The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central)

YesGood

What do you do at the tournament?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do at the tournament?

Definitely going to try participating this week :)

And we will most certainly be there to host for you.

Lili might try dragging her fiance along for the ride! So that will be fun.

... wh-what happens if they have to face each other in the squared circle? Should I prepare popcorn?

Also, I keep finding myself saying this but... barring surprise RP that keeps him away, Chachan will hopefully be attending the Grindstone this weekend. Maybe I can see about dragging Leanne and Virara along too. Get some real chaos going.

Banned from participating for ponies.

Don't go there, Warren, please? I see enough of this on Youtube comments.

why on God's green earth would you willingly read youtube comments

Oh god, are you insane? Why would you read YouTube comments?

There is only one acceptable way of experiencing youtube comments.

Another week, another Grindstone! We had twenty three people show up on time to punch each other for entertainment.

HyfzvBi.jpg

Despite being a little... understaffed when we began, everything got off rolling and before long, the mass combat was underway again.

pAQ1w10.jpg

In a dramatic fashion, last week's champion Flynt "The Hyena" Reddard was eliminated soundly in the first round by someone making their Grindstone debut! Sigrid Jerriksdottir managed to put the dog down with a thorough trouncing.

Our final match ended up being another Grindstone veteran, Percival Turner, against yet another new face! Kyuu'saw Yuusatu managed to fight his way through three other opponents to meet Percival at the end of the line.

AwOgaUc.jpg

In a long, intense match, Percival ended up being the winning party. Seriously, you could cut the tension with a knife. They both defended a dozen times in a row before finally letting the winning blow go through!

We can look forward to some finer tuning on some of the rules and the opening speech. We do not want a repeat of what happened this week...

LvBqe3D.png

Double finally: I've decided to keep my Grindstone notes in a googledoc. I usually track everything in Excel, but that's difficult to share. So, I hereby present what should hopefully be a weekly-updated track of every fight, as well as some other trivial data that I managed to jot down.

You can view that spreadsheet here.

Just wanted to pop in to give kudos to everyone for a fun time! It was the first time I've ever participated, and Caex'ra and Raik were both especially helpful and patient while I figured out Rolz. c:

You'll be seeing more of grumpykins Meiko.

A very fun time last evening, at the Grindstone! Also a great big thank you to the guys and gals, taking time out of their evening to make this event happen! 

n0FEGth.png

The line up from the fighters perspective.

h3i7b5e.png

Kyuu holding his ground in the Semi-Finals last night!

JW0M3WJ.png

The nail biter final bout, of the evening. These two kept exchanging blows for what seemed like ages!

I'm bummed I couldn't stay up for the finals, been a blast to watch so far.

Grats to all the winners and a nod to all the participants. Hopefully next time everyone is more clear on the rules and everyone will get to walk out with everything them came in with.

At some point I'll enter, once I have this temp character ironed out. Was nice to see some more names to attach faces to as well.

Ive noticed a few people using rocks at the grindstone before without them being in their initial inventory of weapons. Isn't that considering cheating/Fighting dirty, since a rock will cause sever injury if aimed to the head and the fact that they grabbed it from the surrounding environment means they were using underhanded means to obtain another weapon. (IE: Cheating)

Just an honest request though: Could we possibly have the use of rocks banned from the grindstone due to risk of severe injury (due to the possibility of a severe concussion to potential death by caving in and crushing the brain) as well as anti-cheating measures to avoid underhanded tricks or attacks.

((ive put this in spoilers to avoid it taking up too much space, or dont know where the discussion thread for the Grindstone is if there is a secondary one.))

You're fine. I check the thread regularly enough because I can't see notifications because it isn't my thread!

I thought about rocks and sand being specifically mentioned, but I don't want to restrict TOO much. If you are pressing the offensive after disarming someone and they scrabble for a rock and try to bash you wish it, I'm going to chalk it up to it being your character's responsibility to prevent that attack. Headshots aren't off limits, and in the case of hand to hand fighters, they're part of the normal kit. It wouldn't be fun or reasonable to declare "concussion risks aren't allowed" because that's further inhibiting everyone (and specifically, giving more people things they might overlook which results in me getting a thousand tells tattletaling on people for bending rules).

Throwing sand is a little more suspect, but again, jabs to the eyes and other "dirty" shots like kidney blows aren't disallowed either. In both cases I'm going to have to say they'll be allowed just because it's silly to not allow them.

It's already difficult enough to get people to obey two rules. Adding additional clauses isn't worthwhile, especially given the nature of them.

Ive noticed a few people using rocks at the grindstone before without them being in their initial inventory of weapons. Isn't that considering cheating/Fighting dirty, since a rock will cause sever injury if aimed to the head and the fact that they grabbed it from the surrounding environment means they were using underhanded means to obtain another weapon. (IE: Cheating)

Just an honest request though: Could we possibly have the use of rocks banned from the grindstone due to risk of severe injury (due to the possibility of a severe concussion to potential death by caving in and crushing the brain) as well as anti-cheating measures to avoid underhanded tricks or attacks.

((ive put this in spoilers to avoid it taking up too much space, or dont know where the discussion thread for the Grindstone is if there is a secondary one.))

I'm not Warren but everyone announces their weapons of choice at the start before pairing, so I think there's an unspoken rule that you have to name what you're using? Unless someone specifies "and whatever I can get my hands on", I think that's violation?

Then again, as stated, it's an unspoken rule and not an officially stated one as far as I know. It might be lumped into the whole "no magic, no skullduggery" though. Warren will probably have a proper answer - if he hasn't already during my writing of this.

Though, now I'm amused on a different note. I kinda want to see someone claim "My weapons, AND yours" during a Grindstone. Someone who disarms the other person and attacks them with their own weapon could be interesting.

EDIT: Ha, knew it. Beaten to the punch. STILL wanna see someone Jackie Chan a Grindstone now, though.

Not at all. I'm still figuring this thing out myself, so there's going to be some working as I get comfy in my role for as long as I have it.

It's sort of the opposite of what Chachanji said: No one declares it because I expect people to rely on that should they be disarmed. It's not the same as suddenly whipping out a knife and throwing it or anything like that; I doubt people are sleight-of-handing in some big stones to brain people with.

Nobody get any ideas.

CHACHANJI, HAVE I EVER TOLD YOU THE STORY OF HOW SOME NEAR NAKED GUY DEFEATED THE BEAST?

CHACHANJI, HAVE I EVER TOLD YOU THE STORY OF HOW SOME NEAR NAKED GUY DEFEATED THE BEAST?

NO, SER WARREN, SHOULD I BRING THE POPPING CORNS?

That makes sense, though, I guess. It's not declared because it's a given. Chachan wouldn't do something like that (he'd probably just punch folks with his gauntlets or something), but it is certainly something to keep in mind.

The way I look at it, stones and the like are part of the environment and equally available to both fighters in a match so I -personally- don't take issue with it. It's just up to the character themselves whether or not they're of the persuasion to use them if an opportunity arises. But an undeclared weapon is an unfair, one-sided advantage. Just my two cents! x:

The way I look at it, stones and the like are part of the environment and equally available to both fighters in a match so I -personally- don't take issue with it. It's just up to the character themselves whether or not they're of the persuasion to use them if an opportunity arises. But an undeclared weapon is an unfair, one-sided advantage. Just my two cents! x:

I am of a mind with this, its partially the last point being the reason why I wanted to bring up the stones in the first place.

If it's not declared, it should not be allowed, tbh, its your call warren. You get to decide how we beat each other up.

Canon: Warren is master hand from Super Smash Bros.

Someone who disarms the other person and attacks them with their own weapon could be interesting.

I've seriously contemplated doing this several times! (RNGesus permitting) But I always struggled with if it'd really be Sounsyy's style. In Sounsyy's backstory, in her very first Coliseum match, her opponent disarmed her of her spear and clocked her with it. Why she has the scar on her left cheek.