Nobility in Eorzea?

Chlodomer

Hey Everyone,

This has been something that I've been itching my head all over for over a month now, I'm very familiar with Ishgard's system of nobility, but what of all of the other nations?

Ul'dah - I'm aware of the Syndicate and the filthy rich nobles that roam around the place.

Gridania - I'm a bit confused about this one, is there an actual nobility within Gridania? I mean I know there's Haukee manor but with how the whole structure of Gridania is, I'm a bit uncertain about it.

Limsa Lominsa - This one's a no brainer, Limsa is just a successful pirate republic, sort of... So nobility is out of the question in that nation.

Would any of you guys happen to have any ideas or explanation as to how the structure of nobles work and in which parts of the world are they present?

*flashes the Sounsyy signal*

It's likely that are rich nobility everywhere. Whether or not they have any power is unknown outside of Ul'dah.

Your take on Ul'dah seems fine by my book.

Gridania and Ishgard are cities with very close ties to each other. It's entirely possible that there could be some big Elezen or Hyur family of nobles that are spread across. While the Seedseers handle the Elementals, I think I remember a reference here or there that there might be some nobles that makes the political laws of Gridania.

For Limsa, while the city itself does have a lot of pirates, it's not out of the question that some wealthy merchant or trader in the city could be hiring some for some less-than-savory acts. I happen to know someone who RPs as a rich Limsan noble's daughter.

edit: Added the Sounsyy signal

So Ul'dah's "nobility" is based more or less entirely off wealth. If you're rich, you earn an elite social status. The world (or at least the city-state) becomes your oyster... so to speak. The six wealthiest individuals in Ul'dah, earn a place on the Syndicate. In a religious capacity, it is seen more or less a waste of your Nald-given life to not strive for fortune and its comforts. That's just Ul'dah's culture.

I believe Gridania does not actually have any nobility. I made a post in a similar thread a while back detailing why I think this is the case.

On the flipside of this, Gelmorra, the subterranean Duskwight city-state which preceeded Gridania, did actually have nobility, per the journal text of The Tam-Tara Deepcroft:

Since its establishment during Gelmorran times, this subterranean crypt has been used for generations as a final resting place for the remains of rulers and nobles.

This might be another reason why there is some confusion as to whether or not Gridania has nobles or not.

Limsa, of course, also does not. As any pirate who acquired such a massive wealth would've been killed for his plunder in all likelihood. The only pirate said to have amassed a great fortune and wealth (both in coin and reputation) was the Dread Pirate King, Rycharde Mistbeard. Pirates and treasure hunters and even the Thalassocracy has spent many years seeking to uncover his massive wealth.

EDIT: This is not to say that someone can't RP a noble in one of these cities or whatever. Just mentioning that, canon, we don't see true nobility outside Ishgard and Ul'dah. However, as I admit in my link to Gridania's Lack of Nobility post... it's entirely possible that yes, a Gentry of some sort is theoretically possible in Gridania, since the city-state has such close Elezen relations to Gelmorra and Ishgard, which both had/have nobility. But the nobility system would be family based similarly to Ishgards and have nothing to do with wealth, as the Pact of Gelmorra prevents any one citizen of Gridania from owning more material wealth than the masses.

So Ul'dah's "nobility" is based more or less entirely off wealth. If you're rich, you earn an elite social status. The world (or at least the city-state) becomes your oyster... so to speak. The six wealthiest individuals in Ul'dah, earn a place on the Syndicate. In a religious capacity, it is seen more or less a waste of your Nald-given life to not strive for fortune and its comforts. That's just Ul'dah's culture.

I believe Gridania does not actually have any nobility. I made a post in a similar thread a while back detailing why I think this is the case.

On the flipside of this, Gelmorra, the subterranean Duskwight city-state which preceeded Gridania, did actually have nobility, per the journal text of The Tam-Tara Deepcroft:

Since its establishment during Gelmorran times, this subterranean crypt has been used for generations as a final resting place for the remains of rulers and nobles.

This might be another reason why there is some confusion as to whether or not Gridania has nobles or not.

Limsa, of course, also does not. As any pirate who acquired such a massive wealth would've been killed for his plunder in all likelihood. The only pirate said to have amassed a great fortune and wealth (both in coin and reputation) was the Dread Pirate King, Rycharde Mistbeard. Pirates and treasure hunters and even the Thalassocracy has spent many years seeking to uncover his massive wealth.

EDIT: This is not to say that someone can't RP a noble in one of these cities or whatever. Just mentioning that, canon, we don't see true nobility outside Ishgard and Ul'dah. However, as I admit in my link to Gridania's Lack of Nobility post... it's entirely possible that yes, a Gentry of some sort is theoretically possible in Gridania, since the city-state has such close Elezen relations to Gelmorra and Ishgard, which both had/have nobility. But the nobility system would be family based similarly to Ishgards and have nothing to do with wealth, as the Pact of Gelmorra prevents any one citizen of Gridania from owning more material wealth than the masses.

Fantastic post you've linked there. I guess this fills in a few holes that I had towards the subject.

I'll digest some of the info provided and will see what I can come up with.

Thanks.

Ul'dah certainly has a nobility in Nanamo. She's got the lineage and status based on her birthright.

OR DOES SHE????

Cuz if a certain Mistbeard legend is true, Nanamo Ul Namo might not have a drop of royal blood in her body. (Which might explain why she's so much sweeter than the rest of her lot...)

Ul'dah certainly has a nobility in Nanamo. She's got the lineage and status based on her birthright.

OR DOES SHE????

Cuz if a certain Mistbeard legend is true, Nanamo Ul Namo might not have a drop of royal blood in her body. (Which might explain why she's so much sweeter than the rest of her lot...)

Whaaaaaaaaat. D:

*tries to like question repeatedly in hopes of answerage*

Yeah, Ishgard have a dynastic, hereditary nobility through its houses and so forth, while Ul'dah have a wealth-based nobility. Prince Teledji Adeleji is a 'prince' insofar as 'merchant prince', not child of the reigning monarch.

Hustings Strip is where all the Ul'dahn nobles live. It's not racially restricted to Lalafellin Dunesfolk either, because that Midlander woman outside the Gladiators' Guild states that 'she does not interact with commoners'. Any of the primary Ul'dahn races could be a noble, either Dunesfolk, Midlander, Hellsguard, and Highlander, though I have a feeling the latter would have the least prominence. There are Highlander GC officers and Sultansworn, though.