Eorzea as a Whole?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Role-players are creatures of habit and unfortunately flock to popular 'hubs' unless they're spoon fed role-play elsewhere. It's why you're more likely to encounter role-players in a major city rather than out in the game world in pretty much any MMO.

Thankfully there's individuals out there who do take the initiative and strive to take role-play outside of settlements and taverns.

I hate Ul'dah.

Yeah I said it

*Quickly runs up, high fives, and then runs away*

Haha. Anywho, I like keeping my statements simple. I enjoy RPing everywhere whether it's a popular area or not. My character travels and if there is one thing I love about MMO's - it's the opportunity to RP in a scenic area and I can name a bunch of places in Eorzea. You don't need a bunch of people to RP. I have found many times in many strange areas that a simple RP session with even a single character can bring meaning and life. That's what make it fun.

I hate Ul'dah.

Yeah I said it

Ermigawd, Armi.

Liadan hates Ul'dah, too.

I just want to plant more flowers there, personally.

Hey I have flower barrels that you can u...use.....uhmmmm....I've said too much! *dives out the window*

Hey I have flower barrels that you can u...use.....uhmmmm....I've said too much! *dives out the window*

:x  GIVE THEM BACK!

*RUNS* :cactuar:

:cactuar:

It was Lummmmm...... *Keeps running*:P

PS- *collapses laughing out loud as a FC inside joke has suddenly overtaken the thread.*

When I RP Clover outside of events, I do it in Gridania because that's where she lives, and she's not a traveller (yet). I'm not really bothered that most RP scenes are being played elsewhere, however, because she's not a character I want to engage in casual RP with.

I initially created K'mih as a character that was more suitable for casual RP, and she's in the Ul'dah area, so she should have been able to make many friends. However, it turned out her K tribe is not only hidden in the middle of a huge desert, it's also very closed minded and frowns upon strangers. There go my chances to RP her ingame often *laughs*.

So yes, you won't see me contributing much to the casual side of roleplaying, in either of the cities. Circumstances will often decide where characters can and can't RP.

I have found many times in many strange areas that a simple RP session with even a single character can bring meaning and life.

To sum up last night's tells...

Osric Melkire: I'm at Beaconhill Lighthouse.

Xydane Vale: I STILL CAN'T FIND YOU!

Osric Melkire: LOL

I have found many times in many strange areas that a simple RP session with even a single character can bring meaning and life.

To sum up last night's tells...

Osric Melkire: I'm at Beaconhill Lighthouse.

Xydane Vale: I STILL CAN'T FIND YOU!

Osric Melkire: LOL

LMFAO. I laughed so hard when I discovered that the lighthouse was an actual place. *Derp*

I hate Ul'dah.

Yeah I said it

Ermigawd, Armi.

Liadan hates Ul'dah, too.

I just want to plant more flowers there, personally.

Alas, Armi actually likes Ul'dah. She likes the hussle and bussle of the city, but even with her I only tend to RP in the Goblet in her "House", the WING house, or the Grim house (If one can get her in there anyway) because Armi isn't really a tavern crawler and even though she likes the city, she's way too shy and awkward to talk to strangers.

Loki doesn't like Ul'dah at all, generally stays in Limsa and when she does go to Ul'dah people always ask her about Ul'dah lore and she constantly has to go "I don't care about your dumb city."

TO BE MORE PRODUCTIVE, It's why we set up the Rum N Rumble in Mist and when the NB do go to Taverns, you'll find us in Limsa more often. Now-a-days, since our house is in Lavender Beds, you may find us in Gridania too. It's us trying to spread the wealth a little. I think maybe those of us who don't really like Ul'dah should try to come up with a plan to spread it out more. I know, I know, it's more work - but I think the rp community can benefit from more places to rp, then having everyone feel like they have to be a Brass Blade/Sultansworn/Syndicate member just to get into RP.

It's definitely a case of "if you want it, you gotta make the opportunities for it".

The questions that then follow. How bad do you want it? How enticing can you make it? Draw people in etc. Roll your eyes with me, but the VAST VOCAL MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE IN RPC DO NOT LIKE TO RP IN UL'DAH.

It comes up often. All. The. Time. You want it out of Ul'dah, you make it. You RP in places that characters want to be in and will be in? THOSE PEOPLE WILL FOLLOW.

But are you able to do put in the effort to do it? The heartache of possibly the first failure (I doubt it. Say the word and people will flock to it). It's on the people who want it to grab it because the people whose characters are content and happy in the city they're at it?

Why -would- they want to leave?

:x  GIVE THEM BACK!

*RUNS* :cactuar:

It was Lummmmm...... *Keeps running*:P

PS- *collapses laughing out loud as a FC inside joke has suddenly overtaken the thread.*

We pass the barrels around in this FC, therefore Liadan will never know who has them =D.

~~~

Some of yall Ul'dah folks are getting awfully defensive about Ul'dah...

Anyhoo, we can try to see what we can do. I know my FC doesn't go into Ul'dah often but we aren't exactly the event setter uppers either... I can try to see a way around that or promote everyone going into Taverns MORE (We'll just take over Limsa kthanks).

Fallgourd Float used to be a really good spot for pickup RP before 2.2, so maybe now that Wineport is a ghost town now we can relocate there. HMM ideas.

...but I think the rp community can benefit from more places to rp, then having everyone feel like they have to be a Brass Blade/Sultansworn/Syndicate member just to get into RP.

...I really think that you, and others, should talk to people like Gharen, Askier, Aya, Cedric, Verad, etc., before making this kind of assumption.

The political intrigue that results from tensions between Blades/Sultansworn/Syndicate/etc. is a major feature of roleplay in Ul'dah... but you don't have to be a member to get involved. Hell, that's not even all of the RP that Ul'dah has to offer. And that's not even getting into Thanalan as a whole.

This isn't me being defensive. This is me calling out an erroneous conclusion. You don't have to be _____ to get involved in _____.

EDIT: And as for taverns... I only walk into the Quicksand or the Drowning Wench if I want someone to reach out and grab me for RP, guaranteed. The large majority of my roleplay in cities, Ul'dah or otherwise, comes from walking the streets, not from sitting/standing around in a tavern. Personal anecdote, I know, but that's been my experience.

EDIT #2: Let me throw Gus' name in there, as well. Ghost-hunting was hilarious.

It's definitely a case of "if you want it, you gotta make the opportunities for it".

The questions that then follow. How bad do you want it? How enticing can you make it? Draw people in etc. Roll your eyes with me, but the VAST VOCAL MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE IN RPC DO NOT LIKE TO RP IN UL'DAH.

It comes up often. All. The. Time. You want it out of Ul'dah, you make it. You RP in places that characters want to be in and will be in? THOSE PEOPLE WILL FOLLOW.

But are you able to do put in the effort to do it? The heartache of possibly the first failure (I doubt it. Say the word and people will flock to it). It's on the people who want it to grab it because the people whose characters are content and happy in the city they're at it?

Why -would- they want to leave?

Coming as someone who is trying to do her best in Limsa -- it's possible that these people who have spoken up are trying. It's difficult to move a bunch of people. You have to coordinate oocly. RL steps in and slows you down. Keeping track of all the various plot threads (not forum rp, but all the strains of various character interactions) is difficult. Moreso because at least with forum rp you can keep track of everything at a glance.

That, and, most characters have got multiple things going on, and IC connections to other characters. When someone is already in a specific place with specific short or long term goals/plans, it takes a big, whopping change to get them out of that area, because ICly they've got their roots put down and pressing reasons why they need to stay. Nothing wrong with that!

Cue why I'm always jumping all over anyone who even mentions Limsa in their intros! I want them to know that even if they don't see any open rp, there are rpers in Limsa who would welcome them with open arms. Also why I will eventually pm someone who does rp in Limsa (assuming I don't scare them off with my overly exuberant wordiness. . .which I think does happen, occasionally. *coughcough* My bad.)

But, to me, all the joking and encouragement aside -- I think it's perfectly possible for people to rp in numerous places. Some characters will be stuck in only a few places, yes, but I think there are many more whose characters can move between different areas and experience all there is to offer.

Which means it's the people who feel that there isn't sufficient rp or that the setting isn't good enough in other places whose hearts and minds are in need of convincing. ;) The rest will fall out during the rp.

So, my point: Some rivalry is good. Some good natured ribbing about not liking Ul'dah, or Limsa, or Gridania is good and not meant to be insulting or putting down those who do like the area. But I think sometimes it's important to remember that any rp in any area is good rp, and we should all be encouraging to the rp wherever it happens -- whether or not we're participating. We should remember that fostering rp isn't easy for everyone. Some people want a chance to rp elsewhere, but are themselves shy or terrified of the idea of reaching out. That's okay. It's those people we should be the most supportive towards, even if we can't understand why they're struggling to move, or whatnot. :)

Well, I'm all for it as I said. I just need an IC reason to leave Ul'dah since Crofte is supposed to be keeping the royal bath nice and foamy. I'll just have to try wandering around more often and see what happens.

It's like farming mats... only it's RP.

...but I think the rp community can benefit from more places to rp, then having everyone feel like they have to be a Brass Blade/Sultansworn/Syndicate member just to get into RP.

...I really think that you, and others, should talk to people like Gharen, Askier, Aya, Cedric, Verad, etc., before making this kind of assumption.

The political intrigue that results from tensions between Blades/Sultansworn/Syndicate/etc. is a major feature of roleplay in Ul'dah... but you don't have to be a member to get involved. Hell, that's not even all of the RP that Ul'dah has to offer. And that's not even getting into Thanalan as a whole.

THe problem is that line right there. It is a BIG deal in Ul'dah roleplay and something not everyone want to get involved in. It's not an insult, it's just the truth. Giving people more options isn't a bad thing, here. I'm just stating a fact - the Brass Blades/Sultansworn/Sydicate thing is a HUGE thing in Ul'dah and some people may just not want to be involved and have other options. I know Aya is a waitress at the Quicksand, which is obviously easy to get into RP with because everyone goes to the quicksand. She's probably had her share of dealing with the Holy Trinity above. If you are a player in uldah you deal with those three things automatically, whether to you want to or not.

This is just an idea for another OPTION.

THe problem is that line right there. It is a BIG deal in Ul'dah roleplay and something not everyone want to get involved in. It's not an insult, it's just the truth. Giving people more options isn't a bad thing, here. I'm just stating a fact - the Brass Blades/Sultansworn/Sydicate thing is a HUGE thing in Ul'dah and some people may just not want to be involved and have other options. I know Aya is a waitress at the Quicksand, which is obviously easy to get into RP with because everyone goes to the quicksand. She's probably had her share of dealing with the Holy Trinity above. If you are a player in uldah you deal with those three things automatically, whether to you want to or not.

Then, if correct me if I'm wrong, your real issue with Ul'dah is inevitably colliding with the political intrigue scene, as opposed to "I HAVE to be a ___ or else I don't get into RP".

The former is understandable.

The latter is just incorrect.

I just want to make sure, because with topics like these, miscommunication sucks. People get the wrong impressions on both sides of the fence, etc.

Which means it's the people who feel that there isn't sufficient rp or that the setting isn't good enough in other places whose hearts and minds are in need of convincing.  ;)  The rest will fall out during the rp.

So, my point:  Some rivalry is good.  Some good natured ribbing about not liking Ul'dah, or Limsa, or Gridania is good and not meant to be insulting or putting down those who do like the area.  But I think sometimes it's important to remember that any rp in any area is good rp, and we should all be encouraging to the rp wherever it happens -- whether or not we're participating.  We should remember that fostering rp isn't easy for everyone.  Some people want a chance to rp elsewhere, but are themselves shy or terrified of the idea of reaching out.  That's okay.  It's those people we should be the most supportive towards, even if we can't understand why they're struggling to move, or whatnot.  :)

QFT. I give you major props Zhavi for the work you do to foster the RP you love and want. The same goes to everyone who does the same.

I'm just going to make my last post about this topic here. The only reason why I am vocal about it is -because- Ul'dah is hammered all the time here in RPC. Almost every time something about it comes up about the locations of RP there is "Ul'dah is horrible place to RP in gawd" "I wish it wasn't the hot spot." "If I really want RP I have to go there."

Just like if you want RP outside of FCs or LSes, if you put that small step, you'll find it. Sometimes there's a stumble here or there but you'll find it. Like I said, there's no small amount of people who want out of Ul'dah RP.

I've yet to see any sort of RP in Limsa and I've had to chill there for longer than anywhere else with two exceptions which were events (one I couldn't participate because it was over when I logged on). Gridania is devoid of RP when I'm on.

So it's Ul'dah or bust because between standing in the Quicksand and at least watching RP happen and standing in the Wench with barely anything happening, the former is more entertaining even if I end up having zero RP that night.

I've yet to see any sort of RP in Limsa and I've had to chill there for longer than anywhere else with two exceptions which were events (one I couldn't participate because it was over when I logged on). Gridania is devoid of RP when I'm on.

So it's Ul'dah or bust because between standing in the Quicksand and at least watching RP happen and standing in the Wench with barely anything happening, the former is more entertaining even if I end up having zero RP that night.

Challenge accepted.

PM ON THE WAY.

Have you considered the idea that is why people like Ul'dah? It's cool to be in a place that feels alive, where you can make a call over the LS and law enforcement shows up. Where you can see the Sultansworn standing around keeping an eye on things, and the brass Blades might shake you down for bribes in an alley, where you can see the flames go out and make sorties.

I think that stuff is cool, and I like to think all of us are a reason why people like RPing there.

Perhaps a more constructive use of this thread would be to ask, "Why is Ul'dah so popular?" and then, "Can we learn from that in order to make the other cities feel more alive."

I'm not saying Ul'dah isn't popular. in fact if you read my post above:

TO BE MORE PRODUCTIVE, It's why we set up the Rum N Rumble in Mist and when the NB do go to Taverns, you'll find us in Limsa more often. Now-a-days, since our house is in Lavender Beds, you may find us in Gridania too. It's us trying to spread the wealth a little. I think maybe those of us who don't really like Ul'dah should try to come up with a plan to spread it out more. I know, I know, it's more work - but I think the rp community can benefit from more places to rp, then having everyone feel like they have to be a Brass Blade/Sultansworn/Syndicate member just to get into RP.

Because there are people who don't care about that sort of thing and hate Ul'dah, they just have a quieter voice because they don't know where to go. This isn't about cannibalizing the Ul'dah scene. Yall can have your city and the stories that go along with it, this is about wrangling more people who don't want to go there and have no options otherwise.

IN FACT, Rurutani DID ask that question you told him to ask and he was beat down by a bunch of people going "WHATS WRONG WITH ULDAH"

First sentence in his post:

I know Ul'dah's the hot spot, and Limsa coming in second (I guess?) But I wonder why places like Gridania, Coerthas, or Mor Dhona don't have much if any rp going on there?

I'm not saying Ul'dah isn't popular. in fact if you read my post above:

Because there are people who don't care about that sort of thing and hate Ul'dah, they just have a quieter voice because they don't know where to go. This isn't about cannibalizing the Ul'dah scene. Yall can have your city and the stories that go along with it, this is about wrangling more people who don't want to go there and have no options otherwise.

IN FACT, Rurutani DID ask that question you told him to ask and he was beat down by a bunch of people going "WHATS WRONG WITH ULDAH"

First sentence in his post:

I know Ul'dah's the hot spot, and Limsa coming in second (I guess?) But I wonder why places like Gridania, Coerthas, or Mor Dhona don't have much if any rp going on there?

Fair enough, then maybe we should think about organizations in the other two cities that could use fleshing out? Maybe someone could make group of Wood wailers, or Yellowshirts for example.

Edit: For example, being a Poacher in the blackshroud would currently be pretty lame, however if there were active wood wailers, you could play some games of cat and mouse, similar to what villains do in Ul'dah with law enforcement.