Hipparion tribe - organization & discussion

This thread is intended for members of the Hipparion (K) Seekers of the Sun tribe on Balmung.

First, here are previous threads that led to the creation of this one:

1. RPing Miqo'te Tribes, with server poll
  2. Choosing a Seeker Tribe, with letter poll and family tree beginnings

Trying to pick up on loose ends of the other threads, I'll make a list of stuff we could do at this point to help us get going.

To-Do List:

1. organize an "official" linkshell thread
  2. complete family tree, find connections between player characters and NPCs, figure out how everybody is related
  3. create some kind of collaborative space where every member can update/edit their info in - maybe a wiki article here on RPC? If not, a Google docs?
  4. potentially have a Skype text chat for keeping up in real time?
  5. answer "lore" questions - see list below

Lore Questions:

• What is the status of the hipparion, the creature? Do they still exist or not? Leftover from ancient times when the K tribe was born?
  • What is the role of nunhs in this tribe? What are their responsibilities besides makin' babies - are they active parents or no?
  • any other questions you want to add!

Feel free to add any points anywhere, pose more questions, etc. I tried to organize my thoughts and what I read in the other thread, but I'm sure there's leftover info.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for making this Growly Beast, I know I'm only an offshoot of the family but woo thread.

I think the idea of a wiki page is a good one if we are able to do it, could link to all the different characters and have the family tree nice and clear.  The Skype chat could be good as well, I've enjoyed having access to the constant chat and it is a great tool to work out rp issues and the like.

I hope you don't mind but I really liked the idea of the tribe being great spear users as Growly Beast had in his original tribe. I've kinda worked it into my own history to a point.

Also It would be useful for me to know how the tribe would react to finding out that their displaced Nunh not only went out and made a new family but with a Keeper as well.  Both as a tribal whole and how individuals would react.

Anyway lets make this tribe live people.

I hope you don't mind but I really liked the idea of the tribe being great spear users as Growly Beast had in his original tribe.  I've kinda worked it into my own history to a point.

Um... would you mind some exceptions? ^^"

I hope you don't mind but I really liked the idea of the tribe being great spear users as Growly Beast had in his original tribe.  I've kinda worked it into my own history to a point.

Um... would you mind some exceptions? ^^"

Of course not, Could easily have there being a tradition of great spear users alongside other methods, and there is nothing to stop someone playing someone clumsy. you go right ahead with your exception ^_^

Thank you for opening this thread! I'll divide my reply in several points, as I think it's getting too long (^^;

About my character's family.

I just know that my Miqo'te's father was K'Yohko Nunh, and her mother is a random female Miqo'te NPC who won't have much importance (she'll be there, doing her Miqo'te things and giving my character some motherly advice).

About her father, he can be dead, I don't mind. Unless you want another Nunh in the tribe other than your own character. His existence as an NPC could perhaps serve for any Tia player who wants to become a Nunh; they could always challenge / kill K'yohko and take his spot?

About hipparion.

Ummm... I personally find it logical to assume that they no longer exist for several reasons, but I wouldn't venture on matters that haven't been fully covered by the lore. It could cause conflict with other players who want to fill the holes with their own ideas. All we know for certain is that at least there isn't any in Eorzea (unless I misunderstood). I think I'll simply avoid talking much about hipparion ingame.

About lancers.

I had planned my character to be a marauder ;_;

My idea was that this tribe could be famous for its spears users, which are the majority, but that not everyone uses that weapon.

Here are my thoughts and some revised character history about the hipparion creature as a "theme" of the tribe.

From what I gather, in real life the hipparion is a paleolithic horse that had 3 toes and stripes, and hung out in plains and other open areas. Also in real life, tribes usually name themselves based upon what they hunted or utilized a lot in their daily life.

Since the Hipparion tribe dwells mainly in the desert, I'm thinking of combining the idea of the traditional hipparion with the oryx, of which some subspecies dwell in the desert, like the scimitar oryx. There are currently no visuals that I can find of hipparions in any Final Fantasy game - so for something to look at, I think I'm gonna try to draw them, combining these two real life animals.

500x371http://www.adias-uae.com/logatham/hipparion-fig9-8.jpg[/img]

"Real" Hipparion

500x369http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Flickr_-_Rainbirder_-_Beisa_Oryx_%28Oryx_beisa%29.jpg[/img]

Oryx

As for behavior of the tribe, here is my idea: the Hipparion tribe, historically, was known for herding / riding hipparion, utilizing them for food and a nomadic lifestyle in the desert, as well as combining flashy spear / axe / thrown weapon techniques with their mounted advantage to hunt (interesting note: dragoons in real life were initially mounted cavalry).

I think it's safe to say at some point the hipparion became extinct, but the lifestyle of the tribe remained similar - still using spears / axes, but no longer with the aid of being mounted or being able to herd animals for food. I think they could easily be both known for dragoon and marauder-type techniques.

As for behavior of the tribe, here is my idea: the Hipparion tribe, historically, was known for herding / riding hipparion, utilizing them for food and a nomadic lifestyle in the desert, as well as combining flashy spear / axe / thrown weapon techniques with their mounted advantage to hunt (interesting note: dragoons in real life were initially mounted cavalry).

I think it's safe to say at some point the hipparion became extinct, but the lifestyle of the tribe remained similar - still using spears / axes, but no longer with the aid of being mounted or being able to herd animals for food. I think they could easily be both known for dragoon and marauder-type techniques.

I think this is a very nice idea and a good way to tie things together.  Looking forward to seeing your version of a Hipparion.  I also liked the idea of small carvings and things being part of the current culture.

I'm kind of interested in joining the tribe with an alt, but I can't make sense of the family tree which makes it harder to figure out a name or connection to the tribe. If somebody wants a sibling or child or whatever added to their part of the family bramble, please let me know.

Ok so I was looking at the family tree's posted by Growly Beast and Naunet have made, whilst both make sense to a point there are issues with them as a whole when you look at both of them together and I think a little restructuring of current families might be needed as well as one person to try and keep it all in line. at least to a point.  And before we start RPing it.  Not all the family groups are going to work exactly as they are from an inbreeding stand point and then there is population explosion to deal with.  

A small group of us thought of one potential answer to keeping the population in check.  The tribe limits the amount of children to 1-2 per female and splits when she can give birth by a number of years, for example 12 years.  Now while this might have some repercussions to peoples stories I don't think its a major problem that should be met with a brick wall.    

Think of it like this;

One Nunh has 10 mates, each mate has 2 kids, that's 20 children to that Nunh.

we have 2 Nunh per generation already in the tribe so that's 40 children a generation,  even with some loss from accidental death and disease that's still a huge increase, if you didn't want to decimate an area you would have to travel a hell of a lot, and in the desert it would not take that long till there was nothing left.  

If a tribe brings new males from other tribes in to challenge the current Nunh then the inbreeding stops.  The New males could even adopt the K when they become part of the tribe.

As I said its one potential fix to the problem, sorting this out is going to require a little work but as long as we are all pulling in the same direction we can get it done.

Oh my. I've missed a lot! Thanks for starting a new thread. And doing... so much work!

So I spent way too long RPing last night. xD Woke up a couple hours ago and spent the past couple hours working on this:

dMvJ803.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dMvJ803.jpg

There are some kinks to work out - in addition to wanting pictures of those we don't have pictures of (where possible).

First off, K'mira's last name was initially Jira, however that would have meant that there would have been a nunh named K'jira. But in that generation, there are already two nunhs (K'jhanhi and K'fidar). Now, we could fix it as shown in the tree above, by switching K'mira's surname to Jhanhi, so that she was sired by K'jhanhi (therefore, the "K'jira Nunh" character wouldn't exist). Another way to work this is to have either K'mira's dad usurp one of the other nunhs, or have one of the other nunhs usurp K'mira's dad. For example, the theoretical K'jira may have beaten K'jhanhi in a fight, which would have knocked him out of nunh status. Either something like that, or K'jira mated and sired K'mira only to be beaten out by K'jhanhi. In all this, I imagine K'fidar was the nunh who came in to fill the void left by the individual who broke off from the tribe to interbreed with Keepers (far right).

In the third tier of generations, we have three nunhs, which seems like a lot for the size of the tribe. K'thalen is dead, but he only died five years ago, which isn't a long enough time for a new nunh to take his place, have kids, and then for those kids to have kids. So something has to have happened further in the past. Now Growly, I'm not sure how attached you are to K'haaz and K'bashir, but I propose that at some point one of these two guys died - perhaps to a sandworm attack, or he got sick, or something - /or/ he lost his nunh status after siring K'maki, K'nuru, and K'miwsher when beaten in combat by K'thalen. Which do you think would make more sense for him?

Aside from that, the only question left is really where K'mih, K'nahli, and their parents fit in.

[edit] It's missing Domos's character, K'ahna Tia. Uhm. He'd be in the third tier somewhere!

Okay, so my brain hurts after working on this tree for the past couple hours. I'm going to take a break and then come back to this thread fresh-thoughted. xD

I'm totally fine with letting go of K'jira and combining him with somebody. And you can kill off K'bashir, if you like - if it's really necessary, both of them can go. The only characters I'm attached to are his mom (K'ali Fidar) and his first daughter (K'ali Araqi), and I suppose her mom (K'maki Bashir). Feel free to shift around the rest or kill them off as you like. xD

I am growlybeast on Skype. Not at home right now, but I will be in a few hours, so feel free to add me or add me to a chat. Or I can make it when I get home as well.

Note: for those of you who don't want to give our your real name, you can always edit your Skype display name, or make another account for FFXIVRP.

I'm up for chatting in skype. Add netnau (yes, it's just Naunet mixed up - but it was amusing at the time! Cause "net", "internet", it's an online... okay, I'll shut up xD) and just poke me!

@Growly: The oryx is one of my favorite desert creatures, so combining with the real world Hipparion to create a Hydaelyn version of one makes me very happy. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I'm also cool with sticking with the idea of the tribe being known for its spear hunting. Hunting features prominently in the backstory of a couple of Anti's kids, and it makes Anti's own distaste/fear for the act a bit more notable. Incidentally, no one should worry that their character has to be skilled at hunting - obviously there are plenty of different roles within a tribe besides hunter!

Oi, don't worry to much about fitting K'ahna in there, if need be, I'll figure out his entire family back to his grandparents unless he is taken in by one of the other character's Nunh.

Also, skype name is shadowseikou, will be on a bit today before I have to pack and leave until sunday.

Is it too late to inquire about joining you guys? I don't have a miqo'te yet, but I would like one at some point.

Never too late!

@Domos: We can work you in easily. In the interest of trying to keep things simple, K'ahna could be the son of a mating between K'thalen and another female in the tribe - how's that sound?

If it's not too much trouble, K'mih and K'nahli shared K'yohko as their father but have different birth mothers. I believe it doesn't matter to K'mih who her mother is but I'll supply you with a name for K'nahli's at least so long as this is no issue.

Um... is there anything else I should do to help fit everything together?

Is it too late to inquire about joining you guys? I don't have a miqo'te yet, but I would like one at some point.

Never too late!

Yay!

Well, I have no idea who I would play or where she would fit, so I'll just offer myself as someone's mother, sister, daughter, whatever.

Never too late!

Yay!

Well, I have no idea who I would play or where she would fit, so I'll just offer myself as someone's mother, sister, daughter, whatever.

That's rather ambiguous though O.o Don't you have a particular age group or setting that you'd like? I applaud your willingness to adapt to our interests but it is your character after all.

Edit: How about K'nihqa?(as K'nahli's mother that is)

Ah, I didn't think my character's mother would be important, since she's just a random NPC.

Her mother's name could be K'mihgazu (taken from the Japanese name creator *laughs*), and her hast name should be... uh... Haaz? Bashir? I wouldn't want to waste a hairstyle on her, so I won't give her any looks.

As for K'mih (my chara), she's looking like this so far from the beta, but I *might* change her appearance. I'm still thinking about it.

The only thing that will likely not change is her pink colour.

tumblr_mpu40lbQnl1sa36iko2_1280.jpg