Do you play any other MMO's?

Although MMO's generally require a lot of investment it's not unusual to encounter individuals who split their time between two or more. In some cases they do this to help combat stagnation. In other cases it's because established friendships and/or nostalgia encourage them to stick around or at least check back in from time to time to see how a game has evolved since their departure.

As for me? FFXIV is and likely always will be my primary MMO. I adore it and it offers most of what I seek out of an MMO. Yet to prevent myself from burning out I do - from time to time - check back on my blood elf over in WoW.

WoW itself doesn't hold nearly as much allure to me as it once did and unless the developers make some pretty major changes to the core game mechanics I predict that it'll continue to decline in popularity.

Established friendships, however, forged over the course of seven years prove to make the occasional return worthwhile. I can, of course, speak to most of them over Skype if I so desire though it isn't the same as actually playing something with them - and not all of them wish to try out FFXIV.

So! Does anyone else invest in another MMO other than FFXIV, or at least stray to one from time to time? I'm curious!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh I've played far too many MMO's in the past, far too many to list. I "recently" left a temporary play of WoW to return to XIV. Before that I played TOR since launch. I recently redownloaded it; but I just... Feel it's very lack luster and I have difficulty trying to get back into it.

This being said I guess... I am playing TOR while I play XIV. Or attempting to come up with a focus on a new character. We'll see if it lasts.

Eh I've played far too many MMO's in the past, far too many to list. I "recently" left a temporary play of WoW to return to XIV. Before that I played TOR since launch. I recently redownloaded it; but I just... Feel it's very lack luster and I have difficulty trying to get back into it.

This being said I guess... I am playing TOR while I play XIV. Or attempting to come up with a focus on a new character. We'll see if it lasts.

Likewise - I think I've tried out pretty much every major MMO that has come out in the last five years. So far WoW, GW1 and FFXIV are the only MMO's that have kept my long term interest. I quite liked a lot of elements of ESO, Wildstar and GW2 but they didn't do enough to keep me around on a long term basis.

I've not played ESO, but I did play GW1- I didn't rp in it; but I didn't stay long. I tried WS, and I felt so ditched because it just came off a "We're a Scifi! Haha... no we're not, we're fantasy masquerading as such!" the community was also offputting especially as a female. :/

I've not played ESO, but I did play GW1- I didn't rp in it; but I didn't stay long. I tried WS, and I felt so ditched because it just came off a "We're a Scifi! Haha... no we're not, we're fantasy masquerading as such!" the community was also offputting especially as a female. :/

I mostly treated GW1 as a single player game. I didn't invest in the community itself and once I'd completed the storyline I took my leave. Wildstar...I wanted to love it - and the housing system was brilliant. Yet with EU and NA servers being region locked the EU role-playing community died off pretty quickly and nobody was able to transfer to the larger, more healthy NA servers.

I did love the Cassian, Mechari and Eldan stuff though - it's just a shame that it wasn't given much focus. What we've seen of the Allagan in FFXIV is, ironically, the sort of stuff I was expecting from Wildstar.

I mostly treated GW1 as a single player game. I didn't invest in the community itself and once I'd completed the storyline I took my leave. Wildstar...I wanted to love it - and the housing system was brilliant. Yet with EU and NA servers being region locked the EU role-playing community died off pretty quickly and nobody was able to transfer to the larger, more healthy NA servers.

I did love the Cassian, Mechari and Eldan stuff though - it's just a shame that it wasn't given much focus. What we've seen of the Allagan in FFXIV is, ironically, the sort of stuff I was expecting from Wildstar.

I wasn't aware that EU/NA were region locked. Bah that sucks. :/ Honestly you didn't miss too much though with the RP scene in WS. The housing was amazing and I loved it, but I just feel like there was a lot lacking especially storywise. Like you said; stuff with the Allagan is closer to what was expected.

I can generally only play one MMO at a time but I'm big into WoW usually. Just taking a vacation here.

I also have GW2 installed which I enjoy RPing on but can't really stand to level there anymore.

Otherwise I've played most MMO's that you'd care to name. From ten minutes (TERA was a huge menuspam that made me nope.gif to the uninstallation menu) to several thousand hours (World of Warcraft).

I find I can only really focus on one MMO at a time, given how much time I devote to my studies 2/3 of the year. I still have a few installed, though, in case my friends ever give me a reason to play them (GW2, Mabinogi, ArcheAge, Wildstar), but some I doubt I will ever touch again.

Last year I got pretty MMO crazy, trying to find my new permanent game after I lost interest in GW2, which is what led me to Wildstar (then the community disappeared), and ArcheAge (then the money-grabbing company and drama between all the RPers I could find scared me off), before finally finding FFXIV in late fall. I've been happy here ever since. :)

Though I still have an active sub for Wildstar because of the Free* stuff you get for subbing until they go F2P this fall. But I think it's a bit silly that I can't find motivation to play it despite already paying monthly. Bleh. At least an active sub lets me use the game for references when I draw my old characters.

PlanetSide 2. Nowhere near the frequency back then since I play FFXIV and dropped out of the inter-server competition management scene, but it's casual.

Considering ArcheAge again, after I played it in early access release to Auroria? Definitely thinking Ollo server the next time and not Salphira though. Not planning on a Blighter, even with the guide I made back then. Necromancer seems fun, at least.

With all my medical bills, medications costs and such, I don't get to try as many MMOs as I would like.  Sure, there are plenty of free games out there, and I do play around in a few of them, but they usually don't hold my interest for too long for one reason or another.

I've been playing EverQuest and EverQuest 2 on and off for the majority of their lifetimes.  EQ was my first MMO that I had ever played substantially, and much like a first love, it will always hold a place in my heart.  

Most other games I play are either too infrequent to consider myself a regular player (DCUO, Digimon Masters Online, Champions Online, WoW, etc.) or have been shut down (Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes, etc.).  

And while not really an MMO so much as a virtual sandbox, I do visit Second Life frequently.  Had a LOT of fun with various RP groups in there ranging from established franchise based RP (such as Star Wars, DC Comics and Harry Potter) to basic genre themed RP (such as Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Steampunk, etc.).  I've also made some good friends that I met there that have either joined me in other MMOs or introduced me to games I might not have tried otherwise.

I did FFXI a bit while waiting for Heavensward launch. I picked up the WoW 7-day free thing for this week, but... I just don't think I'm going to do it. Without the expac, there isn't any new content to see, and I'm sure as heck not paying for it, and unless they give me a way to server transfer characters en masse for a reasonable price, I'm probably not playing it with any seriousness again. (Also, they need a content patch schedule that isn't a trainwreck.) I have TERA on hand if I get bored, but I usually hit up single-player stuff for burn-out reduction, rather than other MMOs. I would play GW2, but... reasons. As is always the case with MMOs for me, there are a lot of them that I would play if the one I'm playing right now didn't exist.

Lets see...Sw:tor, Wow, Archeage, DCUO, marvel heroes, and SW galaxies

See, I want to play SWTOR.  The problem is, every time I log in, I get annoyed by how bad the Preferred/F2Play system is.

It is fairly rough but the way I see it if Im gonna play Ill pay. Im playing to enjoy it. Like renting a movie! But yes it is quite unfair much like DCUO.

I'm honestly surprised that I'm not more in to DCUO solely for the fact that I can actually play as a Green Lantern (my favorite superhero idea), but while I do pop in now and then, I can't seem to stay interested for longer than short spans of time.  It isn't a bad game overall or anything like that, I just can't seem to stay interested for too long.  

That said, I recently bought the Rage powers (had some spare SC from subbing to EQ2 and there was a sale) and I'm trying to think of a fun weapon to pair with it.  I'm leaning toward either shield or two-handed to start with since I've enjoyed other pairings with those weapons.

I'm honestly surprised that I'm not more in to DCUO solely for the fact that I can actually play as a Green Lantern (my favorite superhero idea), but while I do pop in now and then, I can't seem to stay interested for longer than short spans of time.  It isn't a bad game overall or anything like that, I just can't seem to stay interested for too long.  

That said, I recently bought the Rage powers (had some spare SC from subbing to EQ2 and there was a sale) and I'm trying to think of a fun weapon to pair with it.  I'm leaning toward either shield or two-handed to start with since I've enjoyed other pairings with those weapons.

For Rage I went fist. I typically play with a bow on my healer or a rifle.

I do not have time to do such.

I used to play TERA though. Also, I've considered trying PSO2. (Yeah they're all weeb, so sue me.)

Hrrk. I used to play TERA as well. I used to think the game so wonderful until I tried FFXIV. I could go on for days about the things I don't like from the former...

I enjoy Guild Wars 2 quite a bit; waiting for Heart of Thorns to drop and have the tomes ready to dash all the way to 80. I appreciate that I can pick it up and drop it whenever I want, and while the PvP occasionally has its issues (Skyhammer....) I never feel like it's unfair and I always enjoy when a game has a good PvP component. I also like the Barbie Dressup progression - horizontal progression where the only thing that separates the gear is the type of stats you want on it as opposed to the number of stats and what the gear looks like. There's no real treadmill outside of putting outfits together and trying out different builds.

I don't think it'll take over FFXIV as my main MMO for some time - for one, I don't roleplay on Guild Wars 2 at all and I basically have no friends on there (though that's okay because GW2 is hugely friendly to solo play) but it's a very nice option to have. Gonna get that Revenant!