Your Au Ra: Old or New?

K'nahli

How will/might you play your Au Ra?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How will/might you play your Au Ra?

• They will be completely/near-completely new to Eorzea(RP awaiting lore)
    • They will be new, though I have already begun RP'ing them
    • An existing character will become Au Ra

I am convinced at this point that Au Ra will become the new Miqo'te/Hyur Midlander.

Actually, I'm kind of hoping this happens because I want to feel like a special snowflake (not that I actually need any help in that regard).

We'll see. With so many people bitching about the differences between the genders they may not be popular at all.

I don't really mind eitherway. Au Ra are a really awesome looking race and I hope their lore lives up to expectations.

I'd rather see a bunch of horned freaks than more cats though, if I'm being honest.

I'm just waiting to see the already established character who "was actually an Au Ra all along."

You can stop waiting.

That's effectively Lin's story, though that rabbit hole goes quite a bit deeper. She's unaware of of her 'real' race.

I've been uming and Ahhing about Au-ra for a while now. And I can onyl come back to the same conclusion.

I really don't like the design choice made by square on how the females look. It isn't the aesthetic of them, they're haunting in a weird creepy collectors doll way.

Ball Joint Dolls with glue on their face, what isn't to like?

What really irritates me about them the most is the unnatural height difference between the females and the males. The males - according to my observation in videos are around Male Highlander size while the females are probably around Miqo'te size.

Now this makes my head spin, The height on top of the smaller features and forced innocence on a race based on awesome dragons makes me think they are trying to sexualise adolescence. Which, is most likely not the case. 

Is anyone else as weirded out about the height difference as me?  I know that most people will play what is more appealing to them - but.. For me? I don't see the appeal of such a forcibly young character being attacked by monsters, other people and the like - same reason I can't play a lalafell. 

Thoughts?

This thread is for if your AuRa is going to be a new character or an old one. Not for discussion about the merits or flaws of the race's design.

But since we're here why not address some points?

What really irritates me about them the most is the unnatural height difference between the females and the males. The males - according to my observation in videos are around Male Highlander size while the females are probably around Miqo'te size. 

Oh yes, very unnatural for sexual dimorphism to exist in a fantasy race.

The dimorphism thing is getting stupid. It happens in nature:

Male_and_female_pheasant.jpg

Examples of extreme height difference in humans:

XBiAdKO.jpg

6a00d8341d7ec853ef01156f7b3ef6970c-800wi

Now this makes my head spin, The height on top of the smaller features and forced innocence on a race based on awesome dragons makes me think they are trying to sexualise adolescence. Which, is most likely not the case. 

Better stay away from Miqo'te then as it's difficult to make one that doesn't look like an adolescent, and hoo boy are they sexualized!

It's cultural differences. In Japan youth == beauty in a way that makes the dynamic here in the west look meek.

I know that most people will play what is more appealing to them - but.. For me? I don't see the appeal of such a forcibly young character being attacked by monsters, other people and the like - same reason I can't play a lalafell. 

So don't play one. Not everyone has reservations about what a character can be involved with because their apparent age doesn't at least match some arbitrary real world standard.

This thread is for if your AuRa is going to be a new character or an old one. Not for discussion about the merits or flaws of the race's design.

But since we're here why not address some points?

Oh yes, very unnatural for sexual dimorphism to exist in a fantasy race.

The dimorphism thing is getting stupid. It happens in nature:

Examples of extreme height difference in humans:

Better stay away from Miqo'te then as it's difficult to make one that doesn't look like an adolescent, and hoo boy are they sexualized!

It's cultural differences. In Japan youth == beauty in a way that makes the dynamic here in the west look meek.

I know that most people will play what is more appealing to them - but.. For me? I don't see the appeal of such a forcibly young character being attacked by monsters, other people and the like - same reason I can't play a lalafell. 

So don't play one. Not everyone has reservations about what a character can be involved with because their apparent age doesn't at least match some arbitrary real world standard.

Its great you linked a bunch of pictures and still completely missed my point.

My point was that the height difference is not within a normal difference. I am well aware sexual dimorphism occurs in reality. I just think that the sheer difference compared to the other races of Eorzea is very un-natural.

I did make it clear that this was my personal opinion, i'm not attacking anyone. I am well aware of the fact that japan objectify youth like many other Asian countries do - heck, I lived there a while.  I don't know, I was hoping for something that would scale up with the male counter-part realistically like the other races.

I am well aware sexual dimorphism occurs in reality. I just think that the sheer difference compared to the other races of Eorzea is very un-natural.

Considering the possible origins of the AuRa...

They are likely the result of St. Shiva laying with a Dragon long ago. Even in Eorzea their origins would be considered very unnatural, so it's fine that they don't fit the rest of the Eorzean mold. Also consider how Dragons themselves vary wildly in size, with Bahamut being skyscraper sized and the smallest you encounter in coil being about the size of a large dog. It's my pet theory that Eorzean female dragons are much smaller than the males, which if true would explain the AuRa height-gender disparity in part.

And yes I understand you arn't attacking anyone, but coming into what is obviously a thread full of people who are intent on playing AuRa and attempting to start a discussion driven with what you feel is "wrong" about them comes across as attacking people who want to play AuRa, and certainly unwelcome here when we have other threads on this very subject already.

I'm frankly tired of reading the dimorphism critique, especially when the community as a whole gravitates towards petite/young adolescent looking females in the majority while griping about AuRa dimorphism, it reeks of hypocrisy.

Honestly? Some us are just sick and tired of reading it over and over and over again.

I won't tell people to stop complaining about what they don't like... (Especially when I find it extremely ironic that people primarily call the females generic, when I can point out just as many things about the males that are just as overdone and bland.) I can say that I find those harsh critiques (albeit unintentionally) are a bit much when found in a topic that isn't even asking for that kind of opinion, though.

/shrug

Anyway, to try to get back on topic instead of this dissolving further. (As the point of the thread was really "old char vs new char",) I plan on personally doing a new character(s) once the expansion comes out. I'd like to play a female and a male. They look neat so far from what I've seen of them.

Brand new. I retired my old character (who I hadn't played for months anyway) and am now awaiting 3.0 to actually begin RPing again. Probably not even right off the bat too; we might find out more about Au Ra lore in the actual Heavensward part of the expansion and I won't be seeing that portion for a little while since I'm switching to astrologian. There's so much about Au Ra that we simply don't know yet that I can't imagine RPing one already. We don't know about their native culture, the circumstances of their arrival to Eorzea and ect. So many fiddly details! They might be in similar circumstances as Yugiri or she could be an exception. We don't even know naming conventions yet. 

I'm very excited to see what info is revealed in the upcoming patch and any other updates via the forums or lore reveals. I'm sure the new benchmark will also have more lore, especially the basic differences between clans.

Killing my character off in a horrible murder suicide (probably?) I don't know.

....I'm really excited for the dragon lore. I'm hoping it isn't Doman. I hope Yugiri is a special dragon and all the other dragons come from somewhere else. PLS YOSHI P PLS. YOSHI P HEAR MY PRAYERS.