Hipparion tribe - organization & discussion

Incidentally, no one should worry that their character has to be skilled at hunting - obviously there are plenty of different roles within a tribe besides hunter!

My character was going to be skilled in hunting but with fists and not weapons. Would that still be viable?

And I have no idea where she'd fit in the family tree, but she's full Seeker blood and a bit of an iconoclast.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now my current plans was to have my character be W'kailia, and probably on that server. But before I decide to join you guys I need to see what my friends will be doing, and if I'd rather make her a Keeper of the Moon or not. But there's a 50/50 chance I might join you guys, and if I do, I'd love for my char to have a sister or sibling. She'd be pretty young just so you know.

Right now my current plans was to have my character be W'kailia, and probably on that server. But before I decide to join you guys I need to see what my friends will be doing, and if I'd rather make her a Keeper of the Moon or not. But there's a 50/50 chance I might join you guys, and if I do, I'd love for my char to have a sister or sibling. She'd be pretty young just so you know.

There is room for that, I mean they would probably only be a half sister/brother due to how it works, same father different mother but plenty of space if you and your friends want to join.

There is room for that, I mean they would probably only be a half sister/brother due to how it works, same father different mother but plenty of space if you and your friends want to join.

Don't know if they will be making a miqo'te. Mostly we just plan to play on the same server. Also if I do end up joining she'd be K'kailia. Father would be open for assignment of course :)

Also I have skype kailia77. Feel free to add me. But I wont be able to chat till an apartment inspection is over later :)

Don't know if they will be making a miqo'te. Mostly we just plan to play on the same server. Also if I do end up joining she'd be K'kailia. Father would be open for assignment of course :)

Also I have skype kailia77. Feel free to add me. But I wont be able to chat till an apartment inspection is over later :)

I think what Kaze was pointing out is that there is a small branch of the family that did cross-breed with Keepers at one point, so if you want to play a Keeper and still be involved in the Hipparion tribe, there's a place for that.

Don't know if they will be making a miqo'te. Mostly we just plan to play on the same server. Also if I do end up joining she'd be K'kailia. Father would be open for assignment of course :)

I think what Kaze was pointing out is that there is a small branch of the family that did cross-breed with Keepers at one point, so if you want to play a Keeper and still be involved in the Hipparion tribe, there's a place for that.

Oh that's awesome! Yeah I am waiting for the appearance software to come out on the 1st, to see how she'd look as a keeper. If I can't reproduce that look, then she will stay a seeker :)

Oh that's awesome! Yeah I am waiting for the appearance software to come out on the 1st, to see how she'd look as a keeper. If I can't reproduce that look, then she will stay a seeker :)

Just to further the information on the Keepers branch of the family, there are a number of spaces available to people, two would require RP'ing warriors of light and are Khaze'to's elder brother and sister and two are Khaze'to's younger sisters.

Check the wiki in my sig if interested.

I think this is going rather well, so I'll let you guys keep talking about that.

What I did see was people worried about certain classes not fitting the tribe's backstory, so I'll ramble a bit about that.

Lancers and archers are probably mostly self-explanatory: when hunting, you want to keep your distance from the target. So it makes sense that the majority of the tribe would focus on those disciplines (the hunting parties, anyway). But other classes can fit well too. The simplest way is to say certain characters left the tribe to study in the Guilds, with the purpose of coming back later and teaching the others.

However, I think most classes can be explained without the need to have left the tribe. Remember than in ARR's universe, pretty much all classes have flashy magical skills, so some disciplines that wouldn't work in the real world would work in Eorzea because of...well, magic. That sounds like a poor argument, though, so let's try it without magic (in some cases, anyway). For instance:

- It's probable that hunters would be subject to some hand-to-hand combat training, in case their weapons break or are unavailable, so a puglicist could be a character who maybe wasn't so good with spears but who really liked punching people (and beasts, maybe) in the face.

- Conjurers can be explained as the healers of the tribe. However, along with Thaumaturges, they also have a very nice way to fit into hunting parties: slow spells. Both classes have access to spells that (as far as gameplay goes) slow down the targets. That would be really handy for hunting.

- Axes are better than spears to smash through a beasts caparace, and even better to cut them to pieces for easier transportation. That'd be a nice way to make Marauders fit: for dangerous or big beasts, the lancers could keep pressure against it to confuse it, while the Marauder found a vantage point from where to leap and axe it in the face. Or, if we want to keep the gameplay roles consistent with RP, maybe the Marauders where the ones who distracted the beasts while everybody else poke them to death with pointy sticks.

- Gladiators are a bit tricky, as swords aren't really made for hunting. The shields would come handy when a sandworm leapt out of its hole and tried to munch on the hunting party. So let's marry gameplay and roleplay and say some of the hunters carried shields so sandworms/whatever they hunted wouldn't murder their partners so easily.

- Arcanists are a bit trickier to explain because they seem to use arcane mathematics. But, luckily, I think Naunet's character is supposed to have dwelt in that, so other arcanists could have learnt from her. Or to go back to my first way to explain all classes: some left to learn at the Guilds before coming back (or not).

With all that said, lancers and archers are probably the most common choice of weapons because, again, when hunting you want to keep your target far away but in reach. Spears would also be good to poke at the sandworms nests, I'd say. But all classes can be in the tribe.

I'm honestly not very familiar with the lore, but I'd love to have my miquote to have some sort of family connection. I'm taking it they all start with K names? If so, my Kaloki might just fit in. If there's somebody that can fill me in more about how to get more involved in this project, I'd love to get involved.

I'm honestly not very familiar with the lore, but I'd love to have my miquote to have some sort of family connection. I'm taking it they all start with K names? If so, my Kaloki might just fit in. If there's somebody that can fill me in more about how to get more involved in this project, I'd love to get involved.

Hey, glad to see some interest, is Ildur has said the large percentage start with K' because we are organising a tribal based family group of Seekers of the sun that call the desert home.  If you were wanting to play a city based Miqo'te this works as we have a number of people who are playing as belonging to but disliking the tribe so they left for the city?  We do have some room for Keepers of the moon, its a little more complex to work it but it can be done.

What sort of character did you have mind, let us know and we can fit you in.

And Ildur, brilliant post on the class subject. Nicely put.  The only reason we had concentrated on the lance before if because dragoon hunting style before they came to the desert that we are adding to the history. Plenty of room for fighters of other classes, non fighters and magic users.

I was wondering, is anybody here 1.0 and has access to post on the Lore forums?

I have a burning question: what are the miqo'te words for the letters that don't match up with the Eorzean alphabet? For example, ours! Hipparion is K, also there's O for Mole, U for Drake, etc. What are these words?!

With that info, the characters could actually use the word - I imagine they'd definitely know, being Hipparions (hippies? hipsters?) themselves.

It is implied in some of the developer posts in those Lore forums that all racial languages have faded into obscurity or disuse (except for Roegadyn, who still use their language but -only- for naming their children).

What I'm thinking is that all races have lived together in Eorzea for so long that the languages fell into disuse or merged together into the modern language. This would have taken many centuries, mind, but Eorzea has a lot of eras in the calendar. It's not hard to assume that our nomadic tribe adopted the modern language so long ago as to make the old Miqo'te one meaningless.

I feel like the fact that they spend a lot of time to themselves in the desert would mean some preservation of the old language, particularly if there's a mismatch like K / Hipparion, and the fact that they already hold on to a lot of old ways being tribal as opposed to metropolitan. If roegadyn can remember enough of it to use for names, miqo'te could do just the same - but for their tribes. Somebody's got to remember the original name of their tribe...

But I am a history buff, and I don't like waving away things as old and forgotten. xD Somebody's got to know, like a character that's into history as well. I don't think it would hurt to try to ask them about these instances.

I have to agree with Growly here in that certain old phrases and words would be kept around even if only used by the tribal elders and any history buff characters.

Would be interesting to know if they exist at all or if we should try to come up with some.

On a side note the Wiki page for the clan has been updated, go and have a look at it here and let us know what you think, if you want to add anything please go ahead just don't remove or move anything.

To start, this is about a Sunseeker tribe. Sunseeker naming conventions are vastly different from Moonkeeper, so that's something to take into consideration depending on what clan you plan on playing!

Canonically, if you were in Sunseeker and a member of the Hipparion tribe, your character would be "K'aloki", which would be pronounced "Koo-Aloki". Sunseeker tribes are basically prefixes attached to their names. You could keep Kaloki as a given name, but in that would be pronounced "Koo-Kaloki".

This is just canon, however. Doesn't mean it's the law! You can find more information on Miqo'te naming convetions here.

Preservation of parts of the original language makes some sense, but we don't have enough information to do so. Anything we come up with might get trampled by lore, forcing us to retcon it at a later date. We'd have to come up with our own 'dialect', to name it in some way, but since there's hardly any good source of Miqo'te language anywhere, we'd be just making stuff up with no actual grounding in official lore. So if the real Miqo'te language ever comes up, we'd be in a lot of trouble to justify the inevitable huge differences between it and our dialect.

That's why I recommend against its use: we can't base it from actual lore. It would be purely speculative instead of interpretative or infered by the original text.

The original name of the tribe is the Hipparion Tribe. I don't see any reason to make another word for it. It would be meaningless and serve no practical purpose. Like changing the name 'tribe' to 'oonkla'. I would agree to use the original language if we had it. But since we don't, I don't see any compelling reason to use it. Hipparion is already kind of an obscure name, so why use an even stranger word to designate the tribe?

In fact, we can explain why the original name was lost: lack of use. The Eorzean language was more versatile and practical to use and, after many generations, it displaced the original language completely.

On an unrelated note: we have a wiki page! Wiiiii!

Aww seeing this thread has got me confused now I guess it's a good thing I haven't written my characters back story.  So far all I've got is Male Lancer sunseeker named D'jiihn Tia.  But now I have no idea how to explain my tribal beginnings. And I'm weary now of being a Dodo.

Aww seeing this thread has got me confused now I guess it's a good thing I haven't written my characters back story.  So far all I've got is Male Lancer sunseeker named D'jiihn Tia.  But now I have no idea how to explain my tribal beginnings. And I'm weary now of being a Dodo.

This thread is for K tribe stuff, unless you want to drop your D heritage and become one of us. In which case, your character would be K'jiihn Tia.

I guess I could have been more clear in expressing my interest in doing just that.  That's the problem with skimming forums on your phone at work.. 

I really like the idea of role playing a tribe and my character is still up in the air..  Would you be willing to fit me in as K'jiihn?I intend to work more on my characters back story and such tonight and this weekend.

Thats absolutely fine D'jiihn or should I call you K'jiihn :D, you were wanting to be a Tia yes? we have plenty of spaces for you, have you got a skype account so we can add you to the group?

Don't forget to check the Hipparion tribe wiki page (link in my sig) we are working on updating it all time.

Yes I suppose I'll have to change my username now. And I'll keep on top of that wiki page as well.  I don't have a Skype account but I will create one and send you the info after work today. And yes I'm looking to be a Tia.  It works great for me because I intended my character to be a hunter/gatherer a woodsman, if you will.  So this is just perfect.