Will you be using Naming Conventions?

Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?

• Yes
    • No

So for those of you that may not be aware, the developers over at Square Enix have taken it upon themselves to create a very in depth cultural dimension for not only each race, but each clan within the game.

This being naming conventions. Obviously this is a very important part to any culture in real life and a strong identifier for a persons background - you would instinctively know a person called Wei Jianhao is not western and may even be able to identify that it is a chinese name (for example).

With the naming conventions being so distinct and diverse, I have been quite disappointed so far to see that not many people have been taking up the idea - which is a shame as i feel this has the potential to make the RP experience a lot more immersive.

For those of you that dont know what im talking about, the conventions and rules can be found below for each race;

Hyur Naming Conventions

Elezen Naming Conventions

Miqo'te Naming Conventions (by the way 'Aitches' is the name of the letter H)

Roegadyn Naming Conventions

Lalafell Naming Conventions

So I'm asking y'all; will you be adhering to these conventions for your character?

What are your thoughts on having such a framework, do you feel its helpful or a restriction?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, yes. Antimony is not my character's given name, just one that she's adopted since leaving her clan. So while her in-game name won't outwardly seem to fall within the naming traditions of Sun Seeker miqo'te, she does have a lore-appropriate name! I've made sure all her kids (played by other folk) have lore-appropriate names as well. ^^

[edit] I wanted to add, that if anyone does meet a character without a lore-appropriate name, it could always be interesting to question them ICly!

I've kinda gotten used to my own handful of names I've been using over the years, but I'm strongly considering doing this...soon as I figure out Miqo'te naming rules better.

As for what I think of it, I believe it would be great is the community as a whole decided to go ahead and follow them, would make it easy to recognize each other quickly and add extra flavor to the world. That said, I know some people are attached to names they've used for years and asking them to drop them can be a bit much.

I've kinda gotten used to my own handful of names I've been using over the years, but I'm strongly considering doing this. 

...soon as I figure out Miqo'te name rules better.

I think it can be interesting to evolve a character's name further using the conventions as a guide. 

For example I was close to having a Dunewalker Lalafell based on a character I carry over a lot called Rhuca. Following the AAB AB naming rules I ended up with Ruruca Ruca.

but then I found Female Roegadyn and I changed my mind entirely :P

If you're a keeper of the moon you could pretty much be Phae'ra Nireath, for example. ('ra denoting fifth son status)

I like the idea of taking an old name and converting it to fit the naming rules, adds an interesting twist to it while still keeping the roots. Luckily my Miqo'te is indeed a keeper of the moon which should make it a bit easier.

Phae'ra Nireath doesn't sound bad, would be a rare case though since they hardly get that many sons, but a good start! I will have to look into this further.

I like the idea of taking an old name and converting it to fit the naming rules, adds an interesting twist to it while still keeping the roots. Luckily my Miqo'te is indeed a keeper of the moon which should make it a bit easier.

Phae'ra Nireath doesn't sound bad, would be a rare case though since they hardly get that many sons, but a good start! I will have to look into this further.

That's what I did. At the start of 1.0 I noticed all the Seeker NPCs in the game had an apostrophe after the first letter of their name, and that they were kind of hard to pronounce/favored h's. So I made up Aysun's "real" name to be A'eyshn, and she uses Aysun around others because they don't say her name right otherwise. :) Ended up working very nicely with the naming conventions!

As you can probably tell from under my username and avatar, I am sticking to the naming conventions of the Seeker Miqo'te. I have reasons both ICly and OOCly as to why. OOCly, I like how it sounds and I like that it adds another layer of depth to my character (not to say those who don't are less deep). ICly, my character's family is far from tribal, so one would imagine that they would use normal names or something like that, but they kept their clan naming conventions as a sign of heritage. Not as much a sign as say, the Keepers have, but "X'Sato" still shows that my character's blood is related to that of the Lynx tribe. I, personally, like the naming conventions. Could be just me. As far as seeing other people using them, I do believe that there are more than there seems to be. I know a few characters use the naming conventions, but go by a different name for one reason or another.

As you can probably tell from under my username and avatar, I am sticking to the naming conventions of the Seeker Miqo'te. I have reasons both ICly and OOCly as to why. OOCly, I like how it sounds and I like that it adds another layer of depth to my character (not to say those who don't are less deep). ICly, my character's family is far from tribal, so one would imagine that they would use normal names or something like that, but they kept their clan naming conventions as a sign of heritage. Not as much a sign as say, the Keepers have, but "X'Sato" still shows that my character's blood is related to that of the Lynx tribe. I, personally, like the naming conventions. Could be just me. As far as seeing other people using them, I do believe that there are more than there seems to be. I know a few characters use the naming conventions, but go by a different name for one reason or another.

On that note, you're keeping to the traditions just fine which is awesome, but the Seekers do not capitalize the letter after the apostrophe. It should just be X'sato Tia! :)

On that note, you're keeping to the traditions just fine which is awesome, but the Seekers do not capitalize the letter after the apostrophe. It should just be X'sato Tia! :)

Yeah, I noticed that after my hands got so used to typing the "s" capitalized. I need to go through and fix all that. Thank you for reminding me.

Yeah, I noticed that after my hands got so used to typing the "s" capitalized. I need to go through and fix all that. Thank you for reminding me.

No problem! :love:

I suppose I'll be using the re-customize option for a more lore complaint name.  I can almost swear in 1.0 all Keeper first names had an h in them...

Not all, but a lot of the Miqo'te names in general have h's. Kinda a theme.

Kind of.

My mooncat's name used to be Trick Silverpaw, but I changed the last name to be more convention friendly while still keeping the general sound and theme (Silvrapah). The first name's just an easily pronounced nickname from his give name "Maltriq'to"

I also have an Elezen named "Faye Cadenza" who just flat out ignores the naming conventions.

I'll use the naming conventions when I can, but I like "word" names (Violet, Trick, Bear, etc.) so I'll bend the conventions a bit to fit a particular name that really fits my character.

I think I will partially, at least for the first name. My Miqo'te's last name is actually a nickname given to her by some highlander buddies.

I've decided on the name Beia (or B'eia, Miqo'te spelling?) Quickclaw.

If shes a Seeker B'eia would work, for Keeper it'd just be Beia, only the male keepers have apostrophes in their name, which is their moms then the syllable that designates what order they were born in.  Xha'li for example is the third son of Xha.

I think I will partially, at least for the first name. My Miqo'te's last name is actually a nickname given to her by some highlander buddies.

I've decided on the name Beia (or B'eia, Miqo'te spelling?) Quickclaw.

If shes a Seeker B'eia would work, for Keeper it'd just be Beia, only the male keepers have apostrophes in their name, which is their moms then the syllable that designates what order they were born in.  Xha'li for example is the third son of Xha.

Thanks. She's a Seeker. I wasn't sure how the clans used the apostrophe.

Nnnnope! Bea's name was picked by the large influence of Hyur in the area. Beatric being very much Germanic in origin. She's got a typical Roegadyn middle name, though it's rarely ever used and largely something she does not associate with herself.

I make the same basic main character in each game I play, and I form his background around each game's lore. I'm doing the same thing here. He's a Miqo'te this time around, but I didn't want to change his name. Plus, the tribal thing really doesn't fit with the character. So instead, I created a background within the lore that explains why he doesn't have a tribal name. Basically, he's from the city. His grandparents left the tribes many years ago and took on common names, and it was the common name that got passed down through the generations. The tribal names get lost. He has no connection to the tribes, so there's no reason for him to have a tribal name.

My alt is also a character I make as my alt in each game, but she's a Hyur here so her name fits.

From there, if I make a third somewhere down the line for the third GC storyline, they'll have a name based on the conventions.

I will, though going more off the gist of the rules than the rather sparse Elzen lore section. They may have just as well said, "the Elzen are french deal with it".

Any Moogle, I just took my current online ID and changed it from Roger to Rogier to be more french.