Secondary RP Server (Closed)

Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?

• Adamantoise
    • Behemoth
    • Cactuar
    • Coeurl
    • Diabolos
    • Gilgamesh
    • Goblin
    • Leviathan
    • Malboro
    • Midgardsormr
    • Ultros
    • Cerberus (EU)
    • Moogle (EU)
    • Odin (EU)
    • Shiva (EU)
    • I have no preference so long as it is a non-Legacy server. (Wildcard)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poll is now closed. Congratulations to Gilgamesh! *tosses confetti*

We want to reiterate that there are some RPers who are still intent on going to other servers. This if fine, and those RPers are still welcome to post on these forums (and advertise linkshells in the Linkshell Hall as always). Balmung and Gilgamesh are merely the places those in the RPC will find RP in the most abundance.

Congrats again Gilgamung!

*Dances* and dumps Gatorade on everyone

Alright I'll put up the event thread soon once the subforum is done

I'd like to also get to know those who will be rping on Gilgamesh and lets start getting those Free Companies together everyone!

Many of the Behemoth crew have outright stated that they want nothing to do with the RPC many times now.

I think you're exaggerating that a bit. I know one member of my Free Company who seemed to have bad blood with the RPC and was vocal against it, but we've already talked to him about it. I know the one voice in dissension is always given more weight than many voices in assent, but I really don't think there are enough dissenters to constitute "many" by any means. Then again, I haven't been to the Beta forums for a bit due to real life escapades, so there could've been a random breakout of RPC hate originating from Behemoth for all I know, in which case, just disregard this as being misinformed.

The "Anti-RP trolls" are grossly exaggerated this way, too. There was one main troll (that ended up getting suspended for those forum posts, actually) and a few that jumped on the train just for the hell of it. Considering it was the Beta forums where the vast majority of people don't RP or understand it, painting a giant red target on your back by posting about RP and ONLY attracting a few trolls seems pretty good to me. Gilgamesh wasn't getting a lot of flak 'cause the majority of conversation about it was constrained to an RP forum where RPers specifically gather.

In the big scheme of things, though, it doesn't really matter. Gilgamesh was pretty much destined to be the non-Legacy RP server for RPC and I'd accepted that. I just think the closed registration sent the wrong message and slammed the door on potential new members. I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to "give a forum section" to people who aren't signed up on RPC, but that didn't seem to take account those that WOULD sign up for RPC if the server they were involved with was represented on this site. I admit those are hypothetical scenarios, though, as there very well could've been zero new registrations from the beta forums due to their preferred server being chosen. 

Main point is, if those outside of the RPC had been allowed to have a voice in the matter, they'd have probably accepted the whole thing even if the results hadn't gone their way, but since you took away their voice instead, it seems like it just put them up in arms unnecessarily and left a sour taste in their mouth, even if it's plain to see their choice wouldn't have won anyway.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't have a horse in this race. I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

Personally, I'm still trying to convince my Free Company to go to Balmung. X.x

Anyways, congrats Gilgamesh! 

We still cool, right? Right? O.o;

In the event that they change server names, we may have to hold another vote (though I really hope to not go through this again). I think we'll just have to cross that road when we get there.

What I've seen in other RP communities that weren't sure if server names were changing is that they'd announce the unofficial Beta server, then just say something like:

"In the event of a server rename, the unofficial RP server will be the first NA server that starts with the letter B moving up." Or something to that effect.

So, if you make a rule like that, that put Balthier at the top of the queue in case of server renames! >.>

Then again, if the don't make a Balthier server you might get stuck on something like "Bartz" server.

I just think the closed registration sent the wrong message and slammed the door on potential new members. I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to "give a forum section" to people who aren't signed up on RPC, but you didn't seem to take account those that WOULD sign up for RPC if the server they were involved with was represented on this site.

Or folk who didn't yet know about the RPC and/or hadn't yet registered but fully intend to be a part of the RPC community... such as my fiance. @.@

Decided to close the poll on the Beta forum as well. Behemoth and Gilgamesh have similar population numbers (quite a few people on Behemoth did not vote on the poll on this website), so I believe it's best to include them when recommending a server to any new players who don't want to roll on a Legacy server.

[align=center]Roleplay Server Listing

RPC's Legacy Server: Balmung

RPC's Non-Legacy Server: Gilgamesh

Beta Forum Community Non-Legacy Server: Behemoth[/align]

Decided to close the poll on the Beta forum as well. Behemoth and Gilgamesh have similar population numbers (quite a few people on Behemoth did not vote on the poll on this website), so I believe it's best to include them when recommending a server to any new players who don't want to roll on a Legacy server.

I will be recommending Balmung as the unofficial RP server and Gilgamesh as an alternate server for those who do not want to play on a legacy server.

Now that the voting is over, would it be in our best interest to start luring people onto these forums?

This is assuming that registration's opened back up to the public.

I'd love to get some interested RP'ers over onto these boards from other sites/communities.

Members on Behemoth more or less explicitly stated that they chose Behemoth in order to specifically be separate from the RPC because we are 'elitist' and 'trying to dictate' where the RP community goes, claiming that we've been trying to get them to leave Behemoth (when no such thing happened). So I figure we should just give them what they want and remain separate.

Secondly, when you factor in the numbers and how the wildcard votes both here and on the beta forums would've factored in, you would've gotten...

Gilgamesh: 48 (beta and RPC combined votes) + 13 RPC wildcard votes = 61

Behemoth: 32 (beta and RPC combined votes) + 1 beta forum wildcard vote = 33

Which gives Gilgamesh nearly double the support and per the site rules and what we said we would do with the site, wouldn't lead to the creation of a subforum.

This isn't to say that Behemoth roleplayers have no place on the RPC--they absolutely can and could make a linkshell here and advertise for Behemoth (or Fate's Edge, the linkshell they have there), if they decide they would like to be a part of the RPC. This just seems unlikely to me given the feelings they've expressed about us.

Grats Gilgamesh!

*still hoping all this is moot and there will be a dedicated non-Legacy RP server*

My LS's concern is that Balamung will fill up before we all get in... so worst case scenario, I want to go where there will still be a very strong RP showing... aka SE dedicated RP server (with anti-griefing and naming rules, please... I've had enough of 'creative' names in my derping about in NW to last me a lifetime).

LOL

I think it's worth pointing out that only 72 people voted, and the RPC has over 1,000 members.  Even if only a third of that number checks the forums from time to time, you're still going to see roughly 4-5x more Rp'ers on Balmung that Gilgamesh.  I don't mean this as a disparagement against the duly elected alternate server, just an observation.

My LS's concern is that Balamung will fill up before we all get in...

Last time the game was released (lawl) Besaid(oldBalmung), the original server we picked, DID fill up, BUT! It only took a few days for it to open again after only 2 days. Server settling is a thing that just happens, you know? IF Balmung does fill up, I wouldn't think it would take to long to open again. I was definitely locked out for a couple days back then, myself, but it was worth the wait to dink around on another server and join Besaid later :)

Also, this:

This isn't to say that Behemoth roleplayers have no place on the RPC--they absolutely can and could make a linkshell here and advertise for Behemoth (or Fate's Edge' date=' the linkshell they have there), if they decide they would like to be a part of the RPC.[/quote']

As far as I am currently aware the RPC does plan to support ALL servers; ie. when asked "Where da RP at?" we will mention all servers that exist to our knowledge, UNLESS asked not to. I'm not sure how we plan to implement this at this point, but we'll come to it. As stated before, any statement like this will include the fact that our majority of users is on Balmung. Subsequent to this, Gilgamesh will be mentioned as the secondary choice for RPC users and following this, a list of links to the hubs other servers groups have chosen to make, those on Hyperion, Behemoth, etc. I should hope, in the spirit of fostering RP fun for everyone, regardless of server, that other hubs might consider linking to our website as well.

This just seems unlikely to me given the feelings they've expressed about us.

I should hope, in the spirit of fostering RP fun for everyone, regardless of server, that other hubs might consider linking to our website as well.

Wait, what's our beef with behemoth? How is server beef even a thing?

I should hope, in the spirit of fostering RP fun for everyone, regardless of server, that other hubs might consider linking to our website as well.

I wish I knew, actually, I feel like I missed something.

I was actually just getting at the first part of the paragraph, that all servers are welcome and referred to as valid places to RP here. :) Edited!

I was actually just getting at the first part of the paragraph, that all servers are welcome and referred to as valid places to RP here. :) Edited!

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean it to seem like you were taking jabs at another server. I just picked up from what you and Blade said that there might be some folks out their who harbor some animosity toward us. I was completely unaware of that.

In the event that they change server names, we may have to hold another vote (though I really hope to not go through this again). I think we'll just have to cross that road when we get there.

What I've seen in other RP communities that weren't sure if server names were changing is that they'd announce the unofficial Beta server, then just say something like:

"In the event of a server rename, the unofficial RP server will be the first NA server that starts with the letter B moving up." Or something to that effect.

So, if you make a rule like that, that put Balthier at the top of the queue in case of server renames! >.>

Then again, if the don't make a Balthier server you might get stuck on something like "Bartz" server.

I'd be real careful about assuming that.

I was part of the drive to organize an unofficial server when DCUO launched. I was on a pretty popular site and there is an old rule that many don't seem to know (maybe younger generations) and that general rule was that the unofficial RP server of any game would start with the last letter alphabetically. In CoH's case, this tuned out to be "Virtue".

The reason for this was that servers tend to be alphabetically listed by default, unless you click an option to list them by some other criteria, like population. Most "newbies" and especially "Trolls" would just happen to choose the first shown on the list that has a cool name. While some people remembered that general rule, many have forgotten.

I was also thinking that if I had no previous Legacy character but wanted to RP, I would remember "Besaid" and think to myself, "Well, there is no Besaid server, but it must be one starting with B." Actually, for that reason, I would think "Behemoth" would be the logical choice. I even created an alt on Behemoth because I thought this.

So there is that. Behemoth may end up with many players initially, if they think like me. Again, this tends to even out sooner or later, either because people decide to migrate, server mergers, or other reasons.

I'm just gonna sit here and hope for an actual RP-tagged server.

It's 2013. That shit is kind of basic.

You would think, but it was pretty "basic" when v1.0 launch. It was also "basic" for other MMOs that decided not to make such labels.

There might be social reasons they do not do it; I remember on WoW, when one PVP server went down, many of those folks headed over to a popular RP server I was on and started spamming chat-channels "for fun". It could just be they don't want to create an obvious target that brings out folks that just want to ruin other people's online experience.

Conversely, I have also played on PvE servers (Beta and Launch) and have heard some of the chatter on that end regarding RPers: There are still segments that have a "bad view" or "bad taste" toward RP because of either exaggerated rumors of running into RPers who tried to enforce their will upon others. Things like, names they didn't like or what-have-you. So these players were actively avoiding RP. Now, that point could work : There would be a label on the server and they could avoid it, but again...you get the same problem of "painting a target" on the server.

I personally do not mind an RP-label, but it could be that management is just trying to not label such servers for the benefit of the players that have decided to play on such servers.

:bomb:

I personally do not mind an RP-label, but it could be that management is just trying to not label such servers for the benefit of the players that have decided to play on such servers.

They would be making a big mistake. Not labeling the server doesn't benefit roleplayers in any way. It makes it difficult for new players to find the RP communities. It makes it near impossible to enforce any kind of RP-friendly rules (such as naming conventions). And it marginalizes an entire group of people as not worthy of having their own server, when roleplayers are often some of the most dedicated players in an MMO. This makes it extremely difficult for devs to judge the activity of roleplayers in their game, which could have impacts on development time spent on RP-related content (such as a wardrobe function).

Any MMO that doesn't have an RP-tagged server is doing a wonderful and loyal playerbase a massive disservice.

They would be making a big mistake. Not labeling the server doesn't benefit roleplayers in any way. It makes it difficult for new players to find the RP communities. It makes it near impossible to enforce any kind of RP-friendly rules (such as naming conventions). And it marginalizes an entire group of people as not worthy of having their own server, when roleplayers are often some of the most dedicated players in an MMO. This makes it extremely difficult for devs to judge the activity of roleplayers in their game, which could have impacts on development time spent on RP-related content (such as a wardrobe function).

Any MMO that doesn't have an RP-tagged server is doing a wonderful and loyal playerbase a massive disservice.

I do generally agree, but you have to look at this from many ends, RPers AND the common/casual player. There are RP servers that claim they have naming enforcement, but such enforcement is sporadic or not consistent.

Also, it boils down to a matter of different perspective with names. I have seen people name themselves something totally benign, but I've seen Roleplayers take them to task on their chosen name, because it does not fit their personal view of how the virtual world should be.

As per my PvE example earlier, these people were complaining that RPers can be "elitist". That may not apply to anyone here, but let's suppose, some players...maybe they are 12 years of age, decided they wanted to do their own storyline about how the X-men came into the FF universe. Well, I wouldn't like it, but these folks ARE roleplaying, even if I don't agree with their roleplay. I tend to leave them alone or be friendly enough if they ask for help, but I have seen some people take them to task. I believe such folks can and should be nurtured with patience and understanding, but some don't do it.

Again, I have seen some examples of RPers dictating terms to these "casual players". As I agree RPers have seen this from some groups, the opposite has happened, too. I am generally a fan of, "Live and Let Live". In some ways, certain people marginalize these casual players and create a bad image, especially if they log in next time and see they were reported and the reason for it.

It is hard to read the intent of folks sometimes, even those with bad names. I've seen some folks who had bad names bowled over by the community, they rename their character and join in...Of course, there is the opposite, too.

Again, I see your points and agree: Having an RP label to the server would be grand and draw interested folks to it, but on the same token, one has to be cognizant that RPers also have a bad reputation of elitism among a segment of general players. In fact, this may be the root of the reason we are seeing on the Beta Forums of some people not liking the concept. From a casual/PvP-lover perspective, it show preference to one segment but not another. So, why not make server labels for them?

Maybe it divides the player base? Heck, really, beyond Legacy servers, there is no real current difference in rules-set (code-wise) between servers. They are basically all the same. Perhaps more GM enforcement is needed, but remember, that is segmenting the work-staff of S-E to look at one server. Sometimes this naturally happens and no harm/no foul...but outside this, you may have grumblings from other players not on the RP server. They may not like certain names either or have a bug affecting them. In some ways, they may just point and say this proves RPers get too much attention and they don't.

:bomb:

As i see it, it doesen't really need to be a RP tag, it would be super but if SE don't feel like tagging stuff they can atleast tag something along the lines that LOTRO have on some servers. Think it is RE, Ropleplaying encouraged. Or atleast perhaps a tag that marks that there are roleplayers on the server rather than a server for only roleplaying.

-Xeon