Collector's Edition a threat to RP?

There has been a lot of encouraging discussion on the boards lately, of roleplayers not willing to simply lie down and get walked all over by elitist Legacy players, but I don't think things go quite far enough. Setting up our own server is a good start, but we risk running afoul of a new problem.

I'm talking about Collector's Edition players.

Just like Legacy, Collector's edition players get advantages regular players don't get. They get a free, unique mount, special barding for their Chocobos, minions, special gear, AND early access to the game. These are blatantly UNFAIR advantages that will be persistent and skew the game long after Collector's edition is no longer available. These players will already have had five days of playtime to level grind and explore, which is a head start regular, hard working players simply won't be able to match. The economy will be a ruin of high-tier items, with no low-level crafting available for the regular players. They'll also get a free security token, further increasing pressure on regular players to cave in and subscribe to SE's money-grubbing 'account protection feature'

I understand what you may say. "But anyone can get Collector's Edition right now". That's true... for now. But eventually the game will come out, and we won't be able to get these advantages anymore. Just like Legacy. And what about the FFXIV 1.0 Collector's Edition holders? They still get THEIR bonuses! Asuran bracers and Onion Helms and Hermes Boots. Perma-sprint in town? Crafting bonuses at level 1? No thank you! The game is far too unbalanced as it is, allowing these kind of advantages will simply make it impossible for regular players to manage.

If you're still reading after two paragraphs of this vitriol, you should know that hardly anyone reads the second to last paragraph of a frothing rant like this, and so therefore you can rest secure in the knowledge that this entire post is utter nonsense. I am a Legacy player, I bought the Collector's edition, and I am completely taking the piss.

So in closing, we need to go further than to just exclude the Legacy players. If we want a truly equitable server, we need to preclude Collector's edition players, and indeed, any who preorder the game at all. Paying extra, or paying early for a game does not justify having such huge, unfair advantages. Period.

So in closing, we need to go further than to just exclude the Legacy players. If we want a truly equitable server, we need to preclude Collector's edition players, and indeed, any who preorder the game at all. Paying extra, or paying early for a game does not justify having such huge, unfair advantages. Period.

skqKf.gif

:roll: I never thought in v.1.0 that people were like jealous to onion helm.  I was so bummed that I didn't know the early days that I can hide mine. It wasn't cute on all races!

(btw I don't have the bracers and boots you mentioned, what are they?? O_O .....feels I've been robbed! GIEF)

Yeah, I totally agree. In fact, as a 1.0 player with a CE I think I'm going to cancel my account to make room for all the new players so they can play without worrying about me being around to ruin their fun. I mean, I only wanted to role-play with people, but I can't in good conscience play with them knowing that I have so many unfair advantages and played 1.0 for a month or so. Even though I was actually going to make a new character and start over myself since my 1.0 character was only 20, I think this is the best course of action.

xD

:frustrated:

Yeah, I totally agree. In fact, as a 1.0 player with a CE I think I'm going to cancel my account to make room for all the new players so they can play without worrying about me being around to ruin their fun. I mean, I only wanted to role-play with people, but I can't in good conscience play with them knowing that I have so many unfair advantages and played 1.0 for a month or so. Even though I was actually going to make a new character and start over myself since my 1.0 character was only 20, I think this is the best course of action.

i4x5g.gif

So, I read everything and not sure if troll, joking, or actually serious. o_o

Then you didn't read it close enough. >u>

Hey, gimme a chance, english is 2nd language, I don't catch all the subtlez all the time! (which also means you shouldn't look for any subtlez in my post cause there rarely ever is any o_o). Also I misread that all-important second-to-last one.

Gotta admit, though... Onion Helms are overpowered.

We can't stop here.

I mean, really. Anyone who has played an MMO before is walking into this with a completely unfair advantage. Nay, anyone who has played a Final Fantasy game before.

How far is it to go up again someone who KNOWS what a Black Mage is? That we ride these ostriche-like yellow birds called chocobos. :chocobo:

I don't know about you but I'd think twice before mounting one of those things if it were my first time. But I know better. Un-fair.

Allow me a moment of srs bizness here.

I've been talking about how not cool it was for newcomer to basically act like Isilme did (except more serious and less intense), so to be fair things out I have to say, don't poke too much fun at those who are worried about joining an old server.

I, for one, love to beta mmo's and join at launch so I'm not behind, so I understand the concern and making fun like this might seem a little bit elitist.. though I'm pretty sure it's not meant to actually mock or offend anyone except those who are being aggressive about it, I guess :evil: .

Moving along, now. ^^;

Allow me a moment of srs bizness here.

I've been talking about how not cool it was for newcomer to basically act like Isilme did (except more serious and less intense), so to be fair things out I have to say, don't poke too much fun at those who are worried about joining an old server.

I, for one, love to beta mmo's and join at launch so I'm not behind, so I understand the concern and making fun like this might seem a little bit elitist.. though I'm pretty sure it's not meant to actually mock or offend anyone except those who are being aggressive about it, I guess :evil: .

Moving along, now. ^^;

Nothing serious will ever be prefaced with "Allow me a moment of srs bizness here." :P

And we're all just having a little fun. 

IrMFEdI.gif

The words "elitist" and "noob" get thrown around way to easily in the gaming community. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and realize that it's a game and we're supposed to be having fun.

We're all in this together! Let's laugh, let's play, let's hug and let's sing. We all come from different backgrounds, experiences and desires, but we're all here to game and role-play!

Sometimes we need to poke fun at ourselves to realize that it's not really as serious at it starts to feel after so many defensive and aggressive words are flung around.

We can't stop here.

I mean, really.  Anyone who has played an MMO before is walking into this with a completely unfair advantage.  Nay, anyone who has played a Final Fantasy game before.

How far is it to go up again someone who KNOWS what a Black Mage is?  That we ride these ostriche-like yellow birds called chocobos.  :chocobo:  

I don't know about you but I'd think twice before mounting one of those things if it were my first time.  But I know better.  Un-fair.

I lament for those people in some far-off jungle or tribe of people who never, ever have even seen a computer or any technological device.

How unfair their advantage must be as I can type circles around their useless, child-like hunting and pecking on their keyboards. Would they even know to plug in the computer or console? Maybe they will be too busy kneeling down before the lit monitor and praying to their new god as I am rounding about Stasasha dungeon in the finery of my Onion Helm?

And in addition, I will also save some tears to creatures of the world, both woodland and domesticated, that cannot even fathom computer usage and would probably just sleep next to a game console for warmth. EAT MY UBER-NESS IN-GAME YON KITTIES/DOGGIES/BIRDIES/HAMSTIES/LIZZIES/(Insert your favorite animal/pet here) !!! I HAS OPPOSABLE THUMBS and THOMAS EDISONS OWNS  THE LIGHTBULB FOR MANKIND!!!

:P :bomb: