The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central)

YesGood

What do you do at the tournament?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do at the tournament?

Very fun night to all involved!  Really appreciate people taking the time to form it up, moderate, and judge!

Also special thank you to those watching and to my two guild mates, Rhogog and Haru, in letting me beat them up.  Also to Tierith Hawke for some awesome moves!

While I cannot promise 100% attendance - I will say I will do my best to be part of this as much as possible!

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked, even though I probably won't be in game tonight due to an eye injury - Grindstone still on for tonight even though it's Christmas?

I cross post it to my FC's events calendar, and someone pointed out that it fell on Christmas. xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Grindstone has always been more of a Fight Club type event, which focuses on the physical combat arts, rather than spellcasting. Rough and tumble fighter combat, and it's a unique thing they've got going. Keeping it purely physical also keeps a lot of "class balance" type problems that always come up between spell slingers and melee combatants from arising - keeps it all simple.

As mentioned, no one has really tried doing a dualling group for mages, and I really don't think anyone would get offended if someone did. Probably would take a lot more in the way of rules than purely physical combat though, which is likely why no one's done it yet.

Also, re-cross posted on the Dark Embers calendar. Had to remake it cus of damn DST bullshit and Enjin. T.T

It doesn't really matter to me because I loathe emote fighting, but... 

... seriously? You exclude mages? What the fuck? So if you have a character who is a spellcaster they simply aren't allowed to participate?

Care to explain?

First off, Darkfae has the absolute right of it. Time and time again I've attempted to come up with a fair set of rules for spellcasters to use, but in the end, magic and most importantly people's vastly varying approach to magic in FFXIV makes it exceeding difficult to dictate any real rules for it. On top of that, the use of summons, whether faeries or primals, and then healing and such complicates everything. Trimming the abilities handicaps the classes; pitting them against physical fighters makes things vastly more difficult unless those physical fighters have supernatural abilities which many of ours do not.

In the end, the Grindstone rules are meant to be quick and easy. When I created the Grindstone there were plenty of mage or magic-oriented FCs and LSs so I thought doing something for the physical fighting characters to -show- that they were doing their thing and to experience another side of roleplay (emote fighting, as you call it) would be a great idea.

So far I've regretted nothing.

I've stated this before and will state it again: We don't discourage magical combat rpers. In fact I encourage it. And I'm always open to listening to suggestions on how we can make combat with all magic classes a feasible idea.

But right now it's simply not one for us, and I apologize if that makes you feel excluded, it was never my intention.

Magic users are always free to participate using physical combat skills.

ALSO

Soon there'll be a change. Wednesday nights are moving to Friday nights and there may be some change in whether or not it'll be training nights again or a slightly more advanced tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I ended up going completely on a whim actually; almost missed the starting lineup. Apparently, Sophia is a fan favorite! Probably for her absurd aggression against any and everyone bigger than she is (which is pretty much everyone at the Grindstone lol). I'll have to get her there more often, a few people have said they missed her in the past few weeks she hasn't attended.

• 3 weeks later...

This FRIDAY, 2/25/14 @ 10 PM EST the Closed Tournament for the Grindstone will have its first trial run. The roster is open to individuals who:

-Have participated in one Grindstone event on Saturdays

-Have been invited by an Overseer or has challenged/been challenged by an Overseer to a trial duel.

The trial duel will be an inspection of how realistically you use your more advanced character techniques to assure that there will be no conflict in the official tournament. You will be evaluated by your Overseer and you -must- be open to constructive criticism and improvement. If you are denied, you are free to reschedule and attempt entry again.

There are a few changes:

1. In order to participate in the Closed Tournament you MUST fulfill both of the above requirements.

2. The Closed Tournament will track the wins/losses of all its fighters for in character purposes.

3. Enhancement magic and abilities -ARE- allowed (i.e. chakra, fortification, speed increase, dragon soul, beast within, bardic songs, etc. etc.)

4. Healing is still -NOT- allowed.

5. Offensive magic is tentative.

6. Firearms, non-lethal poisons, and other accessory weapons or substances with temporary effects (blinding powder, etc.) are allowed.

7. Assistance from any individual or summon (faeries, carbuncle, egi, etc.) is strictly prohibited.

8. Fighters MUST be capable of restraining themselves. If necessary, wards will be applied to the fights to prevent potentially devastating moves to have lethal effects, but in essence the fighters must be disciplined.

---

The outlines above are subject to change as necessary.