[split] Cynel1's questions about Sultansworn RP and RP in general

right back on topic how would the sworn evaluate new members?

From a lore perspective I think it's safe to say we do not know.  We know they have recruiters and that newer members are called Squires.

What the RP community has embraced in the past was some in-character tests or Trials.

They are completely optional, and at the discretion of all those involved.  I posted more thoughts on this back here on page 4.

hmm i would like to do those trials when the servers are back online.

From a lore perspective I think it's safe to say we do not know.  We know they have recruiters and that newer members are called Squires.

What the RP community has embraced in the past was some in-character tests or Trials.

They are completely optional, and at the discretion of all those involved.  I posted more thoughts on this back here on page 4.

They're not a quest, Crofte isn't an NPC.

Well, they're KINDA questy... in the actual sense and not the RPG mechanic sense, I mean. After all, Chachan's Trial of Purpose had him going and talking to his mentors to find out why THEY became Paladins so he could understand his own reasoning for it. A search for self seems appropriately quest-like.

But yeah, I think it's mainly for RP purposes and character interaction... not so much "Talk to this person, talk to that person, done." Unless you are seeking to skip over it because you want to play the 'Sworn more than the getting there part. Which in and of itself is more personal preference.

I understand the intention here, but it's important to remember that everyone involved in the RP community is doing so of their own accord. Most of us are working/in school/both and while the Trial thing is admittedly kind of neat, it also takes time, energy and willpower. These things are at a premium, so yes, waiting around for others to draw you into the RP with a story centered on you joining the RP is a lot to ask.

I don't mean for this to be discouraging at all, but we are not able to cater ourselves to your storyline.

What is being conveyed is that yes there will be maintenance but these are things that have been done over the course of some days/weeks/months. You can PM some of them for schedules, checking in with them what day and times they may be able to schedule this specific plot with you. Please recognize that people do work full time, have familial obligations, and may not be able to just up and meet with you with less than a few days' time of planning.

What is being conveyed is that yes there will be maintenance but these are things that have been done over the course of some days/weeks/months. You can PM some of them for schedules, checking in with them what day and times they may be able to schedule this specific plot with you. Please recognize that people do work full time, have familial obligations, and may not be able to just up and meet with you with less than a few days' time of planning.

Of course because some days ill be working myself.

like i said i want to do those trials but i have to schedule  it with the others and the servers are going under maintenance.

I think the point they're trying to make is that the scheduling itself could take a while. In the mean time, I recommend getting to know some of the community, so that during larger gaps of time, your RP won't dry up if real-life gets in the way of game plans. :)

like i said i want to do those trials but i have to schedule  it with the others and the servers are going under maintenance.

I think the point they're trying to make is that the scheduling itself could take a while. In the mean time, I recommend getting to know some of the community, so that during larger gaps of time, your RP won't dry up if real-life gets in the way of game plans. :)

well I've been doing that Talking  with others and trying to Flesh out my  character.

While I've been hiatus away from RPing, and RPC majorly. I've not forgotten about this thread. I've finally had some chance to respond.

According to what everyone has said in regards to Sworns in this thread, especially what Natalie said - she is right about one thing. When you create a character, you can feel free to start as "I am a Sultansworn" without doing trials OOCly or ICly at any time. And then you be creative about how you became one before 2.0 or during 1.0. However it is not obligated to any of veteran players to accommodate all the time by doing the trials for you and training etc and such. You can just be creative and do the trial yourself in your own plot (Like being trained by Jenlyns or doing the trials under him or ABC XYZ). I understand that you want to focus your character, and if I wasn't on hiatus... I'd definitely accommodate for you, but I am not RP active as much anymore.

ICly, Anelia re-did her trials for reinstatement and then went missing ICly because I OOCly wanted to go on hiatus. I did not ask anyone to do the trials because 1. I had been busy with my own schedule IRL 2. Timing was not always right between me and others. 3. I was busy looking after my FC. 

It's not the -best- way to go when I could have done something to work with others and interact by gaining character relationship/developments with others... but that's not what I wanted since everyone and I had disagreements yet also some schedule conflicts. So other best method is to just be creative and write a story or tell others about how you completed the trials.

They have their own things too. Like some others said in this thread, we aren't really NPCs. But you can just be creative to make your own character and you can try to brainstorm on how you became a Sultansworn. However, this is indeed Sultansworn discussion thread. So it's not always bad to ask questions on how you can become a Sultansworn, since this discussions and informations can be useful for newcomers too who read this thread. But just try not to ask questions that goes beyond the Sultansworn related discussions. For that part, it is for you to decide how you want your character to turn out :)

Don't worry I've Decided on the trained by Jenlyns route it makes sense that he Trains new Recruits if there Free Paladins or not.

• 2 weeks later...

...is there really any historical precedence in Ul'dah to this? Or can it be argued that Jenlyns is full of shit? Again, since Ul'dah is not a legalistic state like modern polities, everything exists at the whims of individuals with power, so...I would argue the concept of a free paladin is "new" to the Sultansworn...

I second this concept based on the quest dialogue.  In fact, Coatleque disagrees with Jenlyns on this point whenever it is brought up in other RP.  She sees Free Paladins as a dilution of their core, but is forced to accept them being the good drone that she is.

Very good points that were brought up though, all-in-all.

Is that why you Don't like Free Paladins?

well im geting used to RPing slowly but i wonder does this group have any events comming up or thats just wishfull thinking.

It...might need to be pointed out that again, this thread is about how to RP as a Sultansworn, not a networking resource for Sultansworn. The group for Sultansworn  is the Sultanswarm Linkshell and The Sand Pearl Linkshell.

In regards to Sultansworn RP in general, while some parts of it are organized between players, there's also a lot more of it done that has nothing to do with the RPC. As asked by the mods, let's please try to keep this thread on topic, or branch out to a new thread if there's a different discussion taking place. This one is about the mechanics and details of what a Sultansworn is and how they act.

If there's a Sultanswon-based RP storyline or plotline you would like to gather resources for, that isn't this thread. The Making Connections Forum is. Or an IC post over in the Town Square.

edit: For clarity, this was when the posts were still in the How to RP as a Sultanswon thread