Nostalgia!

Been away from a game/MMO/FPS/Etc. for FOREVER and after weeks or months or even years and come back and the feels hit you nice and hard?

Personally, I started RPing in GW2 again and gah...the Ossan District tavern. The BCM people still running around. The beautiful Sylvari...I nearly died! @.@

Enter your own experiences down below :D

The games that gave me major nostalgia feels are nothing but memories now, I can't go back because they're gone for good and no private servers exist (PSO ones are still kicking but its not the same)

I used to revisit Phantasy Star Universe every now and then prior to the PC/PS2 shutdown. I miss Neudaiz I used to spend hours roleplaying with friends there.

...or lobby shenanigans, those were good times.. This is the only PSU screenshot I have on this computer. That guy on the left has been my friend 5ever even though we haven't played a game together since PSU.

5Ndk0v0.jpg

Ughhhhh I'm feeling the nostalgia hard. RP runs through the Mizuraki conservation district, derping around at the hot springs, shoutspam at the entrance to White Beast.

[video=youtube]

The games that gave me major nostalgia feels are nothing but memories now, I can't go back because they're gone for good and no private servers exist (PSO ones are still kicking but its not the same)

I used to revisit Phantasy Star Universe every now and then prior to the PC/PS2 shutdown. I miss Neudaiz I used to spend hours roleplaying with friends there.

...or lobby shenanigans, those were good times.. This is the only PSU screenshot I have on this computer. That guy on the left has been my friend 5ever even though we haven't played a game together since PSU.

5Ndk0v0.jpg

Ughhhhh I'm feeling the nostalgia hard. RP runs through the Mizuraki conservation district, derping around at the hot springs, shoutspam at the entrance to White Beast.

[video=youtube]

Oh god i loved PSO and PSU. I was so sad when they shut down the PC/PS2 server. I tried to play on Xbox after but it just wasn't the same :(

S2 WHITE BEAST PLZ.

While I could go back to Bards Tale and Gold Box DnD, which we RPed over, the game that still holds my heart is SWTOR, but I just don't feel it when I am there any more.

Nebula, gets drugged by an Imperial Agent.. it did not end well for her.

Screenshot_2012-09-19_19_33_07_185600_zpscfe8ef0e.jpg~original

5Ndk0v0.jpg

[video=youtube]

PSU, PSP1 + 2 and infinity are my most favorites.

PSO2 is also amazing. Everything here is all nostalgia to me.

My nostalgia will always be Starcraft.  Just because.

I've never been much of a returner, when I leave a game it tends to be for good. I do look through my old screenshots at times though, and stuff like things from my WoW-time (Where I started to RP some 6 years ago) always cause me the strongest nostalgia. Not because of the game, but because of the people I was around at the time. For all I know, they have spread like the wind and I have probably run into some since without realizing, and with people gone I have no reason to look into returning. Rather I am more fond of moving to someplace new and getting a fresh start. I was a really obnoxious teenager 6 years ago as well so it's probably for the better in the end :P 

Some people from my time there I still am in contact with, but it is maybe one or two. 

I also sometimes really wish I could visit things like Rubies of Eventide again, an old free to play mmorpg that I played before I started WoW, we're talking like a seriously old game with nothing to show for graphics and turn-based combat. But it was a very unique experience in terms of the players that were there and just how the setting was. If you died you lost your items or alternatively had to wait for someone to come and /carry/ you to a temple, which would slow them down because you're carrying a corpse. And I guess there's just something very nice and community bonding about someone taking 30 mins out of their life to come save your sorry little behind because you challenged a cat twice the size of yourself :) I miss that kind of stuff because I don't think I'll ever experience it again.

I used to play Eve Online really heavily. My main character, Shintoko Akahoshi, spent an awful lot of time blowing up other spaceships.

ShinAvatarBig2.png

A good number of these were in her trusty Taranis interceptor. It's flimsy, it's weak, it's fast, and it hits really hard. I loved these ships, and I bought them by the pallet!

taranis.jpg

But for a few glorious months, it was possibly to run both a frigate-sized microwarp drive and a cruiser-sized afterburner (don't worry if this is meaningless to you, it should be!), with the proper skills, in a Punisher frigate. The Punisher was renown for being modestly hard hitting, tough, slow, and powerful. Just powerful enough for those two drive extras, making it a very fast Punisher:

gi5v.jpg

I even made a video about it, sort of a ha-ha only-serious sales pitch for the frigate nobody loved.

[video=youtube]

I'm admittedly fairly new to the world of MMORPG's... so I have to say, all my nostalgia lies in a certain TERA Online:

2i4V9bH.jpg

rqToPQd.png

5T1WPVQ.jpg

Bivi7Wt.jpg

aGsghGS.jpg

38VLatD.jpg

MatO4fH.jpg

CRNw3c9.png

b6YvxRf.jpg

XXDhONy.jpg

CuogBeA.jpg

6n1IZq0.png

c0WmOYo.jpg

XkeoLFR.jpg

6uFxexK.jpg

15oI5NP.jpg

I played this game for about two years since the open beta. Lots of fun times, lots of RP, lots of friends, lots of memories. ;_; TERA still has my heart.

I'm admittedly fairly new to the world of MMORPG's... so I have to say, all my nostalgia lies in a certain TERA Online:

-snip-

I played this game for about two years since the open beta. Lots of fun times, lots of RP, lots of friends, lots of memories. ;_; TERA still has my heart.

TERA wasn't my first MMO (that would be Mabinogi), but it was my first experience RPing in one. Dr. Jana was a very fun character and has definitely influenced my RP to the point that I never really let go of playing her, making my FFXIV character's concept being a younger version of her. How could I not, after playing such a charming lady doctor, world traveler, mad scientist, ecoterrorist, and winner of the prestigious Most #Based Cat award for 2012?

11bc183a93.jpg

10b0e7cfa7.jpg

80563a3d0b.jpg

038f252703.jpg

f2070e0ed7.jpg

876ac24fa7.jpg

I even had a story telling event that I hosted on the server. It was pretty popular for a time.

0b779db3b4.png

Jana was supposed to end up getting killed off, but was saved by the power of friendship. She's officially been retired as an RP character since TERA doesn't have a community conducive to making a big plotline or story, but I like to think Jana's retired to the tropics, sipping margaritas instead of drinking herself unconscious and watching Elin dance-offs instead of forcing them into experiments. I still visit my PvE-focused friends from time to time to chitchat IC.

a188a988b3.png

f842965eb9.jpg

She's officially been retired as an RP character since TERA doesn't have a community conducive to making a big plotline or story, but I like to think Jana's retired to the tropics, sipping margaritas instead of drinking herself unconscious and watching Elin dance-offs instead of forcing them into experiments. I still visit my PvE-focused friends from time to time to chitchat IC.

We also like to think that TERA Val and Fae are off on their own little Island together, living happily ever after with a house full of kids.

TERA_ScreenShot_20130528_031356.png~original

She's officially been retired as an RP character since TERA doesn't have a community conducive to making a big plotline or story, but I like to think Jana's retired to the tropics, sipping margaritas instead of drinking herself unconscious and watching Elin dance-offs instead of forcing them into experiments. I still visit my PvE-focused friends from time to time to chitchat IC.

We also like to think that TERA Val and Fae are off on their own little Island together, living happily ever after with a house full of kids.

Sadly I never could get into Tera. I tried soooo hard lol

I really did enjoy TERA, but it was on the outrageous side. :)

It, honestly, had the best MMO combat that I have ever played.  I enjoyed it so much I really played the game for that long before I RPed in it.  Its a shame that such a wonderful combat system was imbedded in such a thin, lackluster game.

It did, however, lead me directly to FF. If it were not for the group of friends I made in TERA, I would never have even been tempted to try FF. They literally pulled me along despite my "better judgement" :)

TERA's Aya:

Ayxandra_SunsGlare-1.png

It, honestly, had the best MMO combat that I have ever played.  I enjoyed it so much I really played the game for that long before I RPed in it.  Its a shame that such a wonderful combat system was imbedded in such a thin, lackluster game.

It did, however, lead me directly to FF.  If it were not for the group of friends I made in TERA, I would never have even been tempted to try FF.  They literally pulled me along despite my "better judgement" :)

TERA's Aya:

Ayxandra_SunsGlare-1.png

Oooo Aya was a redhead! <3

While I could go back to EQ (ah, the days of Firiona Vie: the Necropolis; the war against Skathris Ven'sho; being The Definitive Evil Bard; raiding Cabilis with Shintou, Cora, and others; annoying the hell out of people in PvP using Selo's Accelerando; etc.), I don't know anyone who still plays it. I still maintain, though, that FV was the way to promote a strong RP environment -- make it just painful enough so that largely only RPers will want to play there -- and for all their missteps, SOE should be commended for how they set that server up.

I've a lot of great memories of City of Heroes, but of course, it's gone now, the victim of NCSoft idiocy, a poor free to play model that alienated a lot of people, and consistently poor decisions by the devs.

I didn't RP much in Earth and Beyond, but it still has a special place in my heart for being the scrappy sci-fi MMO in a market dominated by fantasy.

Sadly I never could get into Tera. I tried soooo hard lol

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of it. I loved it the first month or two of release, but it quickly went downhill. The RP I had dropped and, shortly after, so did I.

...But then about six months later, I was asked to come back and it was about to go free to play, so I said sure. I still hated the gameplay, but it was decent for RP stuff every now and then.

Some old memories...

I, too, was of the CoH days.  It was the first MMO I RP'd in (I was strictly a MU* girl before that).  The community on our server wasn't really an 'RP' community (I played on Triumph) but it had heart.

Salute.jpg

Then there was World of Warcraft.  Bittersweet memories, there.  I played for seven years, all told.  Most of them with a guild that caused a helluva lot of controversy because of poor leadership but had some of the best people in it I ever could have met.  Years later, I am still friends with some of them, so I can't regret it too much.  WoW was also where me and my husband realized that with a good tank/healer team, you could duo ANYTHING so we'd go around the world being badasses (Sonechka and Jineah, gone but not forgotten...:P)

WoWScrnShot_040508_210104.jpg

CursedNoMore.jpg

prettysone.jpg

There was a bit of playing around in LOTRO, SWTOR, TERA...gosh basically everything on the market.  Stuck with GW2 for a while....  RP'd there.  Bittersweet memories with that as well...  Played with the husband and brought back our two dangerous ladies, Sonechka and Jineah.  We were able to finally give them a happy ending.  Out of all the games I've played, I can safely say that GW2 was the one I most wanted to be good.  I watched it from early alpha on.  ...Sadly it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be, community or game-play wise.

Qjuiq.jpg

emuQ4.jpg

j18DFgR.jpg

3XjN6Mc.jpg

Played for a little over a year in TSW.  Met some wonderful people, RP'd some great stories, but the gameplay just didn't have it for me.  I have gone back, from time to time.  It is an easy game to pick up and put down, and the community is wonderful and for the most part very welcoming to folks that wander in and out.  Most recently I was a DJ with the IC radio station RadioFreeGaia.  DJ Tenno sending a little shoutout.

L5wcRvN.jpg

...These nostalgia threads always make me wonder what my old guildmates are doing now... *laughs*

Earth and Beyond was my 1st MMO, so it's the one I'll never forget. I was a Jen'quai Explorer (Jenpie Exploder) who had a pretty good racket in the mining and taxi industries on my server. I had a mine field I favored pretty heavily in Jupiter that I never really saw anyone else at. Surprising, since Jupiter was the Jen'quai home sector. I miss that field, and idling near in the high radiation zones in Valkyrie Twins or bopping around the asteroid belt.

I still get nostalgic for FFXI sometimes. Running through Bastok, the way mandragoras would chase you around in West Sarutabaruta . The Sunbreeze Festival music most of all.

It did, however, lead me directly to FF.  If it were not for the group of friends I made in TERA, I would never have even been tempted to try FF.  They literally pulled me along despite my "better judgement" :)

TERA's Aya:

Ayxandra_SunsGlare-1.png

Oooo Aya was a redhead! <3

...Aya somehow lost her pants.