Official RP Server

While it's not super relevant to this thread, and I posted it in that other server discussion thread as well... the 4chan community is not going to Gilgamesh. There will be people on Gilgamesh that happen to go on 4chan as individuals, but there is no organized movement on 4chan to play as a group on Gilgamesh. Reddit is going to Gilgamesh though (which is probably WHY 4chan isn't going there), and since I find them far less tolerable than 4chan, that ended up being my deal breaker.

As for being on topic - I'm new to FFXIV and decided to roll on Balmung, despite my initial aversion to Legacy servers. And as someone who is new to RP, I don't understand the mentality of breaking up what is already a small community, not to mention a community that is usually targeted by griefers. Strength in numbers, right? These are just my uneducated opinions though...  :blush:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to point out the irony of being afraid of negative-cliques and exclusive behavior from the Balmung community when the moderators of this forum and the (more or less) leaders of the Legacy RP community were kind enough to help out people that don't want to play on a Legacy server in some way.

They could have told everyone to bug off and start your own community for a different, non-legacy server, as this site has been about the Balmung/Besaid community since 1.0. Instead? They helped people out by holding voting and putting up a section of the forums for Gilgamesh to chat and hang out. 

This is totally cliqueish and exclusive behavior. Totally.

Let's not ignore the fact that any real benefits from Legacy will be null and void within 3-4 weeks anyway, on average.

Sorry if I seem a little irritated about this. It's just incredibly rude, to me, to see people accuse (and yes, simply stating your fears is akin to accusing) this community of being full of cliques and hard to break into when the people on this site have been nothing but welcoming and helpful. They worked hard to create a great community throughout 1.0 and to see people so flippantly disregard that, while also using that community's website, is insulting. They deserve your thanks, not your arguments about not wanting to be a part of this community.

There's also a hefty dose of amusement that stems from Amaare trying to lead a community. Yes, some of us remember your actions in GW2 on Tarnished Coast. That's neither here nor there, though.

Sorry but The only thing I lead there was my own guild and at one time being one of the leaders of the tavern guild I lead.

I've also stated that I'm not the leader of anything many times. So please do tell.

Ah, I remember you now, and the infamous Golden Sun. Man, that takes me back.

On topic though, I knew I wasn't the only one who's been nothing but impressed by this community's vets. Heck, I thought some of my topics would be provocative to them, because I challenged the roleplay of many when I first got involved here.

Did the vets rage? No, they had a civil discussion with me and laid out the lore. I left the discussion knowing more about the game than when I came into it.

It's been a while since I've been able to enjoy that level of maturity on an RP forum in a thread where people were disagreeing. I've been in communities that were helpful and friendly and mature--GW2's community is still that way. But it's forum is a mess when differing perspectives start to clash.

But very few of you are out there looking for a fight. I can respect that.

Now, I can believe the folks who say that they had problems with "Legacy players" in-game in the past. But the past is past. Are those divisive people still around? Have they turned over a new leaf?

Are grudges necessary?

I'm afraid that I've not had the opportunity to see the splitting of the RP community as anything but that--a grudge war. I've seen people flat out refuse to set up shop on Balmung because of nebulous negative past experiences. I've seen people discourage others from going to Balmung because of "blacklists" and "pecking orders".

All of that negativity, all of that anger, and the condition of Gilgamesh's population, have convinced me to stick with the larger community.

This isn't a slam against Gilgamesh--there are many people promoting many different "unofficial non-Legacy RP servers," and I don't know all or any of those people. I don't know many who are going to Gilgamesh and I cannot predict its future.

But regardless of server affiliations, I've seen people rally and roil against Balmung and the folks who are sticking with it.

And I cannot for the life of me understand why.

The thing that both bugs and disappoints me about the split is that new players come here and see this divide and it gives the impression to some that they'll somehow be excluded if they join Balmung, or I've even seen where some people were under the impression they couldn't even join Balmung unless they were legacy.

While I think it's noble that the people who run RPC wanted to make the Gilgamesh community feel at home here, I personally feel more steps should have been taken to squash the schism towards Balmung than to advocate a second server. As far as I've seen RPC has always welcomed people to join who played outside of Balmung, but it was always the home of the Balmung community. I think in order to keep the community as tight and unified as it was, they should have stuck to their guns and told people who wanted to play on a non-legacy server they were more than welcome to but RPC will always be about Balmung.

Maybe things will die down once the game goes live, but right now it feels like having two servers is becoming slightly detrimental.

The thing that both bugs and disappoints me about the split is that new players come here and see this divide and it gives the impression to some that they'll somehow be excluded if they join Balmung, or I've even seen where some people were under the impression they couldn't even join Balmung unless they were legacy.

While I think it's noble that the people who run RPC wanted to make the Gilgamesh community feel at home here, I personally feel more steps should have been taken to squash the schism towards Balmung than to advocate a second server. As far as I've seen RPC has always welcomed people to join who played outside of Balmung, but it was always the home of the Balmung community. I think in order to keep the community as tight and unified as it was, they should have stuck to their guns and told people who wanted to play on a non-legacy server they were more than welcome to but RPC will always be about Balmung.

Maybe things will die down once the game goes live, but right now it feels like having two servers is becoming slightly detrimental.

I think that's the problem. I'm a new player and I'm going to Balmung to be with friends, but if I had come into the RPC without any idea as to where I would end up...I'd be a little hesitant.

To me (someone coming in with zero experience in either server), it seems more like a competition between servers to win people over than anything else. Which is what I meant when I said I didn't like to see the community splitting. :/

it seems more like a competition between servers to win people over than anything else.

I hate to say it, but that is exactly what it is. Instead we should have put our efforts into forming a strong community on a single server where we could all play together. By creating a split between servers we perpetrate the stigma against legacy players and their servers. :/

No one wants to have flying penis's interrupt their interview - but it's happened (

), no one wants a bunch of trolls to take over their entire game - but it happened (EvE). This is what they DO and it's a very real concern, not one you can hand wave off as fear.

Hold on, hold on, time out for a second. Can we just take a moment to look at how funny this video is?

Ahahahahahahahaha. This is hilarious. I found an article from cracked that has more stuff like this if anyone is interested in reading more about awful online things. The WoW plague is one of my favorites now. http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming/

Okay, let normal talk resume!

Edit: It was probably pretty horrible for the people involved, but hiding in the mountains and cultivating and out of control plague at least deserves a giggle.

Hello I'm not trying to stoke any flames as both myself and my better half have been anxiously waiting to join an rp community in ffxiv and have been following the HRC community for quite some time now. Both of us are concerned about legacy servers due to our experiences in other mmos and were ready to join Gilgamesh then had recently found this from the beta forums.

There is a worry that the community will degrade because of the nature of reddit... Again I am not trying to cause a panic but it was a bit unsettling seeing the poll results.

And who is to say that the reddit community wont make alts on Balmung? Just a thought. I for one am sticking with the Gilgamesh community, there is a strong RP community forming there and I very much want to help it strive and grow even more.

Hello I'm not trying to stoke any flames as both myself and my better half have been anxiously waiting to join an rp community in ffxiv and have been following the HRC community for quite some time now. Both of us are concerned about legacy servers due to our experiences in other mmos and were ready to join Gilgamesh then had recently found this from the beta forums.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1gakb4/meta_the_subreddit_poll_has_finished_results/

There is a worry that the community will degrade because of the nature of reddit... Again I am not trying to cause a panic but it was a bit unsettling seeing the poll results.

And who is to say that the reddit community wont make alts on Balmung? Just a thought. I for one and sticking with the Gilgamesh community, there is a strong RP community forming there and I very much want to help it strive and grow even more.

Even if they make alts, they won't be a regular part of our community like they will be for Gilgamesh.

To me (someone coming in with zero experience in either server)' date=' it seems more like a competition between servers to [i']win[/i] people over than anything else.

I think, in part, it has become more of a "competition" between the "underdogs"(Gilgamesh) and the "old nobility"(Balmung) (I'm being sarcastic as this is how I think both sides see each other). A lot of the replies I see from Gilgamesh supporters gives me the impression that they are fighting for a cause against some kind of regime. They like the idea of fighting against the odds. I see them as the rebels. I think many Gilgamesh players see themselves that way as well (though, I could be wrong) and I can see the appeal to that. The funny thing is, to me the "old guard", as some put it, on Balmung are already greatly outnumbered by the new players AS IS. They will likely be -drowned- out by the new players, and if the game does good this will only keep growing.

Let's face it, to be blunt, many role-players have a sense of stage and theatrics. Well, you can't really feel you have equal stage if you have to fight next to famous "stars"(established role-players on Balmung), right? So I think -one of- the ideas is that moving to a new server will allow some of the new blood to have a chance at establishing themselves as the new "stars" for their new server.

So, okay, that all makes sense, even if it is a little self-serving, but I get it. Problem is, in a couple months, this won't matter -one bit- because if the game does good (crosses fingers) then there will be more waves of new players. This happens in a lot of new MMOs. The early adapters try it out and if they say the water is warm, then a whole bunch of new people come in. And in the case of XIV, due to its past, I bet a lot of people are waiting on the fence.

But in past MMOs when those new players join I rarely have seen them come to an established RP community (and you know we always have one for nearly every MMO that's come out) and say, "Yo, I think we need another server since I'm new and I don't want to play with the established crew." It's almost always, "What's the RP server?" They get an answer and that's that. At the very least, that's how I've always approached it, but maybe I like playing in the same sandbox. xD

But when we get our new waves of players for XIV, what will we tell them? Right now there is an obvious division or flavor between the two servers, but that won't really be the case in a couple months. And what we will really end up with is a genuine split in the community and nothing more. Not two servers with two different flavors, but two unofficial RP servers. Just think about the confusion that will cause a new player.

I'm very much "live and let live." I think in a couple weeks we'll all be playing and this won't really even be a concern of ours. But when things settle, and the honeymoon is over, and we come back to these forums to talk about our adventures, I can only imagine that this will crop up again when a new player joins and we'll all look at each other and go, "Why did we split our community up again?"

To be honest when I was coming back for the new game I did kinda get the impression that I'd have to go Gilgamesh if I wasn't a 'legacy' player.

I have to say I don't understand the need for a second server, are people that upset that...what there'll be some dudes higher level at launch? The whole divide seems pointless and, if I must say, ego driven rather than any real 'need' for the community.

To me (someone coming in with zero experience in either server), it seems more like a competition between servers to win people over than anything else.

I think, in part, it has become more of a "competition" between the "underdogs"(gilgimesh) and the "old nobility"(balmung). A lot of the replies I see from gilgimesh supporters gives me the impression that they are fighting for a cause against some kind of regime. They like the idea of fighting against the odds. I see them as the rebels. I think many see themselves that way as well. And I can see the appeal to that. The funny thing is, to me, that the "old guard", as some put it, on balmung are already greatly outnumbered by the new players AS IS. They will likely be -drowned- out by the new players, and if the game does good this will only keep growing.

Let's face it, to be blunt, many role-players have a sense of stage and theatrics. Well, you can't really be center stage if you have to fight next to famous "stars"(established role-players on balmung), right? So I think -one of- the ideas is that moving to a new server will allow some of the new blood to have a chance at establishing themselves as the new "stars" for their new server.

So, okay, that all makes sense, even if it is a little self-serving, but I get it. Problem is, in a couple months, this won't matter -one bit- because if the game does good (crosses fingers) then there will be more waves of new players. This happens in a lot of new MMOs. The early adapters try it out and if they say the water is warm, then a whole bunch of new people come in. But in those cases, I rarely have seen the new players come to an established RP community (and you know we always have one for nearly every MMO that's come out) and say "Yo, I think we need another server since I'm new and I don't want to play with the established crew." It's almost always "What's the RP server?" They get an answer and that's that.

But when we get our new waves of players for XIV, what will we tell them? Right now there is an obvious division or flavor between the two servers, but that won't really be the case in a couple months. And what we will really end up with is a genuine split in the community and nothing more. Not two servers with two different flavors, but two unofficial RP servers. Just think about the confusion that will cause a new player.

I'm very much "live and let live." I think in a couple weeks we'll all be playing and this won't really even be a concern of ours. But when things settle and the honeymoon is over and we come back to these forums to talk about our adventures, I can only imagine that this will crop up again and we'll all look at each other and go, "Why did we split our community up again?"

Basically all of this, and then this again just for emphasis!

Pretty much right now we can say "If you want to join a stable and established community go Balmung, or if you want to join a new community with a fresh start you can join Gilgamesh." In a few months all we can say is "Well you can join Balmung, or if you like the name better you can join Gilgamesh."

To be honest when I was coming back for the new game I did kinda get the impression that I'd have to go Gilgamesh if I wasn't a 'legacy' player.

I have to say I don't understand the need for a second server, are people that upset that...what there'll be some dudes higher level at launch? The whole divide seems pointless and, if I must say, ego driven rather than any real 'need' for the community.

This.

It's what many of us on Balmung have been saying.

As I said in another thread, even those of the Legacy players with high level characters will have to do the low level content, just to unlock things like dungeons. Legacy will have to 'trail blaze' just like any other server.. Most of them will be running content with low level/unleveled alts/jobs, because it's an entirely new game from 1.0. As an RPer, storyline is key and we'll want to experience that.

Never did understand the stigma against the LEgacy servers.

So I think -one of- the ideas is that moving to a new server will allow some of the new blood to have a chance at establishing themselves as the new "stars" for their new server.

Definitely the draw of Gilgamesh. Honestly? As a new player, I've even thought about it. I've also known people who have said the same thing and are sticking with their decision. They don't like the idea that some people on Balmung will get a leg up from the get-go. When it came down to it, I decided I don't think it'll matter in a few weeks.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone and have no intention of generalizing everyone into the same pool. I'm sure there are other reasons to join Gilgamesh (or any other server, for that matter).

But I'm just saying.

I kinda wish RPC would pick a single server to "sponsor", and then have another sub-forum for other servers. I guess that's not a popular or particularly nice opinion to have, but...It's just how I feel based on what I've seen on the forums.

I'm very much "live and let live." I think in a couple weeks we'll all be playing and this won't really even be a concern of ours. But when things settle, and the honeymoon is over, and we come back to these forums to talk about our adventures, I can only imagine that this will crop up again when a new player joins and we'll all look at each other and go, "Why did we split our community up again?"

Isn't it obvious?  Some people want the split, for the split's own sake.  Whether you think that's good, or bad, it is what it is.

Now, this next bit is directed at everyone poised to make Gilgamesh their new home:

I think our real concern now that many of us are invested in Gilgamesh to some extent, is how to make the best of things there.  I made a Gilgamesh show yer rp pride post on the official forums, and it degenerated into mud-slinging so fast I didn't have time to find a hose.  There is very real animosity waiting for us there, and we need to do something about it.

I think we need to do something no one expects, or maybe even wants.  We need to be inclusive and welcoming to the very groups people here are worried about.  Reddit has a roleplay community, you know.  They're as excited about this as we are.  I think we, collectively, need to take special steps to show all of these new players that we are not the stereotypes they are dreading having to interact with - that we can be good in raids, that we respect how other people want to play, and so on...

But most of all, that we're something they can appreciate and have fun with beyond event-crashing and nasty tells.  These guys - they're the future of Gilgamesh, and we're the minority.  I think - no, I believe with absolute certainty - that the success of our community on Gilgamesh depends on integrating well with the server's other inhabitants, with the intent of dispelling the stereotype of the gameplay-incompetent, lecherous, isolationist RPer.  (If you need evidence of how strong this stereotype is in the minds of non-RP'ers, you need merely take a quick look at the thread in my sig.)

How will we do this?  We need a new kind of etiquette.  We need to be open about our events, and we need to make them fun for casual observers and drop ins.  The private-party exists to be crashed.  Open doors, good humor, and an unflusterable sense of purpose cannot be crashed.  When twenty or thirty randoms drop in just to see what we're doing, we need to have an attitude in our response to them that says "You have every right to be here; you do not break our immersion by being here, and we can improve yours.  We are fun, and not a burden." 

In short, the easily-offended, elitist, isolationist roleplayer has got to go.

When some trolls mobilize to crash events (and they will), we need to be able to laugh about it.  Not ha-ha you're pathetic laugh, but genuine, bouyant, I think it's all good laugh.

If we can do that, and respect how they want to play, they'll have the opportunity to look at RP in a new light.  And if they do that, we'll have new recruits and new friends to tell tall tales with.

This will most likely be the last thing I say on this thread since it feels like everything else has been said before.

In regards to Gilgamesh as a viable server, it will be exceedingly difficult for a number of reasons. Firstly you're joining a server that already contains a large community that are vehemently against RPers, this means that from day 1 you will be facing opposition, trolling, griefing, and any other number of disheartening behavior. These communities know you're going to be there, they've voiced loudly they don't want you there. Gilgamesh may face retention issues, in this thread alone I believe there are one or two folks saying they were reconsidering their decision not to join Balmung, and an entirely different thread spawning urging the community to vote for another server. This could easily lead to many of the Gilgamesh community members leaving for any of the other viable options based on their tastes. Combine these two things together and you have a very volatile situation; while some have shown to be stalwart in their decision to stay on Gilgamesh, others may lack their conviction, especially in the face of open opposition and prejudice. This assumes of course that things are as bad in game as they are on the internet. An example of this can be seen in the signature of Yeldir, though to be fair the beta forums tend to be open hostile in general. Most people will not want to RP in an environment where they have to fear persecution for enjoying their hobby and will simply move on, perhaps even to another game entirely which is even worse than someone moving on to another server.

As a message directly to the Gilgamesh players; many of you act defensively towards us Balmung players, many of you act somewhat entitled, or demonstrate the very behaviors you claim to be leaving our server to avoid. I see this as nothing more than a different version of the same arguments we see on the beta servers, the Legacy vs. Non-Legacy arguments that fill the General Discussion boards. The fact is you're here as a courtesy, the RPC was originally the BALMUNG RP Community, advocating RP on that server and until this whole Anti-Legacy schism started up everyone here was one big group who could all play together. Now we're not, and even if we can get along here on the forums, we'll never see each other in game, we'll never talk to each other outside of these forums, it stifles creativity because one member may post a thread asking for advice or feedback and other members may look at it and merely dismiss it because that member isn't part of their server. So in closing let me giving you an example of how many people on Balmung feel, and hopefully you can understand the level of irritation that is showing around the community.

Imagine if a friend of yours came to your house and asked if they could crash on your couch. You're both pretty close, so you tell them it's not a problem. At first everything is cool, you're getting along, having fun, doing stuff together but then something changes. Your friend starts eating all your food, using all your toiletries, and in a way they just sort of start taking over your home. The next thing you know your friend starts inviting some of their friends over to hang out as well, and you find you actually get along with some of his friends but you're told you're not aloud to hang out with them, because they're not your friends, they're his. You and your friend could easily share friends, do things together but for whatever reason he adamantly denies you, insisting that his friends remain his friends and nothing else. It leaves you feeling increasingly frustrated because all of these people are in your house, and even though you all could have got along and played together peacefully, your friend insists on keeping you and him segregated.

Anyways, that's about all I have to say on this topic. I wish people could get over their fears, intolerance, or whatever so that this small group of people could be whole again and we can all play together, but I don't see that happening unless the powers that be made a stand and no longer supported Gilgamesh directly. That's just my opinion however. I don't think anyone should be forced to join one server or another, but I don't think splitting everyone up like we have been is doing this community any good either.

I really don't see what people are fussing over. 

Everyone sees "Reddit/4chan might be here.." and everyone loses their heads.

Fact is, trolls will be trolls regardless of whether there is a recognized name attached or not.

In my opinion, if I survived the cesspool that is WoWs community, I can make it anywhere.

On another note, to judge the "quality" or "quantity" of rp  on any server before the game has even gone fully live, and even for a while after it has, is simply asinine. There are a lot of variables that could just make you out to look like a jerk for jumping the gun and making generalizations about people. Even after a community is established, "good rp" is subjective.

So let's all take a breather, unrussel those jimmies and just enjoy the game and have some damn FUN.

Ashren, we are not "bad guests" for wanting to start a new community on Gilgamesh.  The powers that be are not going to step in to right the great wrong, because no one's wrong, here.  Everyone's going to do what they enjoy most.  Every new player who rolls Balmung because they want an established community is as good and right as every person who comes to Gilgamesh for the uphill battle of forging a new one. 

This site isn't Balmung-roleplayers.com, and the intent of the good folks who run the place is clearly to facilitate and unite.  If you want to talk about division, then you need to look no further than your idea of withdrawing official support for Gilgamesh.  You do that and we're off to make our own website. 

That truly is a worst case scenario.  There is nothing about that situation that is good.  As things are now, all the potential new roleplaying chums jumping on board have the opportunity to examine the situation on both servers, on one website, and make the choice that suits them best.  That's how it should be, and that's how it is.

I will agree that Gilgamesh has a tremendous challenge ahead of it, in establishing itself in potentially hostile territory.  It will take a good deal of patience and good humor when the trolls come out to play.

Ashren, we are not "bad guests" for wanting to start a new community on Gilgamesh.  The powers that be are not going to step in to right the great wrong, because no one's wrong, here.  Everyone's going to do what they enjoy most.  Every new player who rolls Balmung because they want an established community is as good and right as every person who comes to Gilgamesh for the uphill battle of forging a new one. 

This site isn't Balmung-roleplayers.com, and the intent of the good folks who run the place is clearly to facilitate and unite.  If you want to talk about division, then you need to look no further than your idea of withdrawing official support for Gilgamesh.  You do that and we're off to make our own website. 

That truly is a worst case scenario.  There is nothing about that situation that is good.  As things are now, all the potential new roleplaying chums jumping on board have the opportunity to examine the situation on both servers, on one website, and make the choice that suits them best.  That's how it should be, and that's how it is.

I will agree that Gilgamesh has a tremendous challenge ahead of it, in establishing itself in potentially hostile territory.  It will take a good deal of patience and good humor when the trolls come out to play.

And that my friend is the attitude you want. We knew that when we rolled on Jade Quarry to RP, PVE and PVP on Guild Wars 2. We did very well despite being in hostile territory but when people saw we could kick butt in PVP, rock in PVE dungeons and still have fun RP storylines. It changed the tune there until we retired from GW2.

This is my final statement on this issue. After this, I'm burnt out and done and won't be discussing this anymore as I have done everything I can to attempt to bridge a gap between these two communities and feel like I'm being slapped in the face from time to time. Three years ago, before 1.0 went live, there was a server vote then to unite RP onto a single server. Now for 2.0 (A RE-LAUNCH! NOT A NEW GAME) we have a split for a new server because of this pointless Anti-Legacy crap from the Beta forums.

What will happen next? When an expansion comes out and new players join, will we hold a poll for a third server so they can have a "Fresh Start" too? Should we constantly change servers each time a new voice pops in and says "I wasn't here for that vote!" ?

There needs to be a limit on this argument and insanity before it gets anymore out of hand.

WE ALL WANT RP TO SUCCEED.

We tried being inclusive to Balmung when things first started and were met with nothing but resistances and statements like the one here. So my question to you is this, in a Month or two, once your server has done "Trail Blazing" content (which will more then likely be using stats from end game shells focused from those in 1.0 with all level 50s that this Legacy hate seems to point and yell at) will you be server transferring to Balmung and joining the community again? Will this be a constant pissing contest between whose server is the "True" RP server?

I'm sick of it.

I want to play the game with my current friends and meet new friends. Not bicker and argue anymore. I have tried, time and again. To be welcoming, inclusive and accepting. I made the "I Remember" video series to show that Legacy players are not this hated vile thing some of you point at us as. I have no idea what is left to do to make you all feel welcome short of deleting my account from XIV and walking away because EVERY GOD DAMN THING I DO TO HELP HAS BEEN SLAPPED AWAY OR IGNORED and NO ONE is explaining why other then "We don't want to play on a legacy server because we don't want to play on a legacy server" which makes ZERO logical sense to me.

I'm done on this topic. If this looses me subscribers for my channel I'll accept that, but I'm going insane trying to see logic where there isn't any.

~Nel

Nel I for one enjoyed your video's and appreciate the effort put in creating them, just thought I would say that.

I have posted previously on this thread and I will say it again, we as RP'ers are going to be in a minority in whatever game or server we play on we need to unite and be welcoming to one another, this whole pissing contest about server choice is just getting people frustrated and bitter before the game is even released.

Now I do not know about all of you but I have been frequenting these forums less because of all the acidic rhetoric and that is a shame because I believe this site is a great resource.  I hold no ill will to any player here I know noone and have no axe to grind but this pecking at one another is doing damage that will take months to fix if it can be fixed at all.

This bickering is a terrible distraction which should be a great time for us as the ARR draws closer, we should be sharing in each others excitement not tearing strips from those around us.

Now my post is rather negative and that is not my way, I believe once the game is released this "issue" will fade away as we all play the game and immerse our characters into every facet of Eorzea but the damage that is being done will still be there in the shadows.

Please just let this topic go still, let it fall from the top of the page and let us all pull together as a community and see what the future hold's.....together!

Nel, there's something I've been trying to hint at, that's hard to get right out in the open without stepping on anybody's toes.  It isn't all about legacy vs non legacy, 50 vs non 50.  There's another strong element here, something closer to the want of a fresh start on a social level, not merely a game mechanic one. 

When the trailblazing is done, and everyone is more or less on the same page, progression wise, we'll have two peacefully coexisting communities with their own attitudes and "flavors" to choose from.  I say this with a bit of certainty because I suspect Gilgamesh cannot survive operating as Balmung does.  The server (Gilgamesh) is simply too hostile and eager to take a bite out of us.  The Gilgamesh RPgoal is, to many people (myself included) a hybrid community that basically anyone can be a part of, at any level of roleplaying skill or interest.  That means Reddit, Blue Gartr, and any volatile internet community that traditionally spends inordinate lengths of time trying to spoil roleplay for laughs - Gilgamesh's RP crew is going to have to integrate all of them, even while they're crashing our events.  If Gilga RP accomplishes this, we will end up with a very different communal attitude - laid back, amused and amusing, and - dare I describe it this way - something closer to RP for bros.

That can't work on Balmung, yet it is what many of us Gilgies want.  I know you want a united community with maximum interaction, which is an absolutely noble goal, but there are fundamental differences of psychology at work here which cannot simply be ignored away.  A split of some sort is unavoidable, and it's no one's fault.

Don't worry about losing subs. People like you, they like your videos, and you haven't said or done anything that will offend anyone. You made your feelings known perfectly - and I think you deserve a +1 rep for it.

Hey, you guys played Tactics Ogre, by any chance?  Classic order/chaos branching path, am I right?

When the trailblazing is done, and everyone is more or less on the same page, progression wise, we'll have two peacefully coexisting communities with their own attitudes and "flavors" to choose from.  I say this with a bit of certainty because I suspect Gilgamesh cannot survive operating as Balmung does.  The server (Gilgamesh) is simply too hostile and eager to take a bite out of us.  The Gilgamesh RPgoal is, to many people (myself included) a hybrid community that basically anyone can be a part of, at any level of roleplaying skill or interest.  That means Reddit, Blue Gartr, and any volatile internet community that traditionally spends inordinate lengths of time trying to spoil roleplay for laughs - Gilgamesh's RP crew is going to have to integrate all of them, even while they're crashing our events.  If Gilga RP accomplishes this, we will end up with a very different communal attitude - laid back, amused and amusing, and - dare I describe it this way - something closer to RP for bros.

This is a very noble goal, and one that I tip my hat to all of you for striving for. I also, however, feel like this is a distinction that may be a very strong deciding factor for people. I, for one, do not want a server where RP becomes LOL!RP. I know that's not what you meant, but I feel like you are taking on the sacrifice of true quality story-driving RP so that people can get a better impression of RPers than we might have right now. Again, very noble. Just not something I can do. And it may not be something other people can do. I don't know. Then again, maybe some people don't see it as a sacrifice. Maybe it'll turn out that Gilgamesh is the "tavern RP" server. And some people thrive on that. As someone who doesn't, I'm glad that distinction is being made, though, because it is directing me away from Gilgamesh. If it turns out that this IS all about different RP styles, then kudos! I guess we'll just have to find out.