Age Thread!

22 here, turning 23 toward the end of the year. No formal training outside of standard English courses (or perhaps not so standard; my state has had a rather horrible track record for the last... um... ever), most of how I write is a result of reading an absurd amount and tweaking my style as I go/pick things up. Been roleplaying in one form or another for around ten years now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 20 and have only ever RP'd one game with one(arguably two -o-) people. I'm quite new to it and my writing isn't anything special unfortunately but hopefully I can only get better, especially from this community ^^"

I'm 32. I've been RPing in-game or in forums since I was 8-10 years old. I was drawn into the RP-only Dragonrealms MUD in the GEnie/Prodigy days, and frequented the message boards that made up the internet in those days, writing stories and RPing in those dedicated to stuff like Dragonriders of Pern and Xanth. From there it's probably unsurprising that I went on to tabletops and graphical MMOs.

I've never had any formal training. I did take a writing class in high school but it seemed like a wasted effort. We were either expected to write poetry (which I despise) or we just ended up writing stuff endlessly to be critiqued by the teacher who never actually seemed to teach us anything. Meh, wasted a semester there.

Of course, my writing has evolved over time through interactions with others and the development of my mental maturity. I still have some of my old stories, some of which make me cringe, while others surprise me that I was that inventive.

I just turned 32 myself. I played table top rp games back in high school but once I hit college and grad school, I didn't play as often. Plus I was a little wrapped up running endgame stuff on XI and WoW during that time.

I have always done creative writing though, and kept my stories going. Shifted into rp in the last few years and now it's my bread and butter when it comes to playing mmo's

:bouncy:

Almost 33. 

Many considering my writing skills to be a crime against the English language.  Or at least my English major fiancee does.  The longer my posts go.  The more you will see it.  Though in most cases if I keep it short my rp will flow easily and be quite understandable.

Mm. RP history. 

I'm 24. I'll be 25 at the end of the year... I've been RPing online since I was 10 or so. 

I remember, back in those days, playing through various AOL chatrooms.. A lot of sitting and watching. I used to be a terrible typer - I was the kid that typed with letters instead of words, numbers instead of spelling them out. I had no caps, no punctuation.. And I thought it was ok.

Then I tried to join a World of Darkness: Werewolf the Apocalypse mud. They had -strict- typing rules, so I had to learn. I sat in a lobby of that mud talking to people, watching people.. And eventually I got to the point that I used caps as a habit, punctuation became second nature. It's not that I didn't know how to use it, it's just that I didn't know why I should. Then I'd go back to the AOL chatrooms and find -so much- more RP. 

I remember telling people my age throughout my early teens. People I'd RPed with for months, for a year, for more.. Telling them I was 12, 15, whatever age at the time.. And I remember losing a lot of friends over it. A lot of adults weren't ok with RPing with a child in the late 90's, early 2000's. I remember it pissed me off, and frustrated me to no end. I mean.. I could hold my own in a battle of wits, or in quality of RP as it were, with all of these adults.. And even though I was, atleast I felt I was, an adult mentally.. They would leave, uncomfortable with RPing with a child in body, if not in mind. 

So I stopped telling people my age, untill I was over 18. Even then, I kept it guarded.. Had a few people get uncomfortable because I was the same age as their children. 

And, well. Long story short, many muds, MMOs, and tabletops later.. Here I am. 24 years old, and at a point I like to think others consider a 'decent typist and RPer' at the least.

26 Year old here. Trying to finish the last term or two of my College career and just wait as the loan payments come in without the job I need to pay them with.

As for my RP experience, well I don't really have a whole lot. I am playing in a D&D campaign for about a year now but I haven't been able to really grow out of my shell because honestly I'm a pretty shy person. With this I am trying to open that up and maybe actually really get into RPing. Although it doesn't help that I am playing someone who really resembles me. So please forgive me in advance if I screw up something here or there.

I am 28.  I am a teacher and finishing up a PhD.  Despite my education, I am not very good at spelling or proofreading.  Hope everyone can deal.  :angel: 

Regarding RP experience: I grew up on the internet and RPed regularly for my preteen and teen years in the Redwall, Animorphs, and Dragonriders of Pern fandoms in chatrooms, MUDs, and mostly play-by-email.  I RPed a little in FFXI, too, in the Midgardsormr server, but I stopped playing FFXI maybe a year-and-a-half after launch because I was in college by then and realized I was gaming all the time instead of making friends.  I haven't really RPed in about 8 or 9 years, but I've written some fiction, off and on, for fun.  I tend to be a campy writer and not take myself too seriously.

I do some light RP with a friend who plays Guild Wars 2 with me (I am a bossy professor and he is my malleable student... projecting real life much?) but that's all I've done in recent years.  I am really excited to get back into my teen hobby with my experience and perspectives as an adult.

32 here.. will be 33 in November.

I started to RP back in the days of AOL 2.0 when I was 16 and bounced between Forum and IM/Chat RP. I got a degree in Electrical Engineering but I actually work in Retail instead since it fits my personality better. Was an evening manager but got laid off due to the company going bankrupt... now I work Customer Service for another company and do my best to make customers and employees happy :thumbsup:

Been Rp'ing in video games for about 6 years on and off... mostly in LoTRO and I did a little in Tabula Rasa (more for comedy effect). Mix in some creative writing and also writing product reviews on Amazon for over a year I kind of ended up with a self taught style of RP . Not the best when it comes to punctuation so I just use my own style, which can sometimes drive my friends nuts; Plus it sometimes creeps them out that I RP anthro(furry) characters, as well as have no problem playing Female or Male characters.

:bouncy: Anyhow I'm the bouncy happy friendly person who is going to always try and make conversation OOC and cheer everyone up the best way I can.

I'm 26. I'm not much of a creative writer; the bulk of my literature experience comes from reading metric crap tons over the years. I tested out of English and writing classes in undergrad, so my writing skills were generally only used for scientific papers, as well as the essays and thesis I wrote while getting my music degree. Now with a masters in biology, I'm still more comfortable writing technical stuff than creative things.

I'm 18. Geeze I feel young :P! I just graduated high school this year and I'm going into my first semester of college this September majoring in Computer Science. Math and coding woo! I've been RP'ing for ages since second life when i was 13. RP'ing a clone trooper in a SWRP group. I moved to SWTOR,GW2,Tera but I never really got that invested mostly because I was a huge PvP'er. Although I love XIV and I love the people here. I think I have found my home!

I turned 30 a week ago. Its really good to see that there are quite a number of people who are around my age, it makes me happy to see this in the community. I'm currently a student of commercial photography and trying to finish my bachelor's degree. But, rping since 98' has made me feel a little old when I do see people who are younger than I was when I first started rping, pick up rp. But I'm glad to see it regardless! :D

I'm currently 31 and got my BA in English Literature, so I've always been a bookie... and wrote horrible horrible fanfics waaaay back in the day. :blush: I've been a writer since I could pick up a pencil to taking the step into RPing was fun, if a bit intimidating. I did semi-RP like things online for a few years but didn't start to ACTUALLY table-top RP until I was dragged kicking and screaming from my hidy-corner when I move across country for college. She was 6'1" Italian lady and would have none of my shy hiding-ness.... granted, she also decided I was too skinny and needed to eat more. (I kid you not. It was a college kid's dream come true... fresh home-cooked Italian food on a regular basis from the GM. Her family didn't even care I was a tiny little Irish thing. This was Boston... so the whole 'Italian family adopting the Irish kid' was fun to laugh about.) I spent 7 years RPing with them and I miss that character so badly... :cry:

Anyway, I RPed in DAoC when I got dragged into MMOs and did sort of PERSONAL RPing(basically working a character up and drawing them, writing stories for myself) in WoW because I never found people I wanted to, or felt comfortable enough to, RP with(and I was a hardcore progression raider from DAoC>Vanilla WoW up to Wrath before I retired to more relaxed gaming)... I haven't really gotten into an indepth RP MMO community in a few years and I'm still feeling a TAD intimidated/skitterish. But I'm working on that.

I started rping about 10 maybe 11 years ago among friends, this when i play warcraft, still rp with with TF:u friends. 

I'm 28, currently doing Graphic and art at collage as I'm a fail at grammar due to my dyslexia but do try my best, even on write up got friend who read over it, line anything need correcting or correct it herself to help me out.

But never had any issue about it in RP mostly because friends know spelling and grammar not my strong point :(