How would your character handle being ill?

Shayrei

As I sit in bed, wide awake at 2am after sleeping off some nightquil and a high fever whilst praying silently that I don't wake my poor husband up with the cellphone's glow, my mind wanders around thinking of random questions like: how would my characters handle an illness?

I think getting sick would really try Andy the most...

Andralyn grumbles quietly as she's pushed back into bed for the third time that day.

"Sleep."

She moans, pulling up the covers to her red, raw nose and whines,  "M'fine..." 

John shakes his head, grumbling as he leaves the he room again.

Moments pass.

"John? "

"Jooohn? "

"Joooo-"

John moves into the doorway, his brows lifted so high it was almost as if they needed to be so his smile would remain, "Yes, love?"

"M'bored..."

"I'm sorry,  Andy... what can I do?"

"Lay with me."

"You're sick."

"I'm fine!"

"I'll get the newspaper. "

She whines, her head tilted back to release a groan that would send her into a fit of coughs.

John shakes his head and leaves again, patting the doorframe as he goes, "Soup is about done."

She lays, staring at the ceiling fan for a long time, fighting the urge to slip into a pleasant slumber. 

"John..."

"Yes, love? "

"Our ceiling fan is filthy."

"..."

"Bring me the broom."

And so on and so on forever until he threatens to rip every piece of clothing in her closet to keep her in bed and drugs her soup to get her to sleep. THE end.

This is an surprisingly well-timed question to pop up, as I had a scene about Chachan being sick yesterday evening.

As it's noted in his wiki, Chachan hates taking medicine, so when he caught a cold trudging through the rainy streets of Mist in search of his friends' FC manor... well, it led to some interesting events.

His friend coerced and prodded and offered various things to get the young Lalafell to take the medicine when she kept noticing his sneezes. He ultimately had to make a choice between avoiding the "icky" medicine or getting to see a shark jaw. After a lot of whining and waffling, he chose the latter.

... Up until she poured the medicine into the spoon in front of him, which led to a chase and impromptu hide-and-seek session around the manor. He was finally cornered and forced to take the medicine, and he grumpily pointed out her promise about letting him see the shark jaw.

I play Chachan as rather childish often enough, but I think I set a new bar for myself with that one.

Warren's a stereotypical man when it comes to being ill. It doesn't happen often, but when he does get sick he's dying, why can't anyone see he's dying? He needs to lay in bed and not move and have hot soup and sleep a lot and can't go outside and ugh sunlight and sick sick sick.

He does like snuggling, though he'll cocoon himself up first to try and contain the deathly plague murdering him to himself.

that's right i said snuggling what of it

Steel succumbs to the needs of her body in everything except her training. So it would be with being sick--likely, she'd bury herself in all of the blankets and sequester herself in her room until it passed through.

...but she hates medicine. Haaaaaates it. She'll just try to drink it in to submission, depending on the malady.

Berrod isn't ill very often so when it does happens, he becomes very cross. He tends to hide himself away for fear of having others see him in a state of 'weakness'. As a proud highlander, he firmly believes that getting sick at any point in time (other than having a damn virus or bio cast on you...) is a sign that your body isn't properly strong enough to fight it off. He doesn't have the knowledge of how diseases really work, you see.

He would PROBABLY let Caleb or Grimm know -- Caleb, since they sleep in the same bed ANYWAY and Grimm because he would need someone to help run things while he shuts himself up and hides from being seen.

"This? *hackhackhackcough* Just a trifle. *coughhackcough* Gonna take more'n a slight *sneezeachoosnifflesnoooort* cough an' a sniffle to take me down. I survived *coughcoughachoo!* a shipwreck an' th'wrath of *snooooort*--'scuse me-- Leviathan. All I need's a drop of whiskey. *guzzles whiskey* Good for th'constitution. *SNEEZEACHOO!*"

Y'know, it would be kind of funny to have a minor thing about a bad cold being passed around by adventurers. Not really a plot, just an agreed upon "hey, this cold's going around" kinda deal.

"This? *hackhackhackcough* Just a trifle. *coughhackcough* Gonna take more'n a slight *sneezeachoosnifflesnoooort* cough an' a sniffle to take me down. I survived *coughcoughachoo!* a shipwreck an' th'wrath of *snooooort*--'scuse me-- Leviathan. All I need's a drop of whiskey. *guzzles whiskey* Good for th'constitution. *SNEEZEACHOO!*"

Y'know, it would be kind of funny to have a minor thing about a bad cold being passed around by adventurers. Not really a plot, just an agreed upon "hey, this cold's going around" kinda deal.

That's so disgusting but great at the same time lol.

Haven't given too much thought to being ill but most likely Clio would handle it the same way she handles being wounded; ignore it and keep pushing herself until it's too much and finally knocks her on her ass. Then it's still denying help and insisting she's fine while trying to keep going. Not in a "I'm saying no to get more attention" more of "leave me the hell alone, I've got stuff to do still." kinda way. Stubborn girl. xD

Maudit would visit with a trusted medical professional and follow their advice/instructions to the letter.

He.... he might be really boring....

Given the majority approach to being sick thus far, though, he's probably the least likely to keel over from whatever sickness he had.

Oh...I like this question. 

There has only been one time I've every RPed being sick, and that's when a certain mercenary had a very bad case of aethersickness. He'd gone pale, had a horrible headache, couldn't quite think, and was nauseous.  It was RPed out as him moving slowly, speaking in bated breaths, and kind of swaying when he walked if there was nobody there to support him. Basically ready to just topple over and second and hit the floor/whatever was in the way. 

Since a certain "accident" though, Franz hasn't actually gotten sick. But if he did, I think it would play out like below, depending on some of the people he tends  to hang around.

Franz> *cough* *sneeze* *takes out handkerchief to wipe nose*

"Hey Franz! A-Are you feeling alright? You don't look so good..."

Franz> "It's just a cold. I'm fine, really. I'm not going to let some sickness keep me from my tasks, but would urge you to keep some distance, unless you would like to catch it."

"Shouldn't you be resting then?"

Franz> "I should be."

"Then why aren't you?"

Franz> "I just said. I want to finish this thing first."

"GO GET REST NOW!" *pushes and pulls in general direction*

Franz> "..." *gives up on current task*

Franz> "Happy now? I'm in bed. Resting. It's just a cold..."

--

Or it'd go this way.

Person> "Filthy. Disease-bringer. Cretin. Can you go die somewhere else? You're going to make me sick. "

Franz> *walks to room and closes door quietly*

Let's see...

I haven't been able to do a whole lot with her yet, but Melody would probably be good and stay in her room until she's able to safely go out in public again.

Her mother would always make her and Brio stay in bed whenever they fell ill at home.  Since her parents ran a hostel, they didn't want their rambunctious little twins horsing around and infecting all the travelers.

(Imagines teeny Lala tots running around doing cute things.... *squees*)

Since Melody is now on her own, if the sickness were to progress too far she'd probably have Brio go fetch her medicine, or if she didn't trust him that day she'd go get it herself.

Her down time would likely be spent all cuddled up reading, sleeping, and sipping nice warm broth.

:love:

Jana's the kind of character would probably overreact comically to the slightest symptom of illness, running off to the Alchemist's Guild for an overpriced cure ASAP.

Jana's mother died of illness shortly after the Calamity because of insufficient medicine and the family's distance from any proper city, so Jana takes any illness very seriously.

As a hardcore pragmatist and fiercely independent individual both, T'rahnu is... complicated.

She travels a helluva lot so if she did get sick, it would often be well outside of range of her hideaway. As such, as soon as she feels the first sign of illness she hightails it to the nearest population center with a warm bed and available medicinal experts. As a traveler, she is also cognizant of a large number of 'home remedies' for sickness and she'll try them all (usually not all at once, but she'll give anything that isn't horribly painful or disgusting a shot at some point).

She won't let anyone babysit her; that's just not her style. If she gets stuck with a high fever she'll often force herself to move and acquire food even when it's against her body's better judgment. (She'll also secretly lament her lack of a proper caretaker, but she'll never say that out loud.) However, most of the time she stocks up on dried foods to chew on while she's sick to prevent herself from having to move around too much. Pragmatist, remember?

For the most part, when T'rahnu gets sick, few people will know about it (and even fewer will care). She will pretty much disappear from the face of the world until she recovers, and then it's back to business as though nothing happened.

If Evangeline got sick she would assume it was a diabolical assassination plot to end her crusade of freedom.

She'd handle it in a normal way, medicine, rest, etc. However she'd spend the whole time in bed writing pamphlets about how it was a Syndicate plot.

Oswain doesn't get sick!  Or at least that would be her attitude until she's so sick that she's bedridden, and even then its only to lie down for a little while... really... I'm fine... I'm just going to..

And then falls asleep for days until she's feeling better.

Zhi's a fan of anything that keeps her up and moving. So she'd get whatever old wives' remedy was making appearances that season, and stock up on her favorite addictions. Then she'd be likely to keep going until she drops. She doesn't like to keep still if she can help it.

Or it'd go this way.

Person> "Filthy. Disease-bringer. Cretin. Can you go die somewhere else? You're going to make me sick. "

Franz> *walks to room and closes door quietly*

Essentially, yeah. Of course, you would be held to a resolute double-standard. Edda's so used to being so well taken care of when sick, I imagine she would expect soup, tea and sympathy from everyone... even cretins.

Funny that this comes up while I'm on the tail end of a nasty cold IRL. :)

L'yhta is the sort to employ every single bit of magic and alchemy she can get her hands on to ward off even the eensiest bit of sickness, because she can't look even the least bit not perfect. :dodgy: If that means casting Esuna on herself every few minutes to ward off a cough, or guzzling some horrible combination of potions that might stop a runny nose, then so be it! A mere disease isn't going to stop the progress of the Art!

Ultimately, though, when all of that inevitably fails, she's the sort to go curl up in bed pathetically and bemoan her fate. :)

Tested negative for the flu... yay. Upper respiratory crap. Andralyn and I have doctor's notes that allow massive whining and hubby care until Monday. :D

Thanks for playing along with my sickbrain. I've enjoyed your answers!

...also thank you for moving this to the correct forum. /sickbrain

Jajara would probably ignore it, much to her betrothed's chagrin. If her clammy, sickness-ridden little popoto hands can hold on to a hammer then she can still work, gosh dang it! And no amount of fretting over medicine or sleep or food is going to change that!

Delial would whine and carry on being miserable. She never whines, at least so far as anybody knows. She never whines unless she's too hot for blankets but too cold to not have blankets. She never whines unless she can't actually hibernate the sick away because it's just too much and too unbearable and she'll probably waste away within a few suns.

Jajara would probably ignore it, much to her betrothed's chagrin. If her clammy, sickness-ridden little popoto hands can hold on to a hammer then she can still work, gosh dang it! And no amount of fretting over medicine or sleep or food is going to change that!

Delial would whine and carry on being miserable. She never whines, at least so far as anybody knows. She never whines unless she's too hot for blankets but too cold to not have blankets. She never whines unless she can't actually hibernate the sick away because it's just too much and too unbearable and she'll probably waste away within a few suns.

Edgar: "Delial, just take the medicine..."