Secondary RP Server (Closed)

Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?

• Adamantoise
    • Behemoth
    • Cactuar
    • Coeurl
    • Diabolos
    • Gilgamesh
    • Goblin
    • Leviathan
    • Malboro
    • Midgardsormr
    • Ultros
    • Cerberus (EU)
    • Moogle (EU)
    • Odin (EU)
    • Shiva (EU)
    • I have no preference so long as it is a non-Legacy server. (Wildcard)

I came in and asked a simple question and was told I was rude for it.

I thought we cleared this up... :(

He's telling me, and you. All of us. That this site will hold a sort of authority, because of its easy ability to be found, and that he wants to use that authority to promote what he wants while pretending the site is an RP hub.

1) That's just the nature of the internet. There are really no other RP sites for FFXIV, so naturally this is the one that comes up, and thus the one people will go to.

2) To be fair, Balmung (then Besaid) was voted on, just like this poll here, by the community at the time. So to say this is what "he" wanted is a bit "unfair", as you put it.

I am not trying to hold it against you, but it appears that an opposing opinion is consistently seen as something evil. Instead of being treated as an individual, I'm treated as some other person or group or people that I've never even met.

Momoni, your concerns have been read and noted. And I see you've already voted. So how about you go make a post in the Welcome Desk and actually introduce yourself? :D

The rest of you, just go back to spectating. Thanks!

I am passionate about what I've said. You say my points were noted - but I felt deflected because, well, you brushed me off. I feel what I've said, while carrying an abrasive tone after everything that happened in the Gilgamesh thread, is still valid.

What my passion means is that I care - about enjoying RP and others enjoying RP. My experience has taught me that there's idealistic self righteousness in RP and there's realism. I care, and if that gets me banned because I've targeted you, well, it's not fine but we both know all you have to do is prove my points wrong, accept them as valid without telling me to go make my own forum or, ideally, adapt the site into a true RP hub or server specific site, and I'd gladly wander off.

But I came here knowing, also from experience, that there was just as likely a chance that I'd be banned for my first post, as I would be not banned. So it is not something that I've spent a lot of time worrying about. As long as I'm heard, the idea exists for a better future as I see it.

Hey, Momoni. Off topic, but are you Squirtle from SWTOR on Jung-Ma? Imperial?

I am not. O.o

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please refer to - http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2227

Especially note Regarding A Non-Legacy RP Server. Everyone had ample warning of registration restrictions.

The public poll will last 24 hours and be heavily moderated to ensure there is no cheating (multiple accounts, etc). User registration will likely be at least partially restricted.

"Likely be partially restricted" and "Killed off completely" are two different beasts.

Then again, none of this really matters if the following is true:

Since the poll is regarding this RPC's support of another server only those who actually use the RPc should be worried about it.

If this is solely an in club vote, like I suspected anyway, then you all have fun with it.

I'll be splitting time between Balmung and Behemoth anyway, so I don't really have a horse in this race 'cause I was planning on doing that regardless of the vote results. The registration freeze just seemed to needlessly cut off non-RPC members from having a say in an unofficial server, but seeing as that seems to be the intent anyway, carry on.

P.S. This isn't intended as hate against RPC being exclusionist or anything, I just think it's somewhat shortsighted for a website trying to promote a cohesive RP community. I still like the site, like what you guys do, and I plan to stick around to RP with you all. I'm just against the nature of this poll.

Best case scenario, Yoshi just squashes the whole thing and announces RP servers.

sephiroth-cosplay-gh.jpg

Gather around all you kids im going to sing you a song. 

~sings~ OHHHHHHH there was once a vote to pick a role playing sever and all went well so farrrrrrr but little they know conflict was ahead an all trolls came flocking to the theardddddddd!

I jest by the way <3

Best case scenario, Yoshi just squashes the whole thing and announces RP servers.

I doubt it, they got enough on their plate as is - I think naming a server the RP one isn't really what they intend to do, especially since sometimes it can be a good or bad thing. We'll see though but by P4, its decision time.

Dear Momoni

First of all, welcome!

I tried to PM this to you, but you have it disabled so meh.

You probably don't feel very welcome so far, but you didn't post in the welcome forum either so that probably didn't help.

Now, I'm going to be bluntly honest but you seem to be that way too so you can probably understand it. I mean, I was once called passionate because of posts like yours, too. o_O

I still have some PM's from that time in my inbox...

See, I don't think anyone is confusing you with someone else.

The fact is there is only two threads you posted in. This voting one and the Gilgamesh one. I checked before I started typing to make SURE I'm not mistaken.

Most times you posted, you made demands and seemed to believe people were being unfair and elitist.

Whether or not your concerns are valid, the way you presented them more or less invalidated them in other people's eyes and made you look demanding and agressive. The fact that those are your only posts sp far and there was no attempt by you to say hello and participatein the community otherwise than by arguing about the whole server thing hasn't been helping either.

What I'm trying to say is as far as first impressions go, yours got pretty messed up.

As for what you said about breeding elitism and dissonance... that might be true in some cases, but it's also perfectly natural. No matter what, people WILL split it, form exclusive little groups, gather in cliques... it's human nature. People in general and RPers in particular are social creatures but very exclusive ones as well. In nearly 10 years of online roleplaying and another 10 of pen&paper, there isn't a single instance where I didn't witness that (I remember in my school ther was like 10 AD&D players and we managed to form separate cliques cause we didn't like each other's playstyles...)

Anyways, I hope you stick around to see the RPC's good side, which should start to be more apparent once this voting business is over and things settle down a bit. o_O

I'm all for continuing this conversation if you like but please enable PM's and use that if you'd like, we should probably let this thread breathe a little.

Sorry Kylin, you said to move along, but I was trying to PM this and couldn't just give up after taking the time to type all this stuff. ^^;

Trickery

The way I see it, RPC can't be cohesive without attempting to get all members on the same server or servers and it can't do that without voting. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. ^^;

Please refer to - http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2227

Especially note Regarding A Non-Legacy RP Server. Everyone had ample warning of registration restrictions.

The public poll will last 24 hours and be heavily moderated to ensure there is no cheating (multiple accounts, etc). User registration will likely be at least partially restricted.

"Likely be partially restricted" and "Killed off completely" are two different beasts.

"At least partially restricted." Least means the smallest thing to happen. So realistically it's not a different beast because he left room for change. I apologize if I come off as abrasive. But this whole subject is getting tiring from a spectator and participant side.

Seriously guys...it's just a server name lol. Why is it such a huuuuge deal? Heck, SE may even end up changing the server names before launch. Or they may designate an official RP server still and nullify all of this. Just relax and go drink a soda or something. Where the heck are all the pro-Balthier people when ya need 'em?! All this drama over something that won't matter in a month is pointless. And the arguments about semantics is even more pointless. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Back on topic, it seems the threshold will be met. 27 votes have been cast for Gilgamesh (-2 cancelled votes = 25). 13 wildcard votes have been cast...plus the 25 equals 38. I think it's safe to say the 40 will likely be met with little problem before the timer runs out. And at this point, even if it doesn't, it would be unfair to deny support for a poll that close to begin with.

Of course, a flood of voters could still login I'm sure and the poll could go elsewhere. But it seems unlikely xD

Ugh I remember that, I was so effing annoyed that Lindblum was the thing then suddenly it wasn't because "OMG 4chan!" My guildies had to tell me to take a step back

I just wanna talk bout Balthier

(As an aside, I know people hate this legacy vs non-legacy debates but I think they need to happen so people can just get what they need to say out. Eventually if you let people speak and not try to shush them, they will shush themselves because they will have gotten it all out)

Seriously guys...it's just a server name lol. Why is it such a huuuuge deal?

You do remember last time, don't you?

And you still call THIS a huge deal? :P

Oh, the memories~

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=513

I still stand by my rant near the end of that thread that the majority of you were being tail-tucking buttmonkeys who simpered away from Lindblum due to overblown fears of anti-RP mobs running up and down the streets of Ul'dah looking for people to lynch if they so much as emoted.  Not that it matters too much what I say since I didn't stick with 1.xx beyond a point, try as I might.  At least this time you disabled vote-changing, Kylin. :P

Ribbing aside (and really, I'm just joshing around), I am curious. Do you have a contingency plan if the Beta Server names don't carry to release, much less to Open Beta/Early Access?  Another vote entirely?  Some other idea?

I still stand by my rant near the end of that thread that the majority of you were being tail-tucking buttmonkeys who simpered away from Lindblum due to overblown fears of anti-RP mobs running up and down the streets of Ul'dah looking for people to lynch if they so much as emoted.

True story...

I think it was the Goons, was it? Or some other group?

Dunno about contingency... I know in the unlikely case a server is labelled RP, it becomes the serveur de choix but I don't think we have other plans?

In the event that they change server names, we may have to hold another vote (though I really hope to not go through this again). I think we'll just have to cross that road when we get there.

Also lol @ the old poll I just linked still being open due to the forum transfer. I had to reclose it lmao

Thanks all who have voted so far remember the point of this is to establish a strong second choice of server. Even if your preferred server does not win please give your support to the newly chosen server alternate rp servers are only as strong as their communities and hidden private rp does not help a community at all to grow! We need to be visible and remember the big picture!

Caw.

So it seems that Behemoth is growing quite popular on the Beta forums.. it would suck if the Behemoth vote began to outweigh the Gilgamesh vote. Would probably cause quite the stirrup. 

Anyways, I'm a realist here so it's pretty clear Gilgamesh is going to win, and that's fine, better we all end up at the same place.

My question to everyone who voted for it though; why would you pick a server where people from Reddit are going to be migrating to? If any of you have ever RP'd before I'm sure you've had your run-ins with trolls who make fun of the RP community in general, and Reddit is known for their troll-like behavior on several occasions.

Caw.

So it seems that Behemoth is growing quite popular on the Beta forums.. it would suck if the Behemoth vote began to outweigh the Gilgamesh vote. Would probably cause quite the stirrup. 

Anyways, I'm a realist here so it's pretty clear Gilgamesh is going to win, and that's fine, better we all end up at the same place.

My question to everyone who voted for it though; why would you pick a server where people from Reddit are going to be migrating to? If any of you have ever RP'd before I'm sure you've had your run-ins with trolls who make fun of the RP community in general, and Reddit is known for their troll-like behavior on several occasions.

I can't speak for the others, but I know for me that it's a matter of familiarity at this point... We chose that server as our beta backup, we have a history with it now... Not to mention that, through playing on that server, I've already made quite a few friends through the last few months of beta testing. I've grown attached to it now. I'll still hop over to Balmung at launch, sure, but this gives me that much more reason to visit those chosen few friends over on G-mesh...

Plus, I think we're all capable of being the bigger people here. I think we can ignore a few trolls.

Don't know anything about the Reddit situation so I can't comment on that >.>

As for the the Behemoth issue...it's possible that it /could/ surpass Gilgamesh in votes over there. But it's something we're not going to fuss over. Many of the Behemoth crew have outright stated that they want nothing to do with the RPC many times now. So giving an events subforum to a group who won't even use it at all would just be silly >.>;

Edit: This is all of course assuming something doesn't drastically change in the poll before it ends...which seems highly unlikely at this point.

(As an aside, I know people hate this legacy vs non-legacy debates but I think they need to happen so people can just get what they need to say out. Eventually if you let people speak and not try to shush them, they will shush themselves because they will have gotten it all out)

I think the reason a lot of people are tired of it just comes down to the simple fact that the points have been made already, and no one likes the idea of the roleplaying community being further subdivided. One of the biggest things I love about FFXIV is the strength of this community, the same one that has produced a lot of awesome relationships, interplay, and character development over the course of the game's life.

The people who don't want to go to a Legacy server don't want to be burdened with an existing community. The people who are already on the Legacy server and really have no alternatives but to remain there don't want to lose out on new RP companions. It's a situation wherein there's no real way to win once one side becomes convinced that the community is entrenched and the other side becomes convinced that there's no reason to not want a Legacy server.

Me, I'm not happy about splitting the roleplaying community, but it's not my decision, and we've got the decided minority now. So if you really didn't want a Legacy server, I hope you have fun when the game goes live, and I'm sorry we won't get a chance to play together.

Don't know anything about the Reddit situation so I can't comment on that >.>

It's pretty straightforward. /r/ffxiv went through a similar process and elected Gilgamesh as their official server, so the majority of people from reddit are rolling there, and every time a new person shows up asking for a server recommendation they get pointed to Gilgamesh.

This reminds me of the SWTOR-RP main server vote.

See, SWTOR had a pre-launch Guild thing going on. Guilds would be arbitrarily assigned to random servers of the selected type (RP-PvE, RP-PvP, PvE, or PvP) but there was a trick to it. Each guild could select one allied guild and one enemy guild, so many guilds that were outside of the SWTOR-RP community made a chain of guilds linked by being allies or enemies as a way to select their own main server.

Meanwhile, and unaware, SWTOR-RP had all the guild leaders decide on how to select the community's main server and they decided it would be a vote.

So people voted... and it turned out that the winning server was different than the one the Chained RP Guilds all ended up on!

So naturally, some folks from the Chained RP Guilds came over and tried to "convince" the SWTOR-RP community to join their server and ignore their vote.

And naturally, the SWTOR-RP folks said no way, we voted, we'll go where people voted to go.

And then, as the imperials say sith happened. Drama! Hate mail! Threats and insults!

Oh the humanity!