Hipparion tribe - organization & discussion

I've been bullied and abused into joining by Clover (K'mih Yohko) and K'nahli, it was rather harrowing. (They were actually extremely nice, but that's now how we're remembering it.) 

In short, I'm your regular Miqo'te Tia, primarily a hunter (Rolling as an Archer) Middle aged, fitting in the 20 - 40 bracket to sit around 22ish. Still a youngin' but not entirely so! I'm quite familiar with the lore as it stands, I've already read the entirety of the Hipparion Tribe wiki page, as for my -own- wiki page, that is in the works right now.. I just want to write it all out and tweak before I smack it up. I'm naturally a worry wort and constantly nervous about this sort of thing, so I apologize if I come off as stepping on broken glass. 

Long story short; Clover and K'nahi convinced me to dive at the chance of being a part of the Hipparion Tribe, K'nahi said I was cleared, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! So, I took the liberty of messaging Naunet already as well.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bullied and abused into joining by Clover (K'mih Yohko) and K'nahli, it was rather harrowing. (They were actually extremely nice, but that's now how we're remembering it.) 

In short, I'm your regular Miqo'te Tia, primarily a hunter (Rolling as an Archer) Middle aged, fitting in the 20 - 40 bracket to sit around 22ish. Still a youngin' but not entirely so! I'm quite familiar with the lore as it stands, I've already read the entirety of the Hipparion Tribe wiki page, as for my -own- wiki page, that is in the works right now.. I just want to write it all out and tweak before I smack it up. I'm naturally a worry wort and constantly nervous about this sort of thing, so I apologize if I come off as stepping on broken glass. 

Long story short; Clover and K'nahi convinced me to dive at the chance of being a part of the Hipparion Tribe, K'nahi said I was cleared, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! So, I took the liberty of messaging Naunet already as well.

!! An archer.... *-*

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say thanks for having me, but I'm not sure if my idea on how Seto would fit into the tribes history now since things have changed OOC. My partner isn't going to play his brother now, and where as I liked the idea of a link to the tribe due to his brother's history, it may just be too confusing to set up now.

I'm going to bow out, but I do hope to meet you guys in the game and see how things turn out for you all! I'll still be watching as I think you guys have a really good idea!

(Didn't want to leave the chat as you guys are all pretty decent to talk/listen to but didn't want to confuse things. ><)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, back finally :D managed to read through the rest of the thread while I and managed to pm a reply to Khaze'to while I was underway. I finalized some ideas while on watch and whittling away hours till we pulled back into port.

K'mana Haaz (figured K'raqi has enough mates already, :P and could use a few more sisters) Early 20s/Late Teens

She is a arcanist, though I may focus on crafting. She is at home in the wilderness during her trial she refused to make her kill and immediately departed on her foraging. I am unsure whether she has completed her task yet. Her love is archeology and history, specifically tied to the tribe. The lore of places they have settled and lived, but more than anything she seeks out members of the tribe, whether estranged or forgotten, shunned or otherwise, she feels a constant drive to keep tabs on the once or still members of the tribe that have drifted away or been lost to the chaos, seeker and keeper alike. Though she loves digging through history she feels the blood and family are stronger than tradition and would love to see the splintered tribe reunited, though this is a wish she keeps to herself and does not voice often.

but more than anything she seeks out members of the tribe, whether estranged or forgotten, shunned or otherwise, she feels a constant drive to keep tabs on the once or still members of the tribe that have drifted away or been lost to the chaos, seeker and keeper alike. 

Oh. Goody. :3 The two of us have some RP in our future, then.

http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/155505/Hipparion-Tribe/

I worked up a timeline its a work in progress because I only mostly had ages to go by from the wiki's linked from the tribal page, feel free to PM with dates or events you would like to add.

Deaths, Time people left the tribe, or nunh challenges and the like xD; I'll cram it all into the time line.

Blue-Namedays (most people have these for the birthday, not the 5yr ceremony)

Green-Nunh's Reign (very approximate, mostly based on births right now)

Red-World Events

Purple-Release day-present

*Edit: I will be gone this week, will be back this weekend and should be able to update stuff then if you PM me anything.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the timeline right, but K'thalen's "reign", so to speak, would have begun before or around the same time as K'haaz, as they're in the same generation... right? Anti and him were roughly the same age.

*stares* This is going to take some figuring out. xD Awesome, though!

Not sure if Khaze has passed it along, but me and him worked on in the skype channel that Xha'li's dad failed his hunt and was found wandering in the desert by Xha's adventuring party(or he stumbled into their camp, not sure which).  When Xha retired shortly afterwards he returned to her village with her and stayed there until Xha'li and Xha'to were 3 before vanishing from their back story. This would put him in the same generation as Khaze'to.  Once he left Xha 15 years ago you can do with him what you will.

Right, so i've been eyeing this thread since it very much has to do with how I RP my own character, there might be a few problems though and i'm not sure if you guys are okay with it which is why i'll post this

Firstly, because I looked into the RP aspect of miqo'te -after- I made him, my name is not entirely correct though I have him introduce himself slightly differently ingame. His display name is Athir, but he introduces himself as K'athir. Not a big deal, right?

More importantly though, I took the "last name" (it's actually a title, since males don't use last names as far as I know) of Nunh, I didn't know what that signified when I made the character but I -have- made it a part of the character and it's very strongly related to his identity/behaviour. That is to say, he is a very traditional miqo'te whom is a bit of a father protective type. aka he is a gentle and even humorous giant but stern when it comes to certain things, mostly breaking traditions of the tribe he is against.

Which can be anything from (if it relates to him) not respecting those under the wing of a Nunh, or worse, endangering them, to things like leaving the tribe which he very much see's as abandoning your family and friends. It represents a lack of care, selfishness, recklessness in his eyes. Even worse if it's a male that wants to become a Nunh by doing so, because that one is weak and did not respect the tradition of challenging another Nunh and thus be actually deserving of being one.

To clarify, I don't RP him being that to assume any kind of leadership role (Nunh generally don't become leaders anyway. It's just something you are or are not) It's just fitting of him, and part of him. It brings interesting RP in my opinion in that he's so much on the traditions of the tribe. He already convinced one tribeless (born tribeless that is, else he might have a problem with them) of the worth of having such a family by simply talking what it means to be in one, what you gain. How good life is knowing that you always have those close to you and those you can trust and rely on, as even the strongest need a helping hand at one point or another.

TL;DR is there any problem with me RPing him a Nunh? Because it's rather important to his character. If not-- add me ingame. Character name is "Athir Nunh" looking forward to RPing with you lot

Patience. People have other things to do besides forum dwelling, you know. Specially now that the game's actually out. Not to mention they might be thinking before answering.

I don't particularly see the problem of you being a nunh, per se, but people might want to see how many nunh are actually around at present (I think there's two already) and decide if the tribe is large enough to accomodate more than that. Of course, I guess you could always drop a lot of off-screen non player characters and justify it that way.

Mr Bear, you are quite welcome to call yourself Nunh but you are not part of our tribe correct, because our tribe is a very particular portion of the K tribe and does not encompass all K miqo'te in anyway.  We do not represent all k' miqo'te and would be loath to do so.  If you wanted to be part of the tribe we can work you in but you couldn't be one of the Nunh without challenging one of the current Nunh or taking part in an upcoming event yet to be announced.

Patience. People have other things to do besides forum dwelling, you know. Specially now that the game's actually out. Not to mention they might be thinking before answering.

I don't particularly see the problem of you being a nunh, per se, but people might want to see how many nunh are actually around at present (I think there's two already) and decide if the tribe is large enough to accomodate more than that. Of course, I guess you could always drop a lot of off-screen non player characters and justify it that way.

Aye, aye, fair enough. I'm usually more patient but the issue was important to me :P Thank you for the reply anyway.

and yeah, officially a Nunh has 10 up to 50 under his wing, but i'm guessing to have 50 you need to be a very influential Nunh or very desirable, how one would manage all those 50 females would be stressing to say the least. I think most Nunh would be below the 50 number which would accomodate a few more Nunh in this particular tribe if people so desire to play one. Just be sure to RP all the duties of a Nunh, aka caring and keeping an eye out for those under your wing amongst others.

That brought a interesting idea to mind too. This very likely won't be the case for my character but what if a Nunh goes bad? Like you have a Nunh that gets a bit too self important and disrupts the cohesiveness of the family, the tribe, by being disrespectfull of those under his care? I might imagine a Kia might challenge him, but then again what if there is no Kia capable enough to do so? Would the leadership step in or would another Nunh challenge him for his lack of honor and respect? (this is assuming the Hipparion tribe is honorable, but i'm guessing we are?) What would be the result of that Nunh winning, would he just get the ones under the care of that other Nunh or would they get to decide on that. It seems to me the Miqo'te are equal enough to have females decide themselves, though in this particular case they might go with the Nunh that obviously stood up for them as that represents some good qualities. This is assuming the Nunh defeated is also cast down from his position by having been beaten by another Nunh ofcourse.

((P.S. Am I the only one that gets half tempted to just type in "Alpha male" everytime when speaking of Nunh? They are almost exactly like them in behaviour and what they do, except they aren't actual leaders or leader of the tribe))

Actually, people have made a wiki page for the Hipparion tribe right here. It's the result of discussion over chat and this same thread (I wasn't present for the chat). It includes a fancy genealogic tree including most (or all, maybe) player characters. I'm not sure if there has been any additions since it was last updated. Numbers might be a bit misleading at first glance because not every character in the tree has a player behind.

I suggest you give it a read so you get to familiarize with that people have stablished up until now.

Mr Bear, you are quite welcome to call yourself Nunh but you are not part of our tribe correct, because our tribe is a very particular portion of the K tribe and does not encompass all K miqo'te in anyway.  We do not represent all k' miqo'te and would be loath to do so.  If you wanted to be part of the tribe we can work you in but you couldn't be one of the Nunh without challenging one of the current Nunh or taking part in an upcoming event yet to be announced.

Ah, that's unfortunate then. It is too much part of his character for me to retcon it just to join your particular section of the Hipparion tribe. I do wish you luck though and good fun, it's good that you people made something to represent the Hipparion tribe (or a part of it anyway) so that kind of RP can be had plenty.

I'll not join it then, but i'll still consider him a part of the tribe in general. THAT SAID, if any of you wish to RP with me I implore you to contact me, i'm always up for more RP. Athir Nunh being my display name ingame. Seeing as we would be part of the same tribe we could make a deal of sorts to say you know my character in some way (up to you, if at all, how much you know the character.)

Erm in our tribe at least (one small portion of the K tribe, others might be less honourable) the females would refuse to mate with him and the tribe would boot him out quite quickly if he if went as far downhill as you say, with the ratio of males to females there are going to be quite a number of very capable females who are able to stand their ground, specially with numbers on their side.  Not to mention any Tia (not Kia) who wish to throw him to the ground.

Also we would be quite happy to RP with you as a member of another branch, just be prepared for tribal differences to cause conflict, however it would be nice to see the different side of things.

Quick question through, how are you dealing with the fact that a Nunh that leaves the tribal area and his females to go adventuring probably won't stay Nunh for long?

...That brought a interesting idea to mind too. This very likely won't be the case for my character but what if a Nunh goes bad? Like you have a Nunh that gets a bit too self important and disrupts the cohesiveness of the family, the tribe, by being disrespectfull of those under his care? I might imagine a Kia might challenge him, but then again what if there is no Kia capable enough to do so? Would the leadership step in or would another Nunh challenge him for his lack of honor and respect?...

I snipped from your post because (even though this isn't strictly pertinent to the Hipparion tribe thing going on here) this is actually a key point explored in my character's backstory :) In short, I imagine it would be very, very messy, especially if the nunh is influential or otherwise has power beyond his normal duties. It's potentially even worse if he still enjoys the support of those he sired ("Yeah, he's an awful bastard, but he's also my father!").

Erm in our tribe at least (one small portion of the K tribe, others might be less honourable) the females would refuse to mate with him and the tribe would boot him out quite quickly if he if went as far downhill as you say, with the ratio of males to females there are going to be quite a number of very capable females who are able to stand their ground, specially with numbers on their side.  Not to mention any Tia (not Kia) who wish to throw him to the ground.

Also we would be quite happy to RP with you as a member of another branch, just be prepared for tribal differences to cause conflict, however it would be nice to see the different side of things.  

Quick question through, how are you dealing with the fact that a Nunh that leaves the tribal area and his females to go adventuring probably won't stay Nunh for long?

Another branch? tribal differences? I am RPing him to be part of the same tribe, mind you. Not a different tribe. Nor a dishonorable part of the tribe (I can't imagine there being dishonorable and honorable branches in the same tribe. It would tear the tribe apart and they would rather make their own tribe in that case. One of the rare cases where that might actually work and the new tribe wouldn't die off)

As for that part, I RP him to indeed having accepted that to a part. His wandering however is to gain experiences and lessons that will be valuable upon his return to the tribe, as well as seeking out tribeless born (he'd have problems with one that left a tribe in their lifetime. It implies several things, and none of them good.) to tell them of the tribe if he deems them decent enough and if he thinks they might try to fit in.

He already has a following of sorts, actually. Gathered through RP, nice conversations and adventures. In that i consider him to still be worthy as a Nunh, and he remains to act like one. (the looking out part for those he considers under his wing anyway.) Upon his return he'll take atleast one of them (confirmed) with him and there are more potentials in sight. If he has enough he might just be able to re-assume the title of a Nunh if there are enough females amongst them, without having to challenge a Nunh. (a bit unorthodox but he has already proven himself before) If by then (or at all. if his females were particularly loyal somehow) he has lost his status of Nunh there that is.

...That brought a interesting idea to mind too. This very likely won't be the case for my character but what if a Nunh goes bad? Like you have a Nunh that gets a bit too self important and disrupts the cohesiveness of the family, the tribe, by being disrespectfull of those under his care? I might imagine a Kia might challenge him, but then again what if there is no Kia capable enough to do so? Would the leadership step in or would another Nunh challenge him for his lack of honor and respect?...

I snipped from your post because (even though this isn't strictly pertinent to the Hipparion tribe thing going on here) this is actually a key point explored in my character's backstory :) In short, I imagine it would be very, very messy, especially if the nunh is influential or otherwise has power beyond his normal duties. It's potentially even worse if he still enjoys the support of those he sired ("Yeah, he's an awful bastard, but he's also my father!").

I can see that happen yes, a Nunh being dishonorable to an extent but already having breeded dedicated family (beside the family that the tribe in general should be in his eyes) might bring certain conflicts with other parts of the tribe.

This might have to be settled with a ritual challenge of sorts, but it's a unknown how messy this can get. It depends on the offending Nunh. The absolute worst that could happen in my characters eyes is that it brings such a schism that it would lead to the banishment of that particular Nunh, but that Nunh still would have loyal females that might go with him.

Mind you this is very unlikely, in my eyes the tribes consider others in their tribe family. To leave that...how selfish, reckless, and unworthy must you be? It proves that you can't keep a family. That you just slapped away the hands that tried to help you.

I can see that happen yes, a Nunh being dishonorable to an extent but already having breeded dedicated family (beside the family that the tribe in general should be in his eyes) might bring certain conflicts with other parts of the tribe.

This might have to be settled with a ritual challenge of sorts, but it's a unknown how messy this can get. It depends on the offending Nunh

Exactly. And given that S'janna's tribe (well, the portion of the Zu tribe she lived with) was quite small to begin with... well, it only makes having a bad nunh (who is also the only nunh) that much worse. As of when Janna left/ran away, the group was sort of in an uneasy peace, where no one really wanted to bring about the large-scale disruption attempting to cast down the nunh might have wrought. Of course, she doesn't know what (if anything) has happened since she left- but the last act that drove her to leave in the first place was the nunh killing a young tia who'd challenged him in a 'heat of the moment' type situation. The kid was so far outclassed it was a joke, but the nunh didn't hold back at all either.

EDIT: Whoops, saw that I'd missed part of your post. Ironically the last part of what you mentioned (about loyal females leaving with a disgraced nunh) was sort of how Janna's tribe got started, only the nunh was just a charismatic tia at the time. I definitely agree that that's a possible outcome in such a situation, because you have those family ties that you might be loathe to lose, even if it makes you look bad by leaving.

This might have to be settled with a ritual challenge of sorts, but it's a unknown how messy this can get. It depends on the offending Nunh

Exactly. And given that S'janna's tribe (well, the portion of the Zu tribe she lived with) was quite small to begin with... well, it only makes having a bad nunh (who is also the only nunh) that much worse. As of when Janna left/ran away, the group was sort of in an uneasy peace, where no one really wanted to bring about the large-scale disruption attempting to cast down the nunh might have wrought. Of course, she doesn't know what (if anything) has happened since she left- but the last act that drove her to leave in the first place was the nunh killing a young tia who'd challenged him in a 'heat of the moment' type situation. The kid was so far outclassed it was a joke, but the nunh didn't hold back at all either.

Huh, we should RP sometime. I can imagine that being a interesting point of RP

Absolutely! It's one of the cornerstones of Janna's RP and who she is today. Of course, I can also see there being some good arguing between them because of Janna essentially walking away from her tribe- with a child no less.

Absolutely! It's one of the cornerstones of Janna's RP and who she is today. Of course, I can also see there being some good arguing between them because of Janna essentially walking away from her tribe- with a child no less.

Probably. He's a gentle giant though, but hard to explain really the details of his personality and ways. I'll simply look forward to RPing more tribe related things ^^ so far it has proven fun and enjoyable. It's also nice explaining things from his point of view regarding that (quite good at it, actually. He makes it sound very sensible even to tribeless born)

Another branch? tribal differences? I am RPing him to be part of the same tribe, mind you. Not a different tribe. Nor a dishonorable part of the tribe (I can't imagine there being dishonorable and honorable branches in the same tribe. It would tear the tribe apart and they would rather make their own tribe in that case. One of the rare cases where that might actually work and the new tribe wouldn't die off)

Erm another branch is the same thing as a different section of the tribe, still teh K tribe but in a different family grouping of it.  If you start saying you represent all ways of the tribe people are not going to be very happy.  I also never suggested that the particular branch you come from is dishonourable just that their might be branches that are.

Of course if to different branches come together they might not share all the same values as each other.  It doesn't mean that they are not the same tribe but it would cause strife.  For instance if you came along and introduced yourself as a Nunh in your current state as an adventurer this particular portion of the tribe would likely laugh in your face asking where you keep your females (IC of course, we welcome the rp and new friends on the server ooc)