A Duskwight Discussion

Eva

Wow, certainly a lot of in depth thought and detail put into Oskar's background and origin :surprise: ! Twinflame's remarks are a great way to view things when presented with an individual's very creative backstory that may not entirely mesh with one's own, and I think that reflects the way that many different clan cultures and traditions can be implemented within the Duskwight community without them starting to butt heads with each other :thumbsup: Great stuff, though...I'm glad you came back and made a guest appearance to share with us!

This has been an active, detailed, and creative thread, on a race's sub-clan that is one of the smallest in player-base representation. The fact that this thread continues to thrive speaks highly of those participating, and will wear the dusky mantle in-game ;) . This has been a great discussion, with wonderful contributions that enhance our understanding of each other, and what it will mean to play a Duskwight within the realm of this community.

Eisen, Kari makes a good point. Last beta session, during the Blue Skies event, Vairemont (a fellow Duskwight) and I were feeling intense pressure from some of the other party members over our voiced role play views on Wildwoods, as events lead to such discussion. There were those who whispered me and said that while their character would not allow such an attitude to stand, they themselves appreciated our roleplay of the Duskwight animosities. That is an actual in-game example of how that might work out :D.

Also, I think that when you are thinking through your character to begin with, when you decide that your character would forgo the animosities that are written into the lore itself, you might take a long-hard look as to "why". Why do you want to play your character that way, in a manner that is against what your race would normally adhere to? What in their lives removes that animosity from within them? Some may actually have an answer to that...Eva is a light-skin Duskwight that the Wildwoods have toyed with by letting her think she can fully assimilate into their normal society while secretly laughing behind her back (not as EVA tells it, mind you, but how Isobeau would see it :lol: ) If you are like many other characters that go for the "half-something raised by adoptive parents of an entirely different race" kind of thing, or something similar that is a true part of your background and explains the lack of learned animosities, great! But if you can't really come up with a good answer other than inconvenience, or a fear of what others may think, its my opinion that one should take a second look at that. There's not a whole lot to make one think that animosity is squashed by the greater Eorza NPC community lore wise...if it was, it would have happened already and not have been written into the lore. Its easy to see that in Eorzea, the Lalas, Roegadyn, Hyur, and Miqo'te either ignore the Elezen animosities, or perhaps chime in and prepetuate them on behalf of their beloved Wildwood...there are no civil rights marches going on within the NPCs to my knowledge. Certainly people can role play as they want, as mentioned often, player characters are exceptional over NPCs, and run at the whim of the person controlling them. Again though, if its not in the background of your character, does the "why" of it follow any sort of role play function, or is it more a comfort thing to soothe real-life conventions.

Having said all that, I do have a Wildwood I plan on playing, and the extent of his animosity will probably be role-played out in the occasional snide remark...he'll be able to operate and function in the presence of a Duskwight without being overly disruptive :P.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

And remember- as we've said before, Real World Politics do -not- (or should not) play a role in Eorzea. None of us here are pro-racism on an OOC scale... but we want to be true to the lore, and the lore says it exists. So... we work within that.

Keep the OOC OOC and the IC IC and if you are uncertain if the other player is a RPer, or a RPer receptive to respecting/incorporating the stated lore, send an OOC whisper. No harm, no foul.

I'm honestly excited to see where this goes and how it unfolds in 'realtime' in Eorzea. Will there simply be slurs, turned backs, attempts to cheat/overprice items by PC merchants?... or will it go so far as to physical attacks, refusing of medical care or lodging... folks getting up and moving from where they're chatting/eating when a group of DW enter? It really is quite open as to how prejudice and inbred hatred might be displayed by characters.

But again- in NO way are we, as OOC members of the planet Earth, condoning or supporting RL racism or prejudice. :)

I look forward to meeting your WW in Eorzea. Just... beware the knife she might have behind her back.... ;)

I'm adoring the lore each and every one of you are coming up with, and I like learning as much about it as possible. For Megs' clan, I'm wanting it to have lived in very shallow caves, which would mean they have always had very close contact with the overworld. However, his clan would only be four or five generations old; relatively young. I'm going to come up with a complete family tree for him when I get enough free time, and one thing I would love to do, is work things in such a way that the first generation or two of his clan are exiles from the clans of other players. They would be Elezen who left y'all's clans and came to the service, found one another, and started anew a couple hundred years ago.

This is one of the primary reasons I'd like all y'all's clans to have names and stuff. So I can have Megs have heard about them and RP accordingly. If that's okay. ^^

Incidentally, what do you all mean by Reaver culture? I'm not understanding.

Wow, really interesting thread. I'm looking at this from the other side of the fence so to speak as I'll be making a WW Elezen. I'm not a racist IRL (just to clarify!) and although I knew that there was a degree of bad blood between the DW and the WW I hadn't really thought about what that meant for day to day role play. 

I understand the need to role play in the world as it is and not treat your character as an island on their own. I had planned to be fairly open and accepting of other races in general as Eisen's life was saved by a Hyur when he was younger. Now I'm thinking that it might be an interesting idea to play with the duality of being quite open with other races but with an ingrained dislike of DW Elezen. Anyway, I don't want to side track too much!

My worry of playing out the relationship between the DW and the WW would be that it might reflect on me as the player, leaving people with a potentially negative opinion of me if they weren't aware of the lore surrounding the Elezen or viewed it differently. It might also end up in the strange situation where I actively want to role play with DW characters but they don't want to RP with me because of my characters views. So in a way my character gets what he wants but I don't!

As someone who is very experienced roleplaying all manner of offensive characters (from racists to jerks), I'd say it's not something you really should have to worry about. If anyone takes OOC offense at your IC behavior, they're violating the most important rule of RP, and it is they who have the problem, not you. You know at least everyone in here will understand where you're coming from and allow it, so if anybody has a problem with your RP, just let us know and we'll set them straight. xD

An idea you might like to play with is having your character be victimized by their own racism. Your WW may be outwardly accepting of all races and hold this as a point of pride, and yet my be accidentally racist towards Duskwight in a way that he cannot help. Remember that not all racists are that way deliberately; they just have knee-jerk negative reactions and instincts that they cannot prevent. They would just get a bad gut feeling or instinctive fear reaction every time a Duskwight is around, and they can acknowledge to themselves that this is a kind of racism, but still be unable to prevent these feelings. Instead, they'd just have to work extra hard at not reacting negatively to Duskwight. Despite their efforts, they may never have any Duskwight friends, because society has forced the curse of racism into their hearts, and they can't just stop being that way.

I think this is sort of how Meg's racism towards the Wildwood may play out. He acknowledges that they're not functionally any different than any other overlander, and he has passed time with them amicably. But he's had too many negative reactions to them in the past, and each meeting will require him to overcome fear and anger that he can't help but feel.

tl;dr - Actual racism is complicated and can be played out in a thousand different ways. Anybody who judges you for RPing that way is making a very sad mistake.

Totally agree with your last statement, Meg (actually all of it, but it was a Tl;dr so... ;))

I think there is a lot of room for all shades of racism.. and just HAVING it and having a character internally war against it... creates a nice avenue for character development (either finding ways to rise above it- or succumbing to it) and internal conflict. Things like this create dynamic, believable characters.

And as a RPer that loves to delve into consquences and the 'not so pretty' aspects of life in pursuit of the entire package of experiences... I like this.

Honestly, my DW may evolve in many ways based on her environment and those she associates with. Sure she'll have a basic persona- but it will be the RP that shapes her into the character I hope will be a great asset to the DW community (and Balmung in general).

Yes... I am -so- excited about this community! hehe

Ohhh I've been so busy these past few days and unable to reply but there's been so many wonderful thoughts and I'm glad Oskar came here to share his background because I know I was leaving some details out!!

Eva- have you thought of torquing your Clan name idea (aka Flowstone Clan) into a French-esque translation?  (snip)

I think this is a wonderful idea and I'm going to mull further over this for awhile.  Perhaps the Elder's surname may be something along this vein.  I'll probably make some decision one way or the other soon since it's going to become critical in ongoing RP over the next few days.  As yet the name just hasn't been dropped to those who would know.  But I really like the idea of clan names like this as labels.

EDIT TO ADD:  I delved into this a bit earlier and translated a number of phrases that would have worked nicely with "Flowstone Falls" - The one I liked best, "stone rain" translates to "pluie en pierre" which I kind of shortened to "Pluienierre", which I shortened even further to "Plunierre" so I was thinking maybe his full name would have been "Elder Roven Plunierre" or "Clan Plunierre" - the word itself probably has nothing at all to do with stone rain after that hackjob but just wanted to notate that here as well and will be injecting this to clan lore.

The Oracle: 

Oskar's clan lands would have one Oracle, a woman who could walk in dreams as if they were reality. In them she could manipulate the future, or even the past. She could influence people, see their dreams, walk in them. This was a special ability honed through out a lifetime. An Oracle would see a child in her dreams, who would be the next Oracle, and that child's family would give her up for training. Girls with no training would soon get lost in their own dream and never wake.

After speaking with Oskar a bit last night and also a couple other friends about what might be too hokey and going over good plot versus forced plot and such, I think it might be a good idea for Eva to play into something like this a bit, given her spiritual presence.  Oskar had once suggested long ago that she might have been an oracle if she had been brought up in his clan, and the notion intrigued her, as her clan has nothing of the sort.  But she has experienced lucid dreams and other such things which may (or may not!) be something along similar lines as this.  This is also something which we're hoping to tie into her surface role as well, as a sort of priestess of the Twelve.  Again, whether folks like Wildwoods would have any regard for that is left mostly on them as Eva herself exhibits no actual racist tendencies (even though her father did).  But there is something here that may happen in the weeks and months to come that will neatly tie everything together for Eva relating to this spiritual/priestess angle, the Calamity, the Twelve, and her duskwight heritage.  But I'm hesitant to give away too much more than I already have so I'll borrow a famous line and simply say, "Please look forward to it."  I'll also add that I can foresee Eva being a sort of character acting as an emissary between those on either side of the fence, though again not really belonging fully to either the traditional duskwight, nor the surface dwellers.  And I would imagine not everyone would be respectful of her for such collaborations, in both directions, but I also imagine there would be those who would still be interested in hearing her wisdom and speaking with her as a friend.  I suppose it all boils down to that racism thing and whether she's perceived as genuine, or a collaborator, or a sell-out, or pushover, or what have you.  It's going to be interesting no matter what though, and I'm greatly looking forward to it!!

Why do you want to play your character that way, in a manner that is against what your race would normally adhere to?  What in their lives removes that animosity from within them?  Some may actually have an answer to that...Eva is a light-skin Duskwight that the Wildwoods have toyed with by letting her think she can fully assimilate into their normal society while secretly laughing behind her back (not as EVA tells it, mind you, but how Isobeau would see it :lol: )

I admit that part of it - for my being - is that Eva is meant to be kind of a character that is very friendly, very kind, and can easily be related to.  She's not really all that extraordinary but she is generally pretty likable - or doesn't really give anyone a reason not to like her unless they conjure such a thing up themselves (i.e. racism).  In previous RP I've done all right at the stereotypical jerk type character (chip on the shoulder, lone wolf, whatever) and was actually aiming to go with someone more friendly here, broken somewhat out of customs but extremely curious about them, and perhaps somewhat naîve to the ways of the world (much less so two years of RP later).  She is very much torn between two worlds.  While Eva might think she fits in, and while Isobeau might think she's being mocked, the reality of things may fall somewhere in the middle, or depend upon who exactly is forming opinions and why - and everyone's going to have a different background and a different reason for forming different first impressions.  But I do like this assessment, and I'm positive there would be some Wildwoods living in Gridania that are resentful of her and her status - such as the one who refused treatment at Stillglade that time.  Then there are others, like her fiancé who overlook these things even though he did not have his parents' approval.  Everyone's impression is going to be different - and I cannot express adequately enough how awesome I think that is!

Many thanks for the comments! I don't want to dilute this thread by talking about my character too much but you've given me food for thought which is always good.

I would love to hear more about what you've in mind for your character.  This is very much a thread for sharing what we're all going to be doing with our characters and sharing a rainbow of cultural backgrounds, so a few paragraphs about that and some backstory or clan history or such would be interesting and may add to the discussion!  Please feel welcome to share!

tl;dr - Actual racism is complicated and can be played out in a thousand different ways. Anybody who judges you for RPing that way is making a very sad mistake.

I agree with this 110% as well.  While Eva isn't racist and has been confused about racist attitudes towards her (or by her own people towards the Wildwood), it doesn't make it wrong from a compelling storyline perspective.

EDIT:  Added a bit above (also in red) rather than double-posting.  Found a good clan name based on the recommendation provided!  Thanks again Kyatai!!

Clan Mauvaix would be the name I would use, a Clan based mostly on an extended family unit (with smaller families who were tied to the business through emloyment, and aligned under the dominant family's name). My concept is that this was a family centered around a job (mining), versus a location, and as such, were not tied to a specific area (thus maintained the last name as the Clan moniker), and may have operated in an area that may be atypical for Duskwights, being the mineral-rich subterranean tunnels and caverns around and about Ul'dah. This was probably not their point of origin, but this is where they were located when Isobeau came into being, at least through her early years and up to the Calamity. The ore is there, the markets for the ore are there...that location makes the most sense from my perspective. Isobeau's Pere followed the song of the ore, wherever it may lead :thumbsup:

You might say Clan Mauvaix was effectively a family-owned mining company, comprising solely of Duskwights (gotta admit...they'd probably be pretty good miners, all things considered ;) ). Traditions would have been born of operational efficiency, and I envision their contact with Ul'dah as being not so infrequent...Isobeau's early exposure to outside races and cultures would have occurred within the walls of that desert city-state. The culture of Clan Mauvaix would have been less tribal, and more...industrial :??

As far as Clan Mauvaix's relationship with other Duskwight clans, well, perhaps the fact that they did not exactly shun or avoid contact with the outside world, indeed, having participated in active commerce with the guilds and merchants of Ul'dah, may be a point of interest (although, as my background story sort of points to, the Calamity was sort of catastrophic to Isobeau's clan :( ). Whether they currently operate with the same purpose and structure, or even exist as a greater entitiy at all...will be learn through role play exposition, most likely 8-)

And, as always, all of the above is subject to modification or change, if I find it bumps against the lore in a manner too grievous to ignore. :P

Its too bad no one could predict how awesome this thread would become, and put a "placeholder" post as the first entry, where we could have listed some of the things we've come to develop through the course of this discussion, such as the information about the Duskwight linkshell, a list of the known Duskwight clans, etc...that would have been great. Can do it now, but its like a major news story tucked way back on page 15 of the newspaper :P

I'd suggest making a wikipage, if the thread can't be modified to work. That way, all the information is compiled into one, easily readable format. Then a link to the wiki could be posted in the first post, and.. bam! Problem solved. I think.

Or we could just start a new thread, which would be prudent for the Linkshell anyway. But before we did that, we'd want to have the write-up for the Linkshell settled and have more information on the various clans. We could also do a wikipedia entry about Duskwight clans and list what we know of them there. I haven't exactly done a write-up on Clan Desfosse (Megiddo's clan) but I know everything in my head. One thing about these clans is that a lot of them are defunct thanks to the Calamity or just the pressures of the surface world, which is obviously unfortunate.

Eva, was your Clan Plunierre one of Oskar's Northwest clans, or was it a different clan? I also might have missed if Teardrop or Kyatai have names for their clans?

No, Plunierre Clan would not be related to the Northwest clans.  Many of the concepts that went into Eva's ancestral group were borrowed from variations on what Oskar was doing at the time, I admit. And her clan probably wouldn't have been located terribly far from them, but Eva's group was definitely located beneath Coerthas (prior to its destruction as a direct result of the events of the Calamity, the tunnels were accessed from a cave opening near the Twinpools area of the Western Highlands of Coerthas).

Having been wiped out, it is something of a moot point now, but historically it would make sense that some of the other clans might have heard of them or even had interactions with some of them - (a representative coming up to trade fish or mushrooms or precious gemstones for clothing or beeswax).  They were a very peaceful people though, by comparison to Oskar's group, and many of the others from what I've read.

With regards to the OP, I can add another section listing the specific clans that have been mentioned thus far and perhaps offering a few quick phrases to describe the clan and then providing a link (or links) to the specific posts that provide more detailed information.

To give an example something like:

Name:  Plunierre Clan

Theme: Traditional, peaceful, underground waterfall, valued light/candles, valued written word

Member(s): Eva (removed by 2 generations but visited prior to its destruction)

More Info:  [link1] [link2] [link3] etc. (these would actually link to the specific posts within this thread pertaining to that clan)

It would be a bit of an undertaking but if everyone could provide the information I'd be glad to edit it in. Or someone could go about making a wiki page as well if that would make more sense (which it might since it would be something we could all edit, but I'm still wrestling with fixing up my own page there so I wouldn't want to draw it up from scratch).

I would gladly edit my clan's info into a wiki page if one was made, but I've no idea how to utilize the wiki. I haven't so much as looked at it, so I've got no page up for Megs or my alts or clan or anything. It's on my to-do list, though, so if nobody else does, I very well may at some point! Just have to finish making my family tree and writing my Monk play guide and...

In the meantime, though! I can do one of these:

Name:  Clan Desfosse

Theme: Family above all else, thieves and assassins, conflict with the overlanders

Member(s): Megiddo Desfosse (Elder Megiddo), Louree Desfosse

More Info:

Incidentally, Eva, the reason I'm saying "Clan Desfosse" instead of "Desfosse Clan" is because Clan is the same word in French as it is in English. So "Clan Desfosse" translates directly to "Clan from the pit". Which means your clan name implies, "Stone Rain Clan," and that is just cool. xD

Ok, so I've started an extremely simple wiki page, based on the few category items Eva and Twinflame listed. All one needs to do is jump in and start editing one of the empty areas to record their info. If there are no empty ones, I'll see if I can make a template that will stay blank, for copy/past purposes :D.

(*edit: Which I have done so. So if you know how to copy and paste the wiki coding, you can choose to "edit" the blank entry found right below the bold introduction, find the empty area below everyone else's listings, paste, and fill in the blanks. :thumbsup: )

Here is the link to "Duskwight Clans". It is found within the "Lore/Literature" section of the wiki.

I figure we can add a flashy intro portion and whatnot later (if someone has the wiki skills to do so...please feel free :P)

See what y'all think :)

When we were initially figuring out Garaf we didn't even have half the official lore we do now (which is saying a lot) so Garaf's background is pretty slim on details by necessity. He just shows up as a kid at Randirim Temple and grows up with the Nerians (a Wildwood family) and we've never really gone into where he was before then or what he might've been up to that lead him to Randirim Temple. Someday we might, but so far it's been pretty convenient to leave it be. When they were little, Crawa would make fun of him for being a "Duskie" and when Duran (another Wildwood) showed up he was very dismissive of Garaf but other than that he hasn't seen much in the way of discrimination. But then I don't usually write out much about his daily interactions with every random NPC he runs into. I've just assumed that he's not entirely welcomed everywhere and he probably doesn't expect to be. Garaf's the sort that he'd probably just roll his eyes or shrug and not really care if someone calls him names.

Just to expand a little more on some of the other points made previously in this thread: There are definitely Duskwights in Gridania (at least as of the 2.0 Beta, I don't remember 1.0 well enough to say either way) but they're usually the nameless "filler" sort that you see bumming around. The most memorable of which is a downtrodden Duskwight getting chewed out by three Wildwoods in front of the Lancer's guild.

From this I would conclude that Duskwights can, and occasionally do, reside in the cities and in the camps (I think there's another one out at Bentbranch) but they probably have to deal with a fair bit of discrimination in order to do so. There's probably a decent chance that these "urban" Duskwights are not representative of the subrace as a whole.

Someone also mentioned the subterrarian city in the South Shroud (dead south of the Druthers) that's currently being investigated by two Duskwight scholars. If memory serves, the ruins are called Gelmorra and this used to be where everyone (purportedly Duskwight and Wildwood) lived before Gridania was founded. Everyone used to live in Gelmorra, then 500 years ago they made a pact with the elementals and that allowed them to move out from underground and found Gridania. One of the scholars mentions that he's studying the ruins in the hope that it might become a new home for the Duskwight people, thinking that with one place to call their own they might stop being seen as vagrants.

This seems difficult to reconcile with the lore behind the split between the Wildwood and the Duskwights. The lore says that the Duskwights went underground, not that the Wildwoods came to the surface and seems to imply that the Wildwoods more closely resemble the "proto-Elezen". On top of that, I have a hard time picturing a race dividing along such disparate paths within 500 years. It seems like they would need much, much longer to develop into separate subspecies with distinct cultures. I would conclude then that Gamorra wasn't a Duskwight/Elezen city so much as just a city with a diverse population and probably did not play much into relations between the two. It's definitely something that could use further clarification from SE, but I don't know if we can count on that. Everything I saw on Gamorra came out of conversations with NPCs.

I finally got to the final page of this thread! Woo! :bouncy:

Despite spending the last few weeks brainstorming my character I have to admit I'd never given any thought to her clan.

Her family name is Hla'Rahel (La-Rah~el.... Ima end up having to make an audio recording I think, lol!), but I never pictured her parents as anything besides loving people. I still haven't decided on the how/why her parents came to Gridania. I've been toying with her father being a business man/tradesman and coming to the city in order to make a better life for his wife. Obviously moving to the city isn't a common desire for DW, so he might've been lucky in finding a woman who would love him and move to the city with him. I unno quite yet.

So far I'd had it in my head that she lived in Old Gridania with her family (I'll be changing it to whatever the housing area is called), but for the entirety of her life she's only known prejudice from her Wildwood cousins. From the Hyur and Miqo'te it wouldn't have been as severe, just basic amounts of distrust or odd looks. The Wildwood, being that they seems to hold disdain for any race besides their own, it would be the more severe treatment. Verbal abuse, bullying as a child, perhaps "young punks" throwing things at her.

This might sound a little silly for a DW, but I wanted to have my character grow out of being a naive little girl who loves everyone/thing into a woman who pursues her gifts in the healing arts and treats strangers with respectful civility. As a Conjurer/WHM she'll be very business-like when she's doing her job, and wont tolerate any tomfoolery.

She's a healer, and it would be against her personality/job to a large degree if she wasn't balanced in her treatment of others. I might even have her cruise somewhere in the middle personality wise to put emphasis on the "balance of nature" that I encountered during the CNJ quests.

Clanwise... I have zero idea tbh :|. I might just be lazy and see what other clans are settled in the Twelveswood. Maybe one of you fiiiiine clan creators wouldn't mind Myavar's parents being from yours (or maybe two different ones). Like, alienated for their more "modern" views of the WW and other races.

Well, I'm certainly glad to see another Duskwight make their way into this thread :D! Its been a lot of fun discussing all the various aspects of what it means to us to be a Duskwight, and the contribution we've had is just amazing...I think only the Miqo'te threads might get more posts and views (and well, they do outnumber us like 10 to 1 though :lol: ).

It looks like you are nurturing the seed of what your Clan may become already...you probably just need to roll it around a bit longer. You know, the bullet points under the Clan Listing really aren't all that in-depth...kind of jump-off points that you can flesh out at a later point. And certainly, many players aren't even going to bother with it, so really, its just an exercise for the individual if they want, to help further explore their own character.

Sure looks like you'll have good reason to bump into Eva at some point, though :)

This might sound a little silly for a DW, but I wanted to have my character grow out of being a naive little girl who loves everyone/thing into a woman who pursues her gifts in the healing arts and treats strangers with respectful civility. As a Conjurer/WHM she'll be very business-like when she's doing her job, and wont tolerate any tomfoolery.

She's a healer, and it would be against her personality/job to a large degree if she wasn't balanced in her treatment of others. I might even have her cruise somewhere in the middle personality wise to put emphasis on the "balance of nature" that I encountered during the CNJ quests.

I don't think this sounds silly at all, as it's more or less the same thing as I've been doing with Eva - who generally likes and respects anyone until she's given some sort of reason not to - naive as it may be sometimes.

I'll also confess as a healer that I don't do much with regards to the CNJ quests, being probably a bit more like that impetuous youth from the cutscenes that doesn't want to learn the elemental aspects of it or doesn't feel that she needs to.  That could present some interesting angles.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with going against the grain with regard to a well-intentioned duskwight living in Gridania.  It makes sense that some duskwight would live there and have to learn ways to adapt to survive living with the Wildwood and I'll be glad not to be alone in that too.  ^_^  Eva has also spent a lot of her teenage years being teased and ridiculed so there is that too.  It didn't help that she was also overweight throughout most of those years, so there was certainly no lack of ammo for the more racially-traditional Wildwoods who wanted to be particularly mean.

But I'm happy there's at least another duskwight Gridanian resident, and perhaps someone else that donates some time as a healer at Stillglade Fane~!!

I'll probably end up spending loads of time in Gridania and the Fane. I love that city so much, ICly and OOCly it's just an awesome place to me.

Over time I'll probably ease Myavar into the "Adventurer" role, something like a combat healer. It depends on what friends she makes and if circumstances line up to give her a reason to leave Gridania.

As soon as I can, though, I plan on buying a quaint little house and setting it up as a type of clinic RP location. Say there isn't anyone at the Fane, or people want to RP that sort of thing in a less crowded area, then they can seek out "That Duskwight lady" who lives down on Malboro Lane.

More than likely people who come to her at her home will find fresh warm tea, a comfortable place to sit, and a nice clean environment to be treated for whatever ails them. :thumbsup:

(Of course if you've got a broken bone she'll unceremoniously snap it back into place after distracting you with a cup of tea. Don't expect to be handed a fine expensive tea-cup)

This seems difficult to reconcile with the lore behind the split between the Wildwood and the Duskwights.  The lore says that the Duskwights went underground, not that the Wildwoods came to the surface and seems to imply that the Wildwoods more closely resemble the "proto-Elezen".  On top of that, I have a hard time picturing a race dividing along such disparate paths within 500 years.  It seems like they would need much, much longer to develop into separate subspecies with distinct cultures.  I would conclude then that Gamorra wasn't a Duskwight/Elezen city so much as just a city with a diverse population and probably did not play much into relations between the two.  It's definitely something that could use further clarification from SE, but I don't know if we can count on that.  Everything I saw on Gamorra came out of conversations with NPCs.

I think the answer here lies in something different. I think the two tribes grew apart simply because they lived in very different environments, but still held on to a similar culture. The "split," in terms of why the two tribes have animosity for one another, is stated to have something to do with the founding of Gridanian (and to a seemingly lesser extent, Ishgard) by the Wildwoods. We know that the founders of Gridania made a pact with the Elementals in the Black Shroud in order to secure the city-state. This deal (or the events surrounding it) are probably what lead to Gelmorra being fully abandoned. The animosity between the two tribes being caused by disagreement over this pact with the Elementals. Wildwoods went for it, Duskwights refused. Duskwights got kicked out and retreated further into seclusion.

Gelmorra very well could have been one of the first elezen settlements when they came down from the north. This would explain why there are both above ground and below ground Gelmorran ruins. Long and short, my theory is that there was not a large amount of animosity between the two tribes when they gravitated to different living environments. The animosity came later, probably over what the Duskwights call the "loss of their homeland."

I am starting to wonder if you are a long lost twin... :angel:

Kindred spirits! Sisters of the heart! Plus with how close DW tend to be we'd probably end up feeling like family to each other despite not being direct relatives. If we ever meet, anyways, though from the looks of it we should definitely plan on it!

I've also given my clan a bit of thought, and I think the Hla'Rahel name will be the start of a new clan, instead of worrying too much about what clan(s) her parents are from. That bit can always be worked out later if the opportunity presents itself.

For now I think I'll be content with a little 3 person clan =3

I have been thinking about my characters parents and their back story (actually did a big update for Rogier's wiki on that topic recently), and I have detrmined that i will be creating a clan for his father to have come from, but for his mother I kind of want her to come from an already establish black shroud clan. Though I am not sure what clan she will be in yet, suppose that info will remain a ??? for now. If anyone has an idea for me for a clan that she could have been from please give me a shout.

Also I will be posting his father's clan on the wiki with more details when I finish working it out.