A Duskwight Discussion

Eva

Just wanted to say as a brand new member of this forum, an avid RPer, and someone rolling an Elezen Duskwight that I am beyond impressed with the thought put into all of these backgrounds and personal lore (and that family tree was intimidatingly awesome). You've all made me realize that I have my work cut out for me (As I am new to Eorzea). I'll eventually, maybe finish my character's history and post it on the wiki...possibly, but for now I just wanted to say: wow.

I was new to 14 as well. I started at some point durring beta phase two, mostly just messed around and got a feel for the game. It wasn't untill phase three that I really started thinking about RPing and it was some time during that when I found the RPC in a link in a signature of someone on the beta forums.

now that the long winded part is over, I have really come along way with Rogier's story in a relatively short time, and I have to give alot of thanks for that growth to the helpful people I found here at the RPC.

So, while it may look like you have a long way to go, I am sure that if you open up and share your ideas here that you will find enough sparks to light those ideas into a real blaze of inspiration for a fun RPing character(both for you to play and for all of us to interact with.)

Oh this thread has helped me HEAPS when it came to ideas, and right now I have a giant list of ideas about my character, his clan, where he has been and how it connects to ARR starting story (don't want to make him "the most uber powerful ever" when I'm starting at lvl 1 xD). It's slowly coming together. Just have to make it cohesive and make sense with the story.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oohhh lovely!

I look forward to RPing with you! (am also new to Eorzea and FF overall... haha)

*high fives!*

Thank you very much and likewise ^_^. The hardest part of being new is, unless my character is a child, where the hell has he been since 1.0 to traveling on a caravan/ship (depending on your starting city).

Thank you very much and likewise ^_^. The hardest part of being new is, unless my character is a child, where the hell has he been since 1.0 to traveling on a caravan/ship (depending on your starting city).

The easiest answer to this is... wherever you want him to have been!! You might not get much of a grasp on this until after you start playing and working through some backstory for yourself or figure out a bit more about the lore, but you probably won't even have to answer the question for some time. Even those of us from 1.0 had to kind of ask ourselves these questions too when we started out, and figure things out for ourselves. The only thing I really knew about Eva's past coming into XIV was that she had lost a lover in the fairly recent past. Everything else about that fellow, and her family, and her heritage/ancestry... all built up kind of as we went along. I don't know if that helps or not, because some people like to have everything figured out before they start, but there's plenty of time to make things up as you go too!

I definitely agree that there is merit to figuring things out as you go along. I've always liked developing my character organically and found that it leads to more dynamic RP. Not to say that having things planned out to the letter leads to less compelling interaction, that's just my personal observation and preference. 

As to your suggestion on where I want to be, the trick is finding out where that is and at least knowing enough about the lore prior to the calamity so my character feels like he's lived in this world (and not have to give him amnesia as an out XP)

Well I can only speak for my character...

I have written Chiané's story up to the immediate aftermath of Bahamut's temper tantrum. After that... kinda just seeing who she meets (if anyone) in the next 5 years until launch.

((aka... any DW that will be lurking about Xephantol/Ishgard/North Shroud into Gridania area... and want to meet up, let me know. I'm even open to her going further south into the Sands or Limsa, if I have a good reason for it.

5 years is a long time.... and the world is a broken place, I'd imagine))

So. IMHO, if your character is a survivor, it is entirely up to you what happened to him prior to game launch... within logic and reason, of course. ;)

Well I know Rogier left Eorzea, just before the battle of cartenaue, headed for the southern Islands. He spent the five years following that doing research and for a brief period searching for his father. He will only just be getting back to Eorzea for the first time in five years at the start of ARR. so if anyone would be venturing to the south of Eorzea they may have met him in passing.

Okay so - I have skimmed this thread and am super, super sorry if I've missed anything important but I was asked to join in and I figured it would be rude not to show up! Also super sorry, I kind of tl;dred this a lot!

Cendrillonne (aka 'Braids') is clanless, with whatever stigma that has. Her mother left her clan long before she was born, wanting to see the world. The arguments over this desire to see the world resulted in not being able to go back. Braids doesn't know the details. Hell, until she wandered out of her cave she wasn't really aware that she was supposed to have a clan in the first place.

Her mother went to Ala Mhigo seeking her fortune. Found it, for a while. Got married, had one kid. In a display of spectacular timing, she managed to go into labour with her second child while she, her husband and her firstborn were trying to flee their burning home. Braids was named for this incident (Cendrillon means 'little ashes'. I added an 'ne' to fit naming conventions) because the only thing her father managed to say to her before he was separated from them was laughing about his 'ash girl'.

Her mother had had quite enough of big cities and seeing the world. Unable to go back to her clan, they instead settled into a cave on the outskirts of what would become Little Ala Mhigo. And for a long, long time, Braids never left this area. The bitterness of the Ala Mhigan refugees and her mother's own belief that she should have never left the safety of her clan's cave left her content to stay in her cave, despite the fact that there were really no children her age. They weren't well off - none of the refugees ever were. Eventually her older sibling came of age and, despite their mother's warnings, left for the city themselves to find work. They sent money back home and things started improving. They had money. They could afford proper meals rather than just whatever food they could scramble together, as well as a basic education for Braids. For a few years, things got better and better. Braids never wanted to leave Little Ala Mhigo, but she was developing skills and maybe one day she could make it a better place.

And then Bahamut decided to throw a big hissyfit. RUDE. Her mother died, a lot of people in Little Ala Mhigo were hurt and needed help and she forgot her sibling.

You'll notice I've been very vague about sibling. The reason for this is that they're a friend's abandoned V1 character, and so became a Warrior of Light during the Bahamut mess. She can't remember a thing about them. Incidentally, this is also why I'm using a nickname instead of a family name. Since she shared a family name with her sibling, that's gone too. It's something like reverse heroic amnesia - instead of the hero forgetting everything, she's gone and forgotten the hero.

There's nothing like the end of an era and a little bit of a calamity to change one's outlook and seeing all of the pain that Bahamut caused, as well as the knowledge that her forgotten sibling had become a Warrior of Light, was enough to change Braids. Almost overnight she changed from a mousy seamstress with a great fear of the outside and a bitter streak a mile wide into a kind and spirited young woman who wanted nothing more than to make things easier for everyone and live up to what her forgotten sibling achieved.

She left eventually, because it's hard to make a living on good cheer alone and the cities had work. She headed to Gridania first, which turned out to be something of a poor idea. Nobody ever got around to warning her that Wildwood elezen aren't too fond of Duskwight. It was upsetting. She's still very, very wary of most Wildwood elezen. Aside from that, though, seeing the world has been THE MOST EXCITING THING TO EVER HAPPEN EVER. She's only become more cheerful, more spirited, more confident and more determined to make everyone happy as she's continued her travels. At some undefined point she joined what will eventually be the FC some friends are forming, a group of performers. She's significantly more enthusiastic about being an actress than she is good at it, but she's been travelling with them for a while and generally plays the big bad guys in their plays. Despite the fact that she's a scrawny blue idiot in a costume three sizes too big, nobody else is quite ridiculous enough to storm out on stage and yell I WILL KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN totally unironically. Eventually she wants to find her lost sibling, but that's pretty much in the same way that Ash Ketchum wants to be a pokemon master. Never happening (largely because I'm probably playing her on a non-legacy server so, you know. they won't actually exist).

TL;DR: Clanless, mousy seamstress turned ridiculously confident (bad) actress by the trauma of the end of the world. Lived in a cave most of her life, still finds everything that is not caves SUPER AMAZING. Wants to find her forgotten sibling. Very uncomfortable around wildwood elezen.

Sounds like a fairly unique and interesting back story, Raindrops :D. Hehe, yes, sorry for wrangling you over here to the Duskwight discussion...but it was for your own good, you know :P

If you are set to be playing with friends as you mentioned, which server are you all going to?

Right now it looks like we're headed to Gilgamesh, assuming it works smoothly on the beta. Sorry! It looks like a lot of people here are looking to be on Balmung but I really want the chance to see a fresh server.

Points up to considebalt There is at least one other Gilga DW here for you to run into durring the game!

but even if your not on blamung we are still happy to have you in the thread!

::thinks:: maybe we could even find common things that cross servers in our Lore (unless SE decides to toss us some more lore that throws a monkey wrench in this entire thread)

Aye, and with the possibility of server transfers a few weeks after launch it's always a good idea to keep an open mind. While I can certainly see the draw to a brand new server, that novelty may wear off in time and switching to another server to change things up will definitely be an option, but only if that's how you feel at that time. As much as I want more Duskwight friends I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm! But it's just something to consider down the road perhaps.

To kind of bring the thread back on topic a little bit [or at least help guide it away from ye olde server debacle], I was thinking about something earlier that I'd posted in another thread awhile back pertaining to the enhanced sense of hearing and cave lifestyle.

I don't know how other Duskwights RP the hearing thing exactly, but pertaining to Eva, she has a harder time picking out one voice in crowded areas or where there's a lot of background noise. Trying to endure this long enough will eventually result in her getting a headache. Moreover anything really high-pitched, or shrill will also aggravate her, particularly if it's enduring. For awhile there were a couple of aetherite nodes that were purple (where most of the rest were blue) - such as the one to get to the Bowl of Embers from 1.0. Eva would get a headache if she remained around it for more than just a few minutes because of the noise.

I've heard others suggest that duskwights might have better night vision than the other races/clans, but I've seen nothing in the lore to really substantiate this other than the assumption that their eyesight might have adapted over a long period of time for low light conditions. Without anything directly referenced I've been hesitant to make any sort of assumption about her ability to see in the dark. She does suffer a minor case of hyperopia (farsightedness) enough such that she requires spectacles to read - which she does a lot. It's another of those things she's self-conscious about. Her father from the age of 30 or so suffered photophobia, having to wear shaded spectacles when going outdoors (and later in his life even indoors as well). I'm not sure if there's any lore basis for this or if it's even a duskwight thing or something specific to him, but it seemed worth making mention of as well. He would get terrible headaches after even only a few minutes of exposure to daylight - even on an overcast day.

That crossed my mind earlier today and I figured I'd throw it out there.

Another thing I've wondered - do you suppose we experience sunburn more easily than other clans? Given the paleness of her skin, I once stated after she moved to Ul'dah that she got a really bad sunburn, but this got me thinking about how even those duskwights with darker gray skin might face exposure to the sun.

Also any other interesting medical angles or conditions you think we might face as a result of being a duskwight?

I don't know how other Duskwights RP the hearing thing exactly, but pertaining to Eva, she has a harder time picking out one voice in crowded areas or where there's a lot of background noise.  Trying to endure this long enough will eventually result in her getting a headache.  Moreover anything really high-pitched, or shrill will also aggravate her, particularly if it's enduring.  For awhile there were a couple of aetherite nodes that were purple (where most of the rest were blue) - such as the one to get to the Bowl of Embers from 1.0.  Eva would get a headache if she remained around it for more than just a few minutes because of the noise.

I've heard others suggest that duskwights might have better night vision...

Another thing I've wondered - do you suppose we experience sunburn more easily than other clans?  Given the paleness of her skin, I once stated after she moved to Ul'dah that she got a really bad sunburn, but this got me thinking about how even those duskwights with darker gray skin might face exposure to the sun.

Also any other interesting medical angles or conditions you think we might face as a result of being a duskwight?

Regarding the hearing aspect, something I have been toying with is part of Rogiers appearance, his ears. I was thinking about making him play down the better hearing aspect and having his family be slightly deficient in that area(his fathers side, passed on to him). This could be resulting in his almost Hyur looking ears.

Anyone think I could get away with this lore wise? Also the LeCard family has been in very shallow caves for a long time now, more like using them as huts than something to get further down and away from the surface.

(also would be playing down night vision, though an interesting idea indeed)

As far as sunburn works, I suppose they could be more susceptible to sunburn, but that would be a question of how melanin affects skin tone in the different races. if it works the way it does IRL then the darker skinned DW would have more resistance to the sun, but if it works the opposite then yes DW would burn much easier.

I remember reading your comments about the enhanced hearing in the other thread, Eva. I think you manifest that aspect of Duskwight physiology in a realistic manner. I'd like to remember to work that sort of thing into Isobeau's role play as applicable. It's in the lore, why not work it into your character's repertoire of interesting things :) ?

LeCard makes a good point as far as the darker shades of Duskwight would have an increased resistance to the sun's effects (if it works the same way as it does here on Eorzea :) )...that's probably why you got a sunburn, Eva :P I do role play the fact that when possible, Isobeau will choose to stand or rest in the shade, out of direct sunlight (and with her back against natural rock, preferably ;) )

I recall that discussion as well, Eva. Might have even participated... I forget. Lol

But seems there was a difference of opinion there: either dw's had really bad eyesight overall (I believe blind cave critters were referenced) or quite acute. My take is... Sensitivity. Like you and Izzy have mentioned. Photophobia- whether mild or severe... Would be logical. 

I did reference in my character story, how totally unaffected Chiané's grandfather is at being blind. Because of the acute hearing already lore confirmed, and the fact that when one loses a sense, the others become more acute.

Anyway, great discussion!

hehehe

But... but... I -like- them!

Meanwhile... Twin! *waves* did you want us to sent in pictures for our Clan relatives for your genealogy?

ALSO!!!

Do you need any more info?

Lastly... are we planning any kind of IC DW 'group' get-together to just... yanno... get to know those that we might be IC calling on for 'assistance' at some point in time, maybe?

The sun sensitivity is a interesting idea. I was thinking about that the other day actually. If most DW's do stay underground/shaded area would they be effected by the sun differently or even have issues seeing in certain lighting without adjusting properly. 

Wish there was more lore confirming some of this though.

Meanwhile... Twin! *waves* did you want us to sent in pictures for our Clan relatives for your genealogy?

Yes! If you wanted to provide me your character's direct genealogy, I could definitely add that to the Duskwight tree I was working on. Go as crazy as you want on that. If I need any more information on a clan, I'll send a PM to that player. It's been awhile since I worked on this cause life happened, but I'll see if I can squeeze in some time before launch. I'm moving cross-country next week so yeah. x_x

I think a meeting would be a great idea. And, I had been wondering about the Dusky LS myself. There were a couple LSes I had meant to join during open beta that I couldn't find, and this was one of them.

for any meeting we plan I would suggest that we wait at least until the second day of EA if not until launch itself. This would give people time to finish any OOC work that didn't get done due to errors. it would also let people RP getting into town and actually meeting someone that could direct them to said meeting( I know for Rogier at least it would be very odd for him to randomly have knowledge of a DW group when he has been back in Eorzea for maybe a week).

but with that said, count me in!