed the scene before her.

Lyra turned to Marcella, but addressed Honi. "And of course, ya brought along a lady frie..." She froze upon getting a good look at Marcella.

Marcella's attention rested on Lyra, her calm not breaking. "Hello, Halflander. It's been a while."

Honi was not sure if it was the fact that Lyra cut her self short or if it was Marcella's interjection that cause him to spin about in place and ready another arrow. Nocked and ready to go, he looked to Marcella, and accusing stare offered. He knew better to trust her but he couldn't believe he had been so caught up in rescuing Ly he didn't take account that Marcella had waited in the back, not aiding at all. Of course he was the fact that she spoke to Ly in such a familiar way now, he knew something was up.

"Ly, who is she?" He figured he'd get an actual answer from her as oppose from Marcella. It seemed the situation had shifted, out of the frying pan and into the fire so to say.

Lyra’s eyes narrowed as she moved to stand beside Honi and face Marcella. Her hands balled into a pair of shaking fists. If Honi noticed, he would only be able to conclude that something about Marcella scared Lyra. “Well, well. Ya decided to come on down here and pick me up yerself, eh.”

“Thorne!” the injured Roe cried out. “Why the hell did you bring this arrow-spitting -weasel- with you?!”

“Owieeeee!” complained the Miqo.

“Gaaahahaha...” wailed the Lalafell.

Marcella’s grin didn’t leave her face as she turned to the injured Blades, but there was a cold, almost ruthless look in her eye as she did. “I trusted you to handle things. If a single arrow is all it takes to stop you, perhaps my family and I overpaid what’s due. And as you are well aware... we -hate- being ripped off.”

She settled her attention on Honi. Seeing the look on his face, Marcella touched a hand to her collar in a dramatic gesture of apology. ”Oh Honi, please excuse me. Did I not introduce myself properly when we first met?” 

Her hand then went from her collar to her side in a sweeping motion, as if she were presenting something to them. And she was. No sooner had she finished did a large contingent of Brass Blades march around the corner and stand at her side. Too many for just Honi and Lyra to take on by themselves.

“My name is Marcella Thorne. And I will thank you to surrender that Halflander friend of yours—the one who murdered my brother.”

Edited by Kaizyr

Those golden eyes would go wide with surprise upon hearing Marcella's accusation and for a moment the Miqo wavered. There was a slackness to his arms and it appeared he was in the process of lowering the bow but he froze seconds later as if he had come to a decision. He stood there a moment, still as can be besides the twitching of his tail. He never took his eyes off of Marcella or the Brass Blades that flanked her but he did turn his head to the side so there was no mistaking the fact that he was addressing Lyra as much as anyone else.

"Maybe she did... Maybe she didn't... Maybe she had her reasons... Maybe she didn't... Call me stupid but I've decided to throw my trust in this trouble maker here... She helped me out of a bind once upon a time so I owe her... Besides, I'm not in the habit of standing by while my friends need me..." With that said, the Miqo returned to his ready stance, arrow aimed at Marcella and waiting to be loosened. "This is the good kind of trouble, right Ly?"

“More’s the pity, it seems.” Marcella sighed and shrugged, then turned to the Blades. “I trust this many of you will have little trouble taking them alive? A Seeker in this part of the realm can be quite valuable.”

The Blades began to stalk forward. 

Lyra looked around. This particular catacombs section was dimly illuminated by a lantern fastened to each pillar—many of which had gone out a long time ago. In turn, the lanterns were conveniently burning on wax wicks. Perhaps a deliberately aimed projectile would knock those wicks off... 

“If it ain’t good trouble now, it sure is gonna be in a second.” Lyra tried to catch Honi’s eye and flicked her attention discreetly at the two lanterns leading to two passageways in the opposite direction of the approaching Blades. “Whatcha say we put out their lights?”

She didn’t wait for him to reply. As soon as she finished speaking, Lyra whipped around and smacked the lantern wick on the pillar behind them, knocking it off its place and putting its flame out.

The light around them disappeared, and the sudden darkness obscured them from the oncoming Blades—particularly since they had masks on.

Every great partnership has a beginning. Their paths had crossed sometime ago when Lyra, the smart talking pirate of a girl with a knack for getting into trouble stepped in to aid a naive Miqo with a budding thirst for adventure when he gotten into a jam. Their friendship bloomed soon afterwards and the pair got along well. However there in the caverns at this very moment, something amazing was happening. A turning point for the pair, and perhaps years from now the two would remember fondly when their story came together. This was the beginning of their partnership.

"Could't agree more Ly." Honi chirped, reading exactly what she meant and in turn switching his target from Marcella to one of the candles.

Despite having an archer of their own, Honi was able to evade the loosen arrow, feeling the disturbed air rush by as he ducked to the side narrowly avoiding the attack. His attention was on the candles and in short order they had all gone out leaving everyone in darkness. Marcella may have had numbers, but Lyra happened to have a Keeper with large golden eyes, with only widen in the darkness. He was built for this and as such, took hold of Lyra's hand and took off. For him, seeing wasn't much of a obstacle. "Stay close!" He whispered harshly. As bad as he wanted to fight, fleeing seemed like the better option.

((Lyra: [flails in the background] "I ain't a pirate!"))

The Blades broke out into a chorus of curses and startled cries as the lights went out. But they regained their bearings soon after, the sound of clanking chainmail trailing Honi and Lyra as they fled.

"Down the passageway on the right," Lyra whispered, keeping pace with him as she was tugged along. "We need to listen for the sound of rushing water."

By the sounds of it, this wasn't the first time Lyra had been down here.

(Should have said pirate like ^^)

"I leave you alone for a few hours." He was busy chastising her as they ran along, sure not to let go or else fear of being separated. The Miqo had zero intentions of stopping it seemed.

Listening to her directions, sure enough a passage way opened up to the right and just beyond the fair glow of wall mounted torches. Risking a glance over his shoulder, golden eyes would spy the spark of flint as the Blades frantically tried to get the candles going against. They were moving faster then he hoped which meant they had to run even faster at this point.

"I hear it!" He gushed as those big cat like ears twitched, the faint continuous rush of water sounding to life. They weren't to far off now. Funny though, Honi never stopped to think what they would have to do once they reached the water.

Thankfully, Lyra already knew what to do once they did reach the water. When they finally reached the source of the sound, Honi's excellent night-vision would see that it was some kind of water drain--a sewer pipe large enough for a grown Hyur or Miqo to fit through. Lyra stopped as soon as she felt herself step on water, then tugged silently at Honi to follow her.

"I think I heard them go this way!" The Blades were approaching, but they hadn't rounded the corner yet.

Lyra dove into the pipe, sliding down, down, down and carried briskly by the slippery stream. The ride through the pipe would go on for a good, long ten seconds before shooting her out the other side, outside the city limits where Soot Creek was.

And as Lyra took the lead and dove into the pipe Honi froze. Because not only was he gifted with excellent sight in the darkness, but a rather acute sense of smell. And right now, his nose was telling him he wanted no part of going into the sewers.

"This... This is your idea!" He said harshly into the pipe, his voice carrying down to her with that hint of annoyance laced with in.

Still, he knew beggars could not be choosers and so grumbling as he did so, Honi hugged his bow and quiver close to his chest and followed behind her into heavens knew what. The only thing Honi knew, he would be ridding himself of the clothes he had on and treating himself to a nice bath when all was said and done.