Rate the person above you's name

I'm happy to give it a 9/10 - I can't really explain why, but it just seems to fit very well and feels like a name that'd belong in a Final Fantasy game.

My own character is called Theodric Ridgefield, a hyur highlander who took on his surname after an event in his past that forced him to be a lot more civilised and friendlier than he was before that point.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own character is called Theodric Ridgefield, a hyur highlander who took on his surname after an event in his past that forced him to be a lot more civilised and friendlier than he was before that point.

EDIT: I may have been pronouncing it wrong - the surname that is. Mind giving me a pronunciation for it?

I'd give it a 7/10 simply because it doesn't roll off the tongue so smooth. It is a great name though. Don't let my rating get you down! ^ ^ I like it because of the first name. The surname, not so much.

My turn, right?

Penelope Rundall is my character's name! Do your worst! :evil:

My turn, right?

This is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Penelope is both a common name and one that is rarely used anymore. Add Rundall into the mix and I really enjoy the flow. 8-)

I suppose I am up:

Mars Irvo

Pronounced - (Mars Er'voe)

Given Name - Named Mars for being born under the fiery red sky of a blood moon.

Surname - Abandoned on the steps of a monastery, Mars adopted the name Irvo from his caretaker and father figure, Abbot Irvo.

For a visualization, this is him:

d9ga.png

I had to come up with a new name for my my soon to be plainsfolk. What do you all think of the name, Korin Orrin? The first name is Latin in origin and means spear. The second is Gaelic and means pale little green one. Together they end up fitting the naming conventions for plainsfolk, and it is also remarkably similar to a tarutaru NPCs name in ffxi.

I had to come up with a new name for my my soon to be plainsfolk. What do you all think of the name, Korin Orrin? The first name is Latin in origin and means spear. The second is Gaelic and means fair little green one. Together they end up fitting the naming conventions for plainsfolk, and it is also remarkably similar to a tarutaru NPCs name in ffxi.

I was going to give Momoji a 10/10 because the combo sounds so friggin cute. But I'll give you 9.5/10 For Korrin Orrin because of the Gaelic.

<-----Irish

Alright I'll dish.

Swyrbhrat Syhrberksyn

307x382http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w611/dubs10/angrymeat_zps6b8bc5bc.png[/img]

In common tongue it's "Big Meat son of Fearless Mountain". Yes he is both a Maurader and a Chef.

Alright I'll dish.

Swyrbhrat Syhrberksyn

307x382http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w611/dubs10/angrymeat_zps6b8bc5bc.png[/img]

In common tongue it's "Big Meat son of Fearless Mountain". Yes he is both a Maurader and a Chef.

Well. I know very little about these sorts of names but I'll give you my honest opinion as a random passerby in the game!

I really like how it rolls off the tongue. Most Roegadyn names I see are mouthfuls and difficult to pronounce (maybe that's the norm?) but yours feels like a real name. It flows very well and the meaning is ridiculously neat. Big Meat!

10/10! This definitely isn't a pity vote or anything like that. I legitimately think there's zero wrong with the name. :)

For my name...I just switched my character's name around recently and am interested in hearing what other people think.

Evelaide Abenliedt!

Highlander Hyur female. The last name is a mixture of German words that have been squished around. It was originally Eve Nightingale which...just didn't work for me. Her last name is meant to be a given name, not necessarily a family name. I found the word "Abend" for evening and then "Lied" for song/hymn/tune and the rest is history! So, tear away..

Evelaide Abenliedt!

Highlander Hyur female. The last name is a mixture of German words that have been squished around. It was originally Eve Nightingale which...just didn't work for me. Her last name is meant to be a given name, not necessarily a family name. I found the word "Abend" for evening and then "Lied" for song/hymn/tune and the rest is history! So, tear away..

I'd give it a 9/10. I like the change from Eve Nightingale to Evelaide Abenliedt. It sounds like it fits more into the FFXIV and has a mix of still sounding like a Hyur (human) name and a bit of a high class fancier name. It looks a bit as intimidating as a Seawolf name at first glance but then rolls off the tongue without much effort at all. Kudos!

I recently did some name changing for my character as well. Normally I name my character what I want and be damned to proper lore but I fell in love with FFXIV racial lore so much I opted to use it to name my Miqo'te. I took my normal character name, Fibril and used it like so...

[align=center]F'ibril Nuhn[/align]

Nothing special really but.. it reminds me of my old loves combined with my new ones! So I guess it translates to.. Ibril, breeder of the bear tribe. Through RP he will likely adapt and change since his brother is technically the Bear tribes Nuhn! Only so many letters to use made up brother! Sheesh! Just call him Fibby! I have not finalized him totally since I am waiting to try to make him on Balmung so his name may drop the tribe portion and I may just make him Fibril Nuhn Though I did also toss around adopting part of the Moon naming and since he left the bear tribe but still calls it his home naming him Tof'ibril Nunh TO being what they use for Second son on the Moon's naming... So I guess you can help rate all choices!!

[align=center]F'ibril Nuhn

Fibril Nuhn

Tof'ibril Nuhn

To'Fibril Nuhn

F'ibril'to Nuhn

Fibril'to Nuhn

Man I have a lot of thinking to do.

[/align]

I'd give it a 9/10. I like the change from Eve Nightingale to Evelaide Abenliedt. It sounds like it fits more into the FFXIV and has a mix of still sounding like a Hyur (human) name and a bit of a high class fancier name. It looks a bit as intimidating as a Seawolf name at first glance but then rolls off the tongue without much effort at all. Kudos!

I recently did some name changing for my character as well. Normally I name my character what I want and be damned to proper lore but I fell in love with FFXIV racial lore so much I opted to use it to name my Miqo'te. I took my normal character name, Fibril and used it like so...

[align=center]F'ibril Nuhn[/align]

Nothing special really but.. it reminds me of my old loves combined with my new ones! So I guess it translates to.. Ibril, breeder of the bear tribe. Through RP he will likely adapt and change since his brother is technically the Bear tribes Nuhn! Only so many letters to use made up brother! Sheesh! Just call him Fibby! I have not finalized him totally since I am waiting to try to make him on Balmung so his name may drop the tribe portion and I may just make him Fibril Nuhn Though I did also toss around adopting part of the Moon naming and since he left the bear tribe but still calls it his home naming him Tof'ibril Nunh TO being what they use for Second son on the Moon's naming... So I guess you can help rate all choices!!

[align=center]F'ibril Nuhn

Fibril Nuhn

Tof'ibril Nuhn

To'Fibril Nuhn

F'ibril'to Nuhn

Fibril'to Nuhn

Man I have a lot of thinking to do.

[/align]

I just wanted to point out.. it's Nunh. :blush:

Fun fact: Apparently my character is unable to spell his name correctly. :blush:

This will be corrected... later... when I remake him... *coff* or stand as another way of him changing things slightly in his nomadic lifestyle. -quickly turns it around-

YES THIS NAME IS WORKING AS INTENDED! WE MEANT TO DO THAT.

Mars Irvo

Surname - Abandoned on the steps of a monastery, Mars adopted the name Irvo from his caretaker and father figure, Abbot Irvo.

Aww, since you got skipped I'll bonus rate you!

The name sounds pretty damn cool. Your reasoning for it makes pretty good sense. And it makes me feel the feels since he was abandoned and all so now I am a little misty eyed and feeling the bad feels. Maybe Mars Irvoson would have tied it in a little bit but nah, I am stupid Mars Irvo sounds better. 8.5/10!

Now someone rate me.. and neglect that I mispelled his last name! 8D I dun wanna get skipped too!

5/10~probably would be more like 8 or 9/10 if you left it F'ibril and based on your explanation to my questions about the surname: Rating F'ibril Nunh, based on what you said.. If he's a Seeker, totally in lore name and I love in lore names. Exceeept for you said his brother is the nunh. Why is he using the title then? Did he leave his tribe to become a nunh of his own? I'd highly advise against using the Keeper conventions as a Seeker whether he left the tribe or not. That would be beyond weird!

F'ibril reminds me of febrile. But that's just because I'm a medical person, so ignore that. xD

5/10~probably would be more like 8 or 9/10 if you left it F'ibril and based on your explanation to my questions about the surname: Rating F'ibril Nunh, based on what you said.. If he's a Seeker, totally in lore name and I love in lore names. Exceeept for you said his brother is the nunh. Why is he using the title then? Did he leave his tribe to become a nunh of his own? I'd highly advise against using the Keeper conventions as a Seeker whether he left the tribe or not. That would be beyond weird!

F'ibril reminds me of febrile. But that's just because I'm a medical person, so ignore that. xD

It's staying F'ibril. Wife already tugged my ear and said so. Also, yeah he us using the Nunh name since he left to start his own. He did not want to challenge his brother and take what made him happy away from him, so some of the cutey pie hard to resist kitty gals convinced him to travel with them (Mainly because they wanted to see the world and have him take care of them!) So he took them off to start a nomadic tribe, but then they all got squished :surprise:

Plan to change it to the right spelling once the game goes live, but I don't care to make a new forum name >_> It will stay as a reminder of my folly.

Fibril has stuck with me since my friends and I got on Dark Age of Camelot after we had just played Tales of Destiny (I think that was the one) and the pink haired girl kept touching the main hero to trigger his "Fibril" which was her word for Ultimate Power... so she kept going Fibril Fibril Fibril and thus.. my big ole troll had the name forced on him by my pals and then etc so on.. for all of the times. Didn't know it was similar to a seizure disease til much later.. too late now!

My turn, right?

This is a solid 8.5/10 for me. Penelope is both a common name and one that is rarely used anymore. Add Rundall into the mix and I really enjoy the flow. 8-)

I suppose I am up:

Mars Irvo

For a visualization, this is him:

d9ga.png

I'm so sorry, Firnwood! I didn't mean to skip you!

By itself it is a fine name, and because it also fits your character's back story I'm giving it a full 10/10.

I'm working on two Highlander brothers. If my understanding of their naming conventions is correct then their surnames are generally seen as something that is earned rather than something given. Hence despite the bloodties they have different surnames.

Halrath Beastblood

Hugo Wolfsbane

I'm working on two Highlander brothers. If my understanding of their naming conventions is correct then their surnames are generally seen as something that is earned rather than something given. Hence despite the bloodties they have different surnames.

Halrath Beastblood

Hugo Wolfsbane

Hmm... I think I'm going give both of these a 6/10. I like the first names well enough, strong names. My issue is more with the surnames. My understanding is that the surnames are passed down, but that it is responsibly common for warriors to adopt a new name given feats/notoriety in battle. Even given that, and that the brothers could/did adopt different names, they seem overwrought in use to me. And not necessarily in a good way as a name adopted as such should strive to be a distinguishing feature.

As for my own I'm offering up two of mine, might post a couple more later!:

Illira Carceri Wildwood Elezen - Yes, I know that its not ~French~, its actually rooted in Italian, at least the surname is: See http://exhibits.slpl.org/steedman/data/Steedman240092845.asp I could have frenchified it, but I see the Elezen as having a lot in common with both the French and Italian cultures. So I kept it, giving her close family a mixture of French and Italian names, as the parental sides would have come from perhaps differently Wildwood subcultures.

Burned Cypress - Hellsguard Roegadyn - Past incarnations of this character have been known as Immolata [Veritas]. I could go into depth explaining the reasoning behind this one but... I shall let it be judged at face value!

During the beta, I complete spaced on the fact that I should be paying attention to naming conventions. (I blame the fact I was eager to jump in and play a bit and went with a standard name I use for most MMOs.) To that end, I've been struggling to come up with a new name for Early Access since it hits tonight.. Well, tomorrow morning to be exact.

So, how does Cyneric Fuir sound to you all? Hyur Midlander Male.