Race/Clan choice...why?

I was the type of person that would rather play a female Aman than a Castanic or High Elf (for those who've played TERA).

I hated Castanics females simply for the way they moved. I liked High Elves (I normally do), but those super awesome Aman females and those child bearing hips were too good.

<3 Aman in TERA both male and female though I'd have to say male Aman had the most adorable /love in the game.

Highlander, why because the leader of the Immortal Flames is said to have dreadlocks in his description.

Though I did fall in love with Lalafell and I usually am not always into short races other than dwarves, which I admire more than I actually play as.

So yes I have a Lalafell and he is going to be a sarcastic funny twit. His name is Asambe Kyambe.  Some on here have already seen him and his pic is up on the show off your characters thread.

To put it simply, I really enjoy playing a female that looks like a rough bitch.

Well if that's not the coolest shit I've read all day...

Really though, looking dirty and mean is so underrated these days. My last touch-up to Uther was adding in the blush from the face paint option and coloring it gray to make his face look dirty. Haven't decided if I want to keep it yet.

Initially, before I got my hands on the creator, I had it all set up in my head.  A stoic, grim faced Elezen.  The epidemy of elitism and aloofness.  Once I got into the creator, for giggles I created a seeker of the sun, female miqo'te and fell instantly in love.

The facial features and expressions, the emotes, everything was perfect for the kind of sassy, bratty kind of character that I suddenly wanted to make!  So I guess my reasons, in a manner of speaking, was love at first sight?

I knew straight away I wasn't going to play a lala as I dont' typically enjoy the shorter races, and same for the giganormous ones, so Rogadyn was quickly over-ruled.

I've to date, made 5 different seeker of the sun miqo'te just because I like the variations they can have.  I went with sun because I prefer the more vibrant colors that being a seeker of the sun implies, as far as skin tone and hair color tends to be concerned.

On top of that, the character that quickly began forming in my head was a young lass who spends a great deal of her time outdoors in the sun, a nice tan or darker skin with light hair.  Anyhow, yeah.

A lot of it really is a "look and feel" kind of thing. Sometimes a few random choices in the character gen may suddenly spark a character idea.

I tend to go through the creator and see which characters interests me. I try to avoid the human races and go for something more exotic. I need to like how the character looks and is animated. I still like pretty females or sexy males. Lastly I consider the profile of the race in general and make sure I can work it into my concept.

My answer to this question can be pretty much summed up as: Ehhhhhhhhn.

Intelligible answer: I pick what suits the character idea I get.

Long answer: I like certain things more than others, and I tend to get more ideas for those, but it's not predictable and I can end up playing characters I'd never anticipate. If you'd told me a few months into playing WoW one of my most cherished characters ever by the time I quit for real would be a night elf warrior, I'd kick you in the teeth.

Detailed answer: For Rhostel, I felt a strong pull from the Ala Mhigan lore, especially the refugees, and wanted to play right into that. That made Highlander the logical choice, and that was a little before Highlander females were even fully confirmed, let alone any concepts shown.

For Nahctgeim, I wanted to translate the concept of Asami from Avatar: The Legend of Korra into this game. We'd seen female Roegadyn in several screenshots by this point, and I knew their statuesque fabulousness was perfect. Making her a Sea Wolf made everything click into place. It also lead to several divergences from her inspiration, making her all the more rounded and unique.

I usually pick my race/clan/faction/etc. of choice out of the one I find has an inspirational lore, or powerful concepts that I think will help me expand a character in my mind. I generally don't play humans, as I find one of my greatest enjoyments in RP in trying to wrap my mind around the cultural points of view and reactions of fictional races.

In this case, my main of choice is a Roegadyn. First, because I find no appeal in the Miqo's, and don't generally like elves. No offense to their players, but in most games there is a race to which I always sense that people with different RP styles than mine are going to gravitate towards. I had doubts between Lalafell and a Sea Wolf, but ultimately I thought that perhaps Roegadyn were going to see the least love from the community and decided for a very cliché concept to begin with: the fatherly, gentle giant. It was out of the need of a breath of fresh air seeing how I had gone for more gritty, dark characters in other settings, and I simply needed a simple, easy break for once, one that had ease to socialize as opposed to the brooding, deep character.

Initially (as seen in my intro thread), I'd actually planned to go with a Highlander Hyur because I liked the look and planned to use the Ala Mhigo connection to go with the family backstory for the character.

But, once I got ingame and played around, looked at some of the animations and then went back to the character creator, out popped a Midlander that I was really happy with.

TLDR; Chalk it up to 'look and feel' this time around.

I have been wrestling with this for weeks! I like the Elezen's snarky attitude, but the proportions of the model bug me. I always like to play the less popular race so there isn't 500 copies of me running around. I would gladly play a Hyur, but all the male hyur prefer the same hairstyle and I agree, it is the best, but again... copies. I would play a Miqo'te male but they are just as popular as Hyur >< 

I can't decide! I know I should just say 'screw what everyone else does' and go with what I like looking at, but the copies man, the copppieeess! I remember playing FFXI in a party of 4 Hume's with the same hairstyle and color, though I know these are more varied in color.

I have been wrestling with this for weeks! I like the Elezen's snarky attitude, but the proportions of the model bug me. I always like to play the less popular race so there isn't 500 copies of me running around. I would gladly play a Hyur, but all the male hyur prefer the same hairstyle and I agree, it is the best, but again... copies. I would play a Miqo'te male but they are just as popular as Hyur >< 

I can't decide! I know I should just say 'screw what everyone else does' and go with what I like looking at, but the copies man, the copppieeess! I remember playing FFXI in a party of 4 Hume's with the same hairstyle and color, though I know these are more varied in color.

Oh no man Elezen all the way.

Unless you're playing a dirty Duskwight. Then get out.

(Just kidding~)

I normally prefer elves in most games, they have an elegant grace to them. But Elezen here look awkward to me. I've tried to like them, but I just can't. Mind you, as a personal race I would play, I love other people playing them. 

I choose Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te for a few reasons. The only other race that appeals to me is Lalafell and I'm not sure I could RP one appropriately. I played a mithra in FFXI so nostalgia is another reason. Keeper in particular because they are a matriarchal group. Being a woman naturally makes me lean towards it. 

Ultimately in other games I choose race by Elegance, Grace, and beauty first. Then the adorable races second. GW2 is the only game I played Human, but I loved their lore more than any other race

Honestly, those who know me are probably really surprised by my choice of Hyur over Elezen because of my obsession with playing elven mages every chance I get. (I'm still making a Black Mage, though.) I guess I just wanted a change. And after seeing just how big and clunky the Elezen are in-game, I'm glad I went that way because I just don't like being that tall. (Probably something to do with my being short IRL.) That "I don't want to be some big hulking chick" mentality is also why I went with Midlander rather than Highlander.

So... No real story reason for my choices, lol. It was more of a personal preference/aesthetic reason. Call me shallow, I don't care. I stand by my choice.

Oddly enough, this character was loosely based on the main character I played in Skyrim and had a name before I made the final race/clan decision. Luckily, it ended up fitting pretty well with the naming conventions and went with her actual character background. So I guess I lucked out pretty well. :)

To be fair, though, I'm also planning to make a non-RP Lalafell just because they're cute and I'm going to need some cuteness to escape to when my RP character's life starts taking darker turns.

To put it simply, I really enjoy playing a female that looks like a rough bitch.

Well if that's not the coolest shit I've read all day...

Really though, looking dirty and mean is so underrated these days. My last touch-up to Uther was adding in the blush from the face paint option and coloring it gray to make his face look dirty. Haven't decided if I want to keep it yet.

I totally agree! It's to the point where when I see characters that people consider beautiful or ..."sexy" I can't help but cringe. Mostly because I kind of feel like they don't really have a place in the world. Not to say that there can't be attractive characters, but I largely think that even the most blandest of characters are going to look a little pretty mostly because of how the character models are done.

But, I mean... We're out getting shit done. It'd be pretty much impossible to look as pristine as some characters might suggest, unless they're spending all of their time hanging out in the city and nothing else.

But, uh. Sorry for the derail there.

My preference has been the highland hyur for a combination of reasons that I still find difficult to explain. They project a strength of character and seriousness that seems appropriate in the context of what has happened to Eorzea. Their homeland has been taken over recently, which gives a good reason why any number of highland hyur would be seeking their fortunes elsewhere, either to turn a new leaf or to prepare for the eventual reconquest of their lost homeland of Gyr Abania. I feel those are the reasons that draw me the most to the race, although there is also the fact that miqo'te seem to dominate the servers, so I feel compelled to play something different. Plus, they are a proud race with a strong sense of honor. They had everything and then lost it all. There is a struggle to find meaning in their lives and to regain the respect that they had lost.

I chose Miqo'te, unknowing of how... popular they were. I chose them, specifically Seekers of the Light, for one reason. I remember reading in the brief description that they have strong legs, and my job is Dragoon, so it seemed like a perfect match. Kind of silly reasoning looking back on it, but I like the race.

So, amusingly this has been the topic of gentle debate for both of my characters, main and alt.  My main has been a hyur since 1.0 and will remain as such, but i've been hemming and hawing between midlander and highlander.  She started out midlander, a close friend suggested highlander for...aesthetic reasons.   This is a character concept that, like him, i've played through FFXI first (as a hume of course), so i've had a certain appearance for her that she's held for a long time.  

desban.gif

Obviously, midland hyur does suit her build (she was the smallest size), a fiesty little mnk with a sweet streak that won her the heart of a certain unnnamed elvaan mentioned above.  But her personality shows more clearly in the highlanders emotes, they just seem so...alive.  Hense, my problem.

My alt is also a hold over from a character played in FFXI, my blm Rialulu *points to my avatar*  I tried making her as a lala in 1.0...but after giving it long thought, i realized how very sick i was of looking at kneecaps.  I set Lulu aside, even though her brother Pooka continued on.  Now my brother is thinking of swapping to Miqo'te...which would suit me just fine really, so she may be able to join us again...able to look at well, waists...cause i cant play something overly tall (its just weird, i'm only 5'2!)

Originally, I was just so annoyed by people RPing as catgirls in other mmo's where it wasn't an actual race choice that my first reaction when I got into FF XIV was approximately lolcatgirlgottaplaythis.

So I did.

Yep, it's that simple!

Then I figured I really like the look and I wanted a blue one because for some reason I thought it looked awesome so I went Keeper of the Moon.

And I'm gonna get a Sea Wolf Roegadyn alt because pirates.