Choosing a Seeker Tribe.

Clover

What Tribe would you like the most?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Tribe would you like the most?

Admittedly I am leaving important details like that to Clover since I am completely new to this but I don't think she would mind so long as she could choose her own mother(?) In any case she won't be able to reply until tomorrow, sorry ;;

No rush - we have all the time in the world. :) I look forward to hearing from her!

@Khaze'to: Awesome, thank you! I'll get them filled in! It's interesting to have a connection to Keepers in this family (and kind of funny how the K connection carries over in the names), even if it is distant.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may add, part of my character's background involved her stumbling across a young Tia(20-25) practicing with his bow outside of the village. She would go and watch him almost every day until he finally offered to train her with it once she got a little older. Archery became her passion, though the Tia died many years later. Do you think this would be okay?

It's nothing too significant to anyone other than my character but I am asking since you said females do most of the hunting with only a few exceptions existing... and I just want to be safe so as to not go against anything the tribe's customs or history.

As K'airos Thalen's player, I approve of this connections: RP will spring naturally from them!

Someone mentioned the tribe's leadership. I'm not sure how Seeker tribes work hierarchicaly, but I'd assume the nunhs, being the strongest/most capable members of the tribe, probably form a council of sorts, with the elders working as councelors.

But, whatever the leadership will be, I suggest we keep them as offscreen NPCs and just decide their 'orders' or overall goals OOCly. Bringing the tribe back together after the Calamity seems to be a good starting point, and it gives those who want to play characters with the tribal ties intact a reason to seek the other members and interact with them.

Also, Wolf, I don't see any problem with that little detail on your backstory.

Someone mentioned the tribe's leadership. I'm not sure how Seeker tribes work hierarchicaly, but I'd assume the nunhs, being the strongest/most capable members of the tribe, probably form a council of sorts, with the elders working as councelors.

Actually, according to lore, nunhs are very rarely tribe leaders. I was imagining some kind of matriarch position, though that might be more appropriate for Keeper culture. Considering the likely communal raising dynamics within a Seeker tribe (since only a couple guys are mating with a bunch of women), the council thing may be more likely but it could include elder members of the tribe regardless of gender (including supplanted nunhs that are too old to mate, elder females, and elder tias).

That sounds great. It will be interesting to see what direction we will take based on what the elders have to say, especially if there are disagreements among them.

Since people are posting(this is aimed at Naunet in particular), do you have any other ideas or pieces of information regarding the tribe that can help us string our own stories together? Like, for example:

What do Miqo'tes hunt?

Do they have schooling/teaching of any kind?

If so, what does it involve?

What happens in daily Miqo'te life?

Nothing too important but I believe them to be handy, particularly the last three.

Okay! Just got home from work, so now I have time to have a look at the tree and try to put myself in somewhere.

I have a question, though, and if nobody's for it that would be totally okay. But I was wondering if you guys would consider using R?

I know the poll says K, but I just wanted to make sure - I'm having trouble finding a good name. (K'aqsha has an... unfortunate sound, hahaha). People already acquainted with the character have prodded me to ask about keeping it. So, just leaving that out there, if you guys would consider it! If not that's cool.

Okay, back to messing with this tree.

Also - do you guys have skype? It might be useful to talk about this in some kind of real-time chat, as opposed to forums.

I have a question, though, and if nobody's for it that would be totally okay. But I was wondering if you guys would consider using R?

I know the poll says K, but I just wanted to make sure - I'm having trouble finding a good name. (K'aqsha has an... unfortunate sound, hahaha). People already acquainted with the character have prodded me to ask about keeping it. So, just leaving that out there, if you guys would consider it! If not that's cool.

Regarding the name, I'm pretty attached to the K syllable to be honest. That said, I totally understand your reluctance to change (and the unfortunate sound of K'aqsha!), as names are very personal things. I'd love it if you did switch, but if not, we may be able to come up with another way to intertwine the K and R tribes of the Sagolii desert as far as RP goes. So, we'd be happy to have you, but don't feel pressured, is all I'm saying. :)

I do have skype, if ya'll want to chat in a more real-time setting as suggested. Just add Netnau.

As for Wolf's questions...

1. Hunting targets would be based around what's available in the desert. I did some running around in the Sagolii desert in phase 3 and saw, perhaps most notably, a startling abundance of sandworms. I actually incorporated sandworm hunts in part of my character's backstory (tangentially - I mentioned it as something the tribe targets for meat, but they're also very dangerous). I remember there being a couple other distinct types of creatures, but I can't recall their names. Unless someone else can call them up on memory, we may need to wait until phase 4 opens up before we can solidify what exactly they hunt.

2. Children I think would have two options for education: either they strike out on their own to a city to receive formal schooling at an institution, or they stay with the tribe. Education in the tribe is probably handled in a team system, with elders and more experienced adults taking turns with groups of kids to instruct them on various topics. In Antimony's backstory, I mentioned that the huntresses of the tribe would regularly take young children with them on hunts. A similar strategy would be used when teaching them other basic things, including reading and writing, as well as tradecrafts needed by the tribe to support itself. So education wouldn't be the responsibility of a single individual, but rather a whole range of tribe members experienced in a variety of topics. If that makes sense. xD

3. Oops, see above!

4. I think this would depend on the level of interaction the tribe has with the rest of the world. Obviously there are basic activities of survival - the hunting and gathering of foodstuffs and water, caring for children and sick/elderly, crafting and repairing clothing and weapons and tools and housing materials, etc. I wonder if the tribe has a few, skilled individuals who regularly travel across the desert to more populous towns in Thanalan to trade skillfully crafted items, or materials only found in the desert, or whathaveyou for special foods or trinkets or other luxuries the tribe occasionally enjoys. Maybe? xD Clearly living a nomadic life in the Sagolii desert means you're not interacting with the outside world a lot, but I think it makes sense that they would be connected in some fashion, likely as merchants, and occasionally as hunters plying their skill on the warfront, to return to their tribe as military heroes (or in body bags).

These are just some random thoughts haha.

One more thing - I found a family tree generator tool that might help us?

http://www.familyecho.com/

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I'm playing with it now. I kind of like having the pictures, but this is interesting!

[edit] Hmmm it seems to not be very amenable to adding multiple partners to an individual (i.e. a nunh and his multiple mates). Boo.

Thank you for your answers! They have pretty much all met my expectations but I just wanted to be sure. The idea if nomadic tradesmen sounds very interesting and realistic, I'd definitely include it. Who knows? It may even influence some RP scenarios for some people.

It's cool! I'll just stick with K' then. :3 Rocky will be officially K'araqi now! So he can keep his Rocky nickname, obvi.

So, I realized you could save and link to family trees with this site. Here's the URL of the K tribe thus far. 

Oh fantastic, I can fit this in perfectly! K'araqi would be the nunh alongside K'yohko. His father K'haaz would be/have been the nunh sharing the generation with K'thalen (Antimony's mate). And lastly, the mother and father of K'ali Fidar (mate of K'haaz) would have come from the same generation as K'deiki and K'jhanhi.

All of that slides right in nice and neat!

[edit] This tribe needs tias! D: The poor guys.

Ooh sign me up!

K'haz Tia: Left Tribe around 16.

A TIA!!!

How old is he now, may I ask?

I think I broke the tree thing, there's so much overlap and I've barely figured out the tree. xD I give up at this point, might just remake it in Photoshop or something...

Photoshop is what I've been building it in, so don't worry about straining yourself - I've got it! If you want and have them, though, toss me some screenshots of the characters so I can add them in with the names. :)

K'haz is 27 now.

He joined the Imortal flames as a combat medic around 17, left around 24 and has been living in Gridania until recently. Now he's traveling back to Ul'dah to start up an underground clinic of sorts. He's currently living with Raze (Prophet's character)

Do you guys think we should make some sort of Linkshell for the tribe? I think it might be a great way to keep in touch with each other.

Haha, there's so many of us now, this may be a good idea! Though considering how varied the stories are, we may want to consider making it an OOC linkshell used to just organize RP and chat.

[edit] What about "Hipparion" for the LS name?

Do you guys think we should make some sort of Linkshell for the tribe? I think it might be a great way to keep in touch with each other.

Haha, there's so many of us now, this may be a good idea! Though considering how varied the stories are, we may want to consider making it an OOC linkshell used to just organize RP and chat.

[edit] What about "Hipparion" for the name?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, we can use it as OOC to organize stuff and take it from there. And Hipparion sounds good! Do we need a site or anything? Or at least a linkshell post on these forums?

I think Clover/K'Mih wanted her character to be sixteen years old provided that it wouldn't mean her character would have to return to the tribe to breed very soon(we weren't sure if it was viewed as a tradition upon reaching a certain age) but she'll have to specify herself. Assuming it's not obligatory then my character will be seventeen.

I'm sorry - I completely spaced answering this question. Got too distracted constructing family trees and stuff!

Anyway, I don't think it's mandatory for any female in the tribe to breed if they don't want to, nor is there a specific age at which they are expected to begin having (or at least thinking about having) children. So your girls are fine!

K'aijeen's player checking in. These family trees are already too complicated for my poor brain. So I'll just have to trust you guys. xD

On the subject of tribe leadership, there is a Miqo'te tribe settlement I remember running across in-game. There was a single male NPC in the tribe, the chief. The rest of the NPCs were female, and spoke about "The Nunh," but the description might not have been the chief. The tribe was relatively small, and had long-term buildings, so they weren't nomadic. I'm suspecting they had a structure similar to what we're going for with the K tribe, minus the nomadic thing. Their predominantly female population seemed to be primarily hunters, and my guess is there was a single Nunh, and the tribe's chief was an elderly Tia.

Just, however that applies. For my own part, K'aijeen left the tribe after the Calamity and is still a very young teenager. She's off with K'airos somewhere, so anybody looking to reunite the tribe could end up finding them. K'aijeen will be called D'aijeen in-game, because she got in a fight with her mom and decided she wanted to be a dodo instead. What a bird-brain.

... *punishes self for that last sentence*

[edit] This tribe needs tias! D: The poor guys.

*nods* Clover needs someone to make fun of.

(TAT? Tias are my absolute favourite and they get much love from me.

If my plate wasn't too full already, I'd make any Tia to challenge the current Nunh (and fail at it, but it'd be exciting regardless).

As for the family tree, I think K'Nahli and K'mih had the same father but different mothers, so they were born at similar dates ^^

Also, I thought there could only be one Nunh per sub-tribe? We could always imagine that K'yohko was killed or severely wounded by K'araqi (I don't mind if he's dead), unless he's already planned who the Nunh he as supposed to dethrone was.

Off I run!