Secondary RP Server (Closed)

Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?

• Adamantoise
    • Behemoth
    • Cactuar
    • Coeurl
    • Diabolos
    • Gilgamesh
    • Goblin
    • Leviathan
    • Malboro
    • Midgardsormr
    • Ultros
    • Cerberus (EU)
    • Moogle (EU)
    • Odin (EU)
    • Shiva (EU)
    • I have no preference so long as it is a non-Legacy server. (Wildcard)

That may not apply to anyone here, but let's suppose, some players...maybe they are 12 years of age, decided they wanted to do their own storyline about how the X-men came into the FF universe. Well, I wouldn't like it,

Shit, I would. I fucking love the X-Men.

Jokes aside, I think another reason not to add an RP tag would be because, as it is in my case, some roleplayers have non-roleplaying friends. I have a lot of RL friends who I like to play MMOs with. We've been playing together since high school. They don't even know I roleplay because I always have to juggle between two servers. (...actually that's not a bad thing, they're kind of assholes, they might tease me a little for this hobby.) Either way, it'd be much easier for me to enjoy the game if I could play OOC with them then hop on over to Ul'dah in time for an IC meeting with my linkshell before I run IC dungeons.

Overall, it isn't a big deal either way, and honestly I would prefer an official RP server, but I can see both sides of the argument and I'm prepared to deal with an unofficial one.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may not apply to anyone here, but let's suppose, some players...maybe they are 12 years of age, decided they wanted to do their own storyline about how the X-men came into the FF universe. Well, I wouldn't like it,

Shit, I would. I fucking love the X-Men.

Well, I like X-Men well enough and I do like the occasional cross-over, but I tend to be very "Meat and Potatoes" with this kind of thing: I eat my meat separately, swallow, and then work on the potatoes (although I do alternate bites but usually leave the taste buds to savor one item or the other, not both at once).

:P

Well, I like X-Men well enough and I do like the occasional cross-over, but I tend to be very "Meat and Potatoes" with this kind of thing: I eat my meat separately, swallow, and then work on the potatoes (although I do alternate bites but usually leave the taste buds to savor one item or the other, not both at once).

SPOILERS: The Warriors of Light were the X-Men the whole time and the Echo is a mutation. 

Bahamut shows up, ominous music starts playing, then it's completely cut off by this: 

It shocks everyone. Turns out squenix was bought out by disney-marvel and no one told anyone. Greatest plot twist in the history of all video games. RPers and casual players alike fall out of their seats in utter shock as the X-Men theme blares through their speakers and Cyclops is shooting eye lasers at Bahamut as Wolverine is fighting Garleans. Everyone was wrong except that twelve year old. Then the game goes down forever.

Best ending in the history of gaming.

I do agree with both points mentioned by Black. It's really a catch-22... but in the end, if RPers don't know where to go to find the highest concentration of RP... we all lose out.

Yeah, tacking "-RP" at the end of a server will draw in some griefers with nothing better to do, or those hardcore PvE'ers that think "RP server = easy Server Firsts"... or "mature community". Hey, I have no problem with PvE/PvP'ers that just want a mature community coming to a RP server. They do their thing, let us do our thing, maybe they discover the coolness that is RP... maybe they just get their Server Firsts, smack eachother in battlegrounds and happily dungeon their days/nights away. Whatever... players like that make it easy to find a decent PuG when I'm wanting to just smack a Boss in a dungeon.

And those griefers? if you don't feed them, they typically get bored and go away.

/ignore... if all else fails for a time.

Would I prefer a server of more RPers than straight PvE/PvPers? Of course. But as long as they're respectful, I have no issue.

If they are NOT, I'd want a server that would be enforced to get rid of the griefers. Now, I'm not talking about report and ban some guy with some irritating, but benign name (Clark Kent)... I'm talking tools like (PwNJ00 Now or xxxSexualHealingxxx... or worse). I'm talking support via /logs of the griefing or offensive behavior (teabagging, "RP" rapes of corpses, etc). Yes, that takes up man-hours to police and... I hate that. I wish there could be a program that would weed through the crap complaints and really hit the valid ones.

One VERY simple solution is: Before joining a RP designated server, you are presented with an info box that you must read/click (like the NDA) and be held to those rules. Something like "This is a RP designated server. Naming and behavior rules are in effect and will be enforced. Repeat offenders to the rules (stated below) will be removed from the server and deposited into the next available low pop server and your account flagged. If you agree to these rules (listed), click Yes"

Sure some folks would test the rules, but if they are upheld in the beginning... should make for easier time later as it will become common knowledge that "SE enforces the rules."

Something like this would dissuade griefers in 3 ways: one- the initial warning, two- the removal to a LOW pop server (aka less folks to connect with and annoy... and PvP/PvE with)... and three inability to move to another server of their liking (or return to the RP server under another name w/o paying the $$$ to do so).

Word gets around if standards are stuck with, and ultimately creates less work (and less forum flaming).

Now... the above would not pertain to RP preferences. As long as they aren't offensive, the other stuff can just be... dealt with. And it wouldn't necessarily negate the chatting about "the Game last night" or other RL things in spacial...or dragging Jedi, WoD, X-Men or whatever into FF... which is grating... but also, benign. A polite request to take it to /whisper or /group and to respect the RP going on should work if the players KNOW they rolled on a RP server. Any that roll should respect RPing going on and try to get along.

RP screw ups happen- even to vets. I've accidentally fell into a Godmod or Meta before. If everyone is honest... we all have. Call some guy by his name thinking you'd met him IC- and you hadn't. Refer to something in his/her bio that I wouldn't necessarily know IC yet... etc. Also... no room for /report.

Its only when we get too crazy with the /report buttons that we get labeled as "RP nazis, elitists,.." and so on.

Wow... this ended up being longer than I thought. haha Black's comments just kinda opened the floodgates and, I'm afraid, shifted me off-topic from the OP.

:blush:

Still... that is the best kind of RP environment we could hope for right now.

Its not 'special treatment'... just respectful treatment.

RPers pay money just as much as straight PvP & PvEers... often MORE money b/c we like those fluff items and pretty clothes and pets. LOL AND we stick around longer (more $$) if we feel the love.

Dunno why Devs don't see this. Guess its just that we're still 'the minority'...

Love it Uther! :lol:

... tho I think Storm might need to cool off Bahamut first. Yanno fire and all that...

Freeze, then shatter with laser. Let Wolvie get a few swipes in and Jubilee can make fireworks to celebrate.

:love: X-men... yeah, I said it. :P

Now, I'm not talking about report and ban some guy with some irritating, but benign name (Clark Kent)... 

Yes! More super heroes in Final Fantasy!

Right when I thought the X-Men vs. Bahamut scenario couldn't get any better!

Sorry, it's late, and I really like making up ridiculous situations that would never happen.

... tho I think Storm might need to cool off Bahamut first. Yanno fire and all that...

Freeze, then shatter with laser. Let Wolvie get a few swipes in and Jubilee can make fireworks to celebrate.

Didn't even see this. You're my hero.

SPOILERS: The Warriors of Light were the X-Men the whole time and the Echo is a mutation. 

Bahamut shows up, ominous music starts playing, then it's completely cut off by this: 

It shocks everyone. Turns out squenix was bought out by disney-marvel and no one told anyone. Greatest plot twist in the history of all video games. RPers and casual players alike fall out of their seats in utter shock as the X-Men theme blares through their speakers and Cyclops is shooting eye lasers at Bahamut as Wolverine is fighting Garleans. Everyone was wrong except that twelve year old. Then the game goes down forever.

Best ending in the history of gaming.

This is both the best and worst thing I've read in a while. LOL congrats Uther.

Zomg a Renaise posting!

In other news...

The whole closing th door to new registrers things?

It might have sent the wrong message, but it also prevented problems. We got at least one person who made an account here, then talked more or less agaisnt the RPC on the beta forum.

I know of one, but we might have avoided more... Still, probably not enough to change the results of the vote as Gil has won by far, even counting the Beta poll and even without the Wildcard votes...

But let's try to see both sides of that coin.

It wans't an entirely good decision, but not certainly not an entirely bad one either.

Besides, messages are what people want to perceive them to be more often than what the sender intends them to be...

Now, I'm not talking about report and ban some guy with some irritating, but benign name (Clark Kent)... 

Yes! More super heroes in Final Fantasy!

Right when I thought the X-Men vs. Bahamut scenario couldn't get any better!

Sorry, it's late, and I really like making up ridiculous situations that would never happen.

Didn't even see this. You're my hero.

*8-)* justice league lol

Again, I see your points and agree: Having an RP label to the server would be grand and draw interested folks to it, but on the same token, one has to be cognizant that RPers also have a bad reputation of elitism among a segment of general players. In fact, this may be the root of the reason we are seeing on the Beta Forums of some people not liking the concept. From a casual/PvP-lover perspective, it show preference to one segment but not another. So, why not make server labels for them?

We should not have to feel like we need to hide from other players. It's ridiculous. Those who dislike roleplayers will dislike roleplayers, and there's naught to be done for it save laugh in their faces and keep on roleplaying.

The name thing you kind of blew out of proportion, as it was only one point out of many that I made (and not, I think, the most compelling). An RP tag would also allow GMs to discipline those who would grief roleplayers, as a side note however.

And if no rp server is named? What will you do then?

What kind of a question is that? Obviously I will still roleplay. An RP tag on the server, however, would do wonders to help maintain a visible community for new players and give us and any GMs the backing needed to defend ourselves from griefers.

Again, I see your points and agree: Having an RP label to the server would be grand and draw interested folks to it, but on the same token, one has to be cognizant that RPers also have a bad reputation of elitism among a segment of general players. In fact, this may be the root of the reason we are seeing on the Beta Forums of some people not liking the concept. From a casual/PvP-lover perspective, it show preference to one segment but not another. So, why not make server labels for them?

We should not have to feel like we need to hide from other players. It's ridiculous. Those who dislike roleplayers will dislike roleplayers, and there's naught to be done for it save laugh in their faces and keep on roleplaying.

The name thing you kind of blew out of proportion, as it was only one point out of many that I made (and not, I think, the most compelling). An RP tag would also allow GMs to discipline those who would grief roleplayers, as a side note however.

Again, just trying to let you see both sides of this. I hope that you got my other example: Players who didn't even consider Roleplayers or who looked at unfavorable stereotypes/tropes and made a decision based on that. Sure, there are those that do dislike roleplayers "just because..." but I have seen other players turn against RPers because of how some past RPers treated them. One example was names, but there are other examples (like the X-Men-in-my-Fantasy thing I also alluded to).

I don't think you are lumping all players into one category and "laughing" at them, at least I hope not. But maybe my style is different. I am more patient and try to "win" over the person...or at least make them walk away with an understanding and hopefully douse the flame of that particular person/troll.

I don't think you are seeing my point and looking at things on the other side. Again, I wouldn't mind the label but GMs disciplining is not an exact science and neither is the basis of people filing reports against a person that may have to be investigated.

Actually, my main point is this : Not every RPer is going to agree with the way someone else RPs. It may be a name or it may be their theme (X-Men) or just something else that the viewer doesn't agree with. These type of people have been reported on in past MMOs and when they are for relatively benign reasons, they get angry and turn on the RP community, in most cases, calling them "Elitist".

I feel that understanding is a two-way street. It may be a harder road to travel, but I get more reward out of it in the long-run. I have seen the dark-side of both communities.

Also, GM-enforcement would require staff to look over it. Maybe they could or maybe new people would have to be hired. This is one of the big reasons, among many, I do not see so many "RP" labelled servers.

Again, I know some MMOs do label, but given past resistance of S-E, who seem to be talking about it for this length of period of time...I dunno... I have to ask, "What is the hold-up? What is the concern on their part to not slap on a RP label, especially since it's gone on for this long?" I know Kylun and others are trying to convince them, but others in the company need convincing. Their may be reasons you do not see. In fact, stepping-back, I would say my whole response(s) to you were triggered by your comment of, "It's 2013. That shit is kind of basic." because it may not be basic. I know RPers are a segment of the player population, but how do they stack up against casuals? Heck, from all the server sign-ups that have opened/closed, I see S-E is a bit more concerned with balancing their population evenly across all servers: You can see that some servers are/have been closed to new players. They may be thinking one server would be ill-proportioned population-wise while their other servers are free and empty but no one is joining.

That may beS-E's real concern atm. Simple spreading out of the player population, as could be the concern of any MMO company trying to fill all their servers with enough players. From that end, it seems like a good reason and "basic".

Maybe if this was the reason or we understood it more, one could convince S-E to be more forthcoming with a RP label?

I guess it's technically lucky that I only made it to 20 or so before the game was taken down... But my issue is... I don't really want to play on a legacy server.... Think about if you're a new player rolling for the first time, no experience with the game whatsoever.... You're more likely to avoid a server stamped with a huge LEGACY tag, right? I think the whole "this server is for legacy people" thing is so inconducive for bringing in new players... You're basically stuck with all the same people until transfers open at six months and then the legacy servers merge and close.

I just don't know what I want to do :(

I guess it's technically lucky that I only made it to 20 or so before the game was taken down... But my issue is... I don't really want to play on a legacy server.... Think about if you're a new player rolling for the first time, no experience with the game whatsoever.... You're more likely to avoid a server stamped with a huge LEGACY tag, right? I think the whole "this server is for legacy people" thing is so inconducive for bringing in new players... You're basically stuck with all the same people until transfers open at six months and then the legacy servers merge and close.

I'm new to the game and I intend to roll on Balmung. I don't see why everyone is so turned off by legacy. It doesn't bring the image that you presented to my mind. But to each his own I suppose.

I'm new to the game and I intend to roll on Balmung. I don't see why everyone is so turned off by legacy. It doesn't bring the image that you presented to my mind. But to each his own I suppose.

Sure, but you're also HERE, you know? So you've been reading and you see what's going on, and you KNOW everyone is over on Balmung. I just feel like new players are gonna be turned off by the Legacy tag, I dunno. People are dumb, man.

For now, I think whether or not the "Legacy" tag will attract or repel new roleplayers remains to be seen. There isn't too much of a point in speculating about it until it happens, especially considering that there are so many other factors that will come into play.

For now it's probably best to just wait and see what, if anything, happens.

Sure, but you're also HERE, you know? So you've been reading and you see what's going on, and you KNOW everyone is over on Balmung. I just feel like new players are gonna be turned off by the Legacy tag, I dunno. People are dumb, man.

I think you'd be surprised. New players will filter to all servers, some more than others. It's not a huge deal. I find it unlikely that Legacy servers as a whole won't get enough new blood because of an arbitrary designation.

Cast them dice and cross the Rubicon already ^ ^