Your Au Ra: Old or New?

K'nahli

How will/might you play your Au Ra?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How will/might you play your Au Ra?

• They will be completely/near-completely new to Eorzea(RP awaiting lore)
    • They will be new, though I have already begun RP'ing them
    • An existing character will become Au Ra

Just out of curiosity, how many people here plan on RP'ing their Au Ra as brand new characters upon their release? To clarify, this refers to your character being a completely new character, independent to existing ones. Should you kill off your level 50 character in RP then fantasia and name change them to fit an Au Ra character, then that would be a "new" character.

If like some people you're not certain if you'll be playing an Au Ra or even what style, then please vote for what you think is the most likely! ^^

[Mutiple choice for multiple Au Ra characters]

I have planted the seed within the new character I created so they get the option, but as the RP plays out they may not take up that option.. and it is most likely they wont Au Ra.

Brand new character concept - Currently leveling a toon to 50 so pve-wise they'll start there after an ooc fantasia/rename. I'm very slow at leveling so I decided to do it this way ^^ 

Awaiting the lore as well - If I do not feel overly inspired, I might not RP on the character. Otherwise I'm hoping to start the character off with some family relations with other players, since everyone is making a lot of new characters it seems like a good time to get some relations going ^^

Madda will make an Au Ra Machinist if possible. Very excited for what lies in store for Heavensward. They seem like an interesting concept for a race with maybe some lore similar to Hyur or Hellsguard. 

Mirielda may wake up with scales, horns and a dragon tail though. Maybe.

Brand new character concept - Currently leveling a toon to 50 so pve-wise they'll start there after an ooc fantasia/rename. I'm very slow at leveling so I decided to do it this way ^^ 

Awaiting the lore as well - If I do not feel overly inspired, I might not RP on the character. Otherwise I'm hoping to start the character off with some family relations with other players, since everyone is making a lot of new characters it seems like a good time to get some relations going ^^

That's pretty reasonable, haha. I admit I was tempted to get a character to the point where they join a GC just so I can skip the chocobo-less period(because some genius had the idea to lock out mounts altogether even on alts T-T My double mount has even less meaning like this @@)

That's pretty reasonable, haha. I admit I was tempted to get a character to the point where they join a GC just so I can skip the chocobo-less period(because some genius had the idea to lock out mounts altogether even on alts T-T   My double mount has even less meaning like this @@)

Yeah, this will be my third character to 50 - it's not exactly exciting but I was thinking that you'd probably need to be 50 to survive (or maybe even access) the expansion areas and I'm not sure it would make sense for my Au Ra to go to Eorzea straight away, all depending on what the lore is like. On top of my slow leveling speed, it would take me eons before I'd get started on it. I strategically picked bard as well since it usually gets some of the armor types/models that I prefer/thinks looks best.

Edit: I rewrote this post because I hadn't read the question properly. Derp for being half awake. ._.

I'm not sure whether to turn my main into an Au Ra, or use the placeholder alt I made still at level 1. I find it very difficult to manage alts - I don't know how you all do it! But she will be a fresh concept of a character new to Eorzea. My ideas can easily be adapted to any lore we find, though with so much new content I doubt I'll be role playing straight away any way!

It would be nice to get a head start and talk through some possible future relationships with people, leaving room to adapt to lore as needed. No harm in speculating. :D

Yeeees! I'm still waiting for the lore, but as soon as we learn about it, maybe people could start plotting some background stories together. (EU players, are you willing? ;_; )

Yeeees! I'm still waiting for the lore, but as soon as we learn about it, maybe people could start plotting some background stories together. (EU players, are you willing? ;_; )

Count me in, if you don't mind a roleplay newbie. :D

I don't see the point in creating a character when we know next to nothing about them. At best people will need to make major changes as fresh lore trickles in. At worst they'll be off doing their own thing and dampen the impact of this strange and mysterious race arriving during their official debut.

With that said, I'm not entirely sure that I'll make one. I like their design and their lore may intrigue me but much like Miqo'te it's likely that there's just going to be too many. When the initial hype has died down I may invest in one but as it stands I'm pretty happy with what my current character brings to the table...and Heavensward will allow him to progress further along with his personal storyline.

I've created a "placeholder" character that will become an Au Ra. It's mostly in quotes because I still RP as him actually being surprisingly scaly, but in the actual game he's just a Highlander. Of course, considering he's decked from head to toe in armor, it's like not anyone would know the difference. :lol:

The reasons for starting early are twofold - one, to start building connections and get a feel for the character (whose background actually can either incorporate or run without the upcoming Au Ra lore, depending)... and to knock out some of the leveling beforehand, especially for potential cross-class skills and quality of life things like the chocobo and glamouring. I actually was going to wait until we had some more Au Ra lore, but I got an interesting alternative take I realized I could do with Judge. Did some lore checking, and have a potentially interesting take to play out, I think.

Of course, once actual lore hits, there's nothing saying I might not do more tweaks to his background. :blush:

(There are no actual art doodles to display).

Awww. :(

If I make one (still a bit undecided), it's going to be a brand spankin' new character. Just waiting for a lore drop before I finalise any plans.

This.  He'll be brand-spanking new, and glorious.  If the character concepts hold with the lore when it's made available to us.

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, by new do you mean a brand new roleplay character that has nothing to do with an existing roleplay character but might be created from an existing game character, or new as in creating a new character and starting out at level 1 with nothing?

I think you mean the latter?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, by new do you mean a brand new roleplay character that has nothing to do with an existing  roleplay character but might be created from an existing game character, or new as in creating a new character and starting out at level 1 with nothing?

I think you mean the latter?

Sorry for being unclear, I meant the former. If you kill off a character and fantasia them into a new Au Ra then that would be considered new. I was asking because I heard that many people were deciding that their characters were Au Ra all along or ICly became one through fantasia-styled means - which is fine, but I'd hate to think that this was the case for a significant portion of the community since it would be a bit like the miqo'te situation and how there seem to be so few, tribals around. Non-tribals are vital and great to see but sadly it ended up feeling as though the actual lore got neglected ICly or OOCly(and by that I mean it didn't garner a lot of interest).

Lore makes things exciting so I'd feel pretty disappointed if there where a handful of people conforming to whatever lore is thrown out for the Au Ra and then everyone else is practically indistinguishable from any other person outside of appearances.

Anyways, that's merely the reason. Let's not start talking about miqo'te again, haha.

Edit:

OP has been modified. I hope it reads more clearly now!

Gotcha. Then mine will be brand new by means of Rakka'li's story ending and the avatar being name changed + fantasia'd.

I have a ton of ideas written down but most or all of them will be discarded when we get the lore. They're only speculative thought exercises for now, though I do hope a few in particular will be possible.

And agreed, no Miqo'te discussion here plz.

Definitely! To both you and Aris, I'm sure we can make something work when the lore comes out :D

Definitely! To both you and Aris, I'm sure we can make something work when the lore comes out :D

I'm leveling one of my placeholder alts for the role as well.

I'll merge and alter the background I had on him for the lore when it comes out.

Already have an alt set up for the race that I'm leveling in preparation for Heavensward. Currently I'm just saying she's glamored so I can enjoy RP on her in the meantime and will tweak things as necessary once we get more information on Au Ras.