Classroom-type Roleplaying (Now open for Instructors/Apprentices Sign ups!)

First off, no, this isn't an attempt to bring Hogwarts in Eorzea, so relax and keep on reading. This is an idea that has been bubbling in me for a while now.

Back when I joined XIV, I had expected the Disciple guilds to be hotspots for RPers searching for talk-shop RP or generally finding others interested in roleplaying their same disciple. But alas, no matter for how many hours I'd camp the Ossuary, Stillglade Fane, Mealvaan's Gate, the coliseum etc. It just doesn't seem these places are much appealing to some.

And it's a pity too, because I was dreaming to see thaumaturges studying together, conjurers preaching and meditating with their adepts in the Stillglade Fane, or pugilists sparring in the ring, preparing for the next tournament. Why am I always the only archer practicing in the Gods' Quiver shooting range?

And so I thought, maybe there are roleplayers who would be interested, but are just not sure on where to go. After all, I too have second thoughts when I see a place always empty, and find myself forced to seek RP at the Adventurers' guild for a cup of ale and some friendly banter with the other patrons.

So here is an idea, what if maybe we had people willing to take the role of "teachers/mentors/professors" of the many guilds out there? And no, I'd not force them to sit there all day and hope for apprentices to show up. Rather, I'd like to use this thread to schedule "classes", which can be weekly, or monthly, or daily, however it pleases the "mentor" roleplayers. Like real classes, they'd only last one, two hours at most, and.. why not? There could even be tests issued, be it practice tests to evaluate IG or written tests to post on the forum. The schedule would be up for the mentors to set up, and the attendance would obviously not be mandatory (though it may affect the performance during tests).

The roles of mentors can be covered by multiple players, and the subscription to the classes is absolutely free. If you think you have a certain good knowledge of the lore around a certain art or disciple, be it purely in-game knowledge or also IRL knowledge (For example, IRL herbalists may have a good time giving lessons of Botany) that you'd like to share in easy, enjoyable pills, then you may be the kind of person good for this role.

Here are examples of types of disciplines that could use mentors and classes to be had:

DISCIPLES OF WAR AND MAGIC

- Gladiators' Guild (The Coliseum);

- Pugilists' Guild (Platinum Mirage);

- Marauders' Guild (Coral Tower);

- Lancers' Guild (Wailing Barracks); 

- Archers' Guild (Gods' Quiver);

- Conjurers' Guild (Stillglade Fane); 

- Thaumaturges' Guild (The Ossuary); 

- Arcanists' Guild (Mealvaan's Gate);

DISCIPLES OF THE HAND

- Carpenters' Guild (Acorn Orchard);

- Blacksmith's Guild (Naldiq & Vymelli's);

- Armorers' Guild (Naldiq & Vymelli's);

- Goldsmith's Guild (Eshtaime's Lapidaries);

- Leatherworkers' Guild (Fen-Yll Fineries);

- Weavers' Guild (Sunsilk Tapestries);

- Alchemists' Guild (Frondale's Phrontistery);

- Culinarians' Guild (The Bismark);

DISCIPLES OF THE LAND

- Miners' Guild (Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern);

- Botanists' Guild (Greatloam Growery);

- Fishers' Guild (Fishermans' Bottom);

OTHERS

- Chocobo License School (Bentbranch Meadows);

- Minions Training School (Location to be chosen);

- Gardening School;

- Dancing School; 

- Musical School; 

- First Aid Training;

- Engineering;

Of course classes are not to be taken exclusively in the guilds, but it'd be good practice to -start- the class there for everyone to know where to gather, and them move to other sections (The mannequins out of the cities come to mind, for fighters).

If people do not want to cover a static role as mentors but wish to give classes every now and then, they could be chosen as "guests" for special lectures.

EDIT: Becoming a mentor implies in no way a major authority of the existing guildmaster NPC. Mentors would still be official members of the good, amongst the "seniors", but by no means superior to the guildmaster.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[align=center]Blue, excellent thinking, have a promotion reputation.[/align]

[align=center]I, too, find myself in these places wondering where everyone is, and what makes the Quicksand so popular? My character's a sort of an early Final Fantasy styled Freelancer, so there's no way he could be a professor, but an on-and-off mentor would fit him fine with his roaming habits.[/align]

[align=center]Blue, excellent thinking, have a promotion reputation.[/align]

[align=center]I, too, find myself in these places wondering where everyone is, and what makes the Quicksand so popular? My character's a sort of an early Final Fantasy styled Freelancer, so there's no way he could be a professor, but an on-and-off mentor would fit him fine with his roaming habits.[/align]

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to see I'm not the only one wishing to see other places more popular. I think starting these 'mini-scheduled events' in the guilds could bring them back to life a little, and it's okay if you don't feel like taking a teacher spot. I'm sure there are others who would do it!

Personally, I have Vincent Laucent who, while young, has been a conjurer of Stillglade Fane for some years now. He could serve as a teacher or assistant teacher, but at the same time, I'd love to attend to some CNJ lessons as Blue, so for now my offer for Vincent's employment will be secondary.

That's a great idea! My old FC did something like this for crafting professions awhile back. We had a 1-2 hour lesson every weekend with a different profession each session. Lots of fun and you got to level your crafts as well! Unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to doing it weekly now but I'd be happy to give a lesson once a month. In the past, Rinh has taught weaving and alchemy, although she's also skilled in botany and of course is a competent arcanist.

Were there any particular days/times you were thinking of running them?

That's a great idea! My old FC did something like this for crafting professions awhile back. We had a 1-2 hour lesson every weekend with a different profession each session. Lots of fun and you got to level your crafts as well! Unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to doing it weekly now but I'd be happy to give a lesson once a month. In the past, Rinh has taught weaving and alchemy, although she's also skilled in botany and of course is a competent arcanist.

Were there any particular days/times you were thinking of running them?

Thanks for your support!

As I said, the schedule would be up for the mentors to decide, and it's the students' responsibility to be there in time for the class, much like in a university or college of sorts. If you ever feel like doing one class event, simply post "My character will be in X location at Y time for Z hours to give a class.". It'd work like any other Scheduled Event thread, so interested people who want to attend will likely reply, and if there's scheduling conflict, they can be worked out!

As of now I'd like to attend any kind of class, I have characters interested in many and every disciples (I play 8 of them, so if one doesn't practice a craft, the other certainly does). So if anybody wishes to give this a try, don't be afraid!

I've got a character that could be conned into doing the Botany classes, or part of them if someone wants to team up on that. She'd be more inclined to a "field trip" type of setup, and I'd be playing her more towards my RL knowledge of herbal lore and wild foods/medicines.

I've got a character that could be conned into doing the Botany classes, or part of them if someone wants to team up on that. She'd be more inclined to a "field trip" type of setup, and I'd be playing her more towards my RL knowledge of herbal lore and wild foods/medicines.

Awesome! I'll put down your name for Botany. If there is enough interest, we could work on scheduling the first botany class RP^^

Great idea, I have seen some so far and it seems to work well.

I'd be happy to help, though my character is more in the "alternative" approaches to things which could help those who just want to know how to pop that heal spell without all the theory (fits for xclass skills IC).

I have a character that could attend such things supposing a friend of mine feels up to it and offers the chance for him to accompany her. He could actually possibly instruct or be an assistant instructor for sword training provided any occurs in Gridania, though it sounds like a lot of responsibility and I would be afraid of doing a poor job so I am not so sure about that.

Additionally, I have a fill-in character that could participate in the carpentry end of things though likely not as a student(well, at least not a novice).

Depending on how things go I may pop in occasionally to encourage the numbers a bit. Good luck with this ^^  It sounds like an amazing idea.

I am busy with two plots, and participating in FC stuff, but I believe I would have time to play the role mentor/instructor once a week for anyone who wants to develop their lancer skills.

Kiht is a graduate of the Lancer's Guild, and has been trained by an ex-knight. She is also a scout and hunter, so I always thought it would be fun to teach wilderness survival. She could tack that knowledge on with Lancer instruction, maybe.

Kiht is not legendary status with her skills, so she won't be of any help to those that play their characters as Dragoons, but any novice or intermediate lancers could benefit from her lessons. I can also guarantee that her lecture style would be entertaining, and her tests will likely be "fun" :evil:

I am busy with two plots, and participating in FC stuff, but I believe I would have time to play the role mentor/instructor once a week for anyone who wants to develop their lancer skills.

Kiht is a graduate of the Lancer's Guild, and has been trained by an ex-knight. She is also a scout and hunter, so I always thought it would be fun to teach wilderness survival. She could tack that knowledge on with Lancer instruction, maybe.

Kiht is not legendary status with her skills, so she won't be of any help to those that play their characters as Dragoons, but any novice or intermediate lancers could benefit from her lessons. I can also guarantee that her lecture style would be entertaining, and her tests will likely be "fun" :evil:

Yay! This will be a great time for Kujh'a, my lancer alt^^ He is eager to become a great fighter, but has a literal phobia for female Keepers xD I'll add your name to the list. When you feel up to try and announce your first class, post the schedule here!

Yay! This will be a great time for Kujh'a, my lancer alt^^ He is eager to become a great fighter, but has a literal phobia for female Keepers xD I'll add your name to the list. When you feel up to try and announce your first class, post the schedule here!

In order to set a schedule, I need to know what times people are available as I would want at least two students. Mondays during the evening PST, or afternoon on weekdays. That is when I am usually available.

Or should I just announce a time, and wait by the Lancer's guild for a while at that announced time?

As I said, the schedule would be up for the mentors to decide, and it's the students' responsibility to be there in time for the class, much like in a university or college of sorts. If you ever feel like doing one class event, simply post "My character will be in X location at Y time for Z hours to give a class.".

In that case, I'd definitely like to do Weaving once a month, perhaps the last Saturday of the month, at maybe 9 pm GMT (4 pm EST). I'm not sure if that's an inconvenient time for NA players but, if it is, someone else could always run another class at a different time?

There's an actual teacher in the Botany guild? My character is supposed to work there, so I'd find it awesome if she could get into any actual class!

I'd also be happy if the Conjurer's guild got a teacher. That'd be especially good to take Clover's RP somewhere.

In order to set a schedule, I need to know what times people are available as I would want at least two students. Mondays during the evening PST, or afternoon on weekdays. That is when I am usually available.

Or should I just announce a time, and wait by the Lancer's guild for a while at that announced time?

I thought the way you handle scheduling in the Ishgard threat was pretty good, so you can probably do the same here, and I'll do my best to keep the OP updated with dates for the classes. It doesn't have to be every time the same day and hour either, as RL or other IG duties happen, and it's perfectly normal to have to move a mini-event, especially one that is relatively short like this. I will definitely be there as a student (as Kujh'a Lihzeh), so count on one student for sure!

As I said, the schedule would be up for the mentors to decide, and it's the students' responsibility to be there in time for the class, much like in a university or college of sorts. If you ever feel like doing one class event, simply post "My character will be in X location at Y time for Z hours to give a class.".

In that case, I'd definitely like to do Weaving once a month, perhaps the last Saturday of the month, at maybe 9 pm GMT (4 pm EST). I'm not sure if that's an inconvenient time for NA players but, if it is, someone else could always run another class at a different time?

Great! I'll sign up for Weaving classes. You don't have to do them every time at the same day and hour, but if you can, by all means. And since you are an european roleplayer, it's only normal that you'd run on GMT hours. Weaving, huh? I'm sure I can find someone interested in starting the craft among my characters, so count on my presence!

Put me down for mentoring at the pugilist's guild. Friday evenings would work best for me, but we'll see what people need. :thumbsup:

Signed! Post here when you want to give a try with a sure date and time. I know I will be there as one of my alts!

As I said at the time of discussion over the Linkshell, I am more than happy to do aetheric practice and theory lessons at any of the guilds. Would most like be one a week on a Saturday, alternating between the three.

I will write down your name for the three DoM, though I want to make sure everybody knows that every faculty can have multiple teachers, so if anyone else is interested in doing DoM classes along Nako, or devote to the faculty of a single disciple of Magic, don't hesitate!

There's an actual teacher in the Botany guild? My character is supposed to work there, so I'd find it awesome if she could get into any actual class!

I'd also be happy if the Conjurer's guild got a teacher. That'd be especially good to take Clover's RP somewhere.

Yes, the Botany guild got the offer of Mae (With her character "The Gardener".) She will set up a schedule soon as she feels ready, so be there for your first Botany class 8-)! If you instead wish to attend it as a teacher or an assistant of the teacher, talk with Mae via PM or IG, and I'm sure you'll work it out. She did mention she is open to co-op classes with other Botanists.

And yes! Blue would definitely love Conjurer classes! Hopefully Nako or someone else will set down the date for a class soon!

As I said at the time of discussion over the Linkshell, I am more than happy to do aetheric practice and theory lessons at any of the guilds. Would most like be one a week on a Saturday, alternating between the three.

I will write down your name for the three DoM, though I want to make sure everybody knows that every faculty can have multiple teachers, so if anyone else is interested in doing DoM classes along Nako, or devote to the faculty of a single disciple of Magic, don't hesitate!

Yes, the Botany guild got the offer of Mae (With her character "The Gardener".) She will set up a schedule soon as she feels ready, so be there for your first Botany class 8-)! If you instead wish to attend it as a teacher or an assistant of the teacher, talk with Mae via PM or IG, and I'm sure you'll work it out. She did mention she is open to co-op classes with other Botanists.

And yes! Blue would definitely love Conjurer classes! Hopelly Nako or someone else will set down the date for a class soon!

This will be great for my conjure, Saxon could use the training and studying^^

Posters throughout the taverns, and settlements of Eorzea can be found with the letter below written on them.

[align=center]

Fellow Eorzeans!

Do you want to be an adventurer? Mayhaps you wish to join one of Eorzea's Grand Companies? Or mayhap you just want to learn an art of self-defense?

The Lancer's Guild is open for recruitment!

This time-honored art of war has foundations in many cultures, and has withstood the test of time. From hunters of yore, to heroes of legend, the lance has served the races of Eorzea, and beyond since the dawn of civilization.

With adventurer numbers on the rise, graduates of the guild have been commissioned to return to the guild to provide instruction, and testing in the ways of the Lance!

Whether you are young or old, novice or intermediate, you are welcome to come, and attend classes for nothing but the sighing up and acceptance of Guild Master Ywain!

Be able-bodied, and bring a fine lance if you have one. If you do not have a Lance, one will be provided for you. However, supplies are limited.

[/align]

Well that was fun to write :) Anyways, Kiht Jakkya, graduate of the Lancer's guild is holding a class on ONE of the dates and times listed in this link. Please put in your name and vote your availability. I will do the class on the day/time where most will be available.

http://doodle.com/qn5f8pshbwpuc2bp

BTW, this is a great tool for any instructors who want to use it to make their schedules. No annoying adds, and no sign-up required.

The times I choose are two-hour time slots, and in the PST time zone. We may or may not take up the whole two hours. Sorry if the times I picked suck for EU players :( I live all the way over on the West Coast of the US. Maybe some other Lancer instructors will step forward to offer classes at different times?

Hey kiht do you think you could have the wilderness survival as its on class because some people including me may want to take that specific class but aren't lancers.

After much thought I decided to put my RL horse training experience into practice and offer an alt as a chocobo riding instructor^^ I will need some time to prepare her, and then I will schedule the first class.

This is ideal for:

- Aspiring riders wishing to approach the world of chocobos;

- Riders with somewhat problematic birds seeking help;

- Wanna-be jockey riders wishing to get trained for their first race;

- Military units in need of a license for their personal chocobo issuance;

- Riders whose license has been confiscated for fines, misdemeanor and the like;

- Riders in need of license update or upgrade (This will involve just a test).

Stay tuned for the scheduling!

((Note: In order to ensure a relaxed environment for the chocobos, it is currently forbidden to attend to the class with mounts of different nature. Riding/Training sessions for extraordinary mounts will be taken separatedly as needs call.))