Adding atmosphere to your character

Trigonxv

Einherjar, you have no idea how much I love your song choices. Seriously. Both of those songs are simply gorgeous. I have a friend who loves the Nier OSTs a lot, but I admittedly never paid too much attention to his posts... Next chance I get, I'm definitely going through those entire soundtracks!

14ZkxaV7fQQ

I love adding music to my characters--I've been doing it since I first started roleplaying on forum boards ^^ A few of my characters have actually spawned directly from the mood of a particular piece rather than the other way around.

One thing I prefer doing with it though is limiting myself to using thematic pieces without lyrics (and if it does have lyrics, they're usually cryptic or metaphorical) so that listeners can better identify with the character I'm associating the music with rather than the lyrics/message of the song itself. In my opinion, anyway.

-Cough- So anyways, this is the music I picked out for Merkaris since his original development as a D&D character. He carries with him a blissful outlook on many things in addition to a powerful sense of adventure and a limitless amount of curiosity. To me, this particular piece brings to mind images of green, windswept fields and pathway, urging such a traveler forward towards unexplored lands. All the while, however, there is a sense of depth along with the idea that it is not just the world being explored, but the character himself. :3

I chose two because I couldn't pin it down to one. So, one with lyrics, one without.

Felix is a very happy(outwardly, anyway), outgoing and friendly person. He Loves people and lives to make friends. His uncle gave his life to save him, and then he was split from his family during the calamity. 

Hardship, chaos and sorrow is no new thing to many of the stories behind characters in Eorzea, but this song here represents how Felix might currently feel. Despite his outwardly loving, cheery and friendly personality, underneath he is depressed and most of his negative emotions are directed inwardly towards himself.

This song basically explains how everything happening around Felix is falling apart. It explains how Felix wants to be saved and that he is reaching out and trying to save himself, and find friends to help save him. But despite that, 'the audience is gone', which would be his lack of any true friends or family. He is alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8E6Vp0W47I

This song I chose because it really represents Felix's pursuit for peace and harmony in his sphere. This song has a sad-ish, meditative tone that portrays Felix and his desire for peace and happiness.

Side note: I didn't include Felix's favorite song that he plays on his pan-pipe here, despite it having a decent roll in his story. :)

Hope you guys like them!

One thing I prefer doing with it though is limiting myself to using thematic pieces without lyrics (and if it does have lyrics, they're usually cryptic or metaphorical) so that listeners can better identify with the character I'm associating the music with rather than the lyrics/message of the song itself. In my opinion, anyway.

Same I tend to try and find theatrical pieces or orchestra's when determining a piece of music for my character as you can see by my song choice xD

I think I finally settled on a theme for my character.

[video=youtube]

Always had an infatuation with Arcanum's soundtrack (even though I still haven't managed to finish the game yet :blush: ). Also this performance is amazing so I thought I would showcase them rather than the usual ingame track.

I think it suits Adolar's uncertainty as he ventures off on his own. He's just drifting along, not really sure of his destination or if that destination will lead him to the answers he's looking for. Kind of a bittersweet song where it's not really too happy or too sad.

This is one that actually kind of inspired my character Athral, and I put it on his WIP wiki page. It's interesting how music can really inspire a character. It'd be fun to make a character up entirely from musical inspirations and see what happens. The more eclectic music listeners might come out with something pretty crazy xDfisFuWEHoTs

Fystrael is very much a teenage girl under all the leather and metal.  See!

j7_lSP8Vc3o

I love 2NE1 and that song... was thinking about having the song for my Midlander Masika Rosewood. ;P

6cgQ76eEYAU

And here is Taijha's song, I absolutely *love* Shimatani Hitomi. It's a song about loving someone. :)

• 1 month later...

So, lurking around the forums, I stumble across this gem of a thread! Now, I honestly could never and probably WILL never give any of my characters a 'theme' song. Or more accurately, I could not give them just ONE 'song' to their name.

However, certain songs that merely reflect certain stages/aspects in a character's life (like many have done so in their posts) would be much more feasible. Unfortunately, I could see myself doing if there wasn't an INFINITE amount of epic music out there to choose from xD

There is one song, however, that IF my character could ever represent the epicness of (not the other way around since this song would own the character by sheer win xD), it would be this:

[align=center]rFEZotg8DtU [/align]

I am quite honestly surprised that this song did not appear as a song of choice for a character yet. I've no doubt that there is at LEAST one person who could bring justice to this song by their character xD Then again, the songs I've listened to that have been chosen are all epic in their own way, aye? Too much epic in one place :P I guess I'll call dibs IF Tobias could ever hold a candle up to the sheer awesomeness which is Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna xD /fanboy