Question: Elezen Age

I'm helping a friend with a story, and I was wonder is there any mention of how Elezen age?

Do they age slower like other elves from games, (i.e can live for hundreds of years), or do they age like everyone else?

I'm looking around for such information, but have been having little luck.

I'm afraid there's not a whole lot of information about the lifespans of any of the races.  We know that lalafell have longer lifespans.  And I keep hearing that elezen live longer than hyur but I'm not sure I've seen that in-game anywhere officially or posted by a dev.

If no one has already done so, it might be a good idea to pose the question on the Official Lore forum that S-E has.  I know they sometimes address player questions about the lore like this.  And I know this one has been asked quite a bit lately.

• 2 years later...

I think our resident lore expert will drop in shortly with all sorts of links and quotes from official sources, but if I remember correctly from those threads in the past, it was established that all races live to roughly the same age (which is usually pretty low due to the dangers of Eorzea), yet races such as Elezen and Lalafell look younger for longer.

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me if I'm wrong soon enough.

It was answered at the Vegas Fanfest.

What are the age scales of the races?

Fernehalwes: The five races can live to 100-120 biologically, but most people don’t live much longer than 50. Elezen have longer lifespans.

He doesn't say -how much- longer so we can assume that it may be something like 5-20 years difference. So most others live to 100 but Elezen may live to 120.

It was answered at the Vegas Fanfest.

What are the age scales of the races?

Fernehalwes: The five races can live to 100-120 biologically, but most people don’t live much longer than 50. Elezen have longer lifespans.

He doesn't say -how much- longer so we can assume that it may be something like 5-20 years difference. So most others live to 100 but Elezen may live to 120.

Damn Eorzea must be brutal to have a life expectancy be only half of what you are capable of living.

A lot of people in their 'slice of life' mentality seem to forget that Eorzea is a really brutal place to live.  Conjury will only go so far, we have war veterans all over the place, and that doesn't even take into account the losses incurred during the Calamity, and those people who never really recovered mentally from 'My world is ending.'  I play more light-hearted characters, but Eorzea is a pretty grim place when you peel the surface 'This is a bright Final Fantasy game' back away from it. 

Look at the things that happen around the WoL.  Massacres, murders, primal summoning, and we only get to see it from that one perspective, never through the eyes of everyone around the WoL who has to clean up the mess afterwards.  When the WoL comes in and clears out an area, or their presence causes a fuss, what happens?  Who goes in and cleans it all up? 

There's an underside to everything that most people don't look at.  The world is harsh and we see some older looking NPC's, yes, but most people are expected to die young, especially those in some type of service to their City-State.  It's why my oldest character (discounting Glioca, who is alive because alchemy and Echo), is in her late 30's, and she accepts herself as 'middle aged', because she knows that while Hyur can live to be very old, she's in a profession (hunting) that will likely end in her death sometime in the near future.

Back on topic, I think that Elezen have a longer lifespan because it's expected, as in most games, that elves live longer. I tend to run with the personal headcanon (as we don't have a lot to back it up), that Elezen and Lalafell are the two longest lived races if only because of the way they live. I expect an Elezen adventurer is as prepared for death as their Hyurian counterparts. So I would more say that lifespan is directly proportionate to the occupation of the individual, and the lifestyle they live as a character.

This thread on Racial Lore and Background has all the official lore on the Race's ages, backgrounds, and traits. Should help!

To answer the Elezen aging briefly, Elezens live extended lives than Hyur and also develop slower. Meaning childhood and adolescence phases last longer than the other races. The exact dev answer can be found at the above link.

EDIT: As far as Lalafell go, the official answer is that they live the same lifespan as Hyur. Ququruka, who lived to be roughly 150 years old, was expressly stated as being an exception notbthe rule. That said, Lalafell age very well, and most of the races cannot distinguish Lalafellin aging. They appear as children to most, even if they are in their 50s.

Hope this helps! ^^