Triple Triad Tricks, Tips and Trategies

...what? It was the only way I was gonna get an alliterative title!

So I am addicted to Triple Triad. Like...hopelessly. I'm even wondering if I can write this in as an IC thing for Steel--not a primary function of her existence, mind, but...

A-anyway, I'm trying to "git gud" as the kids say, and I know the best way is to just play and practice....that said, if people had some tips on how to play the game better, decks they found excellent, places that dropped cards--basically, anything that helps myself and people like myself git gud, I figured this would be a good place to look.

So! Share! So that I may drink deep of your strategic fluids and grow stronger MWEEHEEHEE!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably get mentioned at some point or another, but the King in the back of the TT area at the Saucer is a bit... abuse-able thanks to the Plus rule. A lot of his cards share some numbers (6s and 7s, notably), so running cards that have the same number on multiple sides works really well for comboing him out (Sabotender, Bomb, Godbert all come to mind).

I've seen two decks used to help even the playing field against him to help get his Godbert and Bahamut cards. The first, oddly enough, is your starter deck. If you can get him to play around the outside, dropping the Bomb (hee) in the center can sometimes cause a chain that will help you eke out a win.

Once you have a Godbert (and an Ixal from the relatively easy dude to the left of the entrance to the area), you can apparently build a really good King-trouncing deck with Dodo/Ixal/Couerl/Godbert/Sabotender. I haven't had much luck with it, though.

I suppose the only real other alternative is just to go around hunting for the dungeon/trial cards to bolster the overall strength of your deck. There was also a website that showed what all the cards where and where to get them, but it was blanked out the last time I checked it. Dunno if they were told to pull their information or if it was just my 'net being screwy. Still, most of the various opponents who have prize cards have two, so if you find one you can beat on the regular, make sure to snap up both cards!

Oh, and apparently the first five PVP card wins each day against another player will net you a hefty 180-ish MGP each. So, you could always try that to both improve your skill and get the points to buy a card or two from the vendor.

(And I would've totally gone with "Triple Triad Tricks, Tips, and Treatises." :lol: )

Don't chalk it up to your skill, the starter cards manage to both suck and blow at the same time thus defying physics.

Go after the starter NPC's and you'll manage to get some new cards. Jonas gives moogle and Ixal I believe, and I've only gotten spriggan from the master so far. The guy across from Jonas drops chocobo and scarface, all of which are halfway decent cards.

I have yet to beat the elezen cause his deck coupled with the random effect is op and sets you up to fail it seems.

I've only gotten spriggan from the master so far.

I gave up so hard on trying to get that one when I realized I'd have to wait through her explanation of the game EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I might give her a try once a day or something until I get it but, JEEZ lady, is there a "shut you up" rule I can put in place?

"Abusing" that plus rule on the King has gained me close to 10k MGP, 6 Godbert cards (>.<), yet no Bahamuts. 

The only thing I did was buy a bronze set thingy from the vendor, which turned out to be a behemoth card.

My deck is now behemoth, mandragora, couerl, bomb, cactaur. I don't -always- win, but I win far more than I lose and have a net gain.

It's more recognizing patterns and reacting to them. He's going to play there with that card? Ok, I'll play here and the next turn he'll do this...

Again, doesn't work 100% of the time, but the net gain is there... and the chance at the Bahamut card.

I just... the one thing I know with TT is "my adjacent played card should have a number higher".

I somewhat can guess setting up the plus wins but it's usually 1/10.

I just can't figure out how to set up wins :V

Edit: I did win the spriggan card but that was cause I beat her on my third attempt >.>;

I just... the one thing I know with TT is "my adjacent played card should have a number higher".

Which is REALLY obnoxious to do when your opponents all have cards where almost every side is 5 or higher and you only have your little Mandragora with its 5 bottom and the 5-on-the-sides Couerl. :(

Nothing was more jaw-dropping than idly checking each of the other TT NPCs in the Saucer and watching them drop three and four star cards like it weren't no thang. And horrendously frustrating... which is why I don't feel so bad about trouncing the king.

Found the site again, and it seems to be showing properly once more: http://ffxivtriad.com/

Shows all the cards and all the NPC players, and what cards you can get where. Do note that only two of the cards "need" to be purchased with MGP (Nanamo and Cloud) - the other ones you can purchase from the vendor are winnable from the NPCs around her. So don't make the mistake I did on Gogon and spend 1k MGP that can go towards nicer things like clothing and minions!

... Or for the Gold and Silver Card purchases since that's the only way to get a few of the other cards, apparently (included some of the six-stars).

Also, does anyone know if the entry cost to play an NPC is a good sign at how difficult they are to play against? I've been tempted to do a tour using the list of NPCs on that site, starting at the cheapest to play and working my way down the list and collecting the cards.

I still haven't gotten a card from King. :< That and the plus rule doesn't -always- seem to work for me, even if it's the exact same numbers.

It took a pretty specific example to get me to understand Plus.

The idea was that there was a card above that has a 6 as its bottom number, and a card on the right has a 7 as its left number. So, putting a card that has a 4 up top AND a 3 as its right number would plus them both, because both equal 10 (6+4 and 7+3). And, then it can combo-chain if such a thing happens with the newly flipped card and another card (or cards) adjacent to it.

Realizing that it's just making two sides add up to the same number cleared up so much confusion for me, including why the hell it was called Plus. :blush:

Plan ahead. If you know what cards an opponant has, try to make them use them in places they'll be bad in.

Like if you know opponant has a card like 

9   2

Try to make them use it in the top/left sides, instead of the bottom/right sides. 

For the rules, Check what cards the opponent has. If there's a plus/same rule, you can easily exploit their cards by matching your deck against theirs. (the starter deck works great against the King in MGS).

Which leads me to: How do you lead them? How do you bait them?

Put a card that will "tempt" them to beat it. Like if you have a card that looks like

3   4

put it on the top row. It's like asking for it to get flipped. Even putting it on the bottom is like asking for it to get flipped. Sides...maybe not so much. Why expend effort to flip on a 4 if you can flip a 1 or 2?

Thus the basic strategy for fighting the King. You "bait" him into playing his cards in such a way that the ones with the same numbers (like 6s and 7s) or other pairs of numbers you can easily Plus are ready to be taken advantage of.

The "standard" method I've seen (and used, it works okay for the most part, but only when you're first and he won't always play by the rules) is to put Dodo in bottom right, then Mandragora in the top left, Couerl in bottom left, and Sabotender in top right. If he's playing along, he will have placed his cards in such a way that leaves the middle free (usually the last card dropped is Urianger, but sometimes it's Bahamut?). Dropping the Bomb (hee) in the last slot will cause a chain-Plus combo that will net you the win.

And, once you actually understand how Plus works, you can start trying to adapt and using the numerous same-number and minor-number-variations of the starter cards to enact Pluses when he doesn't want to play along. I don't win all the time, but figuring out how Plus actually worked helped me pull out more victories against him.

I know how Plus works but putting it into practice and baiting him to do what I want is a whole other matter entirely :c

Yeah, it isn't fool-proof, but I've had better luck with that strategy than the Dodo/Sabotender/Couerl/Ixal/Godbert deck. Though that might be because I got only the most general gist of how to pilot it (getting into CCG terms now!) from two short matches shown in a minute and a half Youtube video. I don't know what baits are supposed to go where since the key point in the Ixal/Godbert deck is getting the Ixal in the upper right corner to chain everything rather than Dropping the Bomb (I will never stop calling it that).

Also, it just seems like the starter deck, once you get the feel for using it against the King, has a lot more flexibility in dealing with his alternate plays. Even just causing an early plus to flip his Godbert and his Bahamut or what have you can put you ahead just enough to eke out a win. Just save Sabotender and Bomb for those, since those three sets of three will help make or break the match. Dodo, Mandragora, and Couerl are mainly there as bait.

I still haven't gotten a card from King. :< That and the plus rule doesn't -always- seem to work for me, even if it's the exact same numbers.

The idea was that there was a card above that has a 6 as its bottom number, and a card on the right has a 7 as its left number. So, putting a card that has a 4 up top AND a 3 as its right number would plus them both, because both equal 10 (6+4 and 7+3). And, then it can combo-chain if such a thing happens with the newly flipped card and another card (or cards) adjacent to it.

Realizing that it's just making two sides add up to the same number cleared up so much confusion for me, including why the hell it was called Plus. :blush:

Yeah, it's not that I don't get it, it's just that it won't do it sometimes. Say the two sides are 3+4, and then the next sides that touch are 3+4 exactly, I still can't get it to plus. I'm not the only one who's been boggled by it, I'm not sure if it's a problem with the coding, or if it's just a plain bug. The combo you get if the cards next to the cards flipped are weaker than the ones flipped.

Yeah, it's not that I don't get it, it's just that it won't do it sometimes. Say the two sides are 3+4, and then the next sides that touch are 3+4 exactly, I still can't get it to plus. I'm not the only one who's been boggled by it, I'm not sure if it's a problem with the coding, or if it's just a plain bug. The combo you get if the cards next to the cards flipped are weaker than the ones flipped.

Are you trying to make the 3s and the 4s are paired off (3-against-3 and 4-against-4, which wouldn't work, since 6 =/= 8), or are you making it so that the 3s are against the 4s and vice versa (leading to two 3-against-4s, which makes two 7s total, which SHOULD work)?

Basically, are you doing this:

- 3 3 6

When you need to do this:

- 4 3 7