My Biggest Concern

After being opposed to rolling on a legacy server for months, I am just now coming around to the idea of being apart of Balmung! My biggest concern though - will there be a large amount of people interested/participating in PvP? This is very important to me becuase I need competition! One of the main reasons I am leaning towards Gilgamesh, but being in a larger community of roleplayers is also very important to me!

After being opposed to rolling on a legacy server for months, I am just now coming around to the idea of being apart of Balmung! My biggest concern though - will there be a large amount of people interested/participating in PvP? This is very important to me becuase I need competition! One of the main reasons I am leaning towards Gilgamesh, but being in a larger community of roleplayers is also very important to me!

lol sounds like you have a hard decision as I'm sure there will be better targets on Gilgamesh lol

If you don't mind a challenge, you'll get plenty of it on Balmung, catching up with the 50 juggernauts.  Balmung has always been pretty busy, so you're assured plenty of action there, and much of it with a strong rp context.

Gilgamesh, on the other hand, is a good choice if you want to start from scratch, and help us build a solid community against preposterous social odds.  Reddit, Blue Gartr, everyone's brother and their dog are all rolling there, including a lot of progression driven guilds.  Action assured there, too.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the small scale arena style PvP but I'm those PvP zones that have objectives for us to capture and stuff.

I'm kind of with you on this one. I don't mind the arena style stuff, but objectives are so much more fun. Ballista was my first eye opening experience to PvP (as RO and PSO didn't have PvP options by the time I quit) and it really has not been topped yet. It was like PvP soccer/football, haha.

I am not a big PvP person , but I do enjoy the content occasionally especially if it is made so that it is drop-in friendly. Never was a big fan of special PvP gear that boosts resistances to Player vs Player content .

Unique looking gear sure, but once you start adding tiers of Player Resistance is just makes it harder for casual PvP'ers to ever get their footing.

Absolutely. While I will be jumping back into endgame come day one of the head start, and while I do have an RP linkshell to head up, I will absolutely make time to PvP in XIV. I was into competitive PvP in WoW, and played Ballista quite frequently in XI. I also stuck with Aion for a number of years, and that game was pretty much solely driven by PvP.

Suffice it to say, I'm so game for some competitive PvP in XIV, and definitely plan to participate on a regular basis. I know some of my free company members are planning on PvPing as well, and we're already working out a team composition. Can't really make any serious decisions until we see the PvP-specific abilities, however~

I used to be a heavy Role Player/PvPer on WoW, and did a fair bit of arenas. So you are not alone. A few friends of mine will dabble in PvP of some kind as well.

Although I don't imagine the competition will be what it was on WoW.

In fact. I -pray- that the competition doesn't turn into what it was on WoW. 

-shivers-

I used to be a heavy Role Player/PvPer on WoW, and did a fair bit of arenas. So you are not alone. A few friends of mine will dabble in PvP of some kind as well.

Although I don't imagine the competition will be what it was on WoW.

In fact. I -pray- that the competition doesn't turn into what it was on WoW. 

-shivers-

I second that shiver! xD;; Seen things go from friendly to down right obscene when competition gets involved in WoW. Don't think it will be as bad but still.