Just Another Night at the Quicksand (Open)

Coatleque finally worked up the nerve to stand once more. She turned and walked around the column and sidled up next to Warren, but she resisted the urge to pull him away. Her gaze fell over the bard with a half annoyed look.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. Ser Castille already has dinner plans tonight, I believe."

She may have just been tired, or perhaps there was a genuine twinge of jealousy. Regardless she immediately regretted the next words from her mouth.

"Unless you can't work on an empty stomach, in which case I hear the crow is quite nice."

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brynnalia eyed the red-headed woman with a look, a wide-eyed smirk that hinted at both anticipation and amusement. "Oh?" She canted her head as she looked her up and down. "Recovered from yer fall I see. Sobered up fast enough." 

"And who might ye be? His bookkeeper?" She swayed closer to both of them. "Because dear kind Warren here was just helping poor old me feel back at home with some company. Ye would not begrudge a girl fer wanting a handsome specimen like that across the table, hm?" She winked at Warren, then at Crofte with a wider grin. The bard certainly was not shy.

She clucked her tongue. "Tsk tsk. Crows. Such gamey things are for those who waste time indulging in silly things like propriety." She shrugged. "I prefer to sample all sorts of meats." She gave the room a quick scan, noting quite a few men. "Chest or thigh? That would be my dilemma. Not hens or crows." 

Green eyes flickered to the red-head again. "Have ye sampled some recently? Ye look hungry."

In complete deadpan, he responded to Kage "oh, I'm so hurt. Is that really how you think of me? I suppose this menace will have to go break a wall or something later, maybe start a fight while I'm at it." It was of course, said in jest. Even he has had his full of fighting and violence for a while. 

He saw Coatleque make her way over to Warren and the bard. Asking the table, "think she's ok to stand?"

Coatleque recoiled at her statements, unsure of how, or which one, to respond to first. She just sort of stammered. "I... you... what?" She realized her mistake in getting into a battle of wits with a bard of all people. Then the remembrance of her earlier commotion came back to mind, pushing all other thoughts away.

"I am no drunkard! I am Lady Coatleque Crofte of her Resplendence's royal guard!" She managed to straighten herself as she spoke now. "And wot do ye care who I am to him?" Without focusing, her accent began to resurface in her speech. "Why if'n ye so hungry there are plenty o' other specimens over that way!" She waved her hand towards Kage's table.

"If ye are so famished, I suggest ye pick one o' them instead." Her expression changed to one of momentary confidence. "And I do not sample."

It was extremely late. Too late to go home, too tired to want to. She walks to the bar and quickly glances at the patrons as she took a seat a baron stool. Her hand releases a tattered bag full of fish. It settles on the ground, slightly opening. Her forehead reaches her forearm on the counter-top before another thought was made;her blondes strands falling over her shoulders within the same motion. Shortly after sitting, she realizes how awful she smelled.

‘Great..’

She cringes and tucks her nose into her sleeve which didn't seem be any better.

“Arg..”

She lazily stares at the free dangling strands of hair and awaits the bar keep. As she waits, she listens intently at to the crowd she passed on the way to the bar. Eavesdropping has always been enjoyable. She was never surprised by what she heard but often times what she was hearing always managed to make her smile.

Kage's nose twitched and he frowned a bit but he regarded the rowdy disturbance of more importance.

"Ser Crofte, I think it obvious now that I do not sample either and the only person I have any interest is the one I already love. Aye, love. M'not going to busy bush this. I love Natalie, no sampling is going to happen with me'n Brynn."

Franz just sat in his seat, watching the entire spectacle between Crofte and the bard when he noticed the smell.

"Ugh...What is that?" as he pinches his nose for a moment. He decides to breathe through his mouth for the moment, hoping the air cannot be tasted over his drink. 

Looking at the most recent arrival to the Quicksand, he out. "Oi, something you can do about that?" It was an expected rudeness on his part, but no amount of "polite" Ishgardian influence could caver it up.

"Lady Coatleque Crofte of her Resplendence's royal guard..." Brynnalia repeated, almost slowly. She tapped her chin methodically in thought. "Now why does that initial ring--" She was about to continue when another inhalation led to a discovery of an incredible smell. She immediately frowned, a baleful glare given as she eyed the one dragging in a sack full of what could have been fish shite. She stepped around the pillar, putting as much distance between the bar and herself, although remained close enough to be cozying with the two paladins. She gave the Miqo'tes at the nearby table a passing glance, but her glance really just lingered on Highlanders. And this day, it was the two by the pillar in particular.

"Now Lady Coats," she began again, easy smile falling back into place. "I was about to suggest that ye should really consider sampling." She gave her a pitying look. "Because ye look rather famished yerself. It must have been long since..." The Highlander shook her head with a dismissive wave. "But I see now ye be a Lady. Highborn, well bred, I know yer type. Chaste until the ring is put on yer finger. Aye?" She nodded once, almost in deference. "My apologies. I knew not I speak to a Lady."

Aya watched the bard, and her verbal probing of the paladins.  The barb of her words belied the gentle smoothness of her voice - she knew what she was doing - or did she really?

The barmaid's rapt attention, perhaps better otherwise spent on waiting patrons, was suddenly broken instead by the smell of fresh (or not quite so fresh) fish assaulting the area near the bar, born quite fragrantly by the Highlander woman who had just entered.  The girl's expression soured for a just a moment, before she was able to set her wits back about her.

Displaying a courage difficult to muster for even the most hardened adventurers, Aya lifted herself up, sliding along the service-side of the bar, appearing in a moment opposite PipPip, wearing a soft but pleasant smile.  She canted her head, fingers rapping gently upon the bar.  Her voice expressive in its soft, smooth tones, bearing the accent of her common Ishgardian upbringing, "Ma'am, your, um... produce, seems to be bothering some of our patrons."

Natalie's ears perk up and she wriggles her nose. "Something smells good. Kage can you see if they have fish?"

She gets up and walks to the two women, clearing her throat and placing a hand on the bard's shoulder, "Hey... I think she's had enough. No one loves to tease her more than me, but you've gone from teases to insults, and I don't appreciate insults to my friends."

Kage watched Natalie walk away with an expression of dismay and... hesitation on his face as he turned to eye the new stranger. Fish was delicious yes but Kage preferred that the fish be cooked thank you very much.

Kage shook his head before approaching Aya, breathing through his nose a bit. "Does Momodi have any fish dishes, particularly cooked fish dishes?"

The bard glanced over her shoulder, her attention drawn by the hand on it.

"Well hello, pretty." She winked, her grin not wavering. Then she slowly arched both her brows with a roll of her shoulders. "Insult? Is callin' someone a Lady an insult now in Ul'Dah? If that be the case, she brought that upon herself. I was merely correcting m'self."

Natalie rolls her eyes, and drops her hand. "You know what you're doing. Don't insult us both by making me spell it out. I'm not sure why you're so insistent on attacking her.

Her face widens into it's own grin, "Oh..." She chuckles softly, "Oh ho ho ho."

"Don't tell me you're jealous?"

ryWQQpO.gif

The bard canted her head to the Miqo'te, her best patient look in place. She clucked her tongue. "Trying to deflect attention from Lady Coats here? Want more fer yerself? I think ye be the one that is jealous. Not gettin' enough attention from yer lover boy there?"

Brynnalia lazily looked from Natalie back to the paladins. "I am not sure why ye think I am insultin' the half of a rather handsome pairing here." Her smile returned, as enigmatic as it was. Her own usual accent was slipping back into her words as well, but she did not care. "I was just makin' friends. Talkin' about what to eat. Our appetites. Isn't that right?"

Koorow realized she must have dozed off a bit after being roused by what sounded like an irritated man.

"Hm..?" 

A sound barely uttered from her lips as she sat herself back up. It took a moment for her to regain full awareness.

"Oh!" 

She looks down towards her bag and quickly pulls the drawstring to tighten it. Though, in all honesty, it did very little to conceal the smell. After hours of dealing with the scent, she becomes quite immune to how pungent the odor can be.

She raises a hand to gesture her apologizes towards the man and looks for the barkeep. Unfamiliar with the establishment, she quickly deduces that it is currently 'self-serve'. Propping herself up, she uses her hands to push and lift herself over the counter-top to the bar side. Her hat falls off during the process. Shortly after scanning the variety of spirits offered, she ops for a glass of water.

"Mm.." 

The cool liquid couldn't reach her mouth sooner. It must have been hotter then she remembered. She shouldn't underestimated the desert heat but when the weather is prime, she could never resist a good catch. She does so unaware of the current attention bought upon her unusual aroma.

Coatleque stood there unable to respond. She opened her mouth, then closed it again, then opened it once more. By that time Natalie had come over and... defended her of all things. She had been disarmed twice over now by both the bard and her comrade.

Her gaze shifted between the two women, then up to Warren, then finally back to the Bard. "Apologies, Miss, but I appear to have lost my appetite."

Aya, the barmaid who was just across the bar from PipPip, waiting for a response from the Highlander woman, watched in utter bewilderment as the woman instead started to pull herself across the bar. 

With a nimble sidestep Aya barely avoided a collision between the two, catching the falling hat in her hand.  As PipPip seemed to idly scan the bottles behind the bar, Aya just blinked in further confusion, before giving her head a sudden shake as if trying to stir herself from a dream, "Ma'am?  Ma'am?  Do you even know where you are?"

She looked over toward Warren at the pillar, her eyes more than a little alarmed at the sudden intrusion into the server's area.   She turned back in time to watch the woman downing a glass of water she had apparently poured for herself, the water somewhat warm without the cold of a specially chilled glass for the occasion.

Aya's voice returned with a gentle earnestness, mixing with concern and alarm, as she continues to hold the woman's hat.  "Ma'am I hope you realize that water is not free in the desert~"

The Knight was once more taken aback by all the innuendo being thrown around, but she shot Natalie a cold glare as she blatantly uncovered the subject matter for all to hear. She huffed over her words but decided she had said enough. Rather than invite further insult she simply wrapped her arm under Warren's and stood by his side, staring into the floor.

temper temper temper temper temper focus

The gentle tug of his arm was enough to defuse his initial reaction before it could erupt and reflexively squeezed his arm against his companion's. He did spare a disapproving look at both of the bickering women as he turned himself and Coatleque away from then, letting his hand slip from hers but quickly pressing the flat of his hand into her lower back, guiding them away. He looked at her profile intensely, then leaned in to whisper something.

'!'

Koorow choked a bit suddenly realizing there was indeed a barmaid there and she had just hopped the counter to practically steal a drink. She swallows the rest, wipes her mouth and places the glass down.

"I..." 

Awkwardly, she hops back over the other side and takes her seat as she once was. She defiantly need sleep and a bath and at this very moment, she wouldn't mind drowning in it either.

"...I'm sorry." Her cheeks were now a blush red.

She offers the woman a forced smile and reaches into her pocket to withdraw a few pieces of gil. This reminds her that she must meet the merchant soon. She places the gil beside the glass and rests her forehead on the counter-top in embarrassment only to notice that her hat was no longer on her head.

Alarmed, she perks back up to search for her hat. Immediately she notices that the barmaid was holding it. 'Oh come on...'