So you Think you can Dye your Chocobo

Got Soot Black this morning. I'm pretty pleased with how my feathered friend turned out. I'll admit I did a lot of guess work with it. I tried following the chart but I ended up all over the place. Wine Red to Deepwood Green with One feather proc? (What the heck!?) But from there I just gave him two valfruit and he popped out Soot Black.

PwmUVeI.png

I got Snow White using the original link. It said new feathers were growing after the third plum, but I continued to shove the next 20 fruit or so into it as well. :chocobo:

Twelve, woman. You're going to give that poor bird diabetes. Moderation! Gods!

I got Snow White using the original link. It said new feathers were growing after the third plum, but I continued to shove the next 20 fruit or so into it as well. :chocobo:

Diabetes from fruit? We're not safe anymore! :bouncy:

With the amount of running that it does, I'm sure it'll be fine. If not, SE will give me a new one, money back guarantee.

Diabetes from fruit? We're not safe anymore! :bouncy:

With the amount of running that it does, I'm sure it'll be fine. If not, SE will give me a new one, money back guarantee.

-stare-

Anyone know how to get from Loam Brown to Dalamund Red?

According to the chart:

- Feed Pineapples until you see ONE "growing new feathers" message. Wait 6 hours.  This should take you to Wine Red.

- At that point, feed Plums until you get ONE "growing new feathers" message.  Wait 6 hours. This should take you to Midnight Blue.

- Once you are at Midnight Blue, feed Pineapples until you get ONE "growing new feathers" message. Wait six hours.  You sholud be at Rolanberry Red.

- Once you are at Rolanberry Red, feed Pineapples until you get ONE new "growing new feathers" message.  This SHOULD get you to Dalamud Red.

If it does not, you may wish to feed the bird a lemon and start over.

You should have gotten multiple "growing new feathers" messages.  Each one of those signifies a color change, so you can normally figure out where you're going to be by counting those messages.

Anyone know how to get from Loam Brown to Dalamund Red?

According to the chart:

- Feed Pineapples until you see ONE "growing new feathers" message. Wait 6 hours.  This should take you to Wine Red.

- At that point, feed Plums until you get ONE "growing new feathers" message.  Wait 6 hours. This should take you to Midnight Blue.

- Once you are at Midnight Blue, feed Pineapples until you get ONE "growing new feathers" message. Wait six hours.  You sholud be at Rolanberry Red.

- Once you are at Rolanberry Red, feed Pineapples until you get ONE new "growing new feathers" message.  This SHOULD get you to Dalamud Red.

If it does not, you may wish to feed the bird a lemon and start over.

If that works you'll get one ic Hail Mother out of me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone's posted a Pumpkin Orange ref yet, but I got one from 11 Apples, 8 Berries, and 7 Pears. I fed him one of each fruit, in that order, and just repeated the pattern until all the fruits were exhausted. This method got me from Desert Yellow to Pumpkin Orange on the first go.

For anyone here who may still be deciding on what color they want, know that the screenie below has not been color-altered in any way, so it's as good an indicator as any of how your end product will look. The only editing it got was a mild Diffuse Glow filter (I'm just partial to it on my XIV screenies :blush: ), and I took care to keep said glow away from the plumage so you could get a good look at the coloring. I know I had a hard time deciding if I wanted this color, because I couldn't find any reference screenies for this shade and it's one of those colors that can vary a lot with what you see it on, so you just gotta see it on the chocobo itself. Hope this helps! :love:

(sorry about the small thumbnail - I wanted to give y'all a close-up)

15304262_10154594218831113_4455803378789498496_o.thumb.jpg.64a78ca13204c50efe799119f446bcfa.jpg

So I've been messing about with dyeing a bit, and think I've pretty much got the system down. I didn't see anyone else posting the exact numbers for each fruit, but I have a hard time reading how the forums look right now so I might have missed it, if so, sorry.

The numbers for what each fruit does is as follows:

Zelphatol Apple        +5 Red, -5 Green, -5 Blue

Mamook Pear            -5 Red, +5 Green, -5 Blue

O'Ghomoro Berry      -5 Red, -5 Green, +5 Blue

Doman Plum             -5 Red, +5 Green, +5 Blue

Valfruit                    +5 Red, -5 Green, +5 Blue

Cieldalaes Pineapple +5 Red, +5 Green, -5 Blue

There is no RNG involved whatsoever, you just need to push it as close as possible to your desired values to round it off to the one you want. Any colour can be done in a single feeding session, but thats more expensive than doing it in multiple (though at current prices still fairly cheap).

The one thing you do need to be wary of is order of feeding. Especially when working with colours close to the edges of the scale (Soot Black, Snow White, and so forth), and feeding a lot of fruit at once. The numbers on any colour cap at 255 max, and I am not entirely sure on bottom cap but I will assume it is 0. If you cap on either value then you will end up throwing numbers off, creating what has been interpreted by many as the element of RNG in the colour process.

My recommendation for that is to rotate which fruit you feed, which will in most cases avoid capping a colour accidentaly in the process.

So far managed on the basis of this to hit Shadow Blue, Soot Black, Colibri Pink and Snow White in one feeding session each, so seems to be holding up.