Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone)

Kage

In defense of the graham cracker crust...

...I hate it too. It's actually stupendously boring and more expected than the Wacky Gay Guy or Sassy Black character in a sitcom. That said, it's because of its boringness that I prefer it.

Cheesecake has always been a favorite dessert because of its balance of a fresh, sweet topping or additives and smooth, creamy but almost sour flavor, like a fluffy and silky custard. It's the quintessential "not to sweet sweet", the dessert that closes a meal without punching you in the head with a boxing glove filled with sugar. I feel that a brownie or Oreo or other crazy-sweet crust would detract from that experience.

Granted, if you're making a really decadent or sweet cheesecake, then a sweet crust makes some sense too. And, ultimately, go nuts with whatever you love and enjoy putting together! But for my money, the graham cracker crust does what a crust of any good pie or cheesecake ought to do--transport the deliciousness from serving tin to plate to face.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I got lazy but it's pretty delicious. I've taken the Knorr's easy rice sides/extras. Get it cookin and prepare a steak or chicken. Season steak and cook... or get chopped garlic in a pan with getting hot oil. Sautee garlic for a bit and throw chicken in. Get chicken in with the pretty close to done Knorr's rice.

Easy peasy ~10 min meal.

But er...

RESTAURANT WEEKS.

If you live in an area like me where there a few nice and kinda upscale restaurants... you'll also see things like Restaurant Weeks. They give you special deals... some do new menus.. etc. It's great!

There's this small office burger place that is only open during the week cause it's in the office buildings areas... THAT IS OPEN EVERYDAY

It's delicious and one of the first places I went to where I found out that I might actually enjoy burgers.

o.jpg

This is a Habanero burger with fries and strawberry basil lemonade.

I want to get into making delicious burgers like these

There's this small office burger place that is only open during the week cause it's in the office buildings areas... THAT IS OPEN EVERYDAY

It's delicious and one of the first places I went to where I found out that I might actually enjoy burgers.

o.jpg

Damn, that is the perfect looking and sounding lunch right there, drink ESPECIALLY included! *jealous* :(

o.jpg

This just reminds me of how much I need to try the other burgers at that place. *cough* roaring 40s still best burger there *cough*

Pupusas! If someone has a homemade recipe that they already have, please share.

These are delicious little filled corn tortillas and I need to try making some myself.

Salvadoran Pupusas con Curtido

Makes 8 pupusas

2 cups masa harina

Pinch of salt

1 1/3 cup warm water

1 cup grated cheese: quesillo, queso fresco, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella

Vegetable oil

Curtido (see below)

Combine masa harina, salt, and water in a mixing bowl. Knead to form a smooth, moist dough with a playdough-like consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add more water, one teaspoon at a time. If the mixture is too sticky, add more masa harina, one teaspoon at a time. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let stand for 10 minutes.

With lightly oiled hands, form the dough into 8 balls about 2 inches in diameter. Using your thumb, make an indentation into one of the balls, forming a small cup. Fill the cup with 1 tablespoon of cheese and wrap the dough around the filling to seal it. Making sure that the filling does not leak, pat the dough back and forth between your hands to form a round disk about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining balls.

Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high. Cook the pupusas for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.

Serve warm with curtido on the side.

Notes:

• To substitute fresh masa, use 2 pounds.

• The cheese filling may be combined or substituted with refried beans or cooked pork (called chicharrón in El Salvador, but not to be confused with fried pork rind). Loroco flower buds are also a traditional accompaniment to cheese; look for them in the frozen food section or preserved in jars at Central American markets.

Curtido

Makes about 4 cups

1/2 head cabbage, shredded

1 large carrot, grated

1/2 onion, thinly sliced

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine the cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour over the cabbage mixture and stir.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably at least a day before serving.

el-centro-loroco-pupusa-cheese-stretch.jpg

Pupusa folding

steps.jpg

So....a few might know I tried to make a sacher torte. I [mostly] failed, but it tasted great!

DasiAjR.jpg

It rose a little too high, and cracked. ...I probably needed to use less batter and should have baked it a little drier. Then, post baking, inverted it to keep the fluffy sponge-cake-ish goodness.

tj01YKE.jpg

It's almost amazing how many blunders you can hide with chocolate. ...unless that chocolate is also a blunder. I shoulda made sure I had heavy cream. ...and maybe probably have mixed the warm cream into the melted chocolate instead of trying to mix the melted chocolate into the near-boiling milk I used instead. ...shoulda been a LOT smoother. (and maybe have added just a tiny little bit of oil so it would have been glossy like the picture after cooling, instead of mostly-melting.

YYQhMlR.jpg

In the end, it looked a bit rough, but the overall shape and taste were there? (I wouldn't know. I've never had a sacher torte before.)

Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sacher-Torte/Detail.aspx

...next time, perhaps I'll use strawberry or cherry preserves instead.

Don't have any pics, but I just made some great multi-bean soup!

1 can of black beans (with liquid)

1 can of pinto beans (half the liquid)

1/2 cup cold water

1/3 a can of corn

palm full of lentils

season to taste with garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and maybe 3 drops of honey

edit:  I also added a dusting of starch to mix in to thicken it up~

Stir in a big pot, wait until it's hot, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top!

=D

whyyyy did i come in here hungry???

T_________T

on a side note; i should share my greatgrandma's töltött káposzta. (stuffed cabbage.----.) i've been craving it for awhile now x3

Sounds delicious.

I've taken to buying pasta at the store and eating pasta all the time.

I have a request. Can someone share some nice recipes for drinks, mocktails etc. using lemon lime fizzy drinks, 7up etc. No alcohol, please. :(

Any other nice refreshing drinks such as juices or the like would be nice too! :surprise: I've always wanted to make agua fresca. Anyone have any good ones?

I have a request. Can someone share some nice recipes for drinks, mocktails etc. using lemon lime fizzy drinks, 7up etc. No alcohol, please. :(

Any other nice refreshing drinks such as juices or the like would be nice too! :surprise: I've always wanted to make agua fresca. Anyone have any good ones?

I used to mix sprite with orange juice for a simple drink when bored.

And then, there's always a "Shirley Temple", which is your normal sprite with a dash of grenadine.

Similar, there's a "Roy Rogers", which is basically the same thing, but use a coke instead of sprite.

You can also make a nonalcoholic Moscow Mule by omitting the vodka. So get a ginger beer (of the non-alcoholic variety) and squeeze in half-3/4 a lime (or a whole one if you're like me) for something refreshing.

And in theory, you could make a fake Mojito by omitting the white rum. Muddle some mint leaves (bruise, but do not tear), squeeze in a lime, add a simply syrup (fancy words for a syrup made from a 1:1 sugar to water ratio) and top with soda water. ...so in theory, take a good lemon/lime soda and add some mint and it might also be similar (depending on how sugary your soda is)

What else....

As a kid, I'd mix apple juice and lemonade. Sweeten out the sour, but keep it a little tart.

T_________T

on a side note; i should share my greatgrandma's töltött káposzta. (stuffed cabbage.----.) i've been craving it for awhile now x3

Sounds delicious.

there's no pasta in hungarian stuffed cabbage. there's rice mixed with the meat and then the dish is served with mashed potatoes (omg the sauce on the potatoes......>u< )

what sorta pasta things have you been making lately? o3o

T_________T

Sounds delicious.

there's no pasta in hungarian stuffed cabbage. there's rice mixed with the meat and then the dish is served with mashed potatoes (omg the sauce on the potatoes......>u

Please....if that recipe isn't a family secret, please share. (Or if there's a good public one...)

T_________T

Sounds delicious.

there's no pasta in hungarian stuffed cabbage. there's rice mixed with the meat and then the dish is served with mashed potatoes (omg the sauce on the potatoes......>u< )

I do lazy pasta. Boxed Spaghetti and store bought sauce with ground beef and seasonings.

Or more recently, Buitoni pasta with alfredo or marinara sauces and seasonings T_T;

I miss my cooking days but cleaning = time away from FFXIV >>

2 pounds ground beef chuck

 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

 1 large yellow onion, chopped

 3 stalks celery, chopped

 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

 1 tablespoon bacon bits

 4 cubes beef bouillon

 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)

 1/4 cup chili powder

 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

 1 tablespoon minced garlic

 1 tablespoon dried oregano

 2 teaspoons ground cumin

 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)

 1 teaspoon dried basil

 1 teaspoon salt

 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

 1 teaspoon paprika

 1 teaspoon white sugar

 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional

 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

So I'll be making this chili recipe soon.

People who drink beer... if I can't find these beer brands, what should I look for? :V