Will you be using Naming Conventions?

Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be adhering to naming conventions for your character?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done my best to stick to name conventions, and so did my RP partner with his male Miqo'te. We mostly took ideas from the Japanese name generator, which is really useful because it also comes with the pronunciation written in katakana.

I have tried to find other characters whose names would be lore related. The character's name is the first thing that indicates that the player has studied the lore, and to me it mostly means that they *might* be RPers, so I give it a lot of importance.

After looking at the miqo'te naming conventions... absolutely not. Waaay too limiting for my tastes, and I don't want apostrophes in my name.

Instead, I've decided that my character will be coming from a community in which there has long since been intermixing between the clans.

For the sake of game mechanics, my main character, Fejar, will be a keeper because I want him to have the nicer mage stats, while his sister Lumei will be a seeker, as she's likely going to be a marauder (with a swift change to musketeer if they'd ever release it.) However, in character, though they might display features of their mechanical clans, they're definitely going to be hybrids. As such, neither of their names will be tailored to fit the clan specific naming conventions, because they don't actually belong solely to either clan.

Satisiun Desain.

The first name isn't going to win any marks for being lore-friendly, I admit, as it doesn't meet the naming conventions for the most part of an Elezen. On the other hand, 'Desain' is rather perfect if you consider Elezen naming conventions having roots in French, since 'De' stands for 'The' and 'Sain' stands for 'Sane'.  So in effect, Sati's name comes out as Satisiun The Sane.

Always nice to know when someone is sane, right? :lol: In any event, Sati's parents being of the traveling merchant variety before and up to his birth, I may just pass it off as his folks being a bit eccentric (oh the irony of eccentrics with that last name) as well as being around so many places and races influencing for a more original first name.

Considering Ryanti's cultural location of birth, family lineage, etc. I suppose I followed naming convention.

But not out of intention. Some naming conventions for the races are way too limited. I understand that if you hear a name, you should be able to tell what race they are, but.. it's not like IRL, for example, every Asian will have an Asian name. (I know an Asian named Frank.)

I would say.. the more your character's family has to do with their own race's culture, the more you should. But if you're making a character in an enviroment or a situation where.. it isn't, then the less you should.

I think naming is the one place where some otherwise stickler lore-fanatics sometimes try to find as much wiggle-room as possible, and its interesting to read the convoluted ways various names are explained into use :P.  Real parents never make cool names, but the hipster elezen couple who found you orphaned in a cardboard box as a kit sure knew what they were doing when they named you Moonswallow Honeydew...who were THEY to know miqo'te naming convention :roll:?  Also, as in real-life, I'm sure there are parents in  Hydaelyn who are looking to separate their progeny from the norm, so will bend their societal naming conventions when naming their child...and, as in real-life, that would probably also have a similar effect on the child as they grow up (positive and negative) as it does here on Earth.  Some countries actually have listings of acceptable baby names, and if you vary from that, you may actually not be recognized by your own government (link to the story of an Icelandic girl with the wrong name...).  So sure, naming conventions aren't set absolutely in stone in their manditory requirement for use, but choosing to do so can sometimes bring its own pleasure or peril (hopefully all pleasure, for you the player :P).

My feeling is a character's name is one of the few things YOU carry in with you into the game to set the tone for your RP.  Your appearance is based on the game's mechanics, but the name is all on you.  Its not always the case, but many times, the name is the first impression the other players have to go on to base their expectations on how the interactions with your character in RP might be.

Most other games aren't quite as detailed as FFXIV, but for whatever the reason, the naming conventions have been made fairly clear by the developers here, kind of like much of the rest of the lore; Here's the world, here's the history, here's the naming conventions.  As such, though I, like many of you, have names I carry from game to game that I can don like a comfortable old sweater, my choice will most likely be to either do some modifications for names I plan to use (S'indhi instead of Sindhi, to site one), or not use them at all.  

I'd love to name a character "Teardrop", for example, but how I will probably go about this in this case is take a name that falls within the proscribed naming conventions, and then work to spread the Teardrop "nickname" among those who would know me as the natural progression of things...just like in school, one might be enrolled officially as "John Patrick Finnegan", but some who know you have come to call you "Mud-dawg"...though on the other hand, in other settings and situations others might actually get to know you as Mud-dawg first :lol:.  It can go both ways, I guess...so maybe I will just go with the name Teardrop sometime *shrugs*

Tl;dr version...yes, I suppose I will be using naming conventions to the best of my understanding of them (until it pleases me not to do so :roll: )

I've been meaning to ask about this.

1. Is Raubahn Aldynn following Highlander naming conventions and 2. I've noticed a lot of npcs in Ul'dah for example not following these conventions, especially the Highlander and Midlander people of color like Raubahn. I've also noticed those from other countries like the Garleans following -nation- naming conventions as opposed to racial naming conventions. Can someone list names from the other non Eorzean nations of the world if possible?

Last question is there a country that follows more American naming conventions. I mean modern day America where names could be as wide as the sky? Amaare is a highlander, but he has never been to Ala Mhigo, he was born and raised on the ocean in a boat, his parents have never been to Ala Mhigo either as they were raised in a seafaring nomadic environment (the families are treasure hunters, privateers, adventurers and salvagers by trade and for several generations) around merchants, pirates and the like. So the places that they docked had influences on his parents naming him something more exotic. For example their last name in real life Margolis means pearls this goes hand in hand with the treasure hunting lineage of his father's family.

My Lalafell on the other hand totally follow naming conventions his name is Asambe Kyambe.

I have tried to find other characters whose names would be lore related. The character's name is the first thing that indicates that the player has studied the lore, and to me it mostly means that they *might* be RPers, so I give it a lot of importance.

Same with the above for me. When I see a character that follow these naming convention I'd assume that they are rp-ers, or are open/interested in roleplay. :)

As for me, I admit I have a hard time naming my characters. For my elezen I ended up going for a french name instead of sticking strictly to the guidelines although upon remembering that japanese name generator might still change it come launch. :D

Same with the above for me. When I see a character that follow these naming convention I'd assume that they are rp-ers, or are open/interested in roleplay. :)

As for me, I admit I have a hard time naming my characters. For my elezen I ended up going for a french name instead of sticking strictly to the guidelines although upon remembering that japanese name generator might still change it come launch. :D

Well, myself for one have come outside of the name guidelines with my character. Even though I have included it in his history, I have made a decision that he changed it to be more friendly to all the Hyurs and Elezen and that. I guess this could be my downfall as people may think I'm not in for playing as I have taken my character out on cenventions?

I will not be changing Kass's name to suit naming conventions. I don't feel like it would add anything to her as a character at all.

I agree. Alothia's name fits her, and I've made it fit her backstory as well. There's no need for me to change it.

Well, myself for one have come outside of the name guidelines with my character. Even though I have included it in his history, I have made a decision that he changed it to be more friendly to all the Hyurs and Elezen and that. I guess this could be my downfall as people may think I'm not in for playing as I have taken my character out on cenventions?

Nah. There are players who follow the naming convention just because they want to, not beaause they roleplay. :) And I'm certain not everyone here think the same way with regards to following name conventions.

It just means I won't know you're an RPer just by looking at your character alone, unless I've already met you or I find you RPing somewhere. I don't know anyone yet, so I can't tell who's up for RPing ingame and who isn't ;_;

One thing I've considered doing for my miqo'te is having her first name in game be her "hyur name" -- a corruption of her actual name that she uses among non-miqo'te, since she got tired of people butchering the pronunciation. I'm still deciding whether, due to elements in her backstory, she'd continue to use her father's name (or a corruption thereof) or a "constructed" surname, most likely based on roegadyn naming conventions, that she feels is appropriate for someone who lives in Limsa Lominsa.

In general, I think the naming conventions are great, but of course there's lots of IC reasons why your character's name wouldn't necessarily follow them strictly (for instance, see above :) ). I'd say that more traditionalist characters, or those with a more traditional background for their race, would hew closer to them than those whose families have lived in one of the city-states for generations or those who've been adventurers or have other backstory considerations that would lead them to change their name.

Usually i have problems coming up with new names. Thats why i usually stick with naming conventions when they show up.

Lately i have come to a online nickname i kinda like and want to keep (Sinikko) and the given naming conventions made it easy for me to come up with a name for my keeper.

Nata (derived from my mother, like keeper names are) 'to (im a second son) Sin (from my nickname)

Nata'to Sin, has a nice flow and sound.

I kinda will, and yet I won't at the same time.

My character is a Miqo'te, but he was named by his godparents, a Hyur and a Roegadyn, instead of his actual parents, who couldn't agree on a name themselves due to firm, conflicting traditions. I have no idea what name I should pick for my character, but it would certainly have Hyur and Roegadyn influences rather than Miqo'te.

It just means I won't know you're an RPer just by looking at your character alone, unless I've already met you or I find you RPing somewhere. I don't know anyone yet, so I can't tell who's up for RPing ingame and who isn't ;_;

I can understand that. Sometimes you might jsut have to ask in someway? I'm not on the RP servers yet so I'm kinda stuck playing as normal till open beta :P

I can understand that. Sometimes you might jsut have to ask in someway? I'm not on the RP servers yet so I'm kinda stuck playing as normal till open beta :P

Balmung is the primary RP server. Gilgamesh is the secondary RP server if you don't want to play on Balmung for whatever reason. :)

Back on topic, I've always wished for a sort of "flag" we could put up for being an RPer. xD At least in XI we could have put it in our Bazaar comment or something that people would see when they /check'd us.

Lots of times you can tell an RPer is IC by if they're walking instead of running in town or wherever. The Intermission/OOC LS on Balmung will be helpful because the members will all be RPers.. but sometimes you just got to ask or post at someone and see if they respond!

Balmung is the primary RP server. Gilgamesh is the secondary RP server if you don't want to play on Balmung for whatever reason. :)

Back on topic, I've always wished for a sort of "flag" we could put up for being an RPer. xD At least in XI we could have put it in our Bazaar comment or something that people would see when they /check'd us.

Lots of times you can tell an RPer is IC by if they're walking instead of running in town or wherever. The Intermission/OOC LS on Balmung will be helpful because the members will all be RPers.. but sometimes you just got to ask or post at someone and see if they respond!

Is the walking in town thing really something a lot of rpers do? I'm new to rping in an mmo setting, so I'm just curious. I've never actually toggled run/walk yet and still find myself sprinting to get around town quicker. :frustrated: Guess I'm just impatient.

Is the walking in town thing really something a lot of rpers do? I'm new to rping in an mmo setting, so I'm just curious. I've never actually toggled run/walk yet and still find myself sprinting to get around town quicker. :frustrated: Guess I'm just impatient.

When IC, yes, walking in town is pretty common. Even sprinting (if you're late for a date!), but yeah, seeing someone walking awhile is usually a clue they're probably an RPer.