So you Think you can Dye your Chocobo

So, one of these threads hasn't been started yet where we can discuss the alteration of plumage pigmentation. Because yay pretty colours. Also, feel free to post pics of your altered horsebird. Also, I will update this post as more info comes in.

For starters, you get the seeds from your faction's allied seal vendor (which can be obtained through hunts or mark bills). They cost fifteen allied seals a piece and aren't too pricey. You may want to figure out what you're going to need beforehand with this Chocobo Colour Legend some nice person on the forums did up. It assumes the available colours are currently dyes in the game.

As a sidenote, the dyefruit are as follows:

Zelphatol Apple Seeds - deepens the red hues of their feathers. (+)

Mamook Pear Seeds - deepens the green hues of their feathers. (+)

O'Ghomoro Berry Seeds - deepens the blue hues of their feathers. (+)

Doman Plum Pits - lights the red hues of their feathers. (-)

Valfruit Seeds - lightens the green hues of their feathers. (-)

Cieldalaes Pineapple Seeds - lightens the blue hues of their feathers. (-)

Han Lemon Seeds - restores feathers to their original hue. That means it takes it back to desert yellow (216/175/80), should you really screw things up. 

Next step, you've gotta plant those things. So grab your watering can, cupcake, because you're going gardening. I recommend shroud topsoil for the extra yield, since I haven't heard anything about HQing the dye-fruit. However, you can crossbreed the fruit with other things, apparently. Somebody on the forums claimed to get chocobo feed? 

Okay, so it's been a few days (I think it's three, but can be knocked down with fertilizer) and you can harvest your plants. Now you've got a buttload of fruit! I got twenty seven per plot using Shroud Topsoil II for the extra yield. Now comes the fun part. Feeding your chocobo. As far as I've gathered, one fruit at a time won't always change your chocobo's colour, since it is default at desert yellow. This would put it at 216/175/80 on the colour chart, which goes by RED/GREEN/BLUE, if you haven't caught on to my ever so clever text colouring. Now, as far as I can tell, one piece of fruit will change the associated RGB value by one (1). 

Now, when feeding the chocobo, you will eventually get a message saying " is beginning to grow new feathers." That means a change is coming in six hours. Your chocobo MUST remain stabled for this to take effect. Take him/her/kweh out and you're going to waste effort. Whether or not feeding past this point has any effect is still being figured out by Chocobo R&D. By the time six ours is up, your fluffy, smelly friend should look somewhat different! The button to feed your chocobo is located under 'Tend to my chocobo,' then under 'Feed my chocobo.'.

Now, for a little word problem. Fio has a desert yellow chocobo, named Ser Pecksalot, and he wants a rose pink chocobo. How many fruit and of what type does he require to change Ser Pecksalot's hue?

So, starting out, we have 216/175/80 for the colour values. And the rose pink is  228/153/144. Firstly, let's figure out the differences. Using my highly advanced mathematical skills, I've determined that the integers are +12/-22/+64. This translates into twelve (12) Xelphatol Apples, twenty-two (22) Valfruit, and sixty-four O'Ghomoro Berries. 

Now, I go to my allied seal vendor (or from some person on the market board) and buy the appropriate seeds. For our fabulous manqo'te friend, it looks like he's buying one (1) handful of Xelphatol Apple Seeds, one (1) handful of Valfruit Seeds, and three (3) O'Ghomoro Berry Seeds. He also has a bunch of Grade II Shroud Topsoil from his endeavours in trying to attain his golden pickaxe. And off Fio goes to plant it, water it, fertilize it, and sing to it all for a few days. 

So, come harvest time, Fio has a bunch of fruit that's bitter as hell. Whatever, Ser Pecksalot seems to enjoy it more than trying to steal Fio's glasses. That's a good thing! After several bouts (and six hour lengths of time) of feeding the bugger, Fio should end up with a rose pink chocobo! Isn't he adorbs?

Everything in this guide is still in the rudimentary stages, and is subject to change. Well, most of it. Common source for info is the brave chocopioneers over at the Square Enix forums.

For quick reference, the chart is HERE.

Dalamud Red is Xelphatol Apple x32, O'Ghomoro Berries x22, Mamook Pear x15.

Safest to feed the fruit in that order. You can feed your chocobo as many fruit as you want to within the 6 hour time period. So give it 32 Xelphatol Apples in a row, then 22 O'Ghomoro Berries in a row, etc etc. It may still result in the same color no matter which order you feed it in or if you feed it fruits mix-matched. But when you're using 32 Xelphatol Apples do you wanna risk it? As there is some RNG involved because the game tries to decide which in-game color is closest to the RGB scale numbers you've landed based on the number of fruits you've fed.

I use this spreadsheet to figure out which fruits and how many will get my desired color. I can say that replicating the info on this spreadsheet got my Apple Green choco first try.

FFXIV Chocobo Dye Spreadsheet

Ooooooh Snow White is so pretty! <3

I forgot to gratuitously post my little Apple Green. ^^

NdzJpBl.png

(Doman Plum x4, O'Ghomoro Berries x3, Mamook Pear x2)

I like how yours came out.  Using this same formula, mine came out Sylph green, but I guess that's the RNG at play.  Fed him some more pears to see if it gets his shade where I'd like it to be.

This was just handed to me, I haven't verified it but it might help some folks.

http://i.imgur.com/WNH3nFv.jpg

I've verified several paths on that. Was super happy when we found it. Supported my theory. \o/

This has already been outdated.

Latest version I can find:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1814x979q90/661/vBZmlD.png

I've verified several paths on that. Was super happy when we found it. Supported my theory. \o/

DELICIOUS UPDATES

Edit: that means thank you!

DELICIOUS UPDATES

Edit: that means thank you!

You're welcome. =D

So I gave him his first apple... one damn apple. And I got the "check in six hours" message. Can I just dump all this fruit on him or it this going to be a little bit everyday thing.

It says check in six hours with the first fruit every time. You continue to feed until you get the "growing new feathers!" message, and that indicates a color change. If you use the chart above, it will give you an idea of where you can go with it. Leave your chocobo stabled for 6 hours, and then check him and it will have a short cutscene showing the new color.