Your Character's Triple Triad Deck

Gegenji

I mentioned this in two other places, and just now realized that this could be an interesting character-related thread in and of itself!

With the advent of Triple Triad, people all over Eorzea are busting out their decks and engaging in a game of cards. Mostly against the NPCs and the delicious cards they have up for grabs, but some are playing against each other as well (either as tests of skill, or to get that sweet bonus MGP with no drawbacks).

But what about your character? Would they play the game? If they did, how would they play? Would they be casual players or one of those tournament level Magic players who constantly change and update their decks to fit with the meta and the popular decks being played? Would they run all the "best" cards or whatever cards they liked the most? Would their deck have a theme (beyond "The Best Cards") or a witty name?

So that's what this thread is for. Describe your character's feelings towards Triple Triad and, if they have a deck, what their deck would consist of. Feel free to be as vague or as in-depth about the deck breakdown as you would like!

Of course, I can't ask all that stuff without going into details myself!

Chachanji Gegenji

"Chanboree" Deck: Sabotender/Chocobo/Tonberry/Behemoth/Godbert

Chachan, I think, is too much of a good-natured goofball to try to play the game seriously. Nor is he bright enough to be able to play really well even if he decided to. He would understand the basic concept of "bigger number = better" but would be left puzzling over mechanics like Plus and Ascension. He would still play, of course, since it seems like fun and everyone's doing it, but his deck construction is pretty nonexistent - consisting of cards he likes plus that one rare card he managed to pull somehow.

Breakdown:

Sabotender - One of Chachan's trademark items is his Cactaur earring, which was given to him by his brother. As such, such a card would be an auto-include even if it wasn't a super-common card.

Chocobo - Chachan loves his horsebirds, so another obvious card in his deck. Knowing him, if/when Avenger gets dyed, he'll probably color over his Chocobo card to make it match his own bird. Good thing it's another 1-star or we might have some raging srs playeres.

Tonberry - Chachan's first hint about his brother's whereabouts was in Wanderer's Palace, so this card would be a must have for him. And let's not get into the whole "cute little thing that can be quite dangerous" parallel between Chachan and the degraded Nymians.

Behemoth - It's Gran! In card form! Of course it would be in here. Being a higher level card at 3-stars, he probably saw someone with it and pestered them with the rest of his cards until he could get it off them. Probably his favorite card out of the bunch.

Godbert - Even casual players in Magic always seem to pull at least one "really good" card out of their packs. This one is Chachan's, and is the most nebulous one out of the five. This could easily be replaced with one of the six-star cards (Onion Knight, preferably) for the extra "HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE THIS?" factor.

Judge Jredthys

"Judgment" Deck: Demon Wall/Titan/Odin/Bahamut/Gaius van Baelsar

Having Judge be a TT-player originally started out as a joke - wouldn't it be funny if this straight-laced, black-and-white tin can man enjoyed hunching over a table to play with cards (beyond his Yellow and Red Cards, of course). yet, the more I thought about it, the more sense it makes. He likes things with set rules and proper results. TT encapsulates that well - you can set rules at the onset and there is a proper flow of gameplay. And, while he wouldn't actively hunt for the best cards or participate in tournaments, he would think it only right to play his best if challenged to a game.

... It's only proper, after all.

Breakdown:

Demon Wall - An inexorable, imposing force that will continue until its mission is complete (under strict time limit, no less!) or it is defeated. A fitting card for Judge even before considering the normal binary nature of boss fights. Both it and Jredthys are quite imposing, too.

Titan - A bit of a filler card, to be certain. I was trying to think of cards that would fit Judge's character. The Primals are all beings of power and respect for their respective Beast Tribes, so I figured one of the normal ones should belong in the deck. Stubborn, stalwart, unyielding Titan seemed the best fit for Jredthys.

Odin - One of the most notable powerful figures in Eorzea. The Dark Divinity, traveling astride his black horse and meting out his own brand of justice. While Judge won't Zantetsuken a Full Party or Alliance into shreds, I think there's close enough of a similarity in physical intimidation between the two to be included.

Bahamut - I was actually hoping Midgardsormr would be a card too, so it could be included with Bahamut. It's one of those sly hints that Judge is (going to be) an Au Ra. The fact that he is the King of Dragons and, thus, another powerful source of order and direction is another reason it would be in the deck.

Gaius van Baelsar - The big bad from the first major arc of the MSQ (beyond the Ascians)? Why would THIS be in Judge's deck? It actually makes some pretty solid sense. Gaius, oddly enough, had a mindset that is not far removed from Judge's. Things must be this way, the strong must rule the weak. It's just a matter that Gaius sought to impose him will on everyone, compared to Jredthys only casting his verdict on situations he has been tasked to.

... Jiminy Christmas that turned out to be one heck of a wall of text.

Kakamani Dadamani: Dodo/Mandragora/Sahagin/Baderon/Memeroon

I'm going a bit Yu-Gi-Oh with this and picking a theme for how his deck is set up. Being a pirate and a lalaman of the sea and La Noscea I've taken the most Sea/La Noscea based cards that could form a pretty decent deck. Kakamani ICly most likely stole most of these cards, especially the Baderon and Memeroon one. He's not the greatest at the game but he's average and understands how he could use his deck efficiently. I'd make one for Raulin but he's hopeless when it comes to Triple Triad so he most likely wouldn't have one.

A sea theme, I like it! Though, couldn't you swap out Dodo and Mandragora for Leviathan and Siren to go full hog on it? Nothing says the ocean like a sea serpent and the waylayer of sailors! :lol:

A sea theme, I like it! Though, couldn't you swap out Dodo and Mandragora for Leviathan and Siren to go full hog on it? Nothing says the ocean like a sea serpent and the waylayer of sailors! :lol:

I could've and it was actually my first thought but I wanted to keep it balanced and not horrendously over powered. I just feel like Primal cards would also be rare to come by.

Xavarian Mystrife: Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan

Xavarian would know basically nothing about Triple Triad. He wouldn't know how the game worked, he wouldn't realize that he probably couldn't have 5 Spriggans, or if he could, that he shouldn't. And he'd need someone to sit him down and explain the whole mess to him. But damnit, he likes Spriggans, and if he ever crossed the cards on his wanderings, and especially since these are more common, he'd probably have gravitated towards the Spriggan ones, forgetting he already has a bunch, and just. Ended up with a ton of them.

He does what he wants, you're not his real dad.

Edit: I'll note that I haven't actually had the chance to get in on this mess beyond reading the patch notes too, so if there is some weird lore thing about cards binding and only being able to have a certain number, then. ... Excuse my ignorance, but if they're just normal cards, then. YEP.

I could've and it was actually my first thought but I wanted to keep it balanced and not horrendously over powered. I just feel like Primal cards would also be rare to come by.

I actually just realized Siren isn't up there in like 3-4 star ranks for cards so I'm definitely gonna exchange it for the Dodo. Thank you for bringing that up actually.

Xavarian Mystrife: Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan / Spriggan

My hero.

For Hibito Yarato, who would be in it for mostly the collecting, something like:

Squall Leonhart - Fascinated by the concept of gunblades, this mysterious non-Garlean warrior would be a natural fit for Hibito's deck.

Cid nan Garlond - Hibito's senpai idol in the advance of Eorzean machinery.

Mutamix Bubblypots - His mentor was a goblin, a race whose ingenuity he quickly came to respect.

Biggs & Wedge - Premiere associates of the great Cid nan Garlond, and talented machinists in their own right. Would be one of his most sought-after cards after Cid himself!

Tataru Taru - When asked why this card holds a special place in his deck, Hibito blushes profusely and changes the subject back to machines.

The strategically minded Yvelont, meanwhile, would build his decks to win - much like the way he employs different weapons to suit his enemy. He would give little thought to the collection or aesthetic aspect, but I could see him using the similarly-minded Bartz or Onion Knight as a sort of "trademark" card.

• 8 months later...

Can I necro this thread? I had no idea it was here and I love stuff like this!

Shoshopu's deck is:

Momodi Modi / Biggs & Wedge / Rhitahtyn sas Arvina / Vanu Vanu / Leviathan

So Shoshopu is totally a Johnny. She enjoys the creative process of building decks and aims to express herself with it.

So she's designed a deck that attempts to be competitive but is based around themes and cards that she likes. The first three cards would be obvious to anyone familiar with the character... they're Lalafell and Roegadyn cards! These three play well off eachother in games using Same or Plus rules. She picked up Vanu Vanu after her free company spent some time in the Sea of Clouds and assigned her to help establish good relations with the Zundu tribe. It has less synergy with the other three, but it helps cover Biggs & Wedge and Rhitahtyn's weak sides. It's also a little ahead of the curve, being a two-star card in which the sum of its sides is 19 instead of 18. A subtle but important difference. Leviathan is another obvious choice for her. She uses her favorite card as the trump card of her deck.

Nanagi has spent a decent amount of time playing triple-triad. Even though she isn't that good at it, she does enjoy it.

She wouldn't have a starter deck, but she would most certainly would not have "the best deck". Her deck is probably an average deck.

-Onion Knight (out of sheer luck, she was able to obtain this card)

-Moogle

-Sahagin

-Spriggan

-Dodo

(I can't remember the rest)

Her play style is more of an "flip every card as quickly as possible"

This would be Leanne's deck!

Warrior of Light

Matoya

Good King Moogle Mog XIII

Griffin

Urianger

[align=center]Warrior_of_light_card1.pngcard92.pngGood_king_moggle_mog_xii_card1.png[/align]

[align=center]card86.pngUrianger_card1.png[/align]

As for why the choices?

Warrior of Light: The admiration Leanne has for the Warrior of Light is so big, you could pass off for a girl crushing for his idol. And perhaps it is that way! The very few times Leanne had the chance to see the individual themselves filled her with a deep desire to do her 110%, in hopes of maybe being noticed...

Matoya: Leanne's current matron, she'd pick the card out of respect for the woman who now takes care of her during this period of her life, who accepted to help Leanne in a very, very important task...

Good King Moogle Mog XIII: Friend of moogles she is, having a card of their king she shall have! If it is worth how bothersome they can get about it, is an entirely different debate.

Griffin: A beast that she finds fascinating, she rode one once during a risking dare midst her adventures in the north. She aches to ride another again, albeit on more friendly terms...

Urianger: Leanne's a fan of elaborate prose. Urianger does not only have that, but he is quite wise and knowledgeable about several subjects, inspiring Leanne's curiosity.

I can't see Sounsyy being overly competitive or serious about the card game, but likely learned how to play fairly well from some of her crew. They sometimes play cards or dice and gamble low sums, chores, or meals aboard her ship. I can see one of the crew introducing everyone to Triple Triad. Sounsyy would likely favor cards that hold some meaning to her, but not want to completely sacrifice a winning hand. Ascension would be her preferred rule.

Deck:

Kobold / Sahagin / Memeroon / Griffin / Bismarck

Kobold - Despite having fought in Limsa's wars with the kobolds, Sounsyy holds the beast race in relatively high esteem - an opinion she keeps to herself. This is secretly her favorite card in her deck.

Sahagin - A beast race she is not so fond of, though she admires the grace and agility with which they hunt beneath the turbulent seas. She owes her position as a navy captain, in part, to a battle with the Sahagin.

Memeroon - For years Qiqirn have been a staple aboard merchant and pirate vessels across the seas. Sounsyy has grown especially fond of these beastmen and their eccentricities. That and she knows her ship's cook, Susuroon, would be hurt if she did not play with the card he gave to her.

Griffin - Sounsyy believes one can never have too many reminders of home. Though she's since learned she has an intense fear of flying, in her youth she always dreamed to one day become a Griffin rider of Ala Mhigo.

Bismarck - The best card in her deck that she won off of one of her Triad-enthusiast crew. She is unaware of the Vanu Vanu beast tribe's existence and their worship of Bismarck's primal form, Manukmanai, but is well versed in the Lominsan legend of the white whale Bismarck who devoured all things, Sea Wolf vessels included, in its path.