Tiergan's Scribbles

Tiergan

Hello there! I felt the hankering to poke about the RPC a little more again and decided a good way to start was to make a new art thread (the old one looks like a ghost-town of broken links).

My name is Tiergan. I draw for fun and these days I mostly draw my grumpy cat man while trying to carve my way out of a very long and exhausting art block.

Enjoy!

tier_lion_by_yanareku-dbg8bhv.png

aerik_final_by_yanareku-daharsc.png

delial_fin_by_yanareku-daok7g3.png

nalli2_final_by_yanareku-dakq7z6.png

lookatthesenerds_by_yanareku-day6iz4.png

tumblr_o9q1opqc2t1td3zrno1_1280.png

tumblr_inline_ou94srK7RC1sgm1gs_540.png

tumblr_oprzvlu79v1td3zrno1_1280.png

Thank you! Alas - I haven't drawn much art of lizards and popotos, all though I should, because I have both as alts.

Here's what little I have:

tumblr_o9th26x1mE1td3zrno1_1280.png

tumblr_ne1sw41wVC1td3zrno8_1280.jpg

I should probably one day draw my little bard Leilani - the smallest and story-hungriest of popotos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! ;_;

I made an expression set for answering asks on Tumblr and organized it in a way that lets me mix and match eyebrows, eyes, and mouths to make all the different expressions on the fly. I figured I'd show off a few here for fun. :)

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo7_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo2_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo6_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo4_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo3_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo1_1280.png

tumblr_ovl3x9VrYD1vuv8cbo5_1280.png

Beautiful works! May I ask what kind of software you use? I happen to be an art student going for my bachelors (now) so I'm always looking for new things to try. I've mostly used Photoshop/Corel Painter 2017, but I've also been using Paint Tool Sai as of recent.

And if you have the time, may I ask what your basic 'process' would be when making an artwork for yourself? (As in, your beginning stages, middle stages, end, etc. I really like how soft the tones change in the face with however you are blending. Marvelous. ) Purely for educational use. :3

I use Photoshop CC. I used to use Corel Painter, but there are tools in Photoshop that I use all the time for correcting mistakes, which don’t exist in Painter (at least the 2012 version.) My brushset can be found here. I spend 90% of my time using the square brush. To have it display properly, you’ll need to grab the little bottom right corner triangle and expand the little brush-window until things look like this:

tumblr_inline_ovmut5ocJh1sgm1gs_540.png

I typically start off by blocking in big blobby, noodly shapes in greyscale and start sketching/rendering that up with more and more detail. This is all done with the plan that I will add color later via blending modes. By working in greyscale first, I can roughly figure out my values/shading without also having to worry about color at the same time. The old masters used to do something similar with oil painting by creating a grisaille first and adding washes of color later.

tumblr_inline_ovmrc9KL2F1sgm1gs_540.png

To add color my usual choices for blending modes are Multiply layer first right over the greyscale with an Overlay layer on top of that to stop things from getting too dark. I also use Overlay to do a bit of lighting adjustment too if I feel things would look better a bit brighter or darker. I try to also keep warm vs cool colors in mind at this point as well. You’ll notice that Tiergan’s pectorals, face, and the shoulder closest to the light are a bit brighter and warmer - while things get subtly darker and cooler as you get lower down his torso. Things look really funky and weird in this stage, but you just have to trust in the process and know it will gradually get less fugly.

tumblr_inline_ovmskrg0DA1sgm1gs_540.png

Speaking of blending modes - I love the fuck out of them and I feel like they are an extremely powerful tool in your toolkit. Other blending modes I tend to use sometimes are Saturation (to knock things back if I made the colors too over-saturated using Overlay), Color (for color adjustment like the name suggests), Lighten (to affect only lighter values while leaving darker ones alone), Darken (tweak only darker values while leaving the lighter ones alone, Screen (great for glows), Linear Dodge (extremely situational, but can be neat for rim-lights, magic effects, and LIGHT SABERS if you put the blending mode on your brush).

Once I am satisfied with the color, I flatten everything and resume painting from there in full color, continuing to render and polish everything up, adding in all the details. I tend to do this by making new layers and painting on top instead of directly on my flattened layer. Sometimes I’ll have two or more extra layers set to Normal to paint different things. The reason I do this is so if I don’t like how I’ve rendered things, I can erase parts of it or just nuke it all back to a clean slate - without destroying the base foundation I’ve created.

I use a mix of Normal layers and layers with blending modes to render depending on what I need. Sometimes further along in the painting, I’ll realise I want to make things even brighter/darker and push the values more - so I’ll do something like add n Overlay or Multiply layer to do that, then add a Normal layer on top of all of that to keep painting in color. (And then flatten everything again when I start getting antsy about there being too many layers.)

tumblr_inline_ovmswtWqYL1sgm1gs_540.png

You’ll notice above I realised that I forgot Tiergan’s hair and that he was looking super bald the more I rendered, so I just added it in on its own separate ‘hair’ layer. At the same time, I probably had another layer right beneath it that was just for rendering out all the skin details.

I always try to work as non-destructively as possible. This is also why I have so many versions of the same file and can show you past snapshots of what I was doing - every time I’m about to make a major decision, I save the file as a whole new copy of itself before continuing. Other ways I try to work non-destructively is to use Layer Masks instead of actually erasing things unless I am POSITIVE I want something gone and never want to bring it back.

If my character is on a separate layer from my background (which usually is the case, but not what I did this time around) - I abuse the shit out of Clipping Mask layers to paint only on my character. In fact, I used clipping masks on the ‘Hair’ layer I mentioned earlier to paint only on the hair when I wanted to add lights and shadows to it without risking fucking up the surrounding areas. The shadow cast by the hair onto the skin I did on a different layer just beneath the Hair layer.

Note: If you’re reading this and your first question is “What the heck is a Layer Mask/Clipping mask?” - then HOLY SHIT NUGGETS MY FREN, READ THIS AND FEEL YOUR MIND BEING BLOWN.

tumblr_inline_ovmtvsHtut1sgm1gs_540.png

When I feel like I’m finished, I more often than not do a final pass of lighting/color adjustments and some finishing touches that would be tougher to do earlier in the process (like scars!) either with blending modes (to push or dial back lights/shadows, adjust colors/saturation) or slap a gradient map on top of everything as an adjustment layer set to low opacity to kinda help harmonize all the colors. It’s a little easier for me to try and bring everything together once all the information is there on the canvas and I just need to tie stuff together.

tumblr_inline_ovmu34Pgg01sgm1gs_540.png

As for how I blend - almost all my brushes are set to change opacity depending on pen-pressure. Thus when blending values/colors, I just use the eyedropper tool to choose a color/value I want and use light brush-strokes to blend. When I REALLY want something to be soft, I use a big ole fuzzy airbrush-type brush and very, very lightly put down a stroke or two - but I do this very sparingly and try to avoid relying on fuzzy-brushes to blend as it can very quickly lead to your paintings looking like mashed potatoes. Making sure you have a nice mix of hard crisp edges and soft ones will make your work feel nicer.

And that’s it! I hope it was helpful!

Dude! Thank you -so- very much for taking that time to explain all of that. It was certainly eye opening!

They just recently taught us how to use the grisaille technique in my last Digital Media course--to be honest, I don't think they explained things as well as you did. I can certainly see how it can be used now; it is certainly effective!

The eyedropper blending is also something my reeeally awesome digital painting instructor a few semesters ago taught us. I used to use the blur tool as a way to blend; the eyedropper is great!

Once again, thank you very much for taking that time. It was so educational. :D

• 5 months later...