Will you be using Naming Conventions?

Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?

• Yes
    • No

I like to follow naming conventions for immersion's sake. I think anyone who's rp'ing either needs to follow naming conventions, or have a damn good excuse for their characters... Just saying if in real life I ever meet a white guy named Ming I'm gonna have a few questions about that, and I'd expect he would have an interesting answer! A'nzil's post is a perfect example of that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link to the Roegadyn one in the OP leads to a dictionary while the rest lead to examples of naming conventions.

What are the sea wolf naming conventions exactly?

Sea Wolf Naming Conventions . There's a reason it links to a dictionary.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Well, I will follow the naming convention for my last name. If I was going to do so for my first name, it would be strange not being darcey.... I am always Darcey!!!! 

Hrm... Will have to put some thought into that.

Thank you for the answer Nox!

The link to the Roegadyn one in the OP leads to a dictionary while the rest lead to examples of naming conventions.

What are the sea wolf naming conventions exactly?

Sea Wolf Naming Conventions . There's a reason it links to a dictionary.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Well, I will follow the naming convention for my last name. If I was going to do so for my first name, it would be strange not being darcey.... I am always Darcey!!!! 

Hrm... Will have to put some thought into that.

Thank you for the answer Nox!

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if the naming conventions differ at all for characters that might have come from the Garlean Empire?

That's a very good question. Seeing how the Empire military structure is based on that of the roman empire, I'd say roman names are probably a safe bets. Using the few named characters that come from the empire, we might be able to shape a very limited but useful idea of how their conventions work.

There's also this post in the official lore forums. Someone there analized the known garleand names with different degrees of success.

In that thread, one of the devs made a short post about how the word in the middle of garlean names represents their sociopolitical position. So it's worth a read, even though most of it is speculation.

There is two ways I could do this.

Use the naming convention as it is.

Use a nickname as a main name but still offer a convention name (hi my name is x but everyone calls me y).

Either works and respect naming convention, now if I can decide if I play male or female Miqo'te...

I double checked and it looks like I'm following the naming conventions save that the title my character has is in German. Foust means Fist in German, and it also happens to be a surname. It came from a nickname for people who were pugilistic long ago. That works out fine for me since I'm going for pugilist. :D

To be honest, the naming conventions presented for the game so far are not complete. That is, they were made to satisfy the need to name NPCs and not player characters. For instance, giving a character a surname based on a personal accomplishment like with highland hyur is perfectly fine for characters that you meet briefly, but over the course of a character's life, that title may change several times. In addition to which, Raubahn Aldynn's last name certainly doesn't fit the presented naming conventions for highland hyur, so even SE isn't following the naming conventions they set up like a hard ruleset.

Similarly, a naming convention based on rhythm and rhyme is fine, but the standards presented for lalafell are very limited because they only intended to use the lalafell names to create cute, humorous, or otherwise funny sounding characters. Amida Amori would be a perfectly fine name for a plainsfolk lalafell and it is clearly outside the presented naming conventions.

My advise is to use the naming conventions to get the general idea surrounding the race's naming conventions, but don't rely on them as a hard set of rules. I'd know, I spent many hours playing with the naming standards for lalafell and highland hyur, and I rarely find a name that I would stick with. It is not until I start changing things up a bit that I get a name that I would stick with for the long run.

I've been meaning to ask about this.

1. Is Raubahn Aldynn following Highlander naming conventions 

In addition to which, Raubahn Aldine's last name certainly doesn't fit the presented naming conventions for highland hyur, so even SE isn't following the naming conventions they set up like a hard ruleset.

"As the Highlanders are a warring race, their last names tend to sound more...violent, as they will often adopt the colorful nicknames they have earned during battle."

Key words highlighted...I would think Aldynn does fit, especially when you take into consideration the following note also included in the highland conventions:

"Fun Fact: Some Midlanders like to joke that because Highlander names have a very Roegadyn feel to them "  

Aldynn sure looks Sea-Wolfie to me :P, and easily falls within highlander naming conventions as presented.  I think SE has been fairly consistent in following the naming conventions with NPC (except for allowing them to get away with one name, but even those names pretty much follow convention ;)).

I voted yes.

But you're a Miqo'Te with a very Germanic name, why aren't you a Roegadyn or something?

Okay, Saefinn is actually an Icelandic name and perhaps fitting for the very Germanic/Nordic Roegadyn, but Saefinn is the name used for my MMO presence. I used naming conventions for some of Saefinn's family. In creating my character's family history, I have made excuses as to why he's called Saefinn.

It's not unusual for somebody to take the names from another language and of course beyond calling my cat Yoshi.

But names I'm using in this family:

R'uhanu Tia, who became R'uhanu Liljasson. Saefinn's grandfather.

R'Lahta Liljasson. Saefinn's grandmother.

Steinn Liljasson. Saefinn's father.

Rohsa Liljasson. Saefinn's mother.

Finnbjorn Liljasson. Saefinn's brother.

Lilja (surname unknown), R'uhanu's master, a Roegadyn R'uhanu owed his life to.

At least I feel these names are justified. Roegadyn naming conventions seem to derive from the Germanic, particular in their use of dipthongs (like ae, oe and other combinations to create long vowel sounds) and the use of 'j' as a 'y' or 'y' for 'i', for example, their word for 'hunt' is Jaeg, people will know of Jagermeister, which literally translates from German to 'Huntmaster', hence the Alestorm song. ;)

Then of course the Miqo'te conventions are a little different. The first letter represents the tribe, the surname is your partner (if you're female) or denotes whether you're a mate (if you're male) and the use of the letter 'h' is common due to how Miqo'tes pronounce words. You'll notice 'Rohsa' has no apostrophe, but she decided to lose that part of her name.

I think it's fascinating how you can play around with names and words in this, it kind of helps you understand the in game culture a little more and of course, help create an identity for your character, particularly when you're trying to justify less traditional names. :P

An issue that I've encountered while messing around in beta is having to choose a last name.  My Elezen has an appropriately Francophonic name, but due to situations in his back-story has no way of knowing his surname.  I'd actually like a way to circumvent the last name entirely.

Though I've not followed naming conventions very strictly, I have adapted my name to suit a Sea Wolf persona. Xanthe means 'yellow' or 'fair hair' and it's from the Greek. Morganach, (or Morgan) the surname is from Ireland, Wales and Scotland - part of my own RL heritage. It also means 'of the sea'.

So therefore, my character's name in traditional Roegadyn would be something like 'Blonde/Fair-Haired Sea Defender/Warrior'. I would have no idea how to write that.

Just because it's not exactly right, though, doesn't mean it can't fit in with your characters. I think my name works perfectly well and i'll be sticking with it. I could always from an RP aspect point out that she might have a 'true' Roegaydn name but doesn't like to use it and if she's been around people from other cultures a lot, made a choice to take a new name.

That's just my personal opinions about it, though.