Warriors of Light and Family Members

If a member of someone's family was a Warrior of Light, does the family forget that person entirely? Or do they forget, but remember them when they see paintings or other pieces of evidence that that family member once existed?

I was pondering this in regards to an NPC for a plot.

This is an interesting point. I wonder if maybe they remember the family member but also have a more convenient memory of them in place. I seem to remember a cutscene in which Alphinaud and Alisaie hinted that the people of Eorzea "elected to omit" the details in their minds. 

I think, perhaps, that the families of these WoL did the same. When they think back on the person, maybe it is a memory of them falling valiantly in battle. Or maybe they created another excuse in their minds as to why that family member is no longer around. I do think that the theory of them completely forgetting the existence of said family member is plausible however. I would hate to be forgotten though so I find the previous mentioned situations more comforting.

From what I gathered, I find it odd that those like Minfilia or the Grand Company leaders have some way of remembering previous Warriors of Light, whether they 'look familiar' or what not.  I assume it's based on willpower for remembering a Warrior, but family would have an easier time, since items from the past about the Warriors were not erased with their disappearance, as far as anyone could tell with the spell Louisoix cast.

One of my online people did it in a very interesting way.

Her family had no memory of her at all. Period.

They only knew she existed because of the childhood things left behind. A comb with her name on it, childhood clothes with initials stitched in, old artwork kept in drawers. Her family made a grave for her, only stating the name and "She was our daughter" underneath, because they didn't know anything else about her to write.

From what I gathered, I find it odd that those like Minfilia or the Grand Company leaders have some way of remembering previous Warriors of Light, whether they 'look familiar' or what not.  I assume it's based on willpower for remembering a Warrior...

In the MSQ for legacy characters, this gets addressed around level 20ish...

It's either heavily implied or outright stated by Minfilia (alas, I don't recall which) that those with the Echo were not affected by whatever wiped out the memories of the Warriors of Light. Also, the GC leaders don't seem to remember who was a Warrior of Light; instead, they say that character reminds them of the Warriors of Light, and as the MSQ progresses, eventually they just assume the character must be one, given their exploits.

IMO, family members without the "special stuff" that allows remembering probably remember their Warrior of Light relative, but not any of their exploits. So, they know they have a family member, and they probably know he or she was an adventurer, but they can't remember what they did or why they weren't around. Of course, if you want to twist the knife on your character, I think it's entirely plausible to say that all memories of them were erased. :)

To be honest I always thought of it similar to how Raubahn and the others without the echo handle it. They know -of- them. The problem is that they can't remember vivid details. Their deeds. Their names. Their faces. For families that might seem much harder but it can seem something similar to "I once had a sister named _____ but I haven't seen her in so long. I almost can't put a face to her name anymore. Where has she been? I don't know. Maybe she's dead."

I'm fairly sure that, as vanilla lore goes, the Warriors of Light all fell into the same adventurer category of "not from around here, beholden to nobody." They wouldn't have had anyone left behind to remember them personally. Naturally, this doesn't really mesh for RP reasons. If your character is the outsider-sort implied in the main story, then perhaps whomever you left behind back home is aware that you left but has no idea what ever happened to you. They wouldn't know you made it to Carteneau, so there's no reason for them to be mindwiped about it: All they know is you went off elsewhere and never came back.

One of my online people did it in a very interesting way.

Her family had no memory of her at all. Period.

They only knew she existed because of the childhood things left behind. A comb with her name on it, childhood clothes with initials stitched in, old artwork kept in drawers. Her family made a grave for her, only stating the name and "She was our daughter" underneath, because they didn't know anything else about her to write.

That's me!

I thought I'd shed some more light on it.

Her family has a vague remembrance of having a daughter, varying between family members. Her father barely remembers Armi at all, her sister has some kind of inkling of some memories but can't put a finger on it. Her mother is convinced she exists and she can remember actual events, but not her face. It was her mother who spearheaded the gravestone, because the only conclusion they could come up with is that she was dead. They can't really explain why they can't remember her face or connect the Armi name to the girl who's living and even came to visit them once. Armi, as they see her alive, is a complete stranger to them, but "Armi" this vague idea that someone is missing, is the one they feel any kind of connection with.

This has messed with Armi's mind pretty hardcore, believing herself to be a living ghost.

Weird bit of meta here: If everyone seemingly knows that nobody remembers who the Warriors of Light were, and then there are circumstances like this where people clearly remember an outline of somebody here, wouldn't that in turn clue them in that the person was a Warrior of Light? Wouldn't that then make them unable to remember anything? My mind, she boggles.

It's stuff like that that's exactly the reason I keep myself away from Chosen One storylines.

This isn't so much as a Chosen One storyline as "Anyone who was in Carteneau was skipped ahead" it could be thousands of people, the lore if vague for a reason on that.

Like most things magical (and thats what this memory wipe is) there's probably something that prevents people from making that connection, probably because they haven'r really realized they've forgotten said person, foggy mind or not, so it doesn't really click. OTHER people know Warriors of Light probably, but not THEM. No.

I was trying to sort this out, not for my own characters, but for an NPC. The NPC vanished during the Calamity and I was wondering if the NPC could have been a Warrior of Light even if his family members still recalled who he was for a future plot.

Most of the answers seeeem to be veering more towards 'no'.

This isn't so much as a Chosen One storyline as "Anyone who was in Carteneau was skipped ahead" it could be thousands of people, the lore if vague for a reason on that.

Lore really is vague on who actually gets transported by Louisoux. It raises some interesting questions I think. None of the GC leaders got teleported off the battlefield. One could argue they were a bit removed from the fighting, but I'd venture they were still within Bahamut's blast range. To counter, Cid is depicted as being on the battlefield or at least in very close proximity. Yet he was also not transported. We have evidence of soldiers running past the "Warriors of Light" in their rush to escape Bahamut. They did not appear to be transported either.

So who really gets transported and dubbed a Warrior of Light? Was it only those adventurers blessed by Hydaelyn with the Echo? Or only those within Louisoux's protect bubble? Who knows.