Unofficial RP Server is Besaid

Kylin

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the worst thing that could've happened.

Nope, but it's enough to talk about.

Ranting is my way of keeping light.

well I'm not going to give it any more attention, it's fun has worn out and it's become menial.

*point* *glare* *points at bedroom* :evil:

There's no way we can ever please everybody. For every server name, there's at least one person out there who hates it no matter the circumstances. I'll be honest. I too don't care for the name "Besaid." But that's beside the point. We had a vote, it won, and now we have a central place for role-players to gather. And that's the most important thing above all else.

I wouldn't worry about the troll, guys. He/she will continue to whine, no matter the response to their immature posts.

When it comes down to the name, I think names will grow on us. The server will be defined by us, by our community, and by our experiences, and soon we'll have a great deal of pride for the name. It's just change, and change is often difficult for everyone, even if it can be good. :D

I'll be the first to say that there were times during the vote that I got a bit critical. I'll also be the first to say that it wasn't my choice of server, either in a hypothetical world where we could name servers whatever we wanted or in the world where we have what we have. And I also logged in on Lindblum when it looked to be winning, made a character, and got working.

But Besaid won. It's our server. And any discontent I had is going to be put to the side at this point, because the important thing was making the decision one way or the other.

Ah, democracy. The thing so touted around the world, the thing held up as a shining example...the thing everyone loves until you realize that not everyone agrees with you and your guy/choice/whatever lost. xD

Didn't like Besaid. Voted Trabia myself. Don't care. Because y'know what? I believe that the Venn diagram of "people who won't roll on a server because that name is 'teh ghey'" and "people who would likely grief RPers" would look almost like a single damn circle. Hell, the hatred most people have for FFVIII is half the reason I voted Trabia in the first place, figured we'd encounter less trolls that way.

Of course, those complaining about a troll should, y'know...stop feeding it >.> Personally, I'm not so sure BloodHecate is a troll...I don't think these posts are made specifically to stir up trouble, she's just over-reacting and expressing the point poorly. I kinda see where she's going with the "if x then y" bit, but I'm also concerned about the fact that she's gonna hurt herself jumping off a slippery slope so quickly like that.

In fact, I have the perfect solution to the problem. Castiel, here's what you do. Install a filter in the forum (just like the profanity filters on some boards) that automatically changes Besaid to Fluffywuffymuttonchops. Regardless of the actual server name, that shall be what we refer to it as. Because Ren's right, that's an awesome name.

The Ty has spoken. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

Oh, also?

*point* *glare* *points at bedroom*

Kinky. Quiet, demanding type. Best go along with it, Vareal. Otherwise the whips and chains come out.

Unless you like that.

Yar, when you have a community this large, you'll run into some pretty diverse individuals. All of us express our opinions in different ways, so I guess the best you can do is be understanding, say your peace, and if it falls on deaf ears, just move along.

Also, keep in mind as we continue to grow, this community will only get more and more diverse (aka more ppl not agreeing on things). But as long as these disagreements are voiced in a healthy way and handled in a respectable adult manner, I don't foresee any problems.

I don't mean to pry' date=' but you'll have to explain to me why this is such an issue.[/quote']

ok' date=' srsly, I'ma stop flamming this thread. Bloodhecate, seriously, why?[/quote']

Because I can't get all these awkward images of a beach, Wakka, Tidus, and all the overly different things from Final Fantasy X than the more Traditional Fantasy setting out of my head.

I really do not like the Tropical image that comes into my head every time I see Besaid. I think I'd be a little better off if at least if had to be from Final Fantasy X, was something like Guadosalam, Bevelle, Moonflow, Macalania, or Mi'ihen instead.

I think you are confusing Final Fantasy for D&D Onlne. Final Fantasy games are not your typical high fantasy Tolkein-esque settings. Many FF games have tropical beaches in them.

Are you implying that people from warmer climates don't have a solid mythology or imagination?

Well, depends on which FF you're talking about. Some are more tech heavy, others are more fantasy based. A lot of earlier FFs were more fantasy based. Now a days it's kind of evolved into a steampunkish sort of theme. SE needs to go back to their roots and re-release a PS3 version of IV. That would be win.

Lolvotedrama!

Personally, I think a beach is cool. I voted Mysidia cause FF IV was my favorite, then switched to Istory cause it was a funny pun and there was no way at this point my vote would matter cause it was all between Lindblum and Besaid, then I switched to Kashuan at the last moment because I made a pun about cashews on another thread.

I'm VERY happy with Besaid however, even if I hated FF X (didn't quite hate it as much as I found it completely uninteresting), because there doesn't seem to be any other huge groups planning to go there, last we heard.

As much as I love the name and the game where Mysidia is concerned, it would have been awful for us, considering how many (and what kind) groups were planning to go there.

the only thing I can add is that if there had been either a Costa Del Sol or a Black Mage village server, I would've been all over them.

I suppose the responses we're getting here (and on the other big sites) should have been expected. Either way though, nothing is changing regarding server choice unless something drastic happens between now and launch. We'd have the same drama if we chose any other server as well, probably moreso if there were other large communities going to the same one.

Yep, bee-SAYD. Almost like it's spelled. (The second half has a long "a" rather than the short sound you'd expect.)

I really could care less about the server name. It's useful to me insofar as it's a reference point, but if they wanted to just call it FFXIV-SERVER-X THEME that'd work just as well. The name stops mattering after about ten minutes.

Yep, bee-SAYD. Almost like it's spelled. (The second half has a long "a" rather than the short sound you'd expect.)

I really could care less about the server name. It's useful to me insofar as it's a reference point, but if they wanted to just call it FFXIV-SERVER-X THEME that'd work just as well. The name stops mattering after about ten minutes.

But what an agonizing ten minutes it can be :P

But what an agonizing ten minutes it can be :P

I find it helps if you mentally replace the potential server names you wanted with names you would never get but you want anyway.

For instance, I'm really upset that we didn't wind up on the Gilead, Serenity Valley, Normandy, Thedas, Exodar, or Kryta servers. ;)

Well, one positive way of looking at this is that it all balances out.

The other towns servers in Final Fantasy XIV would normally have the advantage of having a nice name while Besaid would have the disadvantage of being the truly unfitting and out of place one, being simply awful and a worst choice to many people, including myself. Having the most important communities on the internet acts as a counterweight, giving the poor thing a fighting chance. Making the place more bearable and equal for many people than it already is. And I suppose that's an entirely fair compensation, taking a notably bad or cringeworthy server and bringing it up to the level of the other servers through sheer overwhelming importance of it's community.

I'd also like to remind people here that the conversation between me and others started by simply me stating that "I am disappointed" in no more than a fairly solemn way, and others responding "Why" continuously. If there was anyone provoked here, it was me. There's too much of a tendency to judge post of a minority opinion as as being a troll. A troll is a provocateur who's purpose is to rile up and disrupt a community. That some people had come in recently to call me a troll, immature, and a griefer for nothing other than admitting to being made in any way unpleasant, sad, or disappointed by a turn up, is highly disturbing.

Voicing a disappointment is healthy way for people to get relief in a situation they find unsatisfying. If many people in the community were simply saying "I am disappointed over the Final Fantasy XIV fatigue system, but I will have to grit my teeth and bear it." instead of provoking other fans of the series, I think the entire fanbase of this game would be in a lot better of a position right now. And the former, like I have done, is a lot more mature than what the majority of the Final Fantasy XIV fanbase is currently engaging in.

I, certainly, meant no means of sparking drama. I expressed honest disappointment, for my own relief. I did not intend to invoke hard feelings between members, which is my understanding of the term "drama" in it's usage on internet fora. And I wish that people would be more understanding when people are disappointed by an aspect of a game and voice so in a reasonable fashion, instead of blaming someone who is dogpiled of being a troll, immature, a griefer, or whatever derogatory label to draw further ire from the majority. It's this sort of thing that does exactly what a troll does to a community, make it more uncomfortable for people than it has to.

In any case, I'm feeling a little less annoyed by the name now, and my mind has gotten more used to the fact one very good and important thing has a very noticeable drawback, at least as far as more frivolous things as server names are concerned. And being able to voice my feelings on the matter here and elsewhere, like others, has certainly helped bring me to this more comfortable point. I'm still not comfortable with and never will be comfortable with this server name, but I'm not feeling that overwhelming shock I was feeling yesterday. Not enough to have been taking this too seriously in my mind yesterday that is, but enough that now I don't have half as big of a desire to express my disappointment as yesterday.

In any case, I'll always slightly cringe when I see that server name and am reminded I'm on it, and will always have to keep telling myself things like "it's just a name" or "it's the people on the server who matters" or pretending on on a server than I'm not and giving it a nickname. Like other have said, things like that happen. I was a little bit shocked that it was my least favorite, though. I still feel like ending this off with another vocalizing of my disappointment, I know I'm not going to likely get a number favorite name, that's highly unlikely and overexpecting, but it was a bit shocking and disappointing to be one of the few choices I actually hate. What a case of sore luck.

That was a lot of text. Just mentioning. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. It won't change though, so I see no point, on either side, about going on and on about this topic. We have the server. That's the important part. What it's called makes no difference.