Will you be using Naming Conventions?

Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of walking, how to you toggle it?

Scroll Lock.

Scroll lock hides my UI. Just go into keybind and set it to whatever you want.

Right! It's the / key on the numpad that toggles walk, my mistake.

On my PS3 I just don't push the joystick all the way.

On the subject of walking, how to you toggle it?

Scroll Lock.

Scroll lock hides my UI. Just go into keybind and set it to whatever you want.

Right! It's the / key on the numpad that toggles walk, my mistake.

On my PS3 I just don't push the joystick all the way.

Yeah, same. It's cool.

It just means I won't know you're an RPer just by looking at your character alone, unless I've already met you or I find you RPing somewhere. I don't know anyone yet, so I can't tell who's up for RPing ingame and who isn't ;_;

I can understand that. Sometimes you might jsut have to ask in someway? I'm not on the RP servers yet so I'm kinda stuck playing as normal till open beta :P

Balmung is the primary RP server. Gilgamesh is the secondary RP server if you don't want to play on Balmung for whatever reason. :)

Back on topic, I've always wished for a sort of "flag" we could put up for being an RPer. xD At least in XI we could have put it in our Bazaar comment or something that people would see when they /check'd us.

Lots of times you can tell an RPer is IC by if they're walking instead of running in town or wherever. The Intermission/OOC LS on Balmung will be helpful because the members will all be RPers.. but sometimes you just got to ask or post at someone and see if they respond!

What about the comment box? You know the one you can use when you edit search options/criteria for yourself? You can have 60 characters in that box. Maybe people can put the words "RP" or "RPC" or "Roleplayer" or something in them? I just thought of that as I made my character on Balmung just to have a nosey around Limsa. Just a suggestion.

I don't see why we can't ask SE (and mostly likely someone already has done) if they can add that type of flag? They talk all the time about roleplayers liking lore and stuff, so maybe make something that helps identify them?

Definitely, yes. I love the added flavor that this brings to the world. In other games, we usually get some basic idea just by looking at NPCs. Elven names tend to be pretty clearly elven, longer and elegant sounding, dwarven names tend to have the rougher sounds and such, but here we have more than what sounds or feels right, we have what IS right. We're not just trying to follow lore, we're actually able to have our names be 100% accurate to the setting. That's kind of a big deal for me, as someone who gets really frustrated when games don't give us enough lore about a race and their culture or customs.

I think, whatever people choose to do with it, the naming conventions can really add a layer of understanding and reality to our characters, which will only help us with roleplaying. 

Hyltwakka will be my main, a Sea Wolf Roegadyn. I'm pretty sure it's said "Heelt-vwahkkah"... But if you know better, let me know. He'll probably go by (v)Wakka more often than not, and yes I realize this is a character from FFX. >.> Do you guys think people will have a problem with that? As long as it's just his nickname and not the name above him, I think it should be okay... Plus there's the v sound, so it's not actually said the same way. 

Definitely, yes. I love the added flavor that this brings to the world. In other games, we usually get some basic idea just by looking at NPCs. Elven names tend to be pretty clearly elven, longer and elegant sounding, dwarven names tend to have the rougher sounds and such, but here we have more than what sounds or feels right, we have what IS right. We're not just trying to follow lore, we're actually able to have our names be 100% accurate to the setting. That's kind of a big deal for me, as someone who gets really frustrated when games don't give us enough lore about a race and their culture or customs.

I think, whatever people choose to do with it, the naming conventions can really add a layer of understanding and reality to our characters, which will only help us with roleplaying. 

Hyltwakka will be my main, a Sea Wolf Roegadyn. I'm pretty sure it's said "Heelt-vwahkkah"... But if you know better, let me know. He'll probably go by (v)Wakka more often than not, and yes I realize this is a character from FFX. >.> Do you guys think people will have a problem with that? As long as it's just his nickname and not the name above him, I think it should be okay... Plus there's the v sound, so it's not actually said the same way. 

Depends how much you want to abide by the conventions set out - Seawolf names are supposed to consist of a combination of Roegadyn language syllables. a list of these can be found here

As you can probably see from the replies in the forum, people are prepared to ignore the naming conventions and site their own convoluted ways in which their character has wound up with a name different to other members of it's clan.

They are just guides, you can follow them as closely or as loosely as you wish

Yes and no. I generally always use Armi and Loki in games, but their last names are always lore appropriate to whatever setting they are in. For instance, in 1.o Armi was a Elezen so her name was Armi Duvignau, I'm changing her to a Midlander so her name is now Armi Alliando. Loki was a Midlander so she was Loki Mirandette, this is being changed to Loki Aethertide to be more Highlander appropriate.

I enjoyed my original two last names because they were actual last names of my ancestors but ah well.

Rhynka Lahoka = No, she wasn't born in the tribe but was taken there during early childhood.

Diakhan Lahoka = Not really, she's a half-breed and wasn't always welcome with the rest of the tribe Rhynka was raised by, which they broke off from.

Samantha = Yes she's a hyur so I will be giving her a less awkward sounding name. (Still need a last name.)

Lahoka is really a thing Diakhan came up with for the rogue clan Rhynka, and Razamir travel with, not sure if it's more a keeper thing to do, but they're a group of gypsy like misfits anyway.

Any others I do it will depend on their background and origin. I think my husband will change Razamir to R'zmir on his character name plate but on paper it would be Razamir because trying to make good ties with the city requires some adaptation to any different culture coming in. It's easier to pronounce by looking at probably too.

I wish I could've found more examples of lady Keeper miqo'te names.  I just followed the naming conventions the best I could.

Kivhi's original name in beta 2 was Kiville Yaghse and changing it entirely would've felt really strange, so I just changed it to fit.

Both yes and no, actually.

The name I want for my roegadyn (White Wind) is unavailable, plus I wanted something a little more flowing and prettier. So I came up with an IC reason why my roegadyn female (Hellsguard) has both her roegadyn name, and one that is...not.

~Aiora Whitewind

Totally am!

Though way back when I first roll my Keeper, they said Z's were common and I don't remember anything about super-short names.. so I ended up with Azyria Ziada.

My Sea Wolf is going full viking style as Agata Blysstahlwyn (Amber, Daughter of Steel Blossom, who was evidently a warrior of some sort).

My Elezen is going Frenchy-style like all Elezen as Jeanette Lenoire (french for Jeannette the black... "le" is actually a "male" pronoun cause we French-speaking folks put genders on everything, but I thought Lanoire didn't sound quite as good).

My Hyur Midlander, who I still don't know for sure if I'm gonna play her is Helena Duval, which I guess is Hyur-ish enough. (Interestingly, "du val" is French for "of the dale" or "from the dale")

*places pies down for all to eat*

I did follow the naming convention for my Hellsguard that I made (Night Rain) and actually worked both the Hellsguard naming convention and the overall Roegadyn naming convention into his back story.

That doesn't mean one HAS to stick to naming conventions. I mean, let's look at the real world. I come from a spanish family; straight off the island with extremely spanish names. For example, my father is Jose, and he named me and my brothers Jose as well (NOTE: please insert Hose-A, Hose-B, Hose-C jokes here). My grandfathers name? Timothy. Mind you, he never left his farm on Puerto Rico, so his parents never had any outside influence to name him such. They just wanted to name him.... Timothy. 

Going forth, will I follow naming conventions? Probably. I know my Hyur will be Baelon Mcleod. The first name follows the midlander naming convention but his surname? *shrug* I'm not sure. I just like it because its from Highlander :blush:. So you see, names are what you make them.

For my characters: sort of?, no, and yes.

The name Mali Bloodscythe uses doesn't follow Roegadyn naming conventions, but her real name does. The likelihood of her real name actually coming up is rare enough that I'm going to say "no" for her, though.

Tivahlt Grimmgeist is most definitely not a Miqo'te name, but I have a good reason for it I swear. A really complicated one. It's not just because I liked the way it sounded. Shut up.

Kadezan Kanazan follows the naming conventions for Lalafell. He's about as vanilla as I will ever get.

Took a bit to understand the naming convention of the Seekers of the Sun. My main character's name since I created her in Lord of the Rings Online, and subsequently recreated in World of Warcraft, was Kailia Sweetleaf.

Well I found a little name generator: http://fandango.exp.jp/name-generator.php and used it to come up with the father's name. And since in World of Warcraft and even Lord of the Rings Online, she's always been associated with the Wolf, I've converted the name to:

W'kailia Khai

Wahkailia Khai

Kailia of the Wolf, sired by W'Khai Nunh

So yay thanks for those links! It's helped evolve my character's name :)

I do...but I kind of twist and interpret it in myown fashion. Abaigeal's name is a mix of Highlanders and midlander as she is half and half. (Her wiki has more info on it!! But my cell is not cooperating so I can't linkit)

I also have a miqote keeper and elezen thatwill follow the convention as well :)

I'm a stickler for following naming conventions. I place so much time and effort into naming my characters that I become lost if I don't have at least a rough set of guidelines. Following known naming conventions adds to immersion for me. There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. I just prefer for the exception to remain the exception rather than to become the rule.

I'll take them into account, as I think naming conventions are good tools to give the world consistency.

Cultures meet and merge somewhat in the Eorzean city-states, so finding that people have adapted another culture's names into their own isn't hard to believe. That should give me enough freedom to use names that don't follow the rules strictly and that don't break the lore.

Honestly, I'd like to say I'm using naming conventions, but I'm too attached to the name I came up with.

"Eudalie" is just the name I really want for this character, and I might be able to get away with it for lore's sake since she's a Keeper mi'qote, but it's iffy. n wn;;

The surname I'm giving her, "N'aal," might stand a chance at being lore-worthy, but only if I meet other players who may serve family/tribe roles, or I guess I could just include NPCs in her backstory.

What do you guys think?

Anyone else taking a whack at the naming conventions for culture and whatnot? :3

Despite not being born within a tribe, A'nzil still follows conventions for the most part, except for his last name. ICly his mother just tacked it on there because she wanted to and that's the only way he's ever known himself, so that's what he calls himself.