Too much woman to handle?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My adoration for Femroes actually bleeds into Edgar's personality ever-so slightly. He has a natural tendency to become infatuated with women who are much taller than he is.

ya just wanna be tossed over a shoulder and carried off, don't ya? ;3

...Yes. ;_;

(Post for Serious: What a lame comment from the developers.  I think its been well enough expressed by the rest of this thread though ^_^ )

To be fair, I think their reasoning is totally justified, as much as it may disappoint those with a taste for muscular/larger-framed women.

To be fair, I think their reasoning is totally justified, as much as it may disappoint those with a taste for muscular/larger-framed women.

I would have to agree. Our opinions and census size are based on Balmung and the Role-play community. Their census sample is based off the entire playerbase. Even if Balmung is the highest density population, it is still only a fraction of the whole.

I was really disappointed to read that they were thinking of making stockier Au Ra females but decided not to because roegadyn and highlander females aren't popular. Though, I always suspected this was going to be the case. I was expecting the females of the new race to be super pretty, especially since this is an Asian mmo. (Though not their extreme height difference, that surprised me)

I don't know if I would call highlanders 'muscular' personally. I would say 'toned' and 'physically in shape.' She looks like she works out or plays a sport. But she doesn't look like a female weight lifter or body builder. I'm not even sure I would call it a "warrior's build." I find it worrying purely on the basis of "They just look healthy...so what?"

Highlander and roegadyn females are "muscular women lite."

(Post for Serious: What a lame comment from the developers.  I think its been well enough expressed by the rest of this thread though ^_^ )

Hell no, they're compromising artistic integrity and game lore to pander to fans who can't handle strong-looking women.

"Why do these genders look nothing alike?"

"Because fans are basic"

Hell no, they're compromising artistic integrity and game lore to pander to fans who can't handle strong-looking women.

"Why do these genders look nothing alike?"

"Because fans are basic"

I... uh, I really like Au Ra females but I also REALLY appreciate the aesthetic of Roe and Highlander women. It's a personal preference, sure, and it happens to be a generally popular one. Companies, ultimately, do have to sacrifice some artistic tastes when they have 'can we sell tons of this' in mind. Especially since, by rights, this game was nearly canceled. Roegadames and Highlander women didn't even exist in 1.0. And it's a little hurtful to say that anyone who has a particular taste is 'basic' just because it's popular and sells well.

There will be naysayers no matter what side they went with. Au Ra were a highly anticipated race, it was in everyones' best interests that they make bother genders as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

Anyways, the height/build discrepancy is quite interesting in a way. It's reminiscent of certain types of animals/mammals and insects out there.

I... uh, I really like Au Ra females but I also REALLY appreciate the aesthetic of Roe and Highlander women. It's a personal preference, sure, and it happens to be a generally popular one. Companies, ultimately, do have to sacrifice some artistic tastes when they have 'can we sell tons of this' in mind. Especially since, by rights, this game was nearly canceled. Roegadames and Highlander women didn't even exist in 1.0. And it's a little hurtful to say that anyone who has a particular taste is 'basic' just because it's popular and sells well.

Don't be hurt by what is essentially politics, it's all impassionate!

It's relative to the standards I see of Square Enix. FFXIV is a very lore-heavy world, and I love it for the attention to detail and lengths they go to in making it a 'real fantasy', and not some whimsy 'plane of the gods' where anything is justifiable. Seeing them cave in like this disappointing.

Don't be hurt by what is essentially politics, it's all impassionate!

It's relative to the standards I see of Square Enix. FFXIV is a very lore-heavy world, and I love it for the attention to detail and lengths they go to in making it a 'real fantasy', and not some whimsy 'plane of the gods' where anything is justifiable. Seeing them cave in like this disappointing.

"Cave in" to what, precisely?

There will be naysayers no matter what side they went with. Au Ra were a highly anticipated race, it was in everyones' best interests that they make bother genders as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

Anyways, the height/build discrepancy is quite interesting in a way. It's reminiscent of certain types of animals/mammals and insects out there.

I was a little hesitant to talk more about Au Ra since this thread isn't really about them....But I'll take a moment to share a thought that hopefully doesn't make the thread go too off-topic.

Interestingly, female roegadyn are the only gender/race with a height min/max higher than 4-5 inches. Female roegadyn have an entire FOOT in height range. While I love thick, muscled, badass women, I was anticipating Au Ra for their dragon/reptilian themes. I don't mind their doe-eyed looks as much as I do their height difference. I know some folks like it but I don't. They look like children next to the men. It's the same reason why some folks don't like lalafells pairing with other races.

However, the fact that female roegadyns have such a huge height range gives me hope for a tall female Au Ra. So pumped for Benchmark! (And a big height range would give a little something for everyone too! :) )

Cave in to demands by the player base for more effeminate, cute, conventionally attractive girly-girls?

I thought that was obvious?

Giving people what they ask for isn't "caving in." It's giving people what they ask for. You know, good customer service.

"Giving people what they ask for" can itself be considered "caving in".

This is all silly semantics anyway, I don't really see the point of this conversation.

Cave in to demands by the player base for more effeminate, cute, conventionally attractive girly-girls?

I thought that was obvious?

Giving people what they ask for isn't "caving in." It's giving people what they ask for. You know, good customer service.

"Giving people what they ask for" can itself be considered "caving in".

This is all silly semantics anyway, I don't really see the point of this conversation.

I don't think we live on the same planet sometimes.

Giving people what they want -- people who are paying for the product, mind you, is not 'caving in'. When the ice cream vendor gives me the rainbow sprinkles I asked for on my sundae, they aren't 'caving in'. They're rendering me a service. 

Not to mention, we have options. You can be a cat-girl. You can be a potato girl. You can be a little human-chan, a big human-chan, or run around with the body of a Williams sister. Adding petite dragon-succubus-chan to that as well, things are looking pretty decent!

Edit: I forgot gangly long-necked-chan!

All I'm gonna say in this thread is THIS IS WHAT I WISH WE'D GOTTEN, FOR MALE AND FEMALE ALIKE:

Bangaa_races.JPG

Also to remind everyone to keep this a civil conversation. No inflammatory remarks or backhanded comments. Thank you.

As opposed to when they "caved in" and gave us the female roegadyns we love so much?

I don't know what exactly their mindset was when they added them, but the fact was that there was an obvious hole there and there was no existing metric to suggest that they would be unpopular so they added them as they are now.

The fact that they're now using metrics to go in the other, more popular direction is indicative of a change. One that I, at least, find unwelcome.

Fortunately, I am in the really extreme minority on this one, so the majority that's being serviced can go on being pleased. And hopefully everyone rerolls Au Ra so I can feel special.

I was a little hesitant to talk more about Au Ra since this thread isn't really about them....But I'll take a moment to share a thought that hopefully doesn't make the thread go too off-topic.

Interestingly, female roegadyn are the only gender/race with a height min/max higher than 4-5 inches. Female roegadyn have an entire FOOT in height range. While I love thick, muscled, badass women, I was anticipating Au Ra for their dragon/reptilian themes. I don't mind their doe-eyed looks as much as I do their height difference. I know some folks like it but I don't. They look like children next to the men. It's the same reason why some folks don't like lalafells pairing with other races.

However, the fact that female roegadyns have such a huge height range gives me hope for a tall female Au Ra. So pumped for Benchmark! (And a big height range would give a little something for everyone too! :) )

It's still in line with the theme of the topic, so as long as Seriphyn doesn't mind then I think it should be okay.

Not to discredit your own opinion and feelings on height of course, but I honestly don't see that much a problem with it personally - not in a personal taste sense, but it just isn't that significant even objectively speaking, at least to me. The females still make it to shoulder-height against the males assuming you don't use a taller and/or shorter female/male and that's totally fine with me. Why exactly should all of the genders in each race conform to a similar height criteria? It makes the Au Ra more different and unique that way.

I completely disagree on the female looking like children though, haha... and even more that you would compare that to the situation with lalas!!!11!

Giving people what they want -- people who are paying for the product, mind you, is not 'caving in'. When the ice cream vendor gives me the rainbow sprinkles I asked for on my sundae, they aren't 'caving in'. They're rendering me a service. 

Not to mention, we have options. You can be a cat-girl. You can be a potato girl. You can be a little human-chan, a big human-chan, or run around with the body of a Williams sister. Adding petite dragon-succubus-chan to that as well, things are looking pretty decent!

Edit: I forgot gangly long-necked-chan!

See, there's this thing called 'integrity' that I happen to value above and beyond mere profit motives and is especially applicable to fictional universes with an internal logic and history that should, hopefully, presumably make sense once everything is all put together, and hewing towards marketing-directed designs goes fully against that particular value of mine. Hence, I consider caving into marketing and the almighty dollar exactly that.

It's a damn good thing I don't run the company! As you all say, they are a business being run as a business, so they'll do whatever they have to to keep the company afloat. As a customer, I don't have to share any of those values whatsoever, and frankly I don't care about the justifications that people use to apologize for the company's decisions.