Secondary RP Server (Closed)

Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which server do you want named the RPC's secondary RP server?

• Adamantoise
    • Behemoth
    • Cactuar
    • Coeurl
    • Diabolos
    • Gilgamesh
    • Goblin
    • Leviathan
    • Malboro
    • Midgardsormr
    • Ultros
    • Cerberus (EU)
    • Moogle (EU)
    • Odin (EU)
    • Shiva (EU)
    • I have no preference so long as it is a non-Legacy server. (Wildcard)

So I tried to be nice and welcoming but perhaps being blunt  is what is needed to make things clear.

I see people coming here, making a few agressive posts and passing judgements without even trying to be friendly and say hello.

If I join a comunity, I come in with a friendly smile and try to fit in, not with weapons in hand demanding people bend over for me.

Please folks, for the love of Moogles everywhere, TRY to understand that you're joining a COMMUNITY, and act like such.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tried to be nice and welcoming but perhaps being blunt  is what is needed to make things clear.

I see people coming here, making a few agressive posts and passing judgements without even trying to be friendly and say hello.

If I join a comunity, I come in with a friendly smile and try to fit in, not with weapons in hand demanding people bend over for me.

Please folks, for the love of Moogles everywhere, TRY to understand that you're joining a COMMUNITY, and act like such.

I've been seeing both arguments, waiting to see where the chips fall. I think the big problem is fear. It's strong, folks don't want to be abandoned or shunned for going to a different server at the same time, there is fear of new people on an old server. Either way, I  think there is so much limited information I think its got everyone frustrated. I don't think anyone should be hostile to each other, if that goes on, then what's the real point of a community? I think the whole situation is extremely frustrating for everyone to be honest. How we deal with it is another.

Every server will have its bad apples, can't avoid them in an MMO really.

The only reason I do not want to be a part of the cool-kids-Balmung gang, is simply due to the fact that it is a Legacy server.

I like the idea of ARR being a brand new experience to everyone around me. I like the idea of everyone starting off on even foot and watching the server grow and evolve as time goes on. I like the idea of the economy flourishing from the ground up and server first achievements of any and all kinds being done by people I know were not given the 'headstart' the Legacy gang did.

That's just me though, as someone who avoided the trainwreck that was 1.0.

I like to think of it as a brand new game, and just feel more at ease starting on a server that suggests the same.

I know Legacy servers have benefits, but it's just not for me, I guess. :D

That's why I was hoping for a solid non-Legacy alternative for roleplaying.

Just as a note, even the non-legacy servers will have people with characters built up from Phase 4 and the pre-order early access.

I understand the sentiment, but just a note that new servers will likely have unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. A note on Achivemnts, it was my understanding that most would be re-worked for 2.0 anyways, so even on Legacy servers there will be a rush to get them. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

I myself will have a Balmung and then one on what ever server my non-RP friends decide to roll on as well.

Either way, best of luck in Eorzea

Edit: for calrity

Right.  The real purpose of this vote is determining whether there are enough people to make having a second unofficial server worthwhile, since the vast majority of folks are going to Balmung, including people on Gilgamesh right now.  And that's a lot of cool people.  Also me.

My issue is - none of what anyone else is saying(moderators included) is what the admin is saying. He's made a clear stance that this is a Balmung centric site, and that anybody that disagrees can leave. No suggestions, no opinions, nothing. Discontent is met with a door and that's not fair.

I don't have hopes for the community under that leadership, so I'll be sticking with Gilgamesh despite people leaving the server eventually.

You've been here one day and you're already trying to call out leadership. 

Of course this is a Balmung centric site. The leadership didn't say "we play on Balmung, so everyone has to play on Balmung!" There just happens to be a significant RP population on that server. If you want to RP somewhere else, no one will stop you, but don't be surprised if no one joins you either.

I've had my fair share of complaints with some of the policies and tendencies of this site, but all-in-all they're doing their best, and whenever I complain I do so from a reasonable and educated standpoint. I didn't show up Day 1 and say we need new leadership because there are too many people who want to play together or whatever the hell you're rambling about. 

NO ONE has ever said that you have to play on Balmung. You're looking for enemies where there aren't any. I've read your posts on this thread and the Gilgamesh thread, and it's pretty irritating how obvious it is that you're looking to pick a fight.

I never read anywhere that anyone who doesn't want to play on Balmung has to leave. You need to re-read what Kylin wrote. He said if you don't like the site you can start your own. He also admitted that most of the RP community plays on Balmung, and that's why it's the site's primary focus. That's it. Logically, if everyone was being forced to play on Balmung, why would there be a poll gauging interest of people who specifically do not want to play on Balmung?

What are you talking about?

Sorry for the hostility, but this is really making me mad.

The only reason I do not want to be a part of the cool-kids-Balmung gang, is simply due to the fact that it is a Legacy server.

I like the idea of ARR being a brand new experience to everyone around me. I like the idea of everyone starting off on even foot and watching the server grow and evolve as time goes on. I like the idea of the economy flourishing from the ground up and server first achievements of any and all kinds being done by people I know were not given the 'headstart' the Legacy gang did.

I like to think of it as a brand new game, and just feel more at ease starting on a server that suggests the same.

Just as a note, even the non-legacy servers will have people with characters built up from Phase 4 and the pre-order early access.

I understand the sentiment, but just a cautionary note that new servers have  unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

I myself will have a Balmung and then one on what ever server my non-RP friends decide to roll on as well.

That my friend is a beautiful point as well. And if anyone is really freaking out about 'economy' and housing.

1) Alot of new people -- Say for example some of my folks on Balmung, we will be all starting from scratch, working together as a 'team' to ascertain numerous goals, including getting crafting set up for folks. So as far as I'm concerned, new or old server - we're still doing the exact same thing and welcoming new folks and forging friendships.

2) Housing is going to be so expensive, NO -one-- will afford the best right off the bat and even then, it is months and months away.

3) Economy will balance itself, you know how I used to balance the market? Reasonable prices in massive bulk, which in turn brought prices in an in game economy more realistic. I did it in WoW, it was hard but hey it can happen.

Yeah, it's getting kinda tiring to constantly be viewed as an elitist for having played 1.0. I for one didn't even play 1.0 for that long. I'm practically as new as the next guy, but I'd still like to keep the community as tight-knit as possible. As "pie in the sky" as that seems to be. Yet so many seem to want to go their own way and yell at us while they do it because we want to play together.

When the game comes out (finally) I'll play with whomever is around, new or old as it doesn't matter to me.

Right.  The real purpose of this vote is determining whether there are enough people to make having a second unofficial server worthwhile, since the vast majority of folks are going to Balmung, including people on Gilgamesh right now.  And that's a lot of cool people.  Also me.

My issue is - none of what anyone else is saying(moderators included) is what the admin is saying. He's made a clear stance that this is a Balmung centric site, and that anybody that disagrees can leave. No suggestions, no opinions, nothing. Discontent is met with a door and that's not fair.

I don't have hopes for the community under that leadership, so I'll be sticking with Gilgamesh despite people leaving the server eventually.

You've been here one day and you're already trying to call out leadership. 

Of course this is a Balmung centric site. The leadership didn't say "we play on Balmung, so everyone has to play on Balmung!" There just happens to be a significant RP population on that server. If you want to RP somewhere else, no one will stop you, but don't be surprised if no one joins you either.

I've had my fair share of complaints with some of the policies and tendencies of this site, but all-in-all they're doing their best, and whenever I complain I do so from a reasonable and educated standpoint. I didn't show up Day 1 and say we need new leadership because there are too many people who want to play together or whatever the hell you're rambling about. 

NO ONE has ever said that you have to play on Balmung. You're looking for enemies where there aren't any. I've read your posts on this thread and the Gilgamesh thread, and it's pretty irritating how obvious it is that you're looking to pick a fight.

I never read anywhere that anyone who doesn't want to play on Balmung has to leave. You need to re-read what Kylin wrote. He said if you don't like the site you can start your own. He also admitted that most of the RP community plays on Balmung, and that's why it's the site's primary focus. That's it. Logically, if everyone was being forced to play on Balmung, why would there be a poll gauging interest of people who specifically do not want to play on Balmung?

What are you talking about?

Sorry for the hostility, but this is really making me mad.

Don't get upset about it, no sense in it.  Most everyone here undestands the purpose of the poll and the site in general.  One pot stirrer shouldn't be cause for any worrying or anything of the sort.

I've only been here a week or so but can say without any hesitation.  Everytime I had a question, it was answered promptly.  Everytime I had a doubt, it was covered with compassion and explanation so as to soothe me thru it.  When I wondered if I was going to be able to fit it, I was assailed by invites to join peoples linkshells and RP groups.

IF, Momoni, you have an issue with a community site that, to me, seems full of interested, compassionate, informed and otherwise exceptionally helpful individuals.  Then perhaps you do in fact, need to go start your own site that seeks whatever it is you're not finding here.

I understand the sentiment, but just a cautionary note that new servers have  unstable economies (not that thats always a bad thing) as well as rocky server populations. I myself have used this to my advantage in the past on EQ and WoW, but gaming the economy is not my thing anymore.

Oh, trust me. I've been playing MMO's long enough to understand.

In all reality, Phase 4 and Pre-Order is the launch of ARR in my eyes, and for most people who see this MMO as their Golden Goose for the present and future.

Also, server economies on new servers usually are bonkers to start, but they level out. The thing about it is that everyone is starting on level footing where on Legacy servers, you'll have the higher leveled masses using their advantage to control the market due to their ability to farm and banked gains from 1.0. 

There will be economic problems on both sets of servers, I just prefer one over the other.

This is a tough issue.

But, as has been said, no matter what server people are deciding to choose let's please try to remember that everyone's here, whether it's because you were in 1.0, because you found the site through google, or because you saw this site linked elsewhere....we're all here because we all like roleplaying and want to do so in FFXIV.

I think if everyone approaches this poll, and even the discussions like this which are sure to follow as we get closer to Phase 4 of beta and Launch, it'll help smooth things on both sides of the aisle.

We're all in this together, so to speak. Now have a moogle. :moogle:

Well, there's trolls and there's worried people...

Like I said I understand the feeling on both sides, having been on both sides, and like I said elsewhere, the whole higher level people being around is a legitimate worry...  but it would become a legitimate worry pretty fast on a new server as well.

Besides, a server with older characters around isn't all bad. It means the lower level areas will be less overcrowded.

What's important however is to remain friendly.

Heh, that's kinda funny coming from me, I used to pick fights a lot on forum and in chat... because I felt very strongly about the community AND because I of RL issues bothering me more than I was willing to admit. Things change, though!

Oh, trust me. I've been playing MMO's long enough to understand.

In all reality, Phase 4 and Pre-Order is the launch of ARR in my eyes, and for most people who see this MMO as their Golden Goose for the present and future.

Also, server economies on new servers usually are bonkers to start, but they level out. The thing about it is that everyone is starting on level footing where on Legacy servers, you'll have the higher leveled masses using their advantage to control the market due to their ability to farm and banked gains from 1.0. 

There will be economic problems on both sets of servers, I just prefer one over the other.

I assure you I don't presume anyone's experience with MMO's and yes I to understand the balance of the economies, I just feel it prudent to take a moment to address them.

As a note, the market competitive on 1.0 servers has kept the prices fairly low for most finished goods and the level of cross over for resources between crafting disciplines retains a demand for reagents.

/shrug, it is truly just a matter of opinion, and like you say, they'll all just balance out eventually. (pending server closure or consolidation of course.)

I'm a new guy here, so take everything I say with a shovelful of salt, but...

While I somewhat agree with this, I think a large part of that is going to be mitigated by differing circumstances. I think any way you slice this pie, there's going to be a huge influx of new people on every server either way. And personally, even though my 1.0 character is being carried over... My plan is to delete him and start over fresh. I didn't get as far in as most of the Legacy folks, but I want this to be a new game and a new experience too. I know I'm not the only one who plans on doing something radical like that.

I agree with Rhynka, I would like to see both sides of the playing field, as I have met some really cool rpers who have said they wish to stay on Gilgamesh, as well as some really cool people who are going to Balmung.    That being said, I did vote for Gilgamesh but I havent made my decision either way.  After getting a look a each community "IF"  there is another server, I will then decided where my main will go.

This is a tough issue.

But, as has been said, no matter what server people are deciding to choose let's please try to remember that everyone's here, whether it's because you were in 1.0, because you found the site through google, or because you saw this site linked elsewhere....we're all here because we all like roleplaying and want to do so in FFXIV.

I think if everyone approaches this poll, and even the discussions like this which are sure to follow as we get closer to Phase 4 of beta and Launch, it'll help smooth things on both sides of the aisle.

We're all in this together, so to speak. Now have a moogle. :moogle:

tumblr_inline_mnm58eh8Ox1qz4rgp.gif

Remember!  No matter what server wins or loses we have to start off this server with a solid rp foundation! Stick together and turn the secondary rp server into a solid choice! We should all have the goal of making this work! We can do this!

Best words said in this thread since ever.